PDA

View Full Version : Looking for pump pictures

roostwear
07-13-2004, 08:05 PM
The project I'm working on isn't boat related, but I'm about 75% sure they originally used either a Magnaflow, Jabsco, or Neovane pump. Dig out those pictures,,,, I need to figure out what pump was used and how it was plumbed, and the more pictures I can see, the better.
It's hard to see, and this is the best shot I have, but it is belt driven off the lower blower pulley.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/896shotgun_pump.jpg

superdave013
07-14-2004, 07:00 AM
I don't think Magnaflow's were around back then were they? Would be a good one to use though as it flows gang busters.
I don't think a Neovane would cut it in a car. Jabsco prolly makes what you need with out the long neck like the Magnaflow pumps have.
I can't wait to see this deal.

roostwear
07-14-2004, 07:32 AM
Another problem I have to deal with is rpm. The magnaflow is rated at 3500 rpm, and this engine will turn 6000. I don't have the room to go with much bigger of a pump pulley to reduce the speed, either.
Pics, anyone?

hyevon
07-14-2004, 07:39 AM
if thats a crank driven pump call moon eyes in santa fe springs cal they have all those old pupms

superdave013
07-14-2004, 07:40 AM
Roost, most of us drive them off the cam.
Old Neovane
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/4876_cole_s_water_pump2-med.JPG
Magnaflow on the right. Kuhl river rat in the middle and a fuel injector pump on the left.
Now that Kuhl pump would be something to think about because you can mount it to a Hilborn belt drive kit. Ask nice and I'll lone it to ya. :)
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/1503pumps.jpg

hyevon
07-14-2004, 07:42 AM
looking at the picture you have that does not look like a pump looks like a shaft with a fan blade

superdave013
07-14-2004, 07:44 AM
Originally posted by hyevon
looking at the picture you have that does not look like a pump looks like a shaft with a fan blade
Look at the belt that behind the blower pulley. Looks like the pump in mounted lower then the engine.

roostwear
07-14-2004, 08:47 AM
It is mounted below the crank. I'm waiting for a response from the original builder, but it's been 34 years since he built it, and a few details are a little fuzzy to him. I'm lucky he kept all the photos he did!
I can't run a cam driven pump. I already have a magneto and fuel pump driven off the cam.

superdave013
07-14-2004, 08:57 AM
to bad you didn't have just a tad more room in the cam area. That's the nice thing about the Khul pump. It bolts to the cam cover and all that other stuff bolts to the other end of the water pump. No way would it fit by looking at that pic.

roostwear
07-14-2004, 09:02 AM
It looks like I could make the Magnaflow work. Is that a -16 inlet? The dual outlet(s) is perfect, too. Since there isn't any conventional water pump (and block entry), the coolant enters the block thru the front screw in freeze plugs on each side of the block. From what little I can see from other photos, the original pump had a dual outlet also.

superdave013
07-14-2004, 09:12 AM
they make two sizes. The large has 1" pipe on the inlet. The smaller one has 3/4" pipe.
The one in the pic is the big guy with a -16 inlet fitting.

roostwear
07-14-2004, 10:04 AM
What diameter is the pump shaft, and is it long enough to machine for a (keyed) pulley?

wsuwrhr
07-14-2004, 02:59 PM
Roost,
Are we looking at a shot of the original motor in your roadster? I think I recognize the framerails.
Very cool.
Brian

roostwear
07-14-2004, 03:26 PM
That's a shot of the roadster from 1970, and it is the original engine. It will be going back in again :D (no, I haven't completely lost my mind) The current owner of the engine has graciously offered me the engine to put back in the car, while I build another. I am buying all the exclusive parts (blower, drive, mag, fuel pump, cam drive, manifold, carbs) from him, and when the new engine is done, will be transferring those parts over. I'll probably be trying to call in a few machining favors ;) when I start mounting/modifying water pumps, alternators, etc. The body is already at the shop being sanded down to reveal the original graphics (for duplication), and the Halibrands were dropped off at the polisher today, and I should be mounting the M&H cheaters on the rears this weekend :D This will be EXACTLY as it was in 1970. I doubt anyone has seen anything THIS badass in decades! Ready for another ride?

superdave013
07-14-2004, 03:53 PM
Shaft is pretty short. If you would like you can come over and look at one some time.
I think you would not want to put the load of a pulley on that anyway. You will need a mount with a bearing that has a shaft that attaches to the Magnaflow pump on one end and a pulley on the other.
That shaft would be short work for wusuoweruownoeuryowl. :)

07-14-2004, 05:24 PM
Ever think of using an electric water pump? Or two if needed. Jabsco makes several different electric pumps that might work for you so you wouldn't need to fabricate some sort of complicated drive system.

roostwear
07-14-2004, 06:28 PM
I've been considering every option i can think of (and more), but it all comes back to one thing...... I'm restoring this back to day one. It's going to be a lot harder than just engineering the easiest (or even best) way, and it's getting expensive, but this car deserves nothing less. I'd be willing to bet you have a picture of this car on one of your reference materials. Ford Performance by Pat Ganahl? On there. Cover of PHR? Yup. Winner of Winternationals and LA Roadsters car shows? Yes. I guess I am old school. I'll be grinning ear-to-ear when I nail it and it smokes the hell out of the tires and lifts the front end when it hooks up. :D

Roman 1
07-14-2004, 06:37 PM
Is that a Boss ford??
RC:cool:

roostwear
07-14-2004, 06:52 PM
:D Nascar Boss motor

coolchange
07-14-2004, 06:59 PM
It doesn't duplicate what yu have but there are some stern drive pumps that are belt driven. I help pput one on a buddies flat that had a cam driven inj pump. I think it was a Volvo item and would move a lot more water than a neovane. Also there is an old Chrysler pump that can be made stand alone that would be year correct for the resto. they use them on SBC conversions in the Porsche 914. search "beach boys porsche" or v8 914. I cant remember who made the kits. Renegade made them I think.
http://www2.adnc.com/~mhargett/smallblock3.gif

roostwear
07-14-2004, 07:19 PM
Just found this shot. Not what I thought it was at all. This is an early picture.... no fan, or headlights. Still can't tell how it's mounted. Damn 35 year old pictures!
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/896pump1.jpg

wsuwrhr
07-14-2004, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by roostwear
Ready for another ride?
Damn skippy I am.
Brian

wsuwrhr
07-14-2004, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by roostwear
I'll be grinning ear-to-ear when I nail it and it smokes the hell out of the tires and lifts the front end when it hooks up. :D
Damn, be careful with those framerails young one.
Brian

wsuwrhr
07-14-2004, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by superdave013
wusuoweruownoeuryowl
Care to decode that for me?
Can you guys hear the machine running in the background?
Brian
:)

superdave013
07-14-2004, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by wsuwrhr
Care to decode that for me?
Can you guys hear the machine running in the background?
Brian
:)
machine must be making some Sweet carb flanges. :cool:

wsuwrhr
07-14-2004, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by superdave013
machine must be making some Sweet carb flanges. :cool:
It is making alot of sweet parts rght now.
Brian
:cool: