PDA

View Full Version : Extreme Trailers

NorCalCat
07-14-2004, 03:18 PM
Is anyone having trouble witht the new hubs Extreme is putting on the trailers. They are the ones that are "sealed" and use straight 50 motor oil. I have blown 3 seals in 2 months and they fill up with water.

RiverDave
07-14-2004, 03:27 PM
The oil baths?
I put those on my little 10' Schiada trailer.. Haven't had any problems yet, but then again I've only towed it about 200 miles as well so I wouldn't expect that their even "broken in" yet.
http://www.riverratlife.com/dave/images/bubbles/BoatTrailer2.jpg
Is Extreme repairing the hubs? Or are they sticking new hubs on everytime?
And what "seal" is blowing? I'm doing some work for UFP (the makers of the oil baths) so maybe I can ask them directly for you if you give me a detailed description of the problem?
RD

Acommanderguy
07-14-2004, 03:30 PM
RD what in the world is that?

beer hunter
07-14-2004, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by Acommanderguy
A two person PWC. ;) :D

RiverToysJas
07-14-2004, 03:32 PM
One of mine appears to be having issues, that rim is getting oil all over it. I'll have to check if there's water getting in. I only tow 3 miles each way now though.... ;)
RTJas :D

NorCalCat
07-14-2004, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by RiverToysJas
One of mine appears to be having issues, that rim is getting oil all over it. I'll have to check if there's water getting in. I only tow 3 miles each way now though.... ;)
If there is water geting in, the window will be a yellow looking rather than a black dark color.
I am wondering if it is because I am towing and it gets hot, then I drop it into the water, breaking the seals. If so, what the hell are they using these for? This is the 3rd time in 2 months.:mad:

RiverDave
07-14-2004, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by Acommanderguy
That my friend is "bubbles" ;) It's a 10' Schiada that I'm building for my nephew. :)
You can read the restore of it right here on ***boat
Bubbles Restore (http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=34088&perpage=25&pagenumber=1)
1st 5 pages are gel restore, last 5 pages are guages, steering etc.. getting installed. It's almost done.
RD

RiverToysJas
07-14-2004, 03:38 PM
Are they warrenteeing them???
My Extreme has had to go back a couple of times in the first year, once for new axles. :(

NorCalCat
07-14-2004, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by RiverToysJas
Are they warrenteeing them???
My Extreme has had to go back a couple of times in the first year, once for new axles. :(
Ya, but I live all the way in Northern California. It makes it hard to get to the shop. Also not too safe driving with blown bearings. Might just lose a wheel.
Not good!

RiverDave
07-14-2004, 03:59 PM
And what "seal" is blowing? I'm doing some work for UFP (the makers of the oil baths) so maybe I can ask them directly for you if you give me a detailed description of the problem?
RD

Lightning
07-14-2004, 04:00 PM
If you are having that many problems, you should call them and have them (at their expense) send you a new set of replacement standard bearing with bearing buddy, etc... and swap it over.

RiverDave
07-14-2004, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by Lightning
If you are having that many problems, you should call them and have them (at their expense) send you a new set of replacement standard bearing with bearing buddy, etc... and swap it over.
If the trailer is on torsions, he could just jack it up and pull the entire assemly off from the torsion arm and fed ex them to Extreme and get new ones.
To be honest I think these things are LIGHT YEARS ahead of the bearing buddies. This is basically what they run in SEMI's that put 100's of thousand's of miles on yearly etc.. If the hubs have leaked and filled up with water, or even ran remotely dry, I'd get new ones.. Shouldn't be a problem.. From my experience UFP backs up there products 100% (which incidentally they make the bearing buddies too)
I was thinking about converting my other trailers over to these things becuase there's so much less head ache involved.
RD

likwidsukr
07-14-2004, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by RiverDave
The oil baths?
I put those on my little 10' Schiada trailer.. Haven't had any problems yet, but then again I've only towed it about 200 miles as well so I wouldn't expect that their even "broken in" yet.
RD
That is some trick shit RD. I have only seen the small ones over there with the Aussies,
Cheers

Jrocket
07-14-2004, 05:02 PM
Call Extreme and ask for Tony in service,I bet he will take care of it for you.

lucky
07-15-2004, 05:39 AM
pushes his snowmobile in to a shop - mechanic says it looks like you blew a seal - guy says " no that's just snow on my mustash".....:D

redneckgirl
07-15-2004, 07:20 AM
We have a leaking shaft seal on our new (7 months old)... I am actually taking it this morning to the local Malibu dealer to have the warranty work done... Malibu's use Extreme trailers as well... We talked to Tony @ Exteme and to UFP they are the ones that sent us to the Malibu dealer "RiverForUs" cousin... NorCal did you ask if they have someone local to do the work? I will keep you posted...
RNG

jbtrailerjim
07-15-2004, 08:06 AM
To be honest I think these things are LIGHT YEARS ahead of the bearing buddies. This is basically what they run in SEMI's that put 100's of thousand's of miles on yearly etc.. If the hubs have leaked and filled up with water, or even ran remotely dry, I'd get new ones.. Shouldn't be a problem.. From my experience UFP backs up there products 100% (which incidentally they make the bearing buddies too)
I was thinking about converting my other trailers over to these things becuase there's so much less head ache involved.
RD
This is what semi's used to run. At least 90% of new semi truck trailers on the road have gone back to grease packed. Years ago they used to run grease packed but switched to oil bath because the grease could not take the high temps. Now over the last 5 years or so most the mfg have gone back to grease packed because the development of high temp synthetic type grease. Oil bath type have a tendency to leak more often. I don't know why the light duty mfg have switched to oil bath. Not a wise idea imo.

RiverDave
07-15-2004, 08:14 AM
No shit eh? Well fock me proper, I didn't know that. :D
RD :D

roostwear
07-15-2004, 08:20 AM
The oil baths?
RD
The way it's going, it'll never get a chance to leak, cuz it won't see WATER!:eek!:

NorCalCat
07-15-2004, 08:50 AM
I have talked to Tony at Extreme, and I have talked to the people at UFP. They are both very helpful, it is just a real hastle, being the second time this has happened since the end of May.
The Oil Baths seem like they dont like the water when they are hot. Hmmmm, doesn't seem like a good fit. The old grease packed hubs never did this. If the Oil Baths worked they would be great, but they don't.
I am not sure if I should give it one more chance or just swap them out.
Thoughts?