PDA

View Full Version : HELP - anchoring question

yvette
07-16-2004, 06:23 AM
I am new to boating. After I set the anchor and tie it to the boat, where should I put the float/buoy? Should I attach it to the anchor rope or does it go on a separate line with a weight just to mark the spot? Please give specific procedures if you can. I know this may be a dumb question so please be patient as I am trying to learn the ropes. Thanks.

dicudmore
07-16-2004, 06:51 AM
prob attach to anchor line via tie up for convenience ;)

yvette
07-16-2004, 07:06 AM
but then you would have to take it when yo take the boat out so your spot cannot be marked??? how do u guys do it?

Big_Gunz_
07-16-2004, 07:17 AM
I have my buoy tied to my anchor line by a 1' rope and a metal clip. I attach it to the bow tie using the metal clip. When I leave my spot, I unclip the buoy and anchor. When I return, I grab the buoy, reclip the metal clip to the bow tie.
Hope this helps

redneckgirl
07-16-2004, 07:21 AM
We have a snap on the anchor rope that snaps to the bow hook...we attach "snap" the bouy to the anchor line at the snap. Like the picture in my sig below.

Lightning
07-16-2004, 08:25 AM
I have two floats on my anchor -
one with a 3 ft rope attached to the anchor <- so people know their is an anchor in the water and don't kick it.
the other is attached to where the clip for the line is so I know where it is if I leave and come back.

yvette
07-16-2004, 09:10 AM
how long is your anchor line?

Lightning
07-16-2004, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by yvette
whoa! easy there, that's a little personal don't ya' think.

Big_Gunz_
07-16-2004, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by yvette
My anchor chain is 20', and I have a 10' rope with a metal clip on the end of that. At the end of the rope is where I clip my buoy and than to the boat.

LOANER
07-16-2004, 09:47 AM
...10'-12' of line with a loop for the bouy and clip for the bow
Anyone have a particular anchor they like?
i'm tired of tending the one I have 3 times a day when we're lounging in a cove.

LUVNLIFE
07-16-2004, 09:50 AM
Buy a Box Anchor. No chain required, just throw it and leave it. They are pricey though, but work the best.;)

1stepcloser
07-16-2004, 09:53 AM
I use a big fluke anchor for permanent anchoring, 10 feet of chain, 20 feet of rope, stainless clip. I also have a 4 foot long, 5/8 steel stake that I hammer into the shore that has 100 feet of 3/8" nylon line wrapped on it, this clips to the stern of the boat.
I have the stern rope attached to the anchor rope with another length of nylon line, so the damn anchor rope doesnt wind up drifting all over the place. ( I hate that!)
I have my floatie tied up about three feet in front of the anchor line bow clip.
I have never had my boat come loose yet.:)

LOANER
07-16-2004, 09:54 AM
thanks! I'll hunt one down. :D

LOANER
07-16-2004, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by 1stepcloser
I use a big fluke anchor for permanent anchoring, 10 feet of chain, 20 feet of rope, stainless clip. I also have a 4 foot long, 5/8 steel stake that I hammer into the shore that has 100 feet of 3/8" nylon line wrapped on it, this clips to the stern of the boat.
I have the stern rope attached to the anchor rope with another length of nylon line, so the damn anchor rope doesnt wind up drifting all over the place. ( I hate that!)
I have my floatie tied up about three feet in front of the anchor line bow clip.
I have never had my boat come loose yet.:)
thanks for Heads up on the tie from the stern rope to the anchor rope. Little tricks like that make life easier!

Outnumbered
07-16-2004, 10:03 AM
Don't worry, some looser will steal your shit when you are out boating so it wont be there when you get back anyway;)
OL

BarryMac
07-16-2004, 10:58 AM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/1628DSC01221-med.JPG
Here is my boat anchored, I use 15' of 3/8 rope, I put a rope clip at the 13' mark that leaves about a two foot tether, I attached my anchor bouy to the tether (blue bottle, it's now a Turtle), works really good. Since we boat 99% of the time on the Lower Colorado River the 15' of rope seems to be long enough...
gjb

BarryMac
07-16-2004, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by Old Lavey
Don't worry, some looser will steal your shit when you are out boating so it wont be there when you get back anyway;)
OL
I sure hope not, those box anchors are expensive, I will be pissed if someone jacks it...
gjb

Outnumbered
07-16-2004, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by gottajetboat
I sure hope not, those box anchors are expensive, I will be pissed if someone jacks it...
gjb
Have you seen all the threads lately? I would say at least three formum members have had their anchors stollen lately while boating.
OL

napster
07-16-2004, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by Old Lavey
Have you seen all the threads lately? I would say at least three formum members have had their anchors stollen lately while boating.
OL
I think we will bring a spare el cheapo mushroom anchor which we can place and take the anchor out when we go out. What is a drag is getting the spike stolen cause it also cost $50. That really sucks that losers have to do that. That's it, I'm packin my BB gun!

BarryMac
07-16-2004, 01:32 PM
I'm with ya napster, that sh*t pisses me off...
gjb

77charger
07-16-2004, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by LUVNLIFE
Buy a Box Anchor. No chain required, just throw it and leave it. They are pricey though, but work the best.;) I finally did thtat the best 120 i spent on boating so far

LUVNLIFE
07-16-2004, 07:01 PM
The thing is Robert everyone bitches about the price until they buy one, then it's all good:D :D

JetBoatRich
07-16-2004, 07:04 PM
I have a box anchor and slide anchor, great for tieing up the boat:) one thing I do not do is leave it in the water unattended over night, they do get stolen:mad:

BarryMac
07-16-2004, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by JetBoatRich
I have a box anchor and slide anchor, great for tieing up the boat:) one thing I do not do is leave it in the water unattended over night, they do get stolen:mad:
What if you are on the Sandbar and want to go for a ride, do you pull it out and hope your spot is there when you get back???
gjb

Three Days Only
07-19-2004, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by gottajetboat
What if you are on the Sandbar and want to go for a ride, do you pull it out and hope your spot is there when you get back???
gjb
Yeah, you take everything with you. Then when you get back and your spot is gone, you park somewhere else, drop down your hook, or put in your sand spike, and continue partying.

RiverPirate
07-19-2004, 03:50 PM
I wouldn't leave anything of value unattended at the Sand Bar if you want to see it again.:(