PDA

View Full Version : Twin Turbos

83nordic
07-14-2004, 10:04 AM
I am looking for a twin turbo setup for BBC. Does anyone have experience with the Gale Banks stuff ? I have looked at the setup in the Blower forum but it is too tall for my compartment. I am interested in info on durability, hassle factor and power gains.
Thansk in advance.

InKahntrol
07-15-2004, 08:47 AM
I'm in the process of building a twin turbo 496 for my Campbell, and have gotten quite a bit of useful information (and the actual turbo setup) from people on this board. I know several guys in the Campbell club who have been running Banks turbo motors for over a decade without any problems at all. If you're looking for someone to build the engine for you, I know Carson Brummet specializes in Gentry setups, and I think there's a guy out in Elsinore who used to work for Banks that still works on those type setups every once in a while. Also, do a search for the keyword "turbo", I remember seeing a post not to long ago regarding Banks getting back into the turbo biz.
Good luck!
Dan

obnoxious001
07-15-2004, 09:54 AM
Banks has never been out of the turbo business, but he does mostly truck stuff, and works on his own special projects. As far as I know, they are not doing anything marine, and will not take the time to answer "marine" turbo questions. I worked for Banks in the late 70's, and can answer questions about those systems. The Gentry systems are more efficient and make more power than the old systms. The old Banks systems can be found for a reasonable price, and there isn't much to go wrong if the cooling and fuel systems are set up right.

Floored
07-15-2004, 01:30 PM
I worked for Nicson marine in mid 70's and we made the majority of parts for Banks and Ak Miller's turbo setups. Gale sure melted alot of motors in the early days.

83nordic
07-15-2004, 01:47 PM
Thanks for the input. I know Carson as i am a pretty big Mandella fan. Obnoxios i enjoyed speaking with you about the Gentry stuff but it is to darn tall. I have gotten mixed reviews on the Banks stuff, sounds like replacement parts are hard to find. I am not looking for anything crazy 750 horse more or less but this is the family ride and i need it to be reliable, as much as i enjoy turning wrenches my wife does not share my enthusiasm. Thanks again for the input everyone.

InKahntrol
07-15-2004, 10:38 PM
Again, I'm no expert when it comes to twin turbos, but I'm trying to achieve the same goals you are. I'd like to make about 750 horsepower, reliably and with little drama... I also want to keep the profile low enough to use a regular height motor box. What I'm doing is using cubes and head work to get the power numbers up there, rather than excessive boost. I'm using a 1/4 stroker crank with a long connecting rod, custom forged 8.4:1 turbo pistons, an Engle TCS7 cam, and highly ported and polished canfield aluminum heads with inconnel valves. Even without the turbos this setup should run around 500hp, and I'm going to try and keep the boost to around 10lbs. Right now the motor is just about assembled, the next step is to break everything in (cam, springs, rings, etc) natural, then I'm going to have to figure out what the hell to do with my PFM twin carb twin turbo setup. I'm hoping I can pay Carson or someone with a dyno and turbo experience to help me get it all dialed in with the turbos.
Dan

roostwear
07-19-2004, 03:45 PM
If someone is looking for a Banks twin turbo setup for BBC, I know where one can be had.

don johnson
07-19-2004, 05:15 PM
Gart Teague, GT Performance Eng in Montclair, is one of the finest Blower and Turbo engine builders on the West Coast. He and Paul Pfaff build the predominant twin turbo motors for all the speed ski boats.
I personally have experiance with Gary Teague as he has been building my motors for years. He is awesome to deal with and always available.
Gary's number is 909-982-8391. He has a large shop in Montclair that also does custom rigging.
Good Luck!

bigkatboat
07-19-2004, 08:45 PM
Dan, TCS7 is NOT the cam I was talking about. I have that cam in my Dually and it holds too much heat! The exhaust event is too small for 8.4 to one. It was designed for 7.5 motors, back in the 1970's

jerry billet
07-20-2004, 10:27 AM
putting a twin turbo set up on my 496. Race Aero.
Question. what ring gap should be used.