PDA

View Full Version : I'm going to write a letter to General Motors

PHOTOGLOU
04-06-2006, 09:25 AM
Today, after telling 10's of people there will be no 8.1L or Diesel motor in the Suburban, I am writing a letter to one of the Exec's at GM letting him know there is a need for one (diesel preferred) of these motors....
What I need from you guys is
If you are considering or would consider a 3/4 ton Sub your name and Number to send in this letter to show I am not just one person looking for GM to suit JUST my needs....
Please PM me this information Chris Winn, Chris Gibbons, Scot Conrad, Tommy Gaut are people I know need this BUT I WILL NOT forward anyones info without a PM....
Thanks Jay 714 552 0300

burtandnancy
04-06-2006, 09:43 AM
I hope your suggestions can save GM. You may be right about a Duramax in the suburban, but I think they have better motors than the 8.1. The best combo they have is a Duramax and Allison...

al cole'holic
04-06-2006, 09:46 AM
..not available for special order either??

sigepmock
04-06-2006, 09:55 AM
Well you know we'd be interested in it Jay. I sent you a PM with our Info.
The Mock family.

PHOTOGLOU
04-06-2006, 10:00 AM
..not available for special order either??
As of now NO... GM's position (as I understand it) is. if we can sell all of the diesels we can get in the Silverado.... Why would we give up the truck market to Ford or Dodge and put them in a SUV that will cost us Millions to develop and crash test..... My response is diversify (sp?) diesel will be hitting $4.00 a gallon by 08 with the new laws (concerning particles in the fuel) and people are going to want dual purpose vehicles, and an SUV is more of a dual purpose vehicle than a Silverado....

Partycattin
04-06-2006, 10:02 AM
I wanted a diesel in a suburbaban for a while. I kept going to the dealership and they just sighed as stated that "GM says it will be out next year". I guess they had heard this from GM for a while.
I looked for a clean mid 90's sub with a diesel and they all had close to 200000 miles.
So I got tired of waiting a bought an Excursion w/ a diesel. I prefer Chevy products but had no other choice.

OGShocker
04-06-2006, 10:10 AM
Today, after telling 10's of people there will be no 8.1L or Diesel motor in the Suburban, I am writing a letter to one of the Exec's at GM letting him know there is a need for one (diesel preferred) of these motors....
If you are considering or would consider a 3/4 ton Sub your name and Number to send in this letter to show I am not just one person looking for GM to suit JUST my needs....
Please PM me this information Chris Winn, Chris Gibbons, Scot Conrad, Tommy Gaut are people I know need this BUT I WILL NOT forward anyones info without a PM....
Thanks Jay 714 552 0300
Sending my name and phone number in now!
Thank you for working on this, Jay. About time someone has the balls to stand up to the MAN!:D
Mark

OGShocker
04-06-2006, 10:11 AM
I wanted a diesel in a suburbaban for a while. I kept going to the dealership and they just sighed as stated that "GM says it will be out next year". I guess they had heard this from GM for a while.
I looked for a clean mid 90's sub with a diesel and they all had close to 200000 miles.
So I got tired of waiting a bought an Excursion w/ a diesel. I prefer Chevy products but had no other choice.
TRAITOR!!! :rollside:

Cole Trickle
04-06-2006, 10:17 AM
I have always been a truck guy but riding in the back of your Burban with 2 TV's was pretty pimp.
In fact there was only 3 things missing.......
Allison
Duramax
Better Brakes
I would put my name on the list.

Phat Daddy
04-06-2006, 10:27 AM
PM sent

That Guy
04-06-2006, 10:38 AM
We'd be in as well...pm on the way. :)

soupersonic
04-06-2006, 11:02 AM
I asked about that combination at a dealership a long time ago, they scoffed at me like i was crazy for wanting such a thing. :rolleyes: I guess they didnt have the vision to see how usefull it would be.

SHAKEN Not Stirred
04-06-2006, 11:56 AM
I'll take 3 of them.....
I was real sad when your GM exec friends told me at the 2005 SCOPE run that GM would NEVER make a diesel Suburban because there was no market for it.....
He told me just because you boat guys need them doesn't make a market.
He further said the the cost of tooling to accomodate the weight of the diesel engine was the primary issue.....
Real sad day when the last Excursion rolled off the line.....
I love this thing.......
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1780Excursion-_Broke_001.jpg
But........I could go to the dark site if they made a product....
Later,
CJG
:)

OGShocker
04-06-2006, 12:00 PM
This is where I see most F.O.R.D.s. Parked on the side of the road..:D

Froggystyle
04-06-2006, 12:04 PM
I'll send you a deposit today. Seriously.
Black on black please. Leather... no upgrade on the stereo ;)

RiverRatMike
04-06-2006, 12:09 PM
a V10 is the only way to go!

Havasu Hangin'
04-06-2006, 01:10 PM
My '04 8.1L is now a classic? :confused:

BADBLOWN572
04-06-2006, 01:17 PM
PM Sent

abraman1326
04-06-2006, 01:22 PM
PM sent. I thought this was some of the reasoning of redesigning the burban for 07 was to put the Duramax, and Allison combo in as it wouldn't fit between the frame rails of the last design...
BRA

LHC30Victory
04-06-2006, 02:09 PM
WHAT! NO DIESEL BURB?????
Ive been waiting for them to come out and not putting in any $$ to the truck...PM on the way :mad:

PHOTOGLOU
04-06-2006, 03:21 PM
Not as Classic as most of your posts.......

ColeTR2
04-06-2006, 03:40 PM
Maybe you could tell him the speed-O in my 2004 truck stop working at 32k miles. It´s going to cost me 500 buck to fix it. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: It just stays at 0-mph but the mile are still clicking off. The truck is worth 40% of what I paid for it two year ago, trade in on a new Chevy :mad: :mad:
I don´t know why I got a chevy??????

dmontzsta
04-06-2006, 03:41 PM
This is where I see most F.O.R.D.s. Parked on the side of the road..:D
Really? I see more chevys on the side of the road than ANY other car. I am seriously thinking of starting a website. www.chevyonroaddead.com and taking my camera with me to take a pic of every chevy on the side of the road, I see a minimum of 2 a day on the side of the road. :) I am not BS'ing either.

2Driver
04-06-2006, 03:45 PM
I'm thinking you might have a better chance turning an Aircraft Carrier with a canoe paddle. :D

MagicMtnDan
04-06-2006, 06:30 PM
I won't pretend to understand what GM is up to these days. Their focus must be on unions and all the benefits they're paying to millions of people who haven't worked at GM for years :220v:
Neither can I understand why it's not profitable for them to increase production of Duramax engines and Allison transmissions so they can put them in Suburbans, Tahoes and Avalanches. They're missing out on a lot of sales potential and profit but it's not the first time and it won't be the last.
I hope GM can survive but if they keep doing things the way they've been doing them since the Japanese automakers first started kicking their ass (quality-wise) then they doomed!
Speaking of doomed, where's Dr. Eagle???

MagicMtnDan
04-06-2006, 06:30 PM
Thanks Jay 714 552 0300
What will they put the 8.1-L motor in???

PHOTOGLOU
04-06-2006, 06:45 PM
What will they put the 8.1-L motor in???
NO MORE 8.1L MOTOR.....

WetWillie
04-06-2006, 06:54 PM
Please dont say Kodiak.... Dont tell me I have to get a F550 :mad:

TOBTEK
04-06-2006, 07:03 PM
Please dont say Kodiak.... Dont tell me I have to get a F550 :mad:http://f650pickups.com/indexb.html
only one way to go.......http://f650pickups.com/indexb.html
a few people in here have them coming for their new boats.....

canuck1
04-06-2006, 07:14 PM
so is a Rambler but that don't say much

cola
04-06-2006, 07:52 PM
I'll take 3 of them.....
I was real sad when your GM exec friends told me at the 2005 SCOPE run that GM would NEVER make a diesel Suburban because there was no market for it.....
He further said the the cost of tooling to accomodate the weight of the diesel engine was the primary issue.....
I love this thing.......
Later,
CJG
Chris, that looks like the weekend the , well you know.
Late, Mike

cola
04-06-2006, 07:52 PM
I'll take 3 of them.....
I love this thing.......
Later,
CJG
Chris, that looks like the weekend the, well you know.
Late, Mike

LHC30Victory
04-06-2006, 08:06 PM
Are you hatin ramblers? My first car was a 59 Rambler American - Not a great car but fun and nearly indestructable :rolleyes:

cjordan
04-07-2006, 07:26 AM
I would very much consider it. I actually sold my 8100 burb for a 2500HD duramax for the pulling power. A good friend of mine who works for GM in Detroit (white collar) said that the reason a duramax/allison has not been offered in the Suburban is that the combo simply WILL NOT fit into the frame, they would have to go to the 2500HD type frame, different assembly line, etc, etc. It certainly could be done, but at what cost? I'm surprised they axed the 8100 though....

MagicMtnDan
04-07-2006, 07:32 AM
I would very much consider it. I actually sold my 8100 burb for a 2500HD duramax for the pulling power. A good friend of mine who works for GM in Detroit (white collar) said that the reason a duramax/allison has not been offered in the Suburban is that the combo simply WILL NOT fit into the frame, they would have to go to the 2500HD type frame, different assembly line, etc, etc. It certainly could be done, but at what cost? I'm surprised they axed the 8100 though....
That's NUTS! They just re-did the Tahoe, Suburban and Avalanche and everyone (well, everyone outside of GM) was talking about how these new trucks would fit the Duramax/Allison combo. Why didn't they plan for them when they re-designed these trucks??? :mad:

MagicMtnDan
04-07-2006, 07:33 AM
NO MORE 8.1L MOTOR.....
Does that mean the value of my Avalanche 2500 with the 8.1 goes up?

Tom Brown
04-07-2006, 07:41 AM
Who are you..... Greg Allman?

WetWillie
04-07-2006, 08:05 AM
Just seems a little to much big rig! Kinda feel like I need a gun rack and a
cowboy hat for that! I wish someone did a conversion to a the duramax (Brakes and axle) that would allow it to pull that weight...
http://f650pickups.com/indexb.html
only one way to go.......http://f650pickups.com/indexb.html
a few people in here have them coming for their new boats.....

probablecause
04-07-2006, 08:12 AM
I thought they already made them...
Diesel Suburban (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2005-Duramax-Diesel-Suburban-0-miles-Gray-4X4_W0QQitemZ4622720965QQcategoryZ6155QQcmdZViewIt em)

PHOTOGLOU
04-07-2006, 10:06 AM
Please dont say Kodiak.... Dont tell me I have to get a F550 :mad:
Ok then Top Kick ( GMC )

BoatFloating
04-07-2006, 10:08 AM
Jay, put me on the list....

PHOTOGLOU
04-07-2006, 10:57 AM
Does that mean the value of my Avalanche 2500 with the 8.1 goes up?
I would think so... If you keep it well maint. and in good condition....

Mr. Pixilated
04-07-2006, 11:26 AM
TRAITOR!!! :rollside:
:boxingguy :boxingguy :boxingguy

JB in so cal
04-07-2006, 11:32 AM
NO MORE 8.1L MOTOR.....
...sooooooooooo, what about all of the 496 MAG and HO's for marine applications? Probably don't go against GM CARB economy requirements, huh?
For what it's worth, Ford is restricting how many V-10's are installed the rest of the year; mainly for motorhomes.

PHOTOGLOU
04-12-2006, 11:05 AM
Dear Sir or Madam:
My name is Jay Photoglou and I have worked in the Chevrolet retail sales side of the business for over 8 years now. I have built a customer base that allows me to only have time for repeat and referral business. I have had many titles including General sales manager, Sales manager, Fleet manager, and I started the Internet department at Camino Real Chevrolet in 1998.
It has come to my attention that General Motors is not going to be offering a big motor in the 07 Suburban. Many of my friends and Clients including myself tow more than the 9600 Lbs. that the 07 ¾ ton Suburban is going to be able to tow. I am hoping that you will reconsider the 8.1L in the 07 ¾ ton Suburban or add the Duramax Diesel to that line up. General Motors could have the corner on this market as the toys people are towing are intended for family’s and both the toys and families are getting bigger and bigger.
I have been told that the reason that the Duramax Diesel is not being considered for the Suburban is because everyone that is built can be sold in the truck line. Please consider these 2 things
1. As the price of Diesel fuel increases Customers are going to be looking harder at dual-purpose vehicles, moms hauling kids during the week, and dads hauling the toys on the weekend.
2. If General Motors does not offer a S.U.V. that will compete with other brands if could cause those customers to buy these other brands and open up the possibility of loosing brand loyalty.
I have put together a list of 25 people that I know and was able to contact within 48 hours that would buy a Duramax diesel Suburban. Many are Chevrolet customers BUT some are Ford customers that like General Motors product but like the diesel.
Please feel free to contact any of these people to verify what I have told you…
One last thing these are people that I contacted and have their permission to pass along their name and number, Can you imagine if they were to call people who they knew needed a Diesel Suburban and so on.
Sincerely,

Screaming Pete
04-12-2006, 11:31 AM
Jay.....typo ............48 hours

PHOTOGLOU
04-12-2006, 11:42 AM
Jay.....typo ............48 hours
Thanks.... Anything that Anyone thinks I should change??

MrsSigEpMock
04-12-2006, 11:44 AM
other brands if could cause those
Typo, if = it ???
Good luck, thanks for sticking up for the little guys! Also, you mentioned that soccer mom issue. We've noticed that the diesel gets better mileage around town for the mom errands, it is a great cross over motor.

Froggystyle
04-12-2006, 11:53 AM
I am so all over one of these if this works.

LHC30Victory
04-12-2006, 11:56 AM
How about the MPG issue of Diesel vs Gas motors and how that would help to impact their MPG average while maintaining the market on SUV's. From what I have heard, the current Dmax is far from being fully developed re HP, TQ and MPG efficiency.....
Diesels are the motor of the (fossile fuel) future :boxed:

Froggystyle
04-12-2006, 11:59 AM
How about the MPG issue of Diesel vs Gas motors and how that would help to impact their MPG average while maintaining the market on SUV's. From what I have heard, the current Dmax is far from being fully developed re HP, TQ and MPG efficiency.....
Brought your subs this weekend but didn't have your number :(
One of these days... :D

OGShocker
04-12-2006, 11:59 AM
Thank you, Jay!
Denise is looking forward to her 2007/08 Suburban!!
Mark

Froggystyle
04-12-2006, 12:01 PM
Thank you, Jay!
Denise is looking forward to her 2007/08 Suburban!!
Mark
Were you in Havasu this weekend? Looked all over for you.

RiverRatMike
04-12-2006, 12:02 PM
Really? I see more chevys on the side of the road than ANY other car. I am seriously thinking of starting a website. www.chevyonroaddead.com and taking my camera with me to take a pic of every chevy on the side of the road, I see a minimum of 2 a day on the side of the road. :) I am not BS'ing either.
Awesome! I think I'll do the same.

OGShocker
04-12-2006, 12:03 PM
Were you in Havasu this weekend? Looked all over for you.
We were at the house all day, all three days. We will be back this weekend and we will be on the water!!! :)

mondorally
04-12-2006, 12:07 PM
Thanks.... Anything that Anyone thinks I should change??
"2. If General Motors does not offer a S.U.V. that will compete with other brands if could cause those customers to buy these other brands and open up the possibility of loosing brand loyalty."
Me thinks it losing, not loosing.
Justin

OGShocker
04-12-2006, 12:07 PM
Really? I see more chevys on the side of the road than ANY other car. I am not BS'ing either.
They are there to help you..:D
http://tnmcc.com/photos/stachuraj/chevy1tontow.jpg

canuck1
04-12-2006, 12:10 PM
They are there to help you..:D
http://tnmcc.com/photos/stachuraj/chevy1tontow.jpg
The smack has been handed out

IMPATIENT 1
04-12-2006, 12:14 PM
Gm Has A Duramax Straight 6 Too! That'd Be Nice In A Heavy Half Ton,i Think It Has @250hp And 400ft Lbs Torque.can't Remember The Exact Figures But I Worked On One At The Gm Training Center In Dallas Couple Months Back,basically The Same Motor That's In All The Isuzu Tilt Cab Mover Trucks.said They're Developing A 4 Cyl Duramax For Car Applications That Will Have A 5 Speed Auto With @180hp And 280-300ft.lbs Torque.neat Things Are A Coming Guys, I See All The New Stuff At The Training Center Before It Hits The Market.

IMPATIENT 1
04-12-2006, 12:16 PM
"2. If General Motors does not offer a S.U.V. that will compete with other brands if could cause those customers to buy these other brands and open up the possibility of loosing brand loyalty."
Me thinks it losing, not loosing.
Justin
I AGREE HERE. GM HAS FALLIN BEHIND THE TIMES AND IS LOSING!BEEN WORKING FOR GM FOR 12YRS AND STYLING HASN'T CHANGED MUCH BUT PRICE STILL GOES UP,WTF?DODGE IS KILLIN US IN STYLE DEPT AND FORIEGN CAR MAKERS ARE KILLIN US WITH WARRANTIES AND RELIABILITY.

PHOTOGLOU
04-12-2006, 01:36 PM
3/4 ton over 6000 LBS from what I understand they don't get counted in the C.A.F.E. standards

2Driver
04-12-2006, 02:41 PM
While your writing inquire about my MSO :rollside:

LHC30Victory
04-12-2006, 04:02 PM
3/4 ton over 6000 LBS from what I understand they don't get counted in the C.A.F.E. standards
Oh well, just tryin to help :)

LHC30Victory
04-12-2006, 04:03 PM
Brought your subs this weekend but didn't have your number :(
One of these days... :D
Hey, thanks Wes! We will be out this weekend also - Tag, youre it :rollside:

H20 Toie
04-12-2006, 04:13 PM
Jay when you talk with them ask when they are going to get rid of the ifs and go with a straight front axle, i have always had a chevy except for the H2 and just got to the point of sick of how weak the front end is. I should not have to replace parts every 40k miles on a vechicle that is running stock wheels and tires. I know that Fords have there own problems but i went over to the dark side and let me tell you this truck rides way better than the Chevys do.
But if you can get me a straight axle Diesel powered Sub i will take two.

essexjet
04-12-2006, 04:21 PM
I love this thing.......
Dont be too sad, there is still hope that ford will make a diesel version of the everest.
Ford Everest (http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Features/articleId=105986)

Raylar
04-13-2006, 08:23 PM
Lets face it guys, if GM had been making prudent decisions now and in the past, they would not be in the shape their in now. They have not listened well to their customers for years or brought to market some of the power and packages they should have! What makes you think they are going to start now! As for the Duramax in trucks, hang on to your hats now. the new 2007 and up Duramax equipped trucks as well as Ford and Dodge diesels will have sticker prices going up somewhere between +5K to 7K just to bring them in compliance with the new EPA emissions (particulate & Nox ) requirements for next year. If you are considering ordering a diesel pickup or such get the order in now before its to late to get current pricing. As for the 8.1L I don't think GM is going to drop it from the truck line and certainly not from the marine or industrial engine line. The marine market and industrial uses actually use about 70% of GM's total production of the 8.1L -496 engine. Gm is not going to give up that very profitable market and close Tonawanda, New York.
As for the Duramax and diesels in medium duty trucks in general, right now GM/Izusu, Ford (International) Powerstroke and Dodge(Cummins) plants can't make them fast enough to keep up with demand. This is probably going to take a significant hit when the new pricing hits the dealers and the new super low sulphur Diesel at $4.00 per gallon hits the pumps in January. Lets face it, between the greedy coniving oil companies, the stupid politicians with their hands in the ccokie jar (oil can), the overdriven hyper enviromentalists, commodity trader practices and the misguided big three automakers in Detroit ,we the public, their customers and constituents and very future are going to be in for the BIG SHAFT for a long time. This senario will play itself out until its long term debilitating effects crash our economy so hard that the pendulum won't swing back the other way it will just come off its pivot and crash to the ground. You had better start writing letters to more than GM and we all better start sending a message to all these shortsided idiots that these will be the very actions that take us from a postion of the worlds leading economy to one where the Great Depression will look like a mere hicup! Wake up people its your future!
Ray @ Raylar

Tom Brown
04-13-2006, 09:21 PM
Ray... you're not going to get invited to many parties if you keep bringing us all down like that. :D

Raylar
04-15-2006, 07:33 AM
Sorry, I get mad as hell and tend to get on my soapbox when these things get discussed. I am usually quite a crazy guy, ask anyone who was at the Cleavlander in Miami Beach during the Miami Boat show. I like to party with the best of them! I love boating , awesome look'in women, powerful engines and things that go fast! The need for Speed! Long may it last! :rollside:
Ray @ Raylar

PHOTOGLOU
04-17-2006, 12:19 AM
Lets face it guys, if GM had been making prudent decisions now and in the past, they would not be in the shape their in now. They have not listened well to their customers for years or brought to market some of the power and packages they should have! What makes you think they are going to start now! As for the Duramax in trucks, hang on to your hats now. the new 2007 and up Duramax equipped trucks as well as Ford and Dodge diesels will have sticker prices going up somewhere between +5K to 7K just to bring them in compliance with the new EPA emissions (particulate & Nox ) requirements for next year. If you are considering ordering a diesel pickup or such get the order in now before its to late to get current pricing. As for the 8.1L I don't think GM is going to drop it from the truck line and certainly not from the marine or industrial engine line. The marine market and industrial uses actually use about 70% of GM's total production of the 8.1L -496 engine. Gm is not going to give up that very profitable market and close Tonawanda, New York.
As for the Duramax and diesels in medium duty trucks in general, right now GM/Izusu, Ford (International) Powerstroke and Dodge(Cummins) plants can't make them fast enough to keep up with demand. This is probably going to take a significant hit when the new pricing hits the dealers and the new super low sulphur Diesel at $4.00 per gallon hits the pumps in January. Lets face it, between the greedy coniving oil companies, the stupid politicians with their hands in the ccokie jar (oil can), the overdriven hyper enviromentalists, commodity trader practices and the misguided big three automakers in Detroit ,we the public, their customers and constituents and very future are going to be in for the BIG SHAFT for a long time. This senario will play itself out until its long term debilitating effects crash our economy so hard that the pendulum won't swing back the other way it will just come off its pivot and crash to the ground. You had better start writing letters to more than GM and we all better start sending a message to all these shortsided idiots that these will be the very actions that take us from a postion of the worlds leading economy to one where the Great Depression will look like a mere hicup! Wake up people its your future!
Ray @ Raylar
Everything you have said is right on and perfectly put.... Except about the 8.1L They have (so far) dropped it from the Suburban and Avalance line and I have been told they dropped the MOTOR.... We do not have 07 Silverado ordering ( except 07 Classic) information yet so I can not confirm or deny if an 8.1L is going to be avail in the Silverado yet....

Raylar
04-17-2006, 07:21 PM
They may totally drop the 8.1L from the light and medium duty trucks altogether, but that won't stop the 8.1L -496, trust me on this one. I have some pretty close contacts in GM Powertrain and just like the 4.3L and 5.7 Vortecs that they still pump out the door by the hundreds of thousands each year , even though they haven't been used in vehicles for nearly 3-7 years,they will keep the 8.1L -496 in production just for the marine, heavy duty and industrial engine users for years to come. If GM stopped making this motor most of Mercruiser's, Volvo Penta, Crusaders and others marine engine businesses, not to mention all the high performance boat builders, would take such a hit the fallout would be unbelievable. US boat builders install over a couple of hundred 496's per week in new boats coming of the line. You've just got to remember there are other machines in the world besides pickup trucks and Suburbans. Don't speculate on the engine market strictly on what GM sends its dealers for order forms and specs! on the new truck and Sub lines.
Ray @ Raylar