PDA

View Full Version : What type of blower and headers to use.

tbanzer
07-14-2004, 04:59 AM
I see alot of boats with roots style blowers in use with cogged style belts and I was wondering what type of pop off valves that are used. I am concerned with possible explosions in enclosed marine enviroment. I was told years ago to only use roots type blowers with ribbed style belts with no pop off because during a backfire the belt would slip. Do you guys have to use water jacketed headers or only water cooled tips?

Q-ROTOR WARLOCK
07-14-2004, 05:26 AM
your right on belt and use water cooled headers to protect from burns and fire ,etc,,
go whipple or pro-charger and hang on !!!!;)

tbanzer
07-20-2004, 07:04 PM
Come on I see alot of you guys useing 6,8or 10-71 blowers, Whats the story with pop offs on marine applications.

paradigm shift
07-21-2004, 08:52 PM
Coast guard will not approve a pop off in an enclosed engine compartment for sure. With that said I have never been checked for it though. They only look for approved spark arrestor on top of carburetor and the rest of safety equipment. I do not boat in coast guard patrolled areas to much though. I am more afraid of a fuel leak then backfire with the blower causing problems.
Blower shop is making a ribbed drive belt set up now also if you want to go that route.