PDA

View Full Version : Boatcop

Floored
07-16-2004, 05:49 PM
is it legal to ski using a rearview mirror in place of a spotter? like early am in a cove at the lake, wouldn't try it anywhere near parker, trying to get teens up to go skiing at 5:30 is impossible.:confused:

Havasu Hangin'
07-16-2004, 06:05 PM
Let's see if I'm right.
No.

572Daytona
07-16-2004, 06:08 PM
It's legal in Georgia

mickeyfinn
07-16-2004, 06:10 PM
Legal in Ga as long as you are talking about skiing behind a boat. PWC's must be three seaters with a spotter. I just asked DNR the question about 2 seater PWC's and mirrors a couple of days ago and was told NO WAY NO HOW!!!.......

Floored
07-16-2004, 06:13 PM
nope a boat. rode a 1200 kawi jetski once, Booorrrrrriiiiing!!!!!

Wet Dream
07-16-2004, 06:16 PM
Ca is a no no. AZ, I can't say, but my guess is NO.

77charger
07-16-2004, 06:17 PM
legal til boatcop sees you:D

Jordy
07-16-2004, 06:37 PM
Yep, everything is legal until you get caught. Think about it. :D

RiverOtter
07-16-2004, 06:38 PM
Legal in TN

Cheap Thrills
07-16-2004, 06:56 PM
Legal in NC.
C.T. :wink:

Dr. Eagle
07-16-2004, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by RiverOtter
Legal in TN
So's marrying a cousin...;)

Dr. Eagle
07-16-2004, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by Cheap Thrills
Legal in NC.
C.T. :wink:
See above...;)

HCS
07-17-2004, 08:38 AM
Originally posted by Floored
is it legal to ski using a rearview mirror in place of a spotter? like early am in a cove at the lake, wouldn't try it anywhere near parker, trying to get teens up to go skiing at 5:30 is impossible.:confused:
I just read this. That is funny.:D

Boatcop
07-17-2004, 11:09 AM
Almost all 50 States require an additional person as an observer while towing a skier.
Georgia ALSO requires a wide angle rear view mirror.
From the GA DNR info page:
Every boat towing a person(s) on water skis, or a similar device must have:
A person, in addition to the boat operator, capable of observing the towed person(s) at all times
A wide-angle rearview mirror mounted such that the operator can observe the towed person(s) at all times
Notice that it doesn't say "OR".
There's no law in Arizona that says you need a 3 person watercraft, only that the vessel must have an operator and an observer while towing a skier (or similar).
The observer must be "competant" and constantly observe the skier. This means that your two year old, poking the flag into the dead frog in the bilge doesn't count.

HCS
07-17-2004, 11:33 AM
You definitely don't want a dead frog in your bildge.
A perfect example why people can use some education.

RiverOtter
07-17-2004, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by Dr. Eagle
Oh... That hurt. I wasn't even here to defend her honor.:D

AZKC
07-17-2004, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by Boatcop
The observer must be "competant" and constantly observe the skier. This means that your two year old, poking the flag into the dead frog in the bilge doesn't count.
Oh Damn BoatCop made a funny:D :D

uvindex
07-17-2004, 12:35 PM
I'm glad Boatcop said, "almost" all 50 states require an observer, thus preserving his perfect streak at reciting boating laws correctly. :) Florida law has an "or" regarding the observer vs. mirror thing. Quoting from http://myfwc.com/boating/safety/law_summary.htm
The operator of a vessel towing someone on skis or another aquaplaning device must either have an observer, in addition to the operator, on board who is attendant to the actions of the skier or have and use a wide-angle rear view mirror.
(I personally think it would be foolish to try and observe a skiier in a mirror while trying to operate a boat at the same time!)
Happy boating.

HCS
07-17-2004, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by RatherBeInLHC
I'm glad Boatcop said, "almost" all 50 states require an observer, thus preserving his perfect streak at reciting boating laws correctly. :) Florida law has an "or" regarding the observer vs. mirror thing. Quoting from http://myfwc.com/boating/safety/law_summary.htm
The operator of a vessel towing someone on skis or another aquaplaning device must either have an observer, in addition to the operator, on board who is attendant to the actions of the skier or have and use a wide-angle rear view mirror.
(I personally think it would be foolish to try and observe a skiier in a mirror while trying to operate a boat at the same time!)
Happy boating.
I have to admit Iv'e done it once or twice. My best skiing buddy and I couldn't find an observer one time, so we went out with out one.
Not that it matters but it was on a week night. Around here if you
hit the water on the river on a week night you pretty much have
the water all to yourself. So we didn't have to worry about other
boats. But the thought crossed my mind, what if you get hurt?
It would be pretty hard for one guy to lug another into the boat.
Not a very smart thing to do. That was in my younger days.
:rolleyes:
One time when I was skiing I broke my jaw. I was knocked
unconscious. Dead mans float, face down in the water.
If it wasn't for the fact that there were four people in the boat,
I probably wouldn't be typing this right now.
Skiing with an observer isn't only the law, it's common sense.

mickeyfinn
07-17-2004, 01:21 PM
BOATCOP,
This is from the web site of Boat-ed. It is the official education site for georgia. Below is the quote from that site and notice there is an "or".
A person, in addition to the boat operator, capable of observing the towed person(s) at all times, or...
A wide-angle rearview mirror mounted such that the operator can observe the towed person(s) at all times.
Every PWC towing a person(s) on water skis, or a similar device must be rated by the manufacturer to carry three or more persons and must have onboard a person, in addition to the PWC operator, capable of observing the towed person(s) at all times.
I also stopped a DNR officer just earlier this week to confirm this since we are finally about to get the Hondo back on the water.
:D :D

572Daytona
07-17-2004, 01:21 PM
Alan, that is definitely a misprint. Here is another reference to that and notice it does have the "or" in there:
A person, in addition to the boat operator, capable of observing the towed person(s) at all times, or...
A wide-angle rearview mirror mounted such that the operator can observe the towed person(s) at all times.
That is from the Boat-ed coarse from GA: http://www.boat-ed.com/ga/course/p4-12_reqspectopwc.htm#TowingSkierSection
I also have a print copy of the regs and I'm sure it says or in there as well

HCS
07-17-2004, 01:29 PM
I don't know about that "or" thing. It wouldn't fly with any law enforcement
around here.:rolleyes:
You got me curious though.
I remember this subject on here once before.:idea:

572Daytona
07-17-2004, 01:35 PM
Here is a scan of the page from the book, or means you need one or the other. It also mentions that the mirror will not suffice for PWC as mentioned by mickeyfinn. This is a from the most recent copy of the regs as it was kindly given to me by one of our DNR reps as he was writing me up a citation for no baffles :D
http://home.alltel.net/jthieme/skiregs.gif

mickeyfinn
07-17-2004, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by Dr. Eagle
Might come as a shock to you but marrying a cousin is legal in about half the states in this country. Including California.
Here is a map of where you can and can't marry cousins.
http://www.cousincouples.com/info/usamap2.gif

RiverOtter
07-17-2004, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by mickeyfinn
Might come as a shock to you but marrying a cousin is legal in about half the states in this country. Including California.
So..... CA has inbred rednecks too???:D

mickeyfinn
07-17-2004, 01:53 PM
I'd be willing to bet they have more than most.....LOL

HCS
07-17-2004, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by mickeyfinn
Might come as a shock to you but marrying a cousin OR a freind of the same sex is legal in about half the states in this country. Including California.
What about that or thing.:D

Floored
07-17-2004, 01:55 PM
Boatcop, thanks for the reply. Georga seems alittle far to go just because my kids are arses. wife only ski's about a half mile and then we are done, so I'll find an alternate method. Everybody have a safe weekend and thanks for replies.