PDA

View Full Version : Shaq Traded to Miami

Rvr2Bch
07-14-2004, 03:43 PM
http://www.nba.com/media/heat/masthead0405_shaq_summer.jpg
ESPN.com news services
MIAMI -- The Big Diesel has gone coast to coast.
The Lakers and Heat finalized a trade Wednesday sending Shaquille O'Neal to Miami, with Los Angeles getting Caron Butler, Lamar Odom, Brian Grant and a first-round draft pick in return.
"I said at the end of the year I wanted to be on a team, just a team," O'Neal said in an exclusive interview with SportsCenter that aired Wednesday. "Doesn't matter who's team it was, I just wanted to be on the team and I wanted things to go right. I wanted things to go like they were supposed to. And if things were not going to go like that, then I wanted to be traded."
The deal, ending O'Neal's eight-year tenure in Los Angeles, had been on the verge of completion since Saturday, when he met in Orlando with Heat president Pat Riley and agreed to the trade. NBA attorneys approved it hours after the league's two-week moratorium on player movement ended.
"Today the Miami Heat took a giant step forward in our continued pursuit of an NBA championship," Riley said in a statement. "We feel that we have traded for the best player in the NBA."
The 7-foot-1, 340-pound O'Neal transforms into a title threat a franchise that has reached the conference finals only once in its 16-year history. The Heat have won one playoff series in the past four years and went 42-40 last season.
"I never imagined that we would acquire Shaquille O'Neal," guard Eddie Jones said. "It's once-in-a-lifetime trying to get a player like this guy. It's an unbelievable, unbelievable move."
At 32, O'Neal is coming off a season when he averaged a career-low 21.5 points, and he has missed 15 games each of the past three seasons with foot and leg injuries. But he's an 11-time All-Star with career averages of 27.1 points, 12.1 rebounds and 2.6 blocks, and he's moving to the Eastern Conference, where there's a dearth of dominating centers.
"I've always said that wherever he is, that's where the balance of power is," Indiana Pacers CEO Donnie Walsh said.
The trade marks a return to Florida for O'Neal, who began his NBA career in 1992 with Orlando and still has a home there. He led the Magic to the Finals in 1995, signed with the Lakers as a free agent in 1996 and helped them win three NBA titles.
Days after the Lakers lost this year's championship series to Detroit, O'Neal demanded to be traded, weary of feuding with Kobe Bryant and feeling disrespected by general manager Mitch Kupchak and owner Jerry Buss. He's under contract for $27.7 million this coming season and $30.6 million in 2005-06.
On the last time he talked to Jerry Buss, O'Neal told SportsCenter, "I don't think I have ever had a conversation with him."
On his opinion of Kupchak, "I don't have an opinion," O'Neal said, adding that the changing makeup of the Lakers under Kupchak "tells me that this is a cut-throat business. I kind of went through this before with Orlando and being there with the Lakers for eight years, and you could cause the No. 1 player and the No. 1 executive [Jerry West] to leave, that should tell me you're cut-throat.
"A lot of people might think I have hard feelings, I don't have hard feelings."
At one time the Mavericks were working on draft-related deals to acquire O'Neal.
"I know for a fact that Mitch didn't want to trade me in the conference because he knows what kind of guy I am," O'Neal said. "He knows if he were to trade me in the conference, [the Lakers] would have had trouble. Smart, smart move on his part."
O'Neal also did not hide his disappointment over Phil Jackson not returning as coach and not being made aware of management's decision on that front.
"Nobody told me Phil Jackson was going to be fired," he told SportsCenter. "I'm not the owner of the team, but when a guy takes you to the Finals four out of the five years, [with] the turmoil he had to go through, that just tells me he's a great coach, point blank period."
The Lakers' most significant acquisition is the versatile Odom, coming off the best season in his five-year NBA career. He and Butler were considered cornerstones in the Heat's recent rebuilding effort, while Grant is a 10-year veteran.
Riley said he was saddened to part with all three players.
"It disheartens me to see them leave," Riley said. "However, you don't get many chances to acquire the best player in the league, and this was a trade I felt we had to make."
With the departure of three starters, Riley will build his team around O'Neal, Olympian Dwyane Wade and Jones, Miami's leading scorer each of the last four seasons. The Heat will now shop for help at both forward positions and backup point guard, and free agents will likely consider Miami a more appealing option with the addition of O'Neal.
"Everybody wants to be here now," said Jones, who played with O'Neal in Los Angeles from 1996 to 1998.
Each player involved in the trade must pass a physical before joining his new team. O'Neal's first appearance in South Florida is expected to be Tuesday, the Heat said.
He instantly becomes Miami's highest-profile athlete, and Heat ticket sales have been brisk this week. O'Neal is moving from one city enthralled by celebrities to another, but there are a lot more of them in Los Angeles than in Miami, and O'Neal is likely to become the biggest thing on South Beach.
"There's a lot of excitement going around in the city," Heat guard Rasual Butler said. "They call Shaquille O'Neal 'Big Daddy' for a reason -- because everything he does is big. And it's big news that he's coming here."
-------------------------------------------------
I just watched an interview with him on ESPN. He seems pretty happy, and didn't take any jabs at the Lakers or Kobe. All I can say is i'm glad they didn't trade him to the West.
What do you guys think??
-Rvr2Bch

mirvin
07-14-2004, 03:47 PM
Of course he's happy. He lives there. He's done anyway, I mean, he came to L.A., kicked ass, won rings, time to retire.
I'm sure he'll have time to master the "free throw":D
mirvin

SHAKE-YO-AZZ
07-14-2004, 03:48 PM
maybe he will learn to shoot free throws there

Rvr2Bch
07-14-2004, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by SHAKE-YO-AZZ
maybe he will learn to shoot free throws there
Maybe the warmer temp or the humidity will help:D

Kilrtoy
07-14-2004, 03:50 PM
He will never again be on a winning team..

cigarette1
07-14-2004, 03:52 PM
SUCKERS !!!
We used his fat ass up and now it's time to throw him out with the bath water
:D :D :D

Lightning
07-14-2004, 03:54 PM
He has a lot of remoldeling to do on his home, everything in there is Lakers colors - even the practice court that he built.

twistedpair
07-14-2004, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by Kilrtoy
He will never again be on a winning team..
He's on a winning team now. Championship team, probably not this year, but winning for sure.

dmontzsta
07-14-2004, 03:58 PM
Personally I like the fact of having a young team. We lost the Championship because we were simply outplayed by a younger team. Lamar Odom is a great basketball player, Brian Grant really hustles and has given shaq a hard time in the past. Caron Butler is another up and coming player, I think we made out on this deal. The stats show that all the great centers have declined at the age of 32, and that is where shaq is now. As Dr. Jerry Buss said "It is better to trade him two years early, than two years too late."
:)

uclahater
07-14-2004, 04:05 PM
I will miss shaq. The guy did alot more for the city of Los Angelas then play Basketball:cool: I think if hes motivated to stay in shape hes still got 2 to 3 years of being the best. Koby needs to learn from Jordon now cause the pressure is going to be on if he signs with the Lakers:D

mirvin
07-14-2004, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by uclahater
I will miss shaq. The guy did alot more for the city of Los Angelas then play Basketball:cool: I think if hes motivated to stay in shape hes still got 2 to 3 years of being the best. Koby needs to learn from Jordon now cause the pressure is going to be on if he signs with the Lakers:D
You know what, I hope Kobe splits too!!! Kobe cant' do nothing without Shaq. And Kobe will only stand in the way of a true "team".
mirvin;)

Rvr2Bch
07-14-2004, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by mirvin
You know what, I hope Kobe splits too!!! Kobe cant' do nothing without Shaq. And Kobe will only stand in the way of a true "team".
mirvin;)
All I know is that if Kobe signs with the Clips, my Clippers season tickets just got a lot more valuable!:D
-Rvr2Bch

PlyaPlya22
07-14-2004, 05:02 PM
Hate to seem him go/glad to see him go..:confused:

MagicMtnDan
07-14-2004, 05:24 PM
Couple of very interesting quotes:
On the last time he talked to Jerry Buss, O'Neal told SportsCenter, "I don't think I have ever had a conversation with him."
On his opinion of Kupchak, "I don't have an opinion," O'Neal said, adding that the changing makeup of the Lakers under Kupchak "tells me that this is a cut-throat business. I kind of went through this before with Orlando and being there with the Lakers for eight years, and you could cause the No. 1 player and the No. 1 executive [Jerry West] to leave, that should tell me you're cut-throat.
This is unexplored territory for the Lakers. In the past they've ACQUIRED big men: Wilt, Kareem, and Shaq.
Getting rid of Phil Jackson and Shaq, although both are past their prime, in order to placate Kobe who still is uncomitted to the Lakers, and facing a possible jail term, is all very questionable.
I'd feel a LOT better about this if Jerry West were still running the team but he's not and Phil and Shaq are gone. I've stopped being a fan of Kobe's and now root against him (actually hope he leaves the Lakers and goes to jail). He's a miserable spoiled kid who will never be happy even when he wins. The Lakers are destined to wish for the days of Shaq and Kobe. :frown:

jas0502
07-14-2004, 05:29 PM
Whooo Hooo!!!! See ya !!!!:D

little rowe boat
07-14-2004, 05:33 PM
I wish they would have gotten rid of Kobe instead of Shaq.Who knows if they will let him play on the work release program.If he goes to Denver,they will probably let him play on a work release program, but not if he is still in LA. :D

Jeanyus
07-14-2004, 06:27 PM
BFD. Go Detroit

FRENCHIE
07-14-2004, 06:38 PM
true lakers fans like be are bummed...but you gotta be with the team in the bad as well as the good!:(

SHAKE-YO-AZZ
07-14-2004, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by FRENCHIE
true lakers fans like be are bummed...but you gotta be with the team in the bad as well as the good!:(
I still love the lakers, :D

FRENCHIE
07-14-2004, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by SHAKE-YO-AZZ
I still love the lakers, :D
you go my fellow "Laker post *****!":p :D

DryHeatOnly
07-14-2004, 06:52 PM
I feel we've made a terrible mistake. :(
You don't get rid of the most dominant center in the league.
You improve the supporting cast.

FRENCHIE
07-14-2004, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by DryHeatOnly
I feel we've made a terrible mistake. :(
You don't get rid of the most dominant center in the league.
You improve the supporting cast.
your 100% right! oh how it hurts!:(

Kilrtoy
07-14-2004, 07:15 PM
Who knows if they will let him play on the work release program
This aint L.A. They are going to throw the key away on him

KineticoH20
07-14-2004, 08:53 PM
Let me first say im a huge laker fan since i was 5.But a guy who thinks anoffer of 90mil over 3 yrs is a quote "is disrespecting me" has got to go,i hope his friggin toe falls off the ungrateful Bastard!

MagicMtnDan
07-14-2004, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by ShockwaveBob
You are now, officially, the only person I've ever heard describe Kobe as a miserable spoiled kid. The "kid" has three rings. He's 25. You are bitter because he expects his fat ass teammates to show up in shape and make a couple free throws? Kobe's gone. He's a Clipper. They traded Melvin Ely and Eddie House today and are not going to match Q's offer from the Suns. Kobe's gone.
I guess pro golfers don't read the sports pages much - here's someone else you can call "bitter" - a professional sports writer who calls Kobe spoiled...
COMMENTARY
By Michael Ventre
NBCSports.com contributor
Updated: 4:16 a.m. ET July 11, 2004
LOS ANGELES - In professional sports, it is a sad day when an individual’s skills begin to deteriorate before our very eyes. It happens to the best of them. One minute he’s dominating the competition, the next he’s careening toward laughingstock status.
Not long ago, Jerry Buss was the best team owner in the land.
Almost overnight, he has become Jerry Reinsdorf.
Worse, he’s Donald Sterling.
It doesn’t get much lower than that.
Only a couple of days after the Lakers lost the NBA Finals in humiliating fashion to the Detroit Pistons, Buss dislodged himself from his omnipresent bevy of young starlets, Hollywood bottom-feeders and sycophantic refugees from the Playboy mansion and decided to hand his franchise over to Kobe Bryant.
Kobe now has the run of the place. No, he’s not signed, but that’s a mere formality now, because Buss railroaded Kobe’s two biggest enemies on the team, Phil Jackson and Shaquille O’Neal, out of the picture so Kobe could put his feet up, light a cigar and lord over the manor.
After his exit meeting Friday, the team announced that Jackson ill not return to the Lakers. On the same day, an angry Shaq requested a trade.
Kobe thus at 25 becomes the youngest owner of a professional sports franchise. He owns the team. If Kobe wants Buss to shine his shoes, Buss will drop his cocktail and commence to spitting and buffing.
This is what Kobe has wanted all along, and now he has it.
Big mistake. This franchise is now in ruins. Any second now, Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger is expected to declare it a disaster area.
I realize in this day and age that the inmates are not only running the asylum, they own it. Kobe Bryant is a free agent, and because of that, he currently has an extraordinary amount of power.
But Buss completely mishandled the situation, and as a result, it will be a long, long time before the Los Angeles Lakers return to the NBA Finals.
It isn’t necessarily that he’s backing the wrong horse, it’s that he doesn’t realize how many horses it takes to create a unit special enough to contend year in and year out for a world championship. What makes the Lakers unique is the inside-outside combination of Shaq and Kobe. When they played team basketball, they and their supporting cast were extremely difficult to stop. And Jackson was the respected, experienced coach who was able to beg, demand, coerce and cajole them into working together.
But when general manager Mitch Kupchak held a press conference on Thursday to discuss the state of the team, you could read between the lines and hear Buss’s wishes: Phil is gone, Shaq is gone, and a once-proud organization is now just a weird cult that worships one SPOILED superstar player.
Make no mistake, Shaq laid the groundwork for his estrangement from Buss and Laker brass. He deserves blame for creating his own mess. Before the 2002-03 season, he took the summer off, then had knee surgery just prior to training camp, putting a burden on the rest of his teammates. His infamous explanation: “I got hurt on company time, so I’ll rehab on company time.” That was the beginning of the end.
Then during training camp last October, he complained publicly over the fact that he hadn’t been given a contract extension. Buss was irked even further.
This past season has been a well-chronicled melodrama, producing more tension between Kobe and Shaq, and between Shaq and management. There is no doubt that Shaq’s lack of dedication in the offseason and his habit of playing hard every other game alienated certain people in the front office.
But Buss doesn’t realize how few dominant big men there are in the game today, and despite his drawbacks, Shaq is still at the top of the list. Buss should have used more diplomacy. He should have lobbied much harder with Kobe, Shaq and Phil to keep them together. He should have tried to impress upon them how valuable they are as a group. As great a challenge as it might have been, he should have gone the extra mile to keep all three happy.
Instead, he took a page from Reinsdorf, who sent Jackson packing and broke up the Chicago Bulls when Michael Jordan & Co. were still poised to win a couple more championships. Like Reinsdorf, Buss wants to cut costs. He can’t see paying Shaq $30 million a year, and Jackson $6 million per. So he’ll lavish maximum dollars on Kobe, ax the other two and put an inferior product on the floor.
Sterling has been following the same formula for years with the Clippers. He maintains one of the lowest payrolls in the league, and consequently, his club remains in the NBA’s sewer.
In basketball terms, building a team around Kobe Bryant is one of the most asinine moves in the history of the league. These past NBA Finals should have provided more than enough evidence of that. There are many reasons the Lakers lost to the Pistons, but most notable among them was Bryant’s insistence on forcing himself on Detroit instead of taking what the defense gave him. He never adjusted his game to the circumstances. The Pistons suckered Kobe in, knowing his ego would lead to his and his team’s downfall. They couldn’t have been more prescient.
But this is nothing new. Bryant fancies himself the new Michael Jordan, but in reality he’s following the reverse career path. Jordan spent six years as a one-man gang, scoring but not winning, until he learned to be a team player. Then he won six titles, beginning in 1991. Kobe is just the opposite: Forced-fed a team concept by Jackson, he won three championships in five seasons under the Zen Master. But now Buss is giving him the freedom to be the central focus of the club, and this will result in Bryant and the Lakers transforming into losers.
Bryant has revealed himself over this past year to be a selfish, narcissistic egomaniac. None of his teammates like him. Shaq at least served as a buffer in the locker room. Kobe is supremely talented, but as a human being -– and a young one at that –- he doesn’t command the respect necessary to lead a team to a championship.
And now that Buss has taken sides in the Kobe-Shaq feud instead of trying to smooth it out, just where do the Lakers trade Shaq? And what do they get in return for a player with two years left on his deal making close to $30 million per? How do they get anything close to equal value?
A lot of teams would love to have Shaq, but only a few have players like Kevin Garnett, Tim Duncan, Yao Ming and Jermaine O’Neal, who might fit the bill in a superstar-for-superstar big man swap. Those players are settled firmly in their team’s futures, and it’s extremely unlikely they’ll be dealt for a 32-year-old center with 11 NBA seasons’ worth of wear and tear on his knees. If the Lakers trade Shaq for a package of lesser players and draft picks, they’ll quickly tumble down the list of Western Conference powers.
Buss began his rapid decline a couple of years ago, when he failed to recognize how important Jerry West was to the Lakers’ organization. He allowed West to go to Memphis, where he has built the Grizzlies into a playoff contender in an astonishingly short period of time. West was the heart, soul and spirit of the Lakers, as well as a superb judge of talent and the most cunning dealmaker in sports. Kupchak is intelligent and hard-working, but he doesn’t have the persuasive powers that West possessed. He can’t penetrate the owner’s stubbornness like West could.
No, Buss has nobody to restrain him, and because of that, Bryant has nobody to restrain him either.
They deserve each other.
Michael Ventre writes regularly for NBCSports.com and is a freelance writer in Los Angeles.

Dr. Eagle
07-14-2004, 09:13 PM
Originally posted by MagicMtnDan
I guess pro golfers don't read the sports pages much - here's someone else you can call "bitter" - a professional sports writer who calls Kobe spoiled...
COMMENTARY
. He can’t penetrate the owner’s stubbornness like West could.
ichael Ventre writes regularly for NBCSports.com and is a freelance writer in Los Angeles.
I think shaq will enjoy all of the Cuban Cigars he'll be able to get there...

NorCal Gameshow
07-14-2004, 09:28 PM
i'm not sure what came first...jerry west getting out 'cause he could see the chaos coming..
or,
the choas came 'cause jerry west left...
either way, they miss him...

Bow Tie Omega
07-14-2004, 10:01 PM
Have any of these Sports Journalists seen Shaq play in the last 2 seasons? Whoo hoo!!!!!!!! Shaq is gone. I think we actually have a chance now. No more Hack a Shaq, no more missing 15-20 free throws a night. That leaves more time for shooting. Kobe grew this year in the playoffs, he re-discovered the back board and what a valuable tool it can be. And with the newly acquired talent, look out, the Lakers will pick up some speed as well, no more watching Shaq walk down the court during the fast break. This is really good news, it really is:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

NorCal Gameshow
07-14-2004, 10:04 PM
Originally posted by Bow Tie Omega
Have any of these Sports Journalists seen Shaq play in the last 2 seasons? Whoo hoo!!!!!!!! Shaq is gone. I think we actually have a chance now. No more Hack a Shaq, no more missing 15-20 free throws a night. That leaves more time for shooting. Kobe grew this year in the playoffs, he re-discovered the back board and what a valuable tool it can be. And with the newly acquired talent, look out, the Lakers will pick up some speed as well, no more watching Shaq walk down the court during the fast break. This is really good news, it really is:D :D :D :D :
I think the refs control how effective shaq is ...
what happens if kobe becomes a clipper???:eek:

dmontzsta
07-14-2004, 10:21 PM
Originally posted by Bow Tie Omega
Have any of these Sports Journalists seen Shaq play in the last 2 seasons? Whoo hoo!!!!!!!! Shaq is gone. I think we actually have a chance now. No more Hack a Shaq, no more missing 15-20 free throws a night. That leaves more time for shooting. Kobe grew this year in the playoffs, he re-discovered the back board and what a valuable tool it can be. And with the newly acquired talent, look out, the Lakers will pick up some speed as well, no more watching Shaq walk down the court during the fast break. This is really good news, it really is:D ::D :D
I agree! :)
I have a bad feeling Kobe might leave though :( lets hope not...his friend on the clippers might have some pull. But if Kobe is truely smart, then...he will stay with the Lakers, cause the clippers have always been the step child.
...tommorrow will tell.

Rvr2Bch
07-15-2004, 12:09 AM
Originally posted by NorCal Gameshow
I think the refs control how effective shaq is ...
what happens if kobe becomes a clipper???:eek:
If that happens, half of my season tickets are goin up on EBay. Money Money Money!!
-Rvr2Bch