PDA

View Full Version : Trailer repair in Parker??

casean
07-15-2004, 01:23 PM
I need to replace all the bunks on the trailer. Does anyone know of a place in Parker that can do this? I would like to drop the boat in the water, drop the trailer off then boat all day while the bunks are replace. Any recommendations or suggestions would be a great help.
Thanks,

mbrown2
07-15-2004, 01:44 PM
Not Parker, but Havasu....had Zieman rebunk a trailer...they took about 4-5 hours and were...dropped off in the morning...picked up in the afternoon.

faster
07-15-2004, 03:37 PM
I just had my Trailer repaired at Lane's Alignment in parker. Nice guy seems very commited to doing a good Job. Try him at 928-669-3000 ask for Lane.

boatnam2
07-15-2004, 03:37 PM
we borrowed my buddies peice of shit boat for vacation this week and i ended up redoing 4 of the bunks.pretty easy job.

Boatcop
07-15-2004, 06:29 PM
I'm with boatnam
A couple of pressure treated 2x4s and/or 2x6s, some bunk carpet from West Marine, a staple gun, stainless (or galvanized) carriage bolts, nuts and washers, a six pack or two, and a few hours is all you need.

Floored
07-15-2004, 07:16 PM
that would be "Pepsi" right Boatcop? so the bunks run front to back instead of side to side!!:D

casean
07-15-2004, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by Boatcop
I'm with boatnam
A couple of pressure treated 2x4s and/or 2x6s, some bunk carpet from West Marine, a staple gun, stainless (or galvanized) carriage bolts, nuts and washers, a six pack or two, and a few hours is all you need.
Thanks all. I'm going to take your advice and do it myself. The bunks will last another couple trips, so I'm going to spend next weekend prepping them. I have a trip planned to Aha Quin August 1st, so I'll drop the boat in the water and knock it out real quick in the morning.
I've read in some other threads that 5/16 stainless lag bolts were the way to go. Has anyone had experience using these instead of carriage bolts and nuts?
Thanks,

Floored
07-16-2004, 02:36 AM
I have lag bolts in mine and you carry spares 'cause they fall out at bad times and you launch and away go the bunks!!

boatnam2
07-16-2004, 04:47 AM
i just went down to the local indian home depot in town grabed carpet, lag bolts, washers and lock washers used the old wood and already had a staple gun.i would of liked to counter sunk the bolts with nuts with loctite on the the other side but it was my buddies trailer and since he dont take care of it i didnt feel i should go all out to fix it.one thing to remember is to do one at a time that way you have a reference point to where the bunk should go.

casean
07-16-2004, 08:28 AM
Originally posted by Floored
I have lag bolts in mine and you carry spares 'cause they fall out at bad times and you launch and away go the bunks!!
That's not good. Maybe I'll spend the extra time and counter sink some carriage bolts. It might be worth the extra time to avoid seeing one of the bunks float down river.

Akamatsu
07-16-2004, 12:07 PM
I did my bunks last year. Easy job, about 2 hours and a couple six packs. I precut the lumber, then used marine varnish on it(probably overkill). I also precut the carpet(rough precut). I ended up using SS carriage bolts with a flatwasher and double nut. I did one at a time. Took the old one off. Used C-Clamps to clamp the new board on exactly where I wanted it, then drilled the holes in the wood to attach to the trailer. I then countersunk each one about 3/16". Once the carriage bolts were all countersunk and in the wood, I took it off the trailer and stapled on the carpet, covering the carriage bolt heads. A little secret was to wet the carpet while I stapled it on. Seemed to work really well for making it easy to stretch around the wood. I dipped the carpet in a bucket of water, and then used a spray bottle to keep it wet(Did it in Havasu). Came out great. The other thing I did was to cut a few small 1 foot bunks and practiced on them at home, before doing the real ones. Helped out on technique for the ends, which were the only tricky part to covering with carpet. Good luck