PDA

View Full Version : Fiberglass info, tips, needed

Checkmate
07-14-2004, 07:14 PM
Here is the deal. My boat has a hood over the engine. It has already been lifted up an inch due to clearance problems with the carb and valve covers. I am looking to run a 1 inch carb spacer and a tall flame arrester and or scoop. I do not want to cut up the original hood I have nor would it be logical to run without a hood due to the back seating arrangement of the boat.
Therefore here are my plans, cover the hood with some nonstick spray or cooking oil and make a copy of the hood out of fiberglass. Now I would have a duplicate, but it would be rough on the outside, then take that copy and make a copy on the inside of that so I would then have a duplicate of the original hood and the finished surface would be the smooth side. I can then cut and alter this hood without any worries and when time to sell the boat I would still have the original unbutchered hood.
If you look at the pic below, you will see why I need to run with the hood for safety of passengers.
My questions are:
#1 would cooking oil protect my paint on the hood from the fiberglass sticking?
#2 should I use a mat, or cut up a mat and mix it in with the fiberglass?
#3 How many layers would be good?
#4 Where can I find 5 gallon buckets of fiberglass?
And last, does anyone have any better ideas that they would like to share?
Thanks again, Dan;)

Rick Byers
07-14-2004, 08:33 PM
Why not duplicate the orignal using 1/4 inch plywood and 2x2 braceing then just skim coat it with glass and mat. and paint to order. Just a thought Rick

Craig
07-15-2004, 08:04 AM
You might want to refine your choice of materials a little, but your on the right track. I get my supplies from http://www.fibreglast.com
Good products and information.
Craig

lucky
07-15-2004, 09:26 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Checkmate
[B]Here is the deal. My boat has a hood over the engine. It has already been lifted up an inch due to clearance problems with the carb and valve covers. I am looking to run a 1 inch carb spacer and a tall flame arrester and or scoop. I do not want to cut up the original hood I have nor would it be logical to run without a hood due to the back seating arrangement of the boat.
Therefore here are my plans, cover the hood with some nonstick spray?
I would get some mold wax
then i would make your mold , a little taller then lay - your gel coat and then build from the outside in - just like a boat -
i think i would just raise the center section of the scoop ( cut it out in a pattern and add a strip around it ) there are different ways to raise it - what you would have to aske yourself is what would be the cleanest and easiest to do with your experience ? you could also just cut a square out of it and add a hawood scoop - they have some nice desighns .

lucky
07-15-2004, 09:32 AM
look

mirvin
07-15-2004, 12:44 PM
I agree with Lucky. Way easier to modify then to rebuild. IMO.
mirvin;)

Checkmate
07-16-2004, 03:42 PM
I want to keep THIS hood original just because there aren't many out there.
I basically know what I am going to do now, I just need to find a place that sells fiberglass in 5 gal buckets.

Clown
07-17-2004, 03:28 PM
Eager Plastics In Chicago Il
Sells it in any size you want!:D From Pints to 55gal drums

Checkmate
07-17-2004, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by lucky
I would get some mold wax
then i would make your mold , a little taller then lay - your gel coat and then build from the outside in - just like a boat -
[/B]
Okay, I found a place to get the fiberglass. Now, where can I find somer of that mold wax? Sounds like it may be cheaper/ easier to use that for the mold.

Checkmate
07-17-2004, 09:43 PM
Okay, I just checked out Eager Plastics, they seem to have whatever I need. Now the question is...what DO I need? I never knew there was so many different types of this sh1t.
I assume it would be beneficial to go with some type of mold material for my mold of my hood. The I would need to make the product. Do I start with the gel coat as mentioned above. How many layers? What type of fiberglass do I use?
Any detailed info will be appreciated, I want to get this done asap, but I am not going to start it til I know what exactly I need to do.
Thanks, Dan:cool:

mirvin
07-21-2004, 10:24 AM
Make sure you use at least 2 different cloths in alternating layers. If you want to maximize strength then use 3 layers alternating.
1- standard weave- should be fiarly thin and tightly woven.
2- "Roving"- a much larger version of the standard weave. this will be very thick and the fibers that make up the weave will be very thick also.
3- Matt - this is more like a plywood or particle board version of fiberglass cloth. Be careful with it because it comes apart real easy.
If you have a West Marine near you they have lots of info in the form of hint books.
THe only other thing is to make sure you get a high quality "Epoxy". Stay away from "plyester" resin.
Also, I guess it's gonna be tough to match the gelcoat?? What are your plans for that?? Have you ever worked with fiberglass before? If not, no biggie, there's just a whole bunch of safety stuff to be aware of.
mirvin

BrendellaJet
07-23-2004, 11:14 AM
From what i've read, gel coat wont stick to epoxy. 9 out of 10 people Ive talked with say stay away from epoxy products...

Clown
07-24-2004, 05:16 AM
Go To Menards And get some 1/2"inch foam insualation board With the foil on both sides and just glass over that with two or three layers of matt &Cloth
If you use a mold lay the Gell Coat Down First, And what ever you see in your Mold Is 10 Times BETTER than the Finished Product.
Talk to Peter at Eager he will Fill you in "JUST BE PATIECTANT"
HE Talks a little out of his A$$
He will tell you Exactley what you need
If he gives you a Hard time Just E:Mail Me
I;LL Take care of you.
I' Like when people do Glass work, "Makes me all Itchy" Inside.:D ;
Sorry I put it up wrong, Place the first time Got it now!