PDA

View Full Version : JC Pump Overhaul

dekmaster
07-19-2004, 09:51 AM
Hi,
This is what's going on. I can never spin my Olds 455 at WOT! Just before I get to the point when the throttle opens up the secondaries I already spinning 4800 RPM. I've heard alot of **"GREAT"** things about this engine at high RPMs so I don't even go there. I believe my pump is loose, that's why I'm spinning so many RPMs. From what I understand I should only be spinning about 4500 with a stock Olds. I've gone to CP-Performance website and they sell an overhaul kit for my pump. My question is do I need to buy all of the specialty tools to overhaul my pump. Also is my diagnosis correct about needing to overhaul and replace the impeller. By the way I visually inspected my impeller and it is indeed worn and nicked and dinged.
Thanks,
Dennis

dekmaster
07-19-2004, 12:29 PM
Can anyone offer some advice?

HotHallet
07-19-2004, 01:05 PM
Go see Jack McClure at Marine Performance Designs in Costa Mesa, CA and he will have that C pump freshened in a jiff. His # is 949-631-2040. He is the best jet guy in the business!

lucky
07-19-2004, 01:13 PM
FOR A BASIC REBUILD ITS A EASY DEAL - ABOUT THE ONLY SPECIALTY TOOL YA NEED IS A ARBOR PRESS AND 1-1/8 WRENCH ( I THINK THAT IS THE SIZE FROM MEMORY ) A BUTANE TORCH TO MELT RING OUT - BUT GET THE HARDIN BOOK FOR JET REBUILD IT IS YOUR FRIEND ....:D

miller19j
07-20-2004, 07:07 AM
I think that the wrench is a little bigger than that 1 13/16 comes to mind but I can’t say for certain.
But rebuilding is not all that hard. I did mine and many others on this board have done theirs. My suggestion would be to buy the book “Marine Jet Drive” By Selock it will walk you through every step (you can get it on Amazon). It is only about $20 and after reading it you will know if it is a task you want to attempt.

lucky
07-20-2004, 07:24 AM
YEA - i LOOKED AT MY MANUELS AND IT IS THE BOOK MILLER STATED ( IT HAS BEEN THIRTEEN YEARS SINCE MY LAST JET REBUILD ) BUT IT REALLY IS AN EASY DEAL ... OHH GETTIN CLOSE TO THE MILLER -D- DAY ---- RRRRR I MEAN B DAY !

dekmaster
07-20-2004, 08:58 AM
My questions is this:
I am I better off spending $400 on an overhaul / rebuild kit from CPPerformance or sending the pump up to Jack McClure at Marine Performance Designs in Costa Mesa, CA and having the rebuild it and blueprint it for $600. He said that they also work on my impeller in such a way that it comes out better than new.

superdave013
07-20-2004, 09:03 AM
that sounds like 200 bucks well spent.

Danhercules
07-20-2004, 09:04 AM
Is $200 worth knowing its done right? To me it is.

lucky
07-20-2004, 09:49 AM
KINDA LIKE WHEN YOU GOT YOUR FIRST PIECE - YOU GOT IT DONE , NOT KNOWING WHAT YOU WHERE DOING - BUT ON A REFLECTION - KNOWING NOW WHAT YOU DIDN'T THEN WOULD MAKE THE JOB ALOT MORE ENJOYABLE ..... :D PS - I DID MY OWN GEAR CHANGE ON MY C - 500 V DRIVE I TORE IT APART AND PUT IT TOGETHER ( USING A DIFFERNT STYLE GEAR) HAD IT CLOSE BUT IT WAS NOT RIGHT - SPENT THREE WEEKEND'S DOING IT - I KNOW NOW HOW IT WORKS AND CAN TEAR IT APART AND PUT IT TOGETHER - BUT I ENDED UP SENDING IT TO A PRO , CAUSE I DID NOT WANT TO BREAK SHIRT ... BOTTOM LINE - IT COST ME MONEY - BUT SAVED ME ALOT MORE .... :eek:

miller19j
07-20-2004, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by dekmaster
My questions is this:
I am I better off spending $400 on an overhaul / rebuild kit from CPPerformance or sending the pump up to Jack McClure at Marine Performance Designs in Costa Mesa, CA and having the rebuild it and blueprint it for $600. He said that they also work on my impeller in such a way that it comes out better than new. Personally I would never pay someone to rebuild my jet. I have all the tools needed to blueprint a jet and after doing mine and realizing how easy it is I just can’t justify paying someone to do it.
What you are paying for is labor, experience and convenience. But the way I look at it is a jet pump is a simple pump. It does not take a rocket scientist to rebuild and increase the efficiency of a jet pump.
Is it worth $200 for the convenience of someone else doing it? That is up to you.

dekmaster
07-20-2004, 03:06 PM
Don't get me wrong I love doing work myself that is why i started this thread. The guy the pump shop said that they machine alot of parts to very close parameters. Also he said that the way they machine the surfaces on the impeller it comes out for efficient that a brand new aluminum impeller.

miller19j
07-21-2004, 06:40 AM
Don’t get me wrong either. I am not against someone having the work done at a shop. This is the best bet for many people.
In my case I have a machine shop so I can do everything that a pump shop does and not have to pay them for it. Plus I enjoy doing things like that so it is part of the fun of owning a boat for me.
I was just giving you my opinion on the matter I didn’t mean to come across that way.