PDA

View Full Version : Maybe I should just get a trailer???

mirvin
07-16-2004, 03:06 PM
So after three tranny rebuilds (motorhome) over the last year, the shop decided it was time to buck up and install a new "remanufactured" transmission from Ford, at no cost to me. I was ok with that, and my warranty would now be with Ford which I was ok with also.
So I show up this morning at the tranny shop for the old "test drive and hand off" to the customer. Not 3 miles into the test drive the new Ford tranny takes a dump!!! Amazing. All forward gears smoked.
Now the RV is back at Don Kott Ford where I've had nothing but nightmares with in the past which is why I went to an independent shop in the firstplace.
Dang.
mirvin;)

MagicMtnDan
07-16-2004, 03:08 PM
Every Chevy owner will tell you, "I told you so." :D
Every Ford owner will say it's an anomaly.
Betcha won't buy a Ford again :eek:

Dave C
07-16-2004, 03:10 PM
BTW what motor did you have and tranny did you slay???
I just got me a E450 with a Triton V10?

mirvin
07-16-2004, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by Dave C
BTW what motor did you have and tranny did you slay???
I just got me a E450 with a Triton V10?
It's a 460 with an E4OD. In a 91 Bounder. THe original tranny lasted 80k which I"m told is pretty good. I just can't seem to catch a break with the rebuild....
MMD, I've always heard that for the motorhome setups that the Ford 460 was far superior to the 454. Usually the 454 reqires a rebuild around 50k due to overheating issues. I don't even think Chevy is in the RV market anymore??
mirvin

GlastronGuy
07-16-2004, 03:31 PM
Chevy still has motors in RVs.
I have a 460 with E4OD and the Banks exhaust in my MH.

Dave C
07-16-2004, 03:33 PM
thanks.
BTW, WTF do I have tranny wise? anyone?
I'm not a Ford guy. I worry!;)

mirvin
07-16-2004, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by GlastronGuy
Chevy still has motors in RVs.
I have a 460 with E4OD and the Banks exhaust in my MH.
That banks is a great setup. My dad put the whole powerpack on his rv. WOW. What a difference. I wish I had a spare 5 grand laying around;) I remember reading a story in motorhome magazine a few years back about chevy quitting the rv chassis business?? Maybe I was high;)
Dave C, I don't know about the E45O??? Must be the new tranny for the V10 eh?
mirvin

ahhell
07-16-2004, 04:28 PM
MY 1983 454 WITH TH400 IS STILL GOING STRONG...original engine and trans, service, service, service, when you got a reg-h/d trans haulin 20-30k pounds it gets tired quick.
minor tid-bit....most M/H fires are caused by tranny overheats and fluid spewings on said overheated tranny, insurance adjuster friend of mine said so.....;)

Flyinbowtie
07-16-2004, 04:40 PM
mirvin,
Tell the mechanics to check the fluid flow through the factory cooling tube in the radiator. Those radiator's are known to collapse the cooling pass throguh for the trans and shut the flow of fluid down to zero. This will burn up a brand new transmission in less than 10 minutes. Fluid temps go from room temp to in excess of 250 in that period of time.
If they aren't sharp enough to test the flow from the outlet port of the trans back to the inlet before installing a new trans after one has failed, the boys need to go back to school.
Dave.. no expert, but probably a 4R100..

AZKC
07-16-2004, 04:43 PM
Well from my FoMoCo dealership days. I'll tell ya we did a lot of E40D's and had a few come apart right away form the rebuilders. I hope their flushing out the trans cooler really well and not just slapin trannys in it:eek: Maybe the dealer will get it right for ya ;)

v-drive
07-16-2004, 05:37 PM
Well if it happened that quick There was a problem with that trans to begin with. I have owned Chevys alot more than I have ever owned Fords and I will never buy another Chevy. I have 80k on my F150 and outside of brakes and tires I have done nothing.
Someone is missing something with your motorhome. You need to research your serial number through Ford and see exactly what the build on it was.
Dave C. My boss owns the e450 in a 31 ' motor home and it's awesome. I use it every summer.
:D vdrive

Mrs Luvnlife
07-16-2004, 06:14 PM
Whadyasay ya get one of these......it'll pull anything :D, we went back & forth before we did the major $$ purchase and decided we wanted something that wouldn't be on fire on the side of the road :D and that would pretty much take care of things for the next couple of years..........go for it.....it's got a Cat and an Eaton :D.....hope we can meet up at BV for camping adventures here in the near future!! :D :)
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/11126_19_04-med.JPG

Dawn Patrol
07-16-2004, 06:23 PM
I went back & forth on what to buy, I ended up with a 40' Toy Hauler, fits my needs Great! Hauls all the Quads in the winter to Glamis, in the Summer we leave iit at Emerald Cove. :)
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/5989Pismo_Beach_7-4-03-med.jpg

77charger
07-16-2004, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by Mrs Luvnlife
Whadyasay ya get one of these......it'll pull anything :D, we went back & forth before we did the major $$ purchase and decided we wanted something that wouldn't be on fire on the side of the road :D and that would pretty much take care of things for the next couple of years..........go for it.....it's got a Cat and an Eaton :D.....hope we can meet up at BV for camping adventures here in the near future!! :D :)
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/11126_19_04-med.JPG those are bad ass my boss bought one(42 ftr) for haulin the race boat should have seen the looks when we pulled in for the njba opener.We were new the year before now it was big time.He told me our mechanic was driving it to bako and had no prob doing 75 up the grapevine and number 2 lane was common:)

JetBoatRich
07-16-2004, 06:45 PM
Show off:D it is one of the nicest rigs when we go camping;) we are not allowed inside :eek: j/k

WaTchTheGelCoat
07-16-2004, 06:48 PM
That thing is bad ass. It aint Bling Bling, it's Bling BLAUW

Mrs Luvnlife
07-16-2004, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by JetBoatRich
Show off:D it is one of the nicest rigs when we go camping;) we are not allowed inside :eek: j/k
Thanks:D......Rich, now you know you are always allowed inside.....have you not paid your fee to get in??? :confused: J/K.......you're ALL always welcome, just name your spot...we only sleep 6!!! :D ;) But can accommodate more!!! ;)

Kilrtoy
07-16-2004, 07:44 PM
Mrs,
That is one of the nicest, WAIT,
That is the nicest tow rig I have ever seen.....
W:eek: W

Mrs Luvnlife
07-16-2004, 07:50 PM
Why thank you! :D

Doug H.
07-16-2004, 08:51 PM
oh, whatever.......................................... ...........:D :D

Mrs Luvnlife
07-16-2004, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by Dawn Patrol
I went back & forth on what to buy, I ended up with a 40' Toy Hauler, fits my needs Great! Hauls all the Quads in the winter to Glamis, in the Summer we leave iit at Emerald Cove. :)
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/5989Pismo_Beach_7-4-03-med.jpg
Oh WOW!!!.......That's EXACTLY :D what I need to pull behind our rig.......VERY NICE!!! It's soooooooooo big!!! :D :D I bet it holds lots of 'Raider gear'!!;) We'll have to hunt you down if we ever get our jeep done to take to Glamis......we could have a few cold ones over some 'Raider' talk!! :D Enjoy!!

Bryan Rose
07-17-2004, 06:24 AM
Originally posted by mirvin
Now the RV is back at Don Kott Ford where I've had nothing but nightmares with in the past which is why I went to an independent shop in the firstplace.
Dang.
mirvin;)
What do you expect from a dealer Named "Don Knott" all it is missing is the "S" for it to a Barney Pfiffe tranny from Mayberry.
I would personally do some checking around for a big 5 th wheel and ditch the motor home, then when you get to the campsite you at least have some thing to drive ( tow Vehicle) for shopping and booze trips. Just a thought.
Bryan

mirvin
07-19-2004, 10:53 AM
Thanks for the responses everyone! I'm waiting to hear from Don Kott to see what they're gonna do.
Mrs. Luvnlife, that is a sweet rig. Where the hell would I even find one of those??
A couple of you mentioned checking the trans cooler and lines. After the 2nd explosion, the shop installed a new cooler and I "ASSUME" the replaced or at least cleared the lines????:confused:
Something hit me this weekend: It's got one of those Banks shifter modules. THe kind that holds each gear a little longer so it shifs at higher rpms. Could this unit be the culprit??
Thanks again:D
mirvin;)