PDA

View Full Version : We got hammered by a Havasu monsoon

clownpuncher
07-15-2004, 07:44 PM
Monday night at the Nautical. Eating pizza in the grass by the new rooms with about forty firemen and family. Our group was 60, but, some chose to go eat a real meal.
It was dark and the storm hit pretty hard. Most of our groups boats were in the little cove by the Captain's Table and suffered no damage at all.
The boats parked in front of the new rooms got HAMMERED. At least one boat sunk to the bottom and another freeboard challenged boat that was beached was filled to the steering wheel with water. EZ-ups flying like they were paper bags. Several other boats were washed up on shore, outdrives buried, other boats just banging into each other. Who knows where the owners were. Our gorup did what we could to make sure people were safe and boats were secure, but, when theres that much chaos and people running around we couldn't do a whole lot but tie some boats off and help those that would rather get their boats into open water. A few boats pushed off the shore and weathered the storm in the bay. Not sure I woulda done that in my little 21 footer.
Some people, including those in our firemen group, came back from dinner after the storm hit and had no clue what had happened.
You'd think that the Nautical ( and other boating resorts for that matter) would have some sort of warning system when a storm is approaching. A siren, a group-call on the room phones or something. Even a few flyers stating that the weatherman says "possible storm to hit today". Something to give the boaters a heads up and a chance to secure their boats and ez-ups. Lots of boat damage and possibly a few injuries could have been minimized.

Kilrtoy
07-15-2004, 07:48 PM
You'd think that the Nautical ( and other boating resorts for that matter) would have some sort of warning system when a storm is approaching. A siren, a group-call on the room phones or something. Even a few flyers stating that the weatherman says "possible storm to hit today". Something to give the boaters a heads up and a chance to secure their boats and ez-ups. Lots of boat damage and possibly a few injuries could have been minimized.
That means spending some of their money from the overpriced rooms, on helping out their customers......
That is not a good story as far as the boats go....

little rowe boat
07-15-2004, 07:48 PM
You can usually see them comming from quite a ways off.

FRENCHIE
07-15-2004, 07:50 PM
its only water!! and that's what we go to the river for!!:p

Debbolas
07-15-2004, 07:51 PM
We started to leave our boat there, and didn't like it. That side faces the lake.
Funny thing about storms, they can just blow over or rip the hell out of everything, you don't really know until they come;)

clownpuncher
07-15-2004, 07:53 PM
Originally posted by little rowe boat
You can usually see them comming from quite a ways off.
In the daytime sure, but, it was dark. I think it hit about 9pm or so.
Kilrtoy, funny you mention that. After the storm I asked some security guards about it and they said the owners don't want to spend any money on things like that. Weird.

Havasu_Dreamin
07-15-2004, 07:53 PM
That's why you check the weather before you launch.

little rowe boat
07-15-2004, 07:55 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by clownpuncher
[B]In the daytime sure, but, it was dark. I think it hit about 9pm or so.
I look for the lightning.

clownpuncher
07-15-2004, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by Havasu_Dreamin
That's why you check the weather before you launch.
Ahhh, we did. The report on the weather channel said it wouldn't hit until Wednesday afternoon. This was Monday night.

mbrown2
07-15-2004, 07:56 PM
They can come up pretty fast in the day....even checking the weather before launch does not save you.....just got to find safe cove, channel, or get it to the launch ramp..

FRENCHIE
07-15-2004, 07:58 PM
yes do that!!;)

Ultracrazy
07-15-2004, 07:59 PM
Oh gezzzzz......which direction did go and come from.....my boat is in the Topock Marina.........:( :eek:

little rowe boat
07-15-2004, 08:00 PM
If one is inbound and we can't avoid it,we will find a cove and ride it out.

THATJEFFGUY
07-15-2004, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by clownpuncher
EZ-ups flying like they were paper bags.
Oh now that's what I like to hear about those EZ-Ups!:D Glad no one was hurt though !
COOL COVER CANOPY (http://coolcovercanopy.com)

Havasu_Dreamin
07-15-2004, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by little rowe boat
If one is inbound and we can't avoid it,we will find a cove and ride it out.
That's the best thing to do.

MRS FLYIN VEE
07-15-2004, 08:45 PM
they should have alittle horn thing like they do when a tornado is coming just to make everyone aware..
that really sucks for the people with the damage.. but as long as no one got hurt bad thats a good thing.. ;)

riverbound
07-15-2004, 08:58 PM
. At least one boat sunk to the bottom
That was my buddies boat, thats what he gets for going to the river while work, j/k. he now has an excuse to build his motor up a little because they had to tear it down because of all the water and sand.

shueman
07-15-2004, 09:03 PM
Put it on th trailer. Take down the beach gear. Pretty simple. Helps to look out at the surrounding sky every now and then this time of year.

MRS FLYIN VEE
07-15-2004, 09:04 PM
oh that sucks really bad.. but maybe it's a good thing for him now.. I don't know.. at least no one got hurt.;)

Debbolas
07-15-2004, 09:05 PM
We know the drill at lake Powell, before we leave the beach for a boat ride, we fold down the beach chairs and put away anything that blows around:D

MagicMtnDan
07-15-2004, 10:56 PM
That's right-thinking IF you're thinking about a hotel that's actually concerned for its guests and their boats/vehicles and property. But the Nautical Inn ain't a normal hotel. It's the Kobe of hotels :eek: All they care about there is the bottom line. If you know that before you go there you won't be disappointed when they don't do anything except take your money (and they've been known to take it more than once - keep an eye on your credit card statement :yuk: ).

BoatPI
07-16-2004, 05:31 AM
Listen to the wind at night, if it starts to pick up, well, in comes the rain etc. Yet many people are just blind to the storms. I have a video that I shot years ago at the Nautical, I saw the storm comming, the large dust storm just ahead of the rain, yelled from the balcony for everyone to take down the EZ ups, and beach boats in a cove. The tour paddle boat was seen powering through Thompson Bay at 20 MPH. HE knew! Two jet boats sank while trying to return to the channel.
All of this says something for a simple float switch to make an automatic bildge pump.
Not one person moved, they just looked up into the town at the incomming storm, like it was at Universal Studios Tour. Then when it was too latye, the EZ's went flying into the marina, two boats sank, etc. I still have the video and play it on occassion to remind myself how so many people are like sheep. Go figure.

Kachina26
07-16-2004, 05:52 AM
As seen on the Golden Shores news website. I just put it here for a giggle. I thought it was fitting. I hope all recover from their property losses.
WEATHER WARNING
Desert - If you are new to the desert you should understand that Flash Floods can happen almost instantly in desert washes, even when there are no clouds. When the National Weather Service issues a FLASH FLOOD WATCH, that means to check the weather where you are going and be on the lookout for water across the roadways. If the NWS issues a FLASH FLOOD WARNING, that means water has already been reported in the washes and on the roadways and you should use extreme caution.
You should NEVER attempt to go through water across the roadway. You can be swept away almost instantly. Almost every year in Arizona, people drown because they thought they could make it...
Keep your radio and TV tuned so you can get the latest alerts this time of year. It could save your life. http://www.frontiernet.net/~davbarj/pics/lightning.gif

rrrr
07-16-2004, 05:55 AM
I think all boaters should have one of these....
http://www.westmarine.com/images/full/wrs101_f.jpg
Oregon Scientific's new NOAA Tuck Away Radio with S.A.M.E. is the perfect solution if you want to screen out broadcasts that don't affect your area. Specific Area Messaging Encoding (S.A.M.E.) allows you to receive alerts only for those geographical areas you're interested in--up to six counties of your choice. Provides comprehensive reception of critical storm, tornado, and hurricane warnings, 24-hour local weather forecasts, and US Emergency Alert broadcasts in a slim, attractive desktop design.
7 Channel NOAA PLL receiver
Single line LCD indicates NOAA channel & County settings
Flashing red "alert" bar and audible warning
Built-in digital alarm clock
Backlit LCD screen
Large 2 1/4 inch speaker
Battery Type: 3 "AAA"
AC/DC adapter (included)
IN jack for external antenna connection and/or speaker
Dimensions: 3.27"W X 0.91"D
I just keep it out when we are boating and stay informed. Just takes a minute to listen to the forecast every couple of hours. It also turns on automatically when there is a storm warning.
It could save you and your family from some major grief, cheap insurance for 45 bucks. There's only one person responsible for monitoring the weather.....you.