PDA

View Full Version : 496 HO down on power

teeitup
07-16-2004, 11:39 AM
I have a 496 HO in my boat. My friend has similar boat. We have run together many times and my boat has been faster than his. Now his boat is running faster than mine and I notice a great deal more black soot on the transom on one side than on the other. Before there was an equal amount on each side. Just had a service done (Motor has 25 hours on it) and the dealer said the scan shows everything is normal.
Any ideas?

Raylar
07-17-2004, 10:36 AM
Have a mechanic run a compression test and if possible a leak down test. Record the compression and look for cylinders that are obviously lower lets say 10 to 15 lbs. or more. If your Merc package is on warranty get back to your dealer and SCREAM!. Our expierence with 496's has shown that some motors have piston and ring problems early and loose some compression in some cylinders and loose power accordingly. the Merc scan tool does not monitor the engine like an OBDII computer does in the new vehicles. It will not show lost compression or down on power, only sensor outputs and faults. The sooting seems to be common on most 496's since Merc sets them up to run "FAT" rich on fuel to protect the motors. A sooting on one side only might be a comprssion low tipoff on some cylinders on that side the compression or leak down test will uncover this problem if its there.Hope this helps,
Raylar
Ps: If your freind has one of our new kits, he's for sure going to blow past you!

LAPII
07-17-2004, 06:50 PM
Hey Raylar, waiting for my warranty to expire then I am VERY intrested in one of your kits, can you give me total price for upgrade and a recommend for an installation shop close to the San Fernando Valley. Thanks By the Way, it's a 496 HO w/XR drive.

Raylar
07-19-2004, 07:19 PM
Hey Deckboat, thats an awesome lookin deckboat, do girls really dance and party at 70 mile an hour! Gotta see that sometime. Our kits are priced with or without cams depending on whether you can change your cam easily now or have to pull your motor. The kit w/o cam is $5400 plus shipping and the kit w/cam is $5800 plus shipping horsepower on kit with cam is about 530HP and without cam with our 1.8 rockers is 518Hp for the 496HO. As for shops in your area I hear good things about Boostpower and Gary Teague, but I am sure there are others a thread on this site would probably find some other good shops.
Ray @ Raylar;)