PDA

View Full Version : Indmar Predator 350 mods?

UDLOSE
07-14-2004, 06:36 PM
I just bought a new Mastercraft 205V with this motor and would like to do some mods....
Has anyone done any mods to this motor?
Thanks in advance

celeb1
07-16-2004, 06:09 AM
Should be a Chevy Vortech 350 with throttle body injection. It is cammed for hole shot and it has an ECM that may or may not be reprogrammable. The heads are vortech fastburn and are pretty decent. When you say you want to do some mods what do you want to get out of the motor, more top end or more midrange performance.

BrendellaJet
07-16-2004, 01:04 PM
I read something about those boats back in hot boat a few years ago. They are heavy. They are made for one thing-Pulling. The boat is a brick. You can add all the horsepower you want, but that doesn't change the fact that its still a brick. I dont think the hull design is conducive to speed...Just what I read...I often thought of buying one of the tow boats, I think they look good, but they are just too slow. Id be interested to see if they can do 70 or 80 mph. that'd be cool IMO.

quiet riot
07-16-2004, 07:17 PM
Assuming that is a direct drive tournament ski boat I think you'll find what Brendellajet said to be true. When I worked a marina a few years back (we sold sanger tournament ski boats, the only other boat in mastercrafts class at the time) we found that 100 hp mods only made 2-3 mph diff in top speed. They would pull harder but they pulled pretty good to start with. Center engine placement (center of gravity moved way up in the boat) is the biggest limiting factor in top speed for these type boats. The hulls are always going to ride extremely wet by design.
The barefoot ski models with conventional I/O engine placement or O.B.'s react much better to hp gains and are designed for higher speed. A good tournament ski boat has no other match for watersports though, its a trade-off.
jd

celeb1
07-19-2004, 11:05 AM
The biggest problems with these direct drives are that they are geared for low end pull and not top speed. There is no trim either. I am not an expert in direct or V-drive props but they are surely a limiting factor unless you go $$ custom. You have a great ski boat, enjoy it for what it is and remember that 3/4 of this website is advice for fixing what too much torque breaks.