PDA

View Full Version : Sling launch in Newport

KACHINA KEN
07-19-2004, 11:47 AM
Does anyone have a # for a place that will sling launch in Newport? Or maybe somewhere else close by? Not the place with the crane, they want like 300 bucks for the service.
Thanks,
Kenny

SILVERWING
07-19-2004, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by KACHINA KEN
Does anyone have a # for a place that will sling launch in Newport? Or maybe somewhere else close by? Not the place with the crane, they want like 300 bucks for the service.
Thanks,
Kenny
KEN
GOING TO THE RIVER

KACHINA KEN
07-19-2004, 12:37 PM
bump

KACHINA KEN
07-19-2004, 12:50 PM
thanks man, I have a hard time believing there are no saltys around here that know more. My kachina is a Shadow 30 so I cant do Dana.........

Three Days Only
07-19-2004, 12:57 PM
Redondo, The Hoist. 50.00 round trip includes in and out, and he can take up to 30' My old boat was just over 30' LOA and they got it in no problem.
They are also open on Saturday's and Sundays which is nice.
Call 411 Redondo Beach, Ask for The Hoist.

Quality Time
07-19-2004, 01:06 PM
Just dip in the water and go rinse your trailer off before you head out and when you get back.

cigarette1
07-19-2004, 01:53 PM
Check in Newport Harbor for Basin Marine

KACHINA KEN
07-19-2004, 06:01 PM
Thanks for all the replys, really good leads, I am sorta going into this blind but i guess you gotta just jump into it right? I got rooms at the Catherine Hotel and we have activities lined up, I will launch in the AM on Thursday so i can get a mooring locked down for the weekend.
Am i forgetting anything?
Kenny

KACHINA KEN
07-19-2004, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by Three Days Only
Redondo, The Hoist. 50.00 round trip includes in and out, and he can take up to 30' My old boat was just over 30' LOA and they got it in no problem.
They are also open on Saturday's and Sundays which is nice.
Call 411 Redondo Beach, Ask for The Hoist.
Yeah I found the page, the lady told me to call back in the AM, looks like the hours are longer on Sunday.
Thanks,
Kenny

Raylar
07-19-2004, 06:19 PM
Ken:
There is a dry rack storage yard at Lido shipyard in Newport that has two Marina bull forklifts that can launch your boat. check with them,
Raylar:)

XtrmWakeborder
07-19-2004, 07:08 PM
why do yah sling launch?

Cs19
07-19-2004, 08:20 PM
Grab your ankles anywhere you go in newport. The guys at Basin are very cool, but Im not sure they have what you need. Lido does for sure, good luck.

Steamin' Rice
07-20-2004, 08:45 AM
Am i forgetting anything?
Kenny
Kenny,
Marine radio, GPS, cell phone, camera....
Hit The Marlin Club for a few drinks and entertainment from the bartenders. It's right up the street from the main pier in Avalon. You can also hit Luau Larry's for drinks..

beer hunter
07-20-2004, 09:16 AM
Here's a pic of the "sling launch" at Dana Point, T&B is correct in that they can only launch boats to 25' overall. KC Nelson over at LVHB.com has used the hoist at Redondo several times with his 28' Nordic Heat and has been very happy with the set-up. :)
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/22498-30-03_Catalina_Run_00025.jpg

beer hunter
07-20-2004, 09:20 AM
Originally posted by XtrmWakeborder
why do yah sling launch?
So you don't have to dip your non-galvanized trailer in salt water. :)

dicudmore
07-20-2004, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by beer hunter
Here's a pic of the "sling launch" at Dana Point, T&B is correct in that they can only launch boats to 25' overall. KC Nelson over at LVHB.com has used the hoist at Redondo several times with his 28' Nordic Heat and has been very happy with the set-up. :)
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/22498-30-03_Catalina_Run_00025.jpg
Hey I recognize that boat :D

kevnmcd
07-20-2004, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by dicudmore
Hey I recognize that boat :D
Me too! :D
KK - Your only option is Redondo Beach, as BH stated...Dana Point is 25' or less.

Three Days Only
07-20-2004, 01:44 PM
Redondo is really nice, heading to Catalina wont be bad, but heading back unless you leave first thing in the morning is going to suck big time on most afternoons. I would launch from Long Beach by the queen mary, get the trailer salty. Heading to Catalina from Long Beach you are in quartering seas there and back which makes for a much better ride. Once you go in once your going to go again, just put the trailer in the water rinse it off and in a number of years when it gets rusted up get a new one there not expensive compared to the boat. A trailer is just to transport your boat, and the fun you will have in the ocean will be well worth the ease of launching normally. Using a sling is a pain in the ass, your stuck to their hours and they ream you for their service.
Just my .02.
But if your going to sling Redondo is very good and easier then some of the others.
When are you going out. We might be heading out of long beach on Saturday morning.

cigarette1
07-20-2004, 01:54 PM
... just put the trailer in the water rinse it off and in a number of years when it gets rusted up get a new one there not expensive compared to the boat. A trailer is just to transport your boat, and the fun you will have in the ocean will be well worth the ease of launching normally. ...
;)

kevnmcd
07-20-2004, 02:33 PM
KK - Here is a website for the hoist at Redondo Beach. Check it out.
Redondo Beach Hoist (http://www.rbmarina.com/services.html#launch)

Three Days Only
07-21-2004, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by kevnmcd
KK - Here is a website for the hoist at Redondo Beach. Check it out.
Redondo Beach Hoist (http://www.rbmarina.com/services.html#launch)
Well that pretty much breaks it down to the point.
Anyone else going out on Saturday, and running in the Pacific???

cigarette1
07-21-2004, 11:30 AM
3DO,
I'll be out next week :rolleyes:
I've had a busy month:
This weekend, trip to Havasu w/o boat to ride on friends new 40' Skater
Last weekend, wife drug me to San Francisco to see relatives
Weekend before, boated to San Diego
Weekend before, 4th of July boating
Weekend before, Ski Race in LB
Next week, at the very least, running to LB from Newport
Have fun this weekend
:cool:

Three Days Only
07-21-2004, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by cigarette1
3DO,
I'll be out next week :rolleyes:
I've had a busy month:
This weekend, trip to Havasu w/o boat to ride on friends new 40' Skater
Last weekend, wife drug me to San Francisco to see relatives
Weekend before, boated to San Diego
Weekend before, 4th of July boating
Weekend before, Ski Race in LB
Next week, at the very least, running to LB from Newport
Have fun this weekend
:cool:
Your going to dig his Skater, That is the nicest boat I have ever seen come out of Skater yet. Absoulutely Beautiful, and from the looks of it on the water it ran real good too. Your buddy Mike is a really nice guy, he was like a kid standing outside of a closed candy store just waiting for his boat to roll into town.

KACHINA KEN
07-21-2004, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by Raylar
Ken:
There is a dry rack storage yard at Lido shipyard in Newport that has two Marina bull forklifts that can launch your boat. check with them,
Raylar:)
Thats where i am going, 8am thanks for the tip
Kenny

KACHINA KEN
07-21-2004, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by Steamin' Rice
Kenny,
Marine radio, GPS, cell phone, camera....
Hit The Marlin Club for a few drinks and entertainment from the bartenders. It's right up the street from the main pier in Avalon. You can also hit Luau Larry's for drinks..
Hey Greg,
I got lucky and found a wholesaler here in Scottsdale for the new Uniden Mystic GPS/VHF radio for 300 bucks! And yeah I got all that other stuff too. I will get my image center folder packed when I get home.
P.S. Thanks for all the advice,
Kenny

beer hunter
07-21-2004, 06:33 PM
Kenny
KACHINA KEN, what's the price on the Newport launch and can you post the phone # please. :)

KACHINA KEN
07-21-2004, 06:36 PM
Redondo is really nice, heading to Catalina wont be bad, but heading back unless you leave first thing in the morning is going to suck big time on most afternoons. I would launch from Long Beach by the queen mary, get the trailer salty. Heading to Catalina from Long Beach you are in quartering seas there and back which makes for a much better ride. Once you go in once your going to go again, just put the trailer in the water rinse it off and in a number of years when it gets rusted up get a new one there not expensive compared to the boat. A trailer is just to transport your boat, and the fun you will have in the ocean will be well worth the ease of launching normally. Using a sling is a pain in the ass, your stuck to their hours and they ream you for their service.
Just my .02.
But if your going to sling Redondo is very good and easier then some of the others.
When are you going out. We might be heading out of long beach on Saturday morning.
Yeah I wasn't to worried about the trailer itself, just the brakes and axles and acctuators. those are the parts you will have immediate probs with.
Thanks for the advice
Kenny

KACHINA KEN
07-21-2004, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by beer hunter
KACHINA KEN, what's the price on the Newport launch and can you post the phone # please. :)
Im going to Lido this time, but I think another guy said 40 to launch and 50 to retrieve.....
Kenny

No Regrets
07-21-2004, 07:09 PM
Any hoists in Long beach? -big enough for 30 ft plus drives and 2 ft swim step

No Regrets
07-21-2004, 07:12 PM
Hey Greg,
I got lucky and found a wholesaler here in Scottsdale for the new Uniden Mystic GPS/VHF radio for 300 bucks! And yeah I got all that other stuff too. I will get my image center folder packed when I get home.
P.S. Thanks for all the advice,
Kenny
I just picked one up. Dont buy the Blue Nav software-it wont work w/ any other upload maps.
PS-whe you figure out how to work it-Will you show me:confused:
Dont wait till your first trip to try & figure it out-read the book then esplain to me.

cigarette1
07-21-2004, 08:15 PM
Im going to Lido this time, but I think another guy said 40 to launch and 50 to retrieve.....
Kenny
Hold your horses .... Unless you signup for dry storage at the Lido Dryslip, I don't think they will touch your boat. Cost is roughly $18/ft on an annual contract and about $21/ft monthly. Once your boat resides at the dryslip, there is no charge for launches(charge for trailer load/unload). There's about an 80 boat waiting list.
D'oh
;)

cigarette1
07-21-2004, 08:17 PM
Yeah I wasn't to worried about the trailer itself, just the brakes and axles and acctuators. those are the parts you will have immediate probs with.
Thanks for the advice
Kenny
You can hookup a brake flush system for less than $100 .... if it makes you feel better, you can use salt-away.
G

No Regrets
07-22-2004, 08:39 AM
What is salt away? esplain.

beer hunter
07-22-2004, 08:43 AM
Originally posted by No Regrets
What is salt away? esplain.
Check here.........Salt Away (http://www.salt-away.com/) :)

No Regrets
07-22-2004, 08:51 AM
Thanks. How much do you usually use after launching or loading? I mean , how thoroughly do you normally hit the trailer?
Thanks again.
PS - Bestplace to get salt away?

Jrocket
07-22-2004, 11:46 AM
Kenny
Your way late?I just pasted you in Riverside on the 91 and it was way past 8?
Looked like a 30' dalmation chasing a car on the freeway until I put my beer down and took a better look!:D

Three Days Only
07-22-2004, 12:18 PM
Thanks. How much do you usually use after launching or loading? I mean , how thoroughly do you normally hit the trailer?
Thanks again.
Brian - West Marine, is the closest to you.
Flush your motors with Salt Away and just leave it in there, I then flush again once I get home. My trailer is aluminimum so I really dont worry about it except for flushing the brakes. just rinse it off real good and then go dunk it in a lake on your way home if your really worried about it. If you only put it in once in a while, you wont see anything for a couple of years, and even then it really wont be that bad. You will be doing it more and more once you go out once.
We are going out this saturday if your intrested. Unless your boat is in Havi.
If you really have questions and are concerned call me at 818-232-1195
Jeff
Jeff

beer hunter
07-22-2004, 12:23 PM
Thanks again.
I have a painted galvanized trailer, Extreme "Galva-Tube", so I don't really do anything more than wash it with soap and water after retrieving the boat.
For a non-galvanized trailer, I would thoroughly rinse the trailer (both inside the tubes and out) after launching and do the same after retrieving you boat. You can put a sprayer on the end of the Salt-Away dispenser so this should be pretty easy.
I would think that West Marine (http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/DisplayPageView?storeId=10001&langId=-1&catalogId=10001&page=StoreLocator&sect=home&sblid=h4) or Boat U.S. (http://www.geoserve.com/forms/BoatUS.htm) should have it. :)

Steamin' Rice
07-22-2004, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by Jrocket
...Looked like a 30' dalmation chasing a car on the freeway until I put my beer down and took a better look!:D
That's funny chit right there!! :D