PDA

View Full Version : Trident Mold pictures! (finally!!!!)

Froggystyle
07-14-2004, 01:09 PM
I am more than a little excited. Our mold pulled beautifully today! Just popped it, and no pulls whatsoever! The gel was all nearly perfect, the sides were a dream and even the Trident non-skid, which we were all worried about pulled with no drama whatsoever.
We are tuning it as we speak, and this week will likely be spraying the first gelcoat and laminating.
Anyway, thought you all might be interested, as this boat has pretty much grown up with all of you guys (and gals).
Enjoy...
http://www.highperformancecars.com/froggystyle/mold_pull.jpg

MRS FLYIN VEE
07-14-2004, 01:12 PM
looks awesome.. great job..;)

mbrown2
That non-skid looks pretty trick....looking good Froggy.:cool:

Bre
Lookin good lookin good:p

OLDRAT
07-14-2004, 01:15 PM
Wes,
That's real good on the first try. I am impressed with your
imbossed non-skid. Not one void or pulled area or air
bubble that I can see.
Good luck and keep the photos coming. :)
OR

Havasu_Dreamin
07-14-2004, 01:17 PM
Looks good Wes! A certain other deckboat in the works looks very similiar, based on drawings. Hmmmmm, wonder where they got that idea?
For the life of me I'm drawing a blank here but the red is the actual mold part, right?

Mandelon
07-14-2004, 01:18 PM
Wow, thats cool. I am really happy your plans are going so well. I hope you sell a shitload of em! :D
I will have a present for you when you are a bit further along.

Lightning
07-14-2004, 01:20 PM
Looks pretty good, I remember when that thing was drawing on a piece of paper and just a pile of wood.

dicudmore
07-14-2004, 01:23 PM
glad to hear it Wes :D

rrrr
07-14-2004, 01:25 PM
Nice, Wes. Looking for a dealer in the DFW area? Send a demonstrator ASAP!
:D :D

78Eliminator
07-14-2004, 01:26 PM
God damn Wes, that is really cool and interesting!!!

RiverDave
Lookin good Wes.. :)
RD

Aqua Boogie1
Looking good!!!! Can't wait to see the finished product.

phuggit
The amount of detail you are putting into the project is awesome. Let us know when the first hull hits the water. We'd like to see it run...and it sounds like a great excuse for a party.

Tom Brown
It's great that you are sharing so much of the whole process with us, Wes. Thanks. :)
Oh yeah... looking great! :)

stoker
07-14-2004, 01:29 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Havasu_Dreamin
[B]Looks good Wes! A certain other deckboat in the works looks very similiar, based on drawings. Hmmmmm, wonder where they got that idea?
Ultra?

Havasu_Dreamin
07-14-2004, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by stoker
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Havasu_Dreamin
[B]Looks good Wes! A certain other deckboat in the works looks very similiar, based on drawings. Hmmmmm, wonder where they got that idea?
Ultra?
Negative, try again. :cool:

Froggystyle
07-14-2004, 02:34 PM
Thanks for all of the good words guys (and ladies :D )
Here are a couple more pics. From top to bottom:
1) A pretty good pic of the side swimstep area
2) Todd Yori, a good freind who really pulled through and spent a long ass day cutting metal on Sunday to help me finish welding the mold cage.
3) Dave Holder, my assistant/CAD guru who showed on his day off to help as well
4) Me, after welding nearly 700 inches of weld to that point that day.
http://www.highperformancecars.com/froggystyle/peeps.jpg
For anyone who cares, there is over 1300 linear feet of steel in that mold cage, over twice the industry standard. What it assures us is that under no circumstances will this mold ever get out of true... and that was worth every single weld booger!
Thanks again to Dave and Todd, who really pulled through. It was over 95 up there that day, and everyone was miserable, and sucked it up anyway.

welk2party
07-14-2004, 02:35 PM
[i]
For the life of me I'm drawing a blank here but the red is the actual mold part, right? [/B]
The orange is the mold and the black is the plug.

welk2party
07-14-2004, 02:35 PM
Oh yea, looks good Wes!:D :cool:

Froggystyle
07-14-2004, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by welk2party
The orange is the mold and the black is the plug.
"Boys have a penis, and girls have a vagina..."
Name that movie! :D

Froggystyle
Oh yea, looks good Wes!:D :cool:
Did you get your shirt and sticker?

welk2party
Originally posted by Froggystyle
"Boys have a penis, and girls have a vagina..."
Name that movie! :D
Kindergarten Cop?

Froggystyle
07-14-2004, 02:47 PM
Bingo!

welk2party
07-14-2004, 02:50 PM
Did you get your shirt and sticker?
I sure did. I wear the shirt and put the sticker on the truck next to the Eliminator sticker. Thanks a million.

syke-o
07-14-2004, 02:50 PM
wow.. looks great.. thanks for keepin us updated as the project moves along:)

Froggystyle
07-14-2004, 02:53 PM
I sure did. I wear the shirt and put the sticker on the truck next to the Eliminator sticker. Thanks a million.
Take a pic for me. We are going to do a little gallery on the website with pics on vehicles.
Shirt fit?

welk2party
07-14-2004, 02:57 PM
Take a pic for me. We are going to do a little gallery on the website with pics on vehicles.
Shirt fit?
Give me an hour or so, gotta charge the camera. The shirt was a tiny bit small but liveable. Thank you again.

Kilrtoy
07-14-2004, 03:00 PM
W:eek: W
Cant wait to see more of it.....

Infomaniac
07-14-2004, 03:00 PM
:D :D :D :D :D

Screaming Pete
07-14-2004, 03:05 PM
Look great Wes, I heard that Cherry pop in Escondido!!!LOL
I think you might have to make a few more molds of that plug to keep up with demand:D

dicudmore
07-14-2004, 03:07 PM
Looks good Wes! A certain other deckboat in the works looks very similiar, based on drawings. Hmmmmm, wonder where they got that idea?
Ultra?
Originally posted by Havasu_Dreamin
Negative, try again. :cool:
GENESIS :confused: :D

spectras only
07-14-2004, 03:56 PM
Is it going to be ready for seatrial when I'll be in SD in two weeks? ;) :D . Love the frame work of your mold , reminds me of my bud's Lotus super 7 unskinned:cool:

1stepcloser
07-14-2004, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by dicudmore
GENESIS :confused: :D
Double negative.
Co**an**r.....

Bense468
07-14-2004, 03:58 PM
Howard???

RiverDave
07-14-2004, 04:10 PM
Cobra Performance Boats is the one I think they are referring too. Does look kinda similar in alot of ways.. But it's missing some key elements that I really liked about Wes's boat.
I'd tell you what they are, but I don't want to see the "revised" artist rendering on their website tomorrow.. LOL
http://cobraperformanceboats.com/280_python/280_python_art.jpg
The front of that deal looks "dangerously" similar to Wes's boat actually.
Anybody know who's bottom they are splashing on that boat? Or are they going to try n copy that from Wes's deal as well?
RD

Lightning
07-14-2004, 04:14 PM
Not too suprising coming from Cobra - they seem to do that a lot.

dicudmore
07-14-2004, 05:57 PM
oh damn it.....
I remember we discussed this on here a few weeks back about the cobra copy....
I had Genesis on the mind since there are 2 fresh out of the mold for board members here ;)
my apologies to Genesis :D

DryHeatOnly
07-14-2004, 06:45 PM
Congrats Froggy on this big-time milestone. :cool:
Are you going to capture the first born on video? :cool: :cool:
Maybe even post it?

Bense468
07-14-2004, 06:47 PM
Congrats Frogman

dicudmore
07-14-2004, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by DryHeatOnly
Congrats Froggy on this big-time milestone. :cool:
Are you going to capture the first born on video? :cool: :cool:
Maybe even post it?
I'm sure he will, and look forward to seeing it :D

FRENCHIE
07-14-2004, 06:57 PM
nice...now be patient!;)

Phat Matt
07-14-2004, 07:25 PM
Hey Wes, is that thing going to be ready for the Trident regatta? :D

hot_diggity_dog
07-14-2004, 07:44 PM
Right on Wes!!!!!
One step at a t time, looking good Bro!
HDD:cool:

novaguy
07-15-2004, 12:38 AM
Very nice my brotha!!! How can I get/buy a shirt? Your boat is looking sweet, like everything else you do. I am very excited for you.
Take care,
Rob

RP1
07-15-2004, 06:52 AM
Looks great Froggy!

Havasu_Dreamin
07-15-2004, 07:37 AM
Originally posted by RiverDave
Cobra Performance Boats is the one I think they are referring too.
We have a winner! :cool: Pesonally, if I was in the market for a deckboat I would not even consider the Cobra because it looks so similiar to to the Trident and I would not want to support that type of company. It wouldn't feel right having met Wes and Audrey in Havasu a few years ago and knowing how much work he, and his crew, have put into the Trident.

boxscore
07-15-2004, 07:43 AM
Hey frog.... could you learn us a little about the jet drive set-up on your project? I perused your website but couldn't find anything. and... shall I send you a check for a spot in line?... if anything else, that friggen embossed deck has got me sold. The small details and service is what sells boats and it appears you have half the equation solved before popping your first hull. Congrats

Evo22
07-15-2004, 08:13 AM
very cool froggy I spoke to chuck and he said it came out awsome even the non-skid keep up the good work... Im right behind you

78Eliminator
07-15-2004, 09:09 AM
Cobra Performance Boats is the one I think they are referring too. Does look kinda similar in alot of ways.. But it's missing some key elements that I really liked about Wes's boat.
I'd tell you what they are, but I don't want to see the "revised" artist rendering on their website tomorrow.. LOL
Anybody know who's bottom they are splashing on that boat? Or are they going to try n copy that from Wes's deal as well?
RD
That makes me want to puke. I hope Wes is already talking to his attorneys.....

Slib77
07-15-2004, 09:29 AM
Looking good!!!
Can't wait to see it in person.
On the web-site everyday to see if there is something new on it.
Keep up the great work.

Hallett19
07-15-2004, 09:50 AM
Wes, you are such a sell out !!! Did Pepsi get mad that you covered a few letters of their logo in that last picture ??? And you were always the one who condemed product placement...... sad sad day :D
http://www.highperformancecars.com/froggystyle/peeps.jpg

eKolbe
07-15-2004, 10:04 AM
RD
From there web site -
You've never seen a high performance air-entrapment deck boat designed like this! So ergonomically advanced it will revolutionize the industry. Years ahead of the competition.
WOW :jawdrop: :frown:

RP1
07-15-2004, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by eKolbe
From there web site -
You've never seen a high performance air-entrapment deck boat designed like this! So ergonomically advanced it will revolutionize the industry. Years ahead of the competition.
WOW :jawdrop: :frown:
What B.S... SHAMELESS!

78Eliminator
07-15-2004, 10:16 AM
You know, Wes anticipates this kind of thing. I am sure he will do fine. This industry is filled with sharks and people who are not willing to be creative, and just shoot for the money.
If I get a deck, I can assure you it will be a Trident.

Lightning
07-15-2004, 10:24 AM
They probably designed that boat just to get some sort of reaction out of people - any press is good press mentality. What a bunch of louusers.

XtrmWakeborder
07-15-2004, 10:49 AM
Very nice! can't wait to see it out on the water. Hopefully we can get a bunch of people from hb to get out there for the maiden voyage

Tremor Therapy
07-15-2004, 11:17 AM
Wes,
Congratulations! A major milestone reached! You should be very proud of you and your teams efforts. I can't wait to see the first production boat produced and your smiling face behind the wheel!

rvrtoy
07-15-2004, 11:19 AM
Congrats Wes. I can hardly wait to see the first one on the water. How soon do you think the first one will get wet?

78Eliminator
07-15-2004, 11:19 AM
Wes, you better nip that in the bud. If you need my help, I have some bud nippers.

Froggystyle
07-15-2004, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by XtrmWakeborder
Very nice! can't wait to see it out on the water. Hopefully we can get a bunch of people from hb to get out there for the maiden voyage
Thanks for all of the great words guys/gals. This has been a very long road to this point, but we are looking very forward to the coming years of finally getting to take OUR boat out for the weekend!
The first several sea trials will likely be in-cognito, but we will be taking it out to Catalina on a medium day to see what happens in big swells. (One of the reasons we put a 125 gallon fuel tank in it) We will definitely be looking for a couple of you offshore folks to make the run with for a hundred reasons.
How cool would that be... a deckboat in Avalon harbor!
Thanks again everyone...

Froggystyle
07-15-2004, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by 78Eliminator
Wes, you better nip that in the bud. If you need my help, I have some bud nippers.
Sanford and Sons... too funny!

XtrmWakeborder
07-15-2004, 11:52 AM
a deckboat in avalon? pshh what other boat could pull it off. best of luck, ill be there when it hits the river or havasu. my jet boat won't do the ocean lol

SchellSchock
07-15-2004, 12:53 PM
I KNEW the Tread pattern would pull OK. The draft on all of the cuts for the mold was 7.5°

Froggystyle
07-16-2004, 06:54 AM
Well, the molds are in my shop!
Now the work starts...

Froggystyle
07-16-2004, 07:01 AM
A couple of pics...
This thing is huge!
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=796241

78Eliminator
07-16-2004, 07:02 AM
Alright Wes, you better haul ass and make us a boat!!!!

welk2party
07-16-2004, 07:05 AM
Hey Wes, How come you did not weld any casters on those molds?

Froggystyle
07-16-2004, 07:16 AM
Hey Wes, How come you did not weld any casters on those molds?
Well, great question. Believe me... Great damn question.
Chuck Guy, the gent who built the plug and molds for this monster has a usual source of 10" casters rated for 1500# a piece. Source has dried up for no reason, and instead of being able to go down and buy eight of them, we had to shlepp it around with straps and forklifts.
The important thing is, the molds are here, we are sanding and buffing this morning, and I might finally have enough time to write a new update for everyone from the Trident site.
Justin... You wanna help put the supercharger, injectors and intercooler on in a couple of days?

78Eliminator
07-16-2004, 07:17 AM
Justin... You wanna help put the supercharger, injectors and intercooler on in a couple of days?
Dumb question ;) :D
Wes, how many cups this morning? I have had two.

Debbolas
07-16-2004, 07:19 AM
Originally posted by novaguy
Very nice my brotha!!! How can I get/buy a shirt? Your boat is looking sweet, like everything else you do. I am very excited for you.
Take care,
Rob
I want a shirt!:D

Froggystyle
07-16-2004, 07:22 AM
Dumb question ;) :D
Wes, how many cups this morning? I have had two.
Working on #2. Dave already has #3 crankin up though, so success is imminent.
You are headed to the lake today, right?

RiverDave
07-16-2004, 07:23 AM
Well, great question. Believe me... Great damn question.
Chuck Guy, the gent who built the plug and molds for this monster has a usual source of 10" casters rated for 1500# a piece. Source has dried up for no reason, and instead of being able to go down and buy eight of them, we had to shlepp it around with straps and forklifts.
The important thing is, the molds are here, we are sanding and buffing this morning, and I might finally have enough time to write a new update for everyone from the Trident site.
Now I'm not the sharpest marble in the book.. but they will overnight them to you so you can have them tomorrow. ;)
www.mcmaster.com
Type in "caster" in the search box, and about 1/2 way down the page you'll see
"Plate Mount Casters"
They have load ratings of
200 - 699 lbs
1700 - 4000 lbs
4000 lb +
RD

Jordy
07-16-2004, 07:24 AM
You've got to be like a little kid on Christmas morning Wes. Looks good. Congrats. :D

Froggystyle
07-16-2004, 07:26 AM
Originally posted by Debbolas
I want a shirt!:D
Awwww... Thanks!
The short answer is, wait a couple of weeks. I have some new shirts and shwag being made in a lot more sizes than I had initially.
Coming soon... Killer mesh tanks for guys, baby doll tees for chicks and a much larger assortment (literally and figuratively) of the regular tees with the new design.
Hold onto these first ones folks, we changed them so those will be collectors items! :D
Also coming back are visors and hats. Same ones though, just available in white this time too.
Check them out at (SPAM!!!!! But hey, you asked... ;) )...
http://www.tridentboats.com/store/main.cfm
Just give it a week or so for the new products to hit the shelves, since I don't have enough to do right now!

78Eliminator
07-16-2004, 07:28 AM
Yeah Wes, should be on the road at 2. We are delivering a Harley Davidson to Yuma, so I will have that in the bed of the truck as well as towing the boat. Hope the Tacoma doesn't have a melt down :D

Froggystyle
07-16-2004, 07:29 AM
How do you head out of town?

78Eliminator
07-16-2004, 07:33 AM
How do you head out of town?
15S
8E

Debbolas
07-16-2004, 07:39 AM
Awwww... Thanks!
The short answer is, wait a couple of weeks. I have some new shirts and shwag being made in a lot more sizes than I had initially.
Coming soon... Killer mesh tanks for guys, baby doll tees for chicks and a much larger assortment (literally and figuratively) of the regular tees with the new design.
Hold onto these first ones folks, we changed them so those will be collectors items! :D
Also coming back are visors and hats. Same ones though, just available in white this time too.
Check them out at (SPAM!!!!! But hey, you asked... ;) )...
http://www.tridentboats.com/store/main.cfm
Just give it a week or so for the new products to hit the shelves, since I don't have enough to do right now!
Let me know when you have them, I will take a 1X for Scream and a medium Baby Doll for me!
Thanks!

Froggystyle
07-16-2004, 07:55 AM
15S
8E
Swing by the shop. We are right off the 8E on North Magnolia.
I have soda...

Steamin' Rice
07-16-2004, 07:56 AM
Congrats, looks great.. I'm looking forward to seeing additional pics as it moves forward.

Froggystyle
Originally posted by Debbolas
Let me know when you have them, I will take a 1X for Scream and a medium Baby Doll for me!
Thanks!
Will do Deb!
What I will do is post a thread about the new shwag, and you will be responsible for bumping it up and keeping people on topic!
hehe....

Froggystyle
Originally posted by Steamin' Rice
Congrats, looks great.. I'm looking forward to seeing additional pics as it moves forward.
I figured you would be one of the chase boats out to Catalina! :D

Screaming Pete
07-16-2004, 08:27 AM
Just about time to switch to RED BULL:D

Steamin' Rice
07-16-2004, 08:48 AM
I figured you would be one of the chase boats out to Catalina! :D
Let me know..... :D

Froggystyle
07-17-2004, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by Steamin' Rice
Let me know..... :D
Definitely. Seems like you know your way around that particular passage... I have only done it in a 14' inflatable with a 55 hp outboard on it! And unfortunately, we drove right past it on our way to San Clemente Island.

WetWillie
07-17-2004, 04:45 PM
You bastered you can source anything!!
Now I'm not the sharpest marble in the book.. but they will overnight them to you so you can have them tomorrow. ;)
www.mcmaster.com
Type in "caster" in the search box, and about 1/2 way down the page you'll see
"Plate Mount Casters"
They have load ratings of
200 - 699 lbs
1700 - 4000 lbs
4000 lb +
RD

TheLurker
07-17-2004, 06:01 PM
Step by step, the project is looking great Wes.
Keep the pictures comming, I've really enjoyed watching the progress but i'm sure that there are things you need to hold back due to the copycats.
Looking forward to seeing the 1'st one get wet

Froggystyle
07-21-2004, 06:04 AM
Originally posted by TheLurker
Step by step, the project is looking great Wes.
Keep the pictures comming, I've really enjoyed watching the progress but i'm sure that there are things you need to hold back due to the copycats.
Looking forward to seeing the 1'st one get wet
Thanks Lurker. Update is going out this morning at 9:30. If anyone who is registered doesn't get it, drop me an e-mail at wes@tridentboats.com and I will solve the e-mail problem.
Give it a little while to send... we have over 700 registrants now, so there is a little lag in the e-mail process. All should be off by 10:30.
Like I said, with this many peeps, there ends up with quite a few returned e-mails from dead accounts etc... If you don't get it, let me know and I will try to figure out what is wrong with the addy and go from there!

Slib77
07-21-2004, 07:59 AM
30 minutes!!!!!
Who's counting?
-Serge

Froggystyle
07-21-2004, 08:39 AM
Originally posted by Slib77
30 minutes!!!!!
Who's counting?
-Serge
Comin' atcha!

Slib77
07-21-2004, 09:23 AM
Ahhhhhh, now I can't wait until the next fix.
Looking great Wes.
Seeing the molds on the 40 footer really gives it a better sense of scale.
-Serge

Froggystyle
07-21-2004, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by Slib77
Ahhhhhh, now I can't wait until the next fix.
Looking great Wes.
Seeing the molds on the 40 footer really gives it a better sense of scale.
-Serge
:confused: 40 footer?

Slib77
07-21-2004, 09:53 AM
Sorry Wes. The lowbed trailer is what I meant by 40 footer.
-Serge

RP1
07-21-2004, 09:54 AM
Nice update Wes, Thanks;)

Havasu_Dreamin
07-21-2004, 12:43 PM
Just read the update. Wes, things are looking real good. I must admit at first I was not that enamored with the scale model but after seeing the molds and additional pictures I can just imagine what this thing will look like with kicka$$ graphics. Can't want to see the first one!

Froggystyle
07-22-2004, 06:46 AM
Thanks. We finished polishing the bottom mold yesterday evening, and they are now working on the top mold. Nice and shiny. Flash kind of blows out the pic because of the reflection. Very, very straight though.
Just a quick update for all of y'all!
Thanks again for the support.
http://www.highperformancecars.com/froggystyle/polished.jpg

MagicMtnDan
07-22-2004, 06:52 AM
I'm curious...let's say a boat maker gets his first hull out on the water and he doesn't like something about how it rides or handles. Is it a "simple" matter of changing the mold or do you have to change the plug and pull another mold? Just wondering what the fine-tuning process involves at this stage of things.

Froggystyle
07-22-2004, 07:11 AM
Originally posted by MagicMtnDan
I'm curious...let's say a boat maker gets his first hull out on the water and he doesn't like something about how it rides or handles. Is it a "simple" matter of changing the mold or do you have to change the plug and pull another mold? Just wondering what the fine-tuning process involves at this stage of things.
We have several things to do before mold changes are made.
The first thing is, figure out what is wrong, not just start moving stuff around or bolting on step blockers to chase the problem around, or move it to slightly out of the performance curve of your particular boat. This is done with empirical testing, not trial and error.
Boat #1 is being built with some additional sensors and telemetry to let us know what is going on. There are pressure sensors being installed in the tunnels, sponson bottoms, keel before jet, jet intake, jet bowl, and passenger compartments. Combined, and on a computer program designed to tell what is what and graph out changes on a speed curve we should have an accurate account of what is actually occurring on the bottom.
Since our bottom is designed to eliminate drag associated with aerodynamic loss, not turn it into lift, we should be way ahead of the game. Our boat is a hydro, not an air entrapment hull. Anyone who has been out to the shop and gotten the presentation about the bottom is clear on that account now.
As such, we can forgo any creative, but useless attempts to change characteristics using angle of attack, or "compressive" lift that is just not occurring. Instead, if there is a problem, the first thing to do is start with the physics behind the problem. They are generally a lot more complicated than you would think. That is why you come in packing two Naval Architects :D
Once the problem is identified, we will use ballast, weight and balance, ride plate angle, fuel tank placement, water tank placement, audio system placement, battery placement etc... to optimize the ride characteristics. We have over 1200 moveable pounds available in this boat. In addition, we are optimizing the ride for 6 people, and we will make the best possible locations for these 6 known to the owners. Kind of an "optimal loading scenario" chart or something. 4 people do this... 6 do this... 14 do this etc... One thing I guarantee is, what we would consider a problem would easily fly as a production ready boat for several manufacturers I know of. This boat will be dialed for all parts of it's performance curve.
But, if it gets to a point where something was just not thought of by the designers, which I just don't anticipate, that causes a serious problem that ballast and weight and balance won't solve, we get into the hydrodynamic end of the test and evaluation session. At this point, you certainly know the exact cause of the problem, and you know how to address it. Moving a step, shortening a strake, etc... all would be required to be done at the mold level. We would tear apart the prototype, do the repair, test again and if totally successful, make a similar change to the mold and go to town.
Once the design is optimized, we will build #2.
Good question.

phebus
07-22-2004, 07:19 AM
Since our bottom is designed to eliminate drag associated with aerodynamic loss, not turn it into lift, we should be way ahead of the game. Our boat is a hydro, not an air entrapment hull. Anyone who has been out to the shop and gotten the presentation about the bottom is clear on that account now.
Wes, for the uneducated, what is the difference in lay terms.
Thanks

Froggystyle
07-22-2004, 08:03 AM
Originally posted by phebus
Wes, for the uneducated, what is the difference in lay terms.
Thanks
In short, a wing works a certain way. It essentially sucks the wing into the air using a pressure differential. Angle of attack plays in this heavily, as does stall angle etc... This is the manner in which race boats generate lift. Laminar, smooth flow over the top of the boat allows this to happen. Canopies, enclosed capsules/cabins and a large flat tunnel section all combine to create flat lift. Ever notice that as Skaters and MTI's get faster and faster (from 100 plus) they don't seem to get more and more out of the water, or change their angle of attack at all? This is because of predictable, flat aerodynamic lift. It works great in this application. Also casually note the width of these craft, and the trailers required to tow them to and fro.
Contrast that with other high performance cats you see in the pleasure boat side of the industry. Open bow boats, deck boats, bimini tops, people etc... all conspire against any top flow. All you get is drag. Add a bottom that is essentially designed as half of a wing, and you get what you have, a bottom that needs a top half to work in any manner close to what it is designed for. So, the wing theory for generating lift is out. It would be the equivalent of putting a sofa on a plane wing. Not gonna do it.
So, the only thing left to create aerodynamic lift is a wing in ground effect theory (WIGE). Also not applicable. WIGE is designed for a real wing, with a large angle of attack to use the even bleed of deflected air to create a high pressure area against the immoveable object (water). The Navy has tried for years to create this, and ended up with some wild experiments, but for the most part is does not translate in any meaningful fashion to the boat industry.
So, minus actual lift created, what is going on?
Drag.
That drag is creating an upward moment of force is confused with aerodynamic lift. A piece of plywood creates "lift" if introduced to a column of air. It is not predictable, and the amount of drag it creates will only fly it stablely for a small window. After that, it "blows over" like so many accidents we have seen in fast cats. The edge is very, very sharp over 100, and a gust of wind or stray wave would be all that it took.
Here is what we did. Since cats aren't doing what everyone thinks they are, we tried to figure out why everyone wants them, or for that matter why it feels like you are riding on air, although you aren't. The answer is simple from a physics standpoint. You are spanning a wider cross section of wave action from a width standpoint, and making a longer, and thinner frontal cross section over all. Cats carry more weight forward, so by luck, the industry has figured out how to make a boat ride more forward, and therefore flatter. If you take away all aerodynamic benefits or detractors, cats are pretty good hydrodynamically for this reason.
So, we took it a step further. How to make a cat even more hydrodynamic, and more stable. The easy answer was to forget about air. Make the tunnels huge so that they flow air straight through to cause the least amount of drag. Make our front ramp hinge up to make the front a lot more aerodynamic than a regular deckboat. Cheat air drag where we can, reduce it where we can't. Once we had air worked out, we started on the bottom. The hull has a wide center sponson for stability and lift in the rear. The sides are very sharp, and will provide wonderful tracking characteristics. This center sponson gets out of the water very quickly too. The only part wet on plane is the very rear, which also houses the jet intake.
The side sponsons are narrow and long where they carry the boat up forward. This presents the least amount of frontal drag ot the water possible. The long riding surface is made longer and thinner by our step design, which not only steps up, but steps out too, by increasing the "V" angle a couple of degrees for every step. In short, the forward sponsons are at a 15 degree angle, the next step is at 17 and the last is at 19 degrees. This clears the hull out of the water very quickly. What isn't stepped is the inner part of the sponson. After the first step, the inner 4 inches of the boat is carried all the way to the rear un-stepped. This should amount to insane stability. No chine walking at all.
This three point hydro has never been done in a boat this large. It certainly has never been done with this much center sponson. We patented the design, and call it the "Tri-Hydro" now. It should be absolutely wonderful for lifting a heavy boat, which even 1000-1200 pounds lighter than the competition this is still considered and as such multiple uses of the craft are being planned for and designed that have heavy load carrying needs.
Sorry if that wasn't layman enough. If you want the full scoop, come on down!

Havasu_Dreamin
07-22-2004, 08:10 AM
Ok, the take home quiz for aerodynamic physics will be tomorrow. Be preapred! :p :cool:

Froggystyle
07-22-2004, 08:14 AM
Originally posted by Havasu_Dreamin
Ok, the take home quiz for aerodynamic physics will be tomorrow. Be preapred! :p :cool:
The best part is, this is all just regurgetation from the experts we hired. I don't know exactly how all of it goes down, but the more I ask, and the more I learn, the more positive I am that they are right.
Physics is physics.

Wally_Gator
07-22-2004, 08:23 AM
Wes,
I love the insight. I was pretty good at physics in high school and amazingly I stil remember a bit. To hear all of this is great and sheds an amazing amount of light on what it takes to build a quality boat.

Infomaniac
07-22-2004, 08:48 AM
In short, a wing works a certain way. It essentially sucks the wing into the air using a pressure differential. Angle of attack plays in this heavily, as does stall angle etc... This is the manner in which race boats generate lift. Laminar, smooth flow over the top of the boat allows this to happen. Canopies, enclosed capsules/cabins and a large flat tunnel section all combine to create flat lift. Ever notice that as Skaters and MTI's get faster and faster (from 100 plus) they don't seem to get more and more out of the water, or change their angle of attack at all? This is because of predictable, flat aerodynamic lift. It works great in this application. Also casually note the width of these craft, and the trailers required to tow them to and fro.
Contrast that with other high performance cats you see in the pleasure boat side of the industry. Open bow boats, deck boats, bimini tops, people etc... all conspire against any top flow. All you get is drag. Add a bottom that is essentially designed as half of a wing, and you get what you have, a bottom that needs a top half to work in any manner close to what it is designed for. So, the wing theory for generating lift is out. It would be the equivalent of putting a sofa on a plane wing. Not gonna do it.
So, the only thing left to create aerodynamic lift is a wing in ground effect theory (WIGE). Also not applicable. WIGE is designed for a real wing, with a large angle of attack to use the even bleed of deflected air to create a high pressure area against the immoveable object (water). The Navy has tried for years to create this, and ended up with some wild experiments, but for the most part is does not translate in any meaningful fashion to the boat industry.
So, minus actual lift created, what is going on?
Drag.
That drag is creating an upward moment of force is confused with aerodynamic lift. A piece of plywood creates "lift" if introduced to a column of air. It is not predictable, and the amount of drag it creates will only fly it stablely for a small window. After that, it "blows over" like so many accidents we have seen in fast cats. The edge is very, very sharp over 100, and a gust of wind or stray wave would be all that it took.
Here is what we did. Since cats aren't doing what everyone thinks they are, we tried to figure out why everyone wants them, or for that matter why it feels like you are riding on air, although you aren't. The answer is simple from a physics standpoint. You are spanning a wider cross section of wave action from a width standpoint, and making a longer, and thinner frontal cross section over all. Cats carry more weight forward, so by luck, the industry has figured out how to make a boat ride more forward, and therefore flatter. If you take away all aerodynamic benefits or detractors, cats are pretty good hydrodynamically for this reason.
So, we took it a step further. How to make a cat even more hydrodynamic, and more stable. The easy answer was to forget about air. Make the tunnels huge so that they flow air straight through to cause the least amount of drag. Make our front ramp hinge up to make the front a lot more aerodynamic than a regular deckboat. Cheat air drag where we can, reduce it where we can't. Once we had air worked out, we started on the bottom. The hull has a wide center sponson for stability and lift in the rear. The sides are very sharp, and will provide wonderful tracking characteristics. This center sponson gets out of the water very quickly too. The only part wet on plane is the very rear, which also houses the jet intake.
The side sponsons are narrow and long where they carry the boat up forward. This presents the least amount of frontal drag ot the water possible. The long riding surface is made longer and thinner by our step design, which not only steps up, but steps out too, by increasing the "V" angle a couple of degrees for every step. In short, the forward sponsons are at a 15 degree angle, the next step is at 17 and the last is at 19 degrees. This clears the hull out of the water very quickly. What isn't stepped is the inner part of the sponson. After the first step, the inner 4 inches of the boat is carried all the way to the rear un-stepped. This should amount to insane stability. No chine walking at all.
This three point hydro has never been done in a boat this large. It certainly has never been done with this much center sponson. We patented the design, and call it the "Tri-Hydro" now. It should be absolutely wonderful for lifting a heavy boat, which even 1000-1200 pounds lighter than the competition this is still considered and as such multiple uses of the craft are being planned for and designed that have heavy load carrying needs.
Sorry if that wasn't layman enough. If you want the full scoop, come on down!
:idea2: :idea2: :idea2:
:D

Froggystyle
07-22-2004, 08:53 AM
Originally posted by Infomaniac
:idea2: :idea2: :idea2:
:D
Yeah... because you wouldn't know anything about poorly designed tunnel hulls feeling like they are going to blow over the faster you go, right? ;)
Where is that video anyway? :D :D :D

Hallett19
07-22-2004, 09:39 AM
, by increasing the "V" angle a couple of degrees for every step.
I try to increase V angles every day Wes, you know that !!!
So when will the canopied top come out and the Trident equivelent Skater be kicking ass and taking names at our local offshore events ? With your bottom and a canopied or enclosed top, what will that thing do ?

Froggystyle
07-22-2004, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by Hallett19
I try to increase V angles every day Wes, you know that !!!
So when will the canopied top come out and the Trident equivelent Skater be kicking ass and taking names at our local offshore events ? With your bottom and a canopied or enclosed top, what will that thing do ?
Not gonna do it.
Plenty of people answering that question. We are sticking to what we think we can dominate. This is, without a doubt, the nicest, best thought out deckboat in the world. Unless I can hold that title on the offshore stuff, I wouldn't try. And that... is some expensive, tough, smart and experienced competition.

RiverDave
07-22-2004, 10:23 AM
Yeah... because you wouldn't know anything about poorly designed tunnel hulls feeling like they are going to blow over the faster you go, right? ;)
Where is that video anyway? :D :D :D
You talking about the video I clipped together for him?
I thought the boat in that vid was taking a pretty nice set myself?
RD

Froggystyle
07-22-2004, 10:32 AM
You talking about the video I clipped together for him?
I thought the boat in that vid was taking a pretty nice set myself?
RD
No, I am talking about the one of the boat blowing over big time...
Nice set is relative. I imagine that the Callan Marine boat takes a "nice set" at that speed. Or Lick This for example.
We are balancing our boats, not flying them. Using trim to compensate for aero drag.

Infomaniac
07-22-2004, 10:45 AM
I think he is talking about the HTM that bounced, hooked blew over and rolled at LOTO. Just a few boats ahead of me before I ran the quad rotor boat.

Froggystyle
07-22-2004, 11:50 AM
That's the dog...
I am just glad everyone was allright.

HighRoller
07-23-2004, 12:49 AM
Wes, just saw the WildOn episode with the air chair. I was cracking up because I'm assuming they used OTR as the camera boat and that filthy sounding 509 drowned out most of the dialogue, even at idle!

Lightning
07-23-2004, 08:54 AM
I finally got a chance to go down to Trident and check out the molds the other day. Very impressive stuff to say the least. I was surprised at how much structural integrity the cage for the mold must have - it's really awesome. I took a few pics when I was down there.
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/1340P8019334.jpg
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/1340P8019333.jpg
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/1340P8019332.jpg
This last photo is the right rear sponson