PDA

View Full Version : Help with a Taylor

shootingstar72683
12-27-2005, 05:55 AM
Just purchased a 1979 18'Taylor SJD 455OLDS INDMAR, BERKLEY12J. I'm going to have alot of questions. Hope to get educated. Had 2 jets ,a1970 16'Tahiti455, 1976 21'Hawiian460Ford both Harding Marine. Both had I believe 12JC PUMPS WITH INSPECTION covers inside. This one has the inspection cover outside ,with a shield over the pump. Can I put a place deverter on it, how much$$? What,s better elec. or manuel? How much does this hull weigh, less engine. I want to paint it. Can I man-handle it? What is the best way to paint the bottom. How do I prep it ,what kind of paint do I use? What should I look for before I paint the bottom. It's not gouged or real deep scatches, but the paint and primer is worn away down to the brown glass. Is it a bad idea to remove the foam under the deck? The other 2 jets didn't have it. It's nice to have the storage, or shelter sometimes. Thanks ,hope ya'll can bare with me.

IMPATIENT 1
12-27-2005, 06:37 AM
PROUD TAYLOR OWNER HERE AS WELL! THERE ARE SEVERAL TAYLOR OWNERS HERE ON ***boat. I OWN A 78 TAYLOR SJ WITH BBF. IF YOU CHECK THE TAG ON TOP OF THE PUMP INSIDE THE BOAT IT'LL TELL YA THE MODEL NUMBER. SOUNDS LIKE YOU HAVE A 12JE LIKE MINE. I'VE DONE ALOT TO THE 12JE AND MY TAYLOR RUNS 85MPH CONSISTENTLY.LET ME KNOW I CAN HELP WITH THE INFO YOU NEED TO GET YOUR TAYLOR HAULIN ASS!! :)

shootingstar72683
12-27-2005, 07:43 AM
PROUD TAYLOR OWNER HERE AS WELL! THERE ARE SEVERAL TAYLOR OWNERS HERE ON ***boat. I OWN A 78 TAYLOR SJ WITH BBF. IF YOU CHECK THE TAG ON TOP OF THE PUMP INSIDE THE BOAT IT'LL TELL YA THE MODEL NUMBER. SOUNDS LIKE YOU HAVE A 12JE LIKE MINE. I'VE DONE ALOT TO THE 12JE AND MY TAYLOR RUNS 85MPH CONSISTENTLY.LET ME KNOW I CAN HELP WITH THE INFO YOU NEED TO GET YOUR TAYLOR HAULIN ASS!! :)
Great! Good to meet ya. Do any of these # make sence? BM#6578 Ser#7818676

Taylorman
12-27-2005, 07:56 AM
Can I put a place deverter on it, how much$$? .
Yes, about $700. Get the hydraulic place diverter for a JE pump, it will fit under the pump cover.
How much does this hull weigh, less engine.
700-900 lbs. You will not be able to man handle it. You will need a hoist on one end of the boat.
What is the best way to paint the bottom. How do I prep it ,what kind of paint do I use? What should I look for before I paint the bottom. It's not gouged or real deep scatches, but the paint and primer is worn away down to the brown glass.
Imron is a good paint, im not sure about the bottom though.
Is it a bad idea to remove the foam under the deck? The other 2 jets didn't have it. It's nice to have the storage, or shelter sometimes.
Personal choice. It will provide flotation in case you take on water. Your choice.

IMPATIENT 1
12-27-2005, 08:31 AM
Great! Good to meet ya. Do any of these # make sence? BM#6578 Ser#7818676
NOT TO ME. THERE SHOULD BE A 12JC OR 12JE ON THE TAG. I USED SINGLE STAGE URETHANE ON MY BOTTOM.SINGLE STAGE URETHANE SEEMS TO ADHERE BETTER TO ME. IF YA HAVE A TAYLOR SJ THEN YOU NEED A DIVERTOR!IT'S WORTH THE DOUGH!!!!!!!!I DID PULL OUT ALL THE FOAM IN MY TAYLOR(IT WAS WATER,OIL SOAKED AND WIEGHED A TON).MY FLOOR,BOW ARE BOTH HOLLOW.I REINFORCED THE BOW AND INSTALLED ADDITION STRINGER LENGTH UNDER THE FLOOR.THIS HELPED THE BOAT LOOSE ABOUT 200LBS OF DEAD WEIGHT.LET US KNOW THE PUMP AND WILL GET YA STARTED GOIN BROKE! :p

shootingstar72683
12-27-2005, 08:33 AM
Yes, about $700. Get the hydraulic place diverter for a JE pump, it will fit under the pump cover.
700-900 lbs. You will not be able to man handle it. You will need a hoist on one end of the boat.
So I pick-up one end,shoot the paint, then the other end?
Imron is a good paint, im not sure about the bottom though.
Sand it real smooth, prime it, then shoot how many coats of Imron? Do I use clear coat too?
Personal choice. It will provide flotation in case you take on water. Your choice. So it doesn't have anything to do with stengthning the deck? Is it good to let people walk across the deck?

IMPATIENT 1
12-27-2005, 08:42 AM
So it doesn't have anything to do with stengthning the deck? Is it good to let people walk across the deck?
DECIDE WHAT YOU WANT THE BOAT TO DO.AFTER MY KIDS GOT OLD ENOUGH TO HANG ON GOOD,I FIGURE IT WAS TIME TO TURN MY LAKE BOAT INTO A SLEEPER.DO YOU WANT IT SAFE OR FAST?LIGHTER IS FASTER!

IMPATIENT 1
12-27-2005, 08:43 AM
Oh Yeah, The Foam Supports The Deck, But A Little Glass Work Will Too!

shootingstar72683
12-27-2005, 09:04 AM
NOT TO ME. THERE SHOULD BE A 12JC OR 12JE ON THE TAG. I USED SINGLE STAGE URETHANE ON MY BOTTOM.SINGLE STAGE URETHANE SEEMS TO ADHERE BETTER TO ME. IF YA HAVE A TAYLOR SJ THEN YOU NEED A DIVERTOR!IT'S WORTH THE DOUGH!!!!!!!!I DID PULL OUT ALL THE FOAM IN MY TAYLOR(IT WAS WATER,OIL SOAKED AND WIEGHED A TON).MY FLOOR,BOW ARE BOTH HOLLOW.I REINFORCED THE BOW AND INSTALLED ADDITION STRINGER LENGTH UNDER THE FLOOR.THIS HELPED THE BOAT LOOSE ABOUT 200LBS OF DEAD WEIGHT.LET US KNOW THE PUMP AND WILL GET YA STARTED GOIN BROKE! :p
It's a 12JE. Did you paint the top deck with the same Urathane? Does this boat have a second hull? How do I get under the floor?

IMPATIENT 1
12-27-2005, 09:20 AM
It's a 12JE. Did you paint the top deck with the same Urathane? Does this boat have a second hull? How do I get under the floor?
I PAINTED THE TOP WITH BASE COAT,CLEAR COAT. IF THE FLOOR IS ROTTEN IT'LL HAVE TO BE CUT OUT AND REBUILT.THE FLOOR IS JUST A PIECE OF PLYBOARD THAT HAS BEEN GLASSED OVER.EASY TO DO,EVEN FOR BEGINNER.I'LL GIVE YOU A LIST OF MY PUMP UPGRADES AND WHAT THEY DONE FOR MY SJ.
PLACE DIVERTER BRAND -THIS GAVE ME TRIM ADJUSTMENT AND ALOT BETTER RIDE! GAVE ME @6-8MPH MORE TOP END.OH AND THE ROOSTERTAIL IS SWEET!!!!!
HI TECH SHOE AND RIDE PLATE KIT- A MUST ON A TAYLOR WITH A 12JE,THIS IS THE MOD I NOTICED THE MOST. IT MADE MY SJ PLANE OUT IN HALF THE TIME AS BEFORE,I NOW CAN GO THREW BIG WAKES WITHOUT A THOUGHT.THIS GAVE ME @ ANOTHER 8MPH ON TOP END AND AT 80MPH IT MADE MY SJ RIDE "ON GLASS OR RAILS".
HARDINE MARINE SS LOADER- I WAS HAVING CAVITATION PROBS AT 70MPH AND THE LOADER FED THE PUMP BETTER AND SOLVED THAT PROBLEM.GAVE ME @3-4MPH I THINK.NOT ALOT OF NOTICABLE DIFFERENCE,BUT MY PUMP IS STAYIN LOADED WITH H2O NOW!
I SPENT @1100.00 ON THE UPGRADES FOR A TOTAL OF @ 20MPH MORE TOP END.THE 12JE PUMP JUST CAN'T GET ENOUGH WATER UNTILL YA DO THE MODS.

shootingstar72683
12-27-2005, 09:30 AM
DECIDE WHAT YOU WANT THE BOAT TO DO.AFTER MY KIDS GOT OLD ENOUGH TO HANG ON GOOD,I FIGURE IT WAS TIME TO TURN MY LAKE BOAT INTO A SLEEPER.DO YOU WANT IT SAFE OR FAST?LIGHTER IS FASTER!
I want it to run alot better than it does now. This boat is nasty, not at all cared for. I'm going to learn how to put pics on here as I restore this boat. Right now it's 3 tone.Green/Rose-red/Silver!! I mean YUUCK!!! The motor is just as nasty to match the hull,leaking oil,water,& exhaust tapping leak. It came with a Webber4bbl. It ran 48mph@4200rpm. Bought a new dual-feed Holly750. It seemed to come out the hole a little better,ran 50,maybe51mph@4400rpm. Embarassing,this thing is slow. I sure would like to dial in 65-70mph.

IMPATIENT 1
12-27-2005, 09:37 AM
I want it to run alot better than it does now. This boat is nasty, not at all cared for. I'm going to learn how to put pics on here as I restore this boat. Right now it's 3 tone.Green/Rose-red/Silver!! I mean YUUCK!!! The motor is just as nasty to match the hull,leaking oil,water,& exhaust tapping leak. It came with a Webber4bbl. It ran 48mph@4200rpm. Bought a new dual-feed Holly750. It seemed to come out the hole a little better,ran 50,maybe51mph@4400rpm. Embarassing,this thing is slow. I sure would like to dial in 65-70mph.
65-70MPH WILL NOT BE A PROBLEM!!YOUR BOAT IS CAPABLE OF LOW 80'S IF YA GET IT SETUP RITE.PM ME IF YA NEED MORE INFO,I'LL GIVE YA MY HOME NUMBER. WHEN I STARTED ON MY TAYLOR, THE GUYS HERE ON ***boat HELPED ALOT!!!NOW IT'S TIME I HELPED OUT A FELLA.

taylormanss
12-27-2005, 09:37 AM
Get rid of that anchor and buy a real jetboat.

IMPATIENT 1
12-27-2005, 09:38 AM
Where Ya From Shootin Star?

shootingstar72683
12-27-2005, 09:43 AM
Oh Yeah, The Foam Supports The Deck, But A Little Glass Work Will Too!
Is your deverter hydrolic,manual, or electric? Is electric and hydrolic the same?? Do you allow people to walk on the deck ,or lie on it? i don't let people walk across the hood of my car' and I felt the same about the deck. Wont it stress-crack it, or am I over protecting it?

shootingstar72683
12-27-2005, 09:53 AM
Where Ya From Shootin Star?
I'm from New Orleans. I'm now in Newton Co.Ark. In the Ozark mtns.south of Harrison,Ark. I play in Bull Shoals lake, Beaver lake, once in Table Rock in Branson, Mo., but I didn't like the traffic,and the water patrols pick on jet boats when ya not even moving. Where ya at?

shootingstar72683
12-27-2005, 09:58 AM
Get rid of that anchor and buy a real jetboat.
Such as?? I'm really disappointed in this boats performance, but I do like the way it looks. Like a surf board with a bbl. Sure wish it were chev powered isead of olds

Taylorman
12-27-2005, 10:01 AM
Such as?? I'm really disappointed in this boats performance, but I do like the way it looks. Like a surf board with a bbl. Sure wish it were chev powered isead of olds
Easy fella, my SJ with an Olds is knocking on 70 mph.

taylormanss
12-27-2005, 10:15 AM
I just messing with ya,I sure wish I still had my taylor,and I'm probably gonna buy another one!

IMPATIENT 1
12-27-2005, 11:06 AM
Is your deverter hydrolic,manual, or electric? Is electric and hydrolic the same?? Do you allow people to walk on the deck ,or lie on it? i don't let people walk across the hood of my car' and I felt the same about the deck. Wont it stress-crack it, or am I over protecting it?
I LIVE IN HUGO,OKLA. @ 70MILES FROM THE BORDER WITH ARK..
NOONE WALKS ON MY BOW NOW!!!I'M SURE NOTHING WOULD HAPPEN , BUT I SPENT LAST SPRING REPAINTING AND GOING TO SPEND THIS SPRING FINISHING IT.
STRESS CRACKS HAPPEN.THE NICEST BOATS IN THE NATION HAVE CRACKS SOMEWHERE.MAYBE YOU CAN MAKE THE TAYLOR JET BOAT MEET AT BROKEN BOW LAKE THIS SEASON.IT'S NOT TO FAR FROM YA.LOTS OF DRAGBOATS THERE!ALOT OF GOOD PEOPLE TOO.

IMPATIENT 1
12-27-2005, 11:08 AM
EVEN WITH THE OLDS,IT'S CAPABLE OF 70'S.T-MAN HAS ONE THAT HAULS ASS.

shootingstar72683
12-27-2005, 01:18 PM
I just messing with ya,I sure wish I still had my taylor,and I'm probably gonna buy another one!
Ya GOT me :) I really didn't mean to knock any motor combination. I fooled with Chevy since the early 60's in hot rods and muscle cars. Just seems like it's cheeper to get the parts to make a chevy go fast. If I can get this Olds to get into the 70's were jet skies and bass boats don't blow me away I'll be happy. I don't have the money to be FAST, just want to be respected and left alone. kinda wanna be real pretty,look real fast, even on the trailer. :rollside:

shootingstar72683
12-27-2005, 01:27 PM
I LIVE IN HUGO,OKLA. @ 70MILES FROM THE BORDER WITH ARK..
NOONE WALKS ON MY BOW NOW!!!I'M SURE NOTHING WOULD HAPPEN , BUT I SPENT LAST SPRING REPAINTING AND GOING TO SPEND THIS SPRING FINISHING IT.
STRESS CRACKS HAPPEN.THE NICEST BOATS IN THE NATION HAVE CRACKS SOMEWHERE.MAYBE YOU CAN MAKE THE TAYLOR JET BOAT MEET AT BROKEN BOW LAKE THIS SEASON.IT'S NOT TO FAR FROM YA.LOTS OF DRAGBOATS THERE!ALOT OF GOOD PEOPLE TOO.
Sure sounds like fun. If I can ever get this skiff to look decient enough to come bum with ya'll I'll surely take ya up on it. What size is your 78Taylor. Have any pictures of it?

shootingstar72683
12-27-2005, 01:32 PM
Easy fella, my SJ with an Olds is knocking on 70 mph.
I bid on a real pretty blue with white trim Taylor located in Lafayette back in Aug I think. Did you by any chance know the boat?

IMPATIENT 1
12-27-2005, 01:42 PM
Sure sounds like fun. If I can ever get this skiff to look decient enough to come bum with ya'll I'll surely take ya up on it. What size is your 78Taylor. Have any pictures of it?
18ft. don't worry @ how it looks,the only thing around here that matters is how it runs! there's boats around here that look like dog shit and run like hell.i raced a boat couple yrs back at broken bow lake that had "may day" wrote with duct tape across the transom. dookie brown with car headers pointing to the sky with a small block 400.we line up,i launched real hard,look over to see how far out frt. i am,dude starts pullin on me! so i had to hit the bottle on em.s.o.b. had a damn 400sbc with 300hp shot!beat em by 1/2 boat,but barely!
looks don't mean anything!

shootingstar72683
12-27-2005, 01:54 PM
65-70MPH WILL NOT BE A PROBLEM!!YOUR BOAT IS CAPABLE OF LOW 80'S IF YA GET IT SETUP RITE.PM ME IF YA NEED MORE INFO,I'LL GIVE YA MY HOME NUMBER. WHEN I STARTED ON MY TAYLOR, THE GUYS HERE ON ***boat HELPED ALOT!!!NOW IT'S TIME I HELPED OUT A FELLA.
I sure would appreciate the help. If you have a cingular cell we can talk free. My HM#870-434-5170 CELL870-704-9960 Gary Bergeron

IMPATIENT 1
12-27-2005, 01:59 PM
I sure would appreciate the help. If you have a cingular cell we can talk free. My HM#870-434-5170 CELL870-704-9960 Gary Bergeron
gary, it's nice to meet ya.i do have cingular. i'll call ya after work @6 ish.

shootingstar72683
12-27-2005, 02:05 PM
18ft. don't worry @ how it looks,the only thing around here that matters is how it runs! there's boats around here that look like dog shit and run like hell.i raced a boat couple yrs back at broken bow lake that had "may day" wrote with duct tape across the transom. dookie brown with car headers pointing to the sky with a small block 400.we line up,i launched real hard,look over to see how far out frt. i am,dude starts pullin on me! so i had to hit the bottle on em.s.o.b. had a damn 400sbc with 300hp shot!beat em by 1/2 boat,but barely!
looks don't mean anything!
Now I see why you're so fast your boats on dope. Do you have alot of changes, heads valves, etc. to inject NOS.?

IMPATIENT 1
12-27-2005, 02:40 PM
Now I see why you're so fast your boats on dope. Do you have alot of changes, heads valves, etc. to inject NOS.?
I'LL CALL YA, SOME QUESTIONS ARE JUST TO PERSONAL,LOL.IF IT'S A HEALTHY LOW COMPRESSION MOTOR,THEN IT SHOULD BE ABLE TO HOLD A 150HP SHOT.I RAN THIS WAY TILL LAST YR.. TORE IT DOWN, WASN'T HURT A BIT.ANYTHING MORE THAN 150HP SHOT NEEDS FORGED PISTONS,GOOD VALVES( STAINLESS),H-BEAM RODS.

shootingstar72683
12-27-2005, 02:41 PM
gary, it's nice to meet ya.i do have cingular. i'll call ya after work @6 ish.
I'll be here. Looking forward to talking to ya. I can talk alot faster than type.

shootingstar72683
12-27-2005, 02:43 PM
I'LL CALL YA, SOME QUESTIONS ARE JUST TO PERSONAL,LOL.IF IT'S A HEALTHY LOW COMPRESSION MOTOR,THEN IT SHOULD BE ABLE TO HOLD A 150HP SHOT.I RAN THIS WAY TILL LAST YR.. TORE IT DOWN, WASN'T HURT A BIT.ANYTHING MORE THAN 150HP SHOT NEEDS FORGED PISTONS,GOOD VALVES( STAINLESS),H-BEAM RODS.
I figured if ya wanna play ya gotta pay.

IMPATIENT 1
12-27-2005, 02:48 PM
i emailed ya some pics,from this summer.

SmokinLowriderSS
12-27-2005, 02:59 PM
In my avatar is Lowrider, the '78 SS my father bought off the showroom floor in Enid Ok. All the Taylors run either an E or F pump (and E with factory diverter) as far as I know. Was a simpler install because the hull mold gets a plug put in it and you just pop them out ready to bolt the pumps in. The intake angle is a bit steeper making a good loader more important. Mine was worked over & tuned by DuaneHTP back in winter 78/79 a grate-loader put in, and a 75HP Marvin Miller nitrous plate setup put on the 330 HP spec'd 454. She radar'd 72 according to dad back then flying solo, and he's not much for exagerations. She has the "F" pump, bronze will be the impeller this spring tho ... not gonna throw her new HP at Aluminum/Tenzaloy.
Currently she ran GPS'd 58 @ 4600 last spring on the rebuilt & modded 454 (cam from HTP & Edelbrock manifold) and a pro-loader from HTP while still breaking the motor in (about 8 hrs) and carrying an adult passenger. Was running about 64 @4800 by end of summer without the nitrous, aprox 350HP with my wife along, and beer cooler. This spring, she will be hiding Lightning headers under her hood and a NOS Sniper adjustable 100-150HP nitrous setup. Should pull right near 400HP dry. Next winter, head porting, should be nearly 500HP hidden away, ready to pounce on suckers. :220v: She will be upside down soon to clean the hull up & re-gell it smooth, lotsa unknowns have kissed her over the years on the bottom.
Come to Broken Bow (or wherever gets planned), I plan on being there. :)
I walk on my deck every time I raft up someplace to tie up or anchor, haven't cracked a thing yet.
The diverter helps both on the top end to "fly" more fibreglass dry (out of the water) to reduce drag and it seemed to work for us set down on holeshot. Lowrider just hurls herself onto plane flat and leaves without doing the nose-high "climb" to the top of the water.
The olds can be made to run very strong, Taylorman has one. It IS cheaper and easier to do it with a BBChevy, no oil system mods to worry about, but it's NEVER cheap to go fast (unless you don't want to go fast very long).

IMPATIENT 1
12-27-2005, 03:24 PM
In my avatar is Lowrider, the '78 SS my father bought off the showroom floor in Enid Ok. All the Taylors run either an E or F pump (and E with factory diverter) as far as I know. Was a simpler install because the hull mold gets a plug put in it and you just pop them out ready to bolt the pumps in. The intake angle is a bit steeper making a good loader more important. Mine was worked over & tuned by DuaneHTP back in winter 78/79 a grate-loader put in, and a 75HP Marvin Miller nitrous plate setup put on the 330 HP spec'd 454. She radar'd 72 according to dad back then flying solo, and he's not much for exagerations. She has the "F" pump, bronze will be the impeller this spring tho ... not gonna throw her new HP at Aluminum/Tenzaloy.
Currently she ran GPS'd 58 @ 4600 last spring on the rebuilt & modded 454 (cam from HTP & Edelbrock manifold) and a pro-loader from HTP while still breaking the motor in (about 8 hrs) and carrying an adult passenger. Was running about 64 @4800 by end of summer without the nitrous, aprox 350HP with my wife along, and beer cooler. This spring, she will be hiding Lightning headers under her hood and a NOS Sniper adjustable 100-150HP nitrous setup. Should pull right near 400HP dry. Next winter, head porting, should be nearly 500HP hidden away, ready to pounce on suckers. :220v: She will be upside down soon to clean the hull up & re-gell it smooth, lotsa unknowns have kissed her over the years on the bottom.
I walk on my deck every time I raft up someplace to tie up or anchor, haven't cracked a thing yet.
The diverter helps both on the top end to "fly" more fibreglass dry (out of the water) to reduce drag and it seemed to work for us set down on holeshot. Lowrider just hurls herself onto plane flat and leaves without doing the nose-high "climb" to the top of the water.
The olds can be made to run very strong, Taylorman has one. It IS cheaper and easier to do it with a BBChevy, no oil system mods to worry about, but it's NEVER cheap to go fast (unless you don't want to go fast very long).
man i think its cool ya have your dad's old boat!my dad had ajet,don't remember the brand(cp i think),named mr.impatient.he sold it rite before he passed away and i would give my frt. teeth to get it back!
i think everyone that owns a taylor becomes a fan of all the taylor types(sj,sc,ss or etc.).they ride so good,i've rode in alot of jets,none touch it in ride.i've owned a 21ft taylor,2 sj's.i traded the 21ftr for my current sj.the guy i traded is paralyzed and wanted a softer ride. i'm gettn older now(turn 30 thurs.)and i wish i kept it.i'm not sellin anymore of my taylors!maybe i'll start collecting em. :idea:

shootingstar72683
12-27-2005, 04:34 PM
The olds can be made to run very strong, Taylorman has one. It IS cheaper and easier to do it with a BBChevy, no oil system mods to worry about, but it's NEVER cheap to go fast (unless you don't want to go fast very long).Thanks for the info. Duane is the man to get with fer sure. You said the JE came with the deverter? Mine doesn't have it, I must have read it wrong. It must be a F instead of E

Gearhead
12-27-2005, 05:14 PM
Smokin... By chance were you at Broken Bow on July 4th or Labor Day weekends of '05?

taylormanss
12-27-2005, 07:21 PM
are ya sure all taylors had an e or f pump ? I've seen a few of the earlier ones with a jc.

taylormanss
12-27-2005, 07:23 PM
man i think its cool ya have your dad's old boat!my dad had ajet,don't remember the brand(cp i think),named mr.impatient.he sold it rite before he passed away and i would give my frt. teeth to get it back!
i think everyone that owns a taylor becomes a fan of all the taylor types(sj,sc,ss or etc.).they ride so good,i've rode in alot of jets,none touch it in ride.i've owned a 21ft taylor,2 sj's.i traded the 21ftr for my current sj.the guy i traded is paralyzed and wanted a softer ride. i'm gettn older now(turn 30 thurs.)and i wish i kept it.i'm not sellin anymore of my taylors!maybe i'll start collecting em. :idea:
see if ya can find me a sj or a ssd

shootingstar72683
12-28-2005, 03:36 AM
see if ya can find me a sj or a ssd
Does anyone have pictures of the different types of Taylors?

IMPATIENT 1
12-28-2005, 06:44 AM
Does anyone have pictures of the different types of Taylors?
i'll email ya a pic of my sc taylor,it's ugly as hell!but that thing rode on a cloud. :cry:

Taylorman
12-28-2005, 07:09 AM
are ya sure all taylors had an e or f pump ? I've seen a few of the earlier ones with a jc.
Oldbucks Taylor has a Jaccuzi pump in it.

taylormanss
12-28-2005, 12:07 PM
Oh Really!

SmokinLowriderSS
12-28-2005, 12:31 PM
The "E" pump was straight, the "F" has the factory diverter.
I am not entirtely certain if ALL the Taylor's (especially older ones) came with the insert Berk (E or F) I am pretty certain all the later ones did. I have been unable to find a "release history" dating the berk drives development. I'm sure, just like everything else, prices made demands just as customers did.
I was at Broken Bow the last weekend of June, but was unable to get together with any of the Taylor Owner's Club any other trips. I stayed dry and home 4July and Labor Day weekend was spent sipping suds while anchored on ElDorado Lake near home. Damn the $3.50/gal unleaded. We only had tube riders a while Sat afternoon. I was on Texoma the last weekend of July with friends from the BABC board (Boating ABC's) for the 2nd year running.
Tons of Taylor's right here, SS's, SJ's, SD's, SSD's, LP's, I think we have at least 1 of everything: The Taylor Boats Roost message board, home of the Taylor Owner's Club.
http://p208.ezboard.com/bthetaylorboatsroost52059
Check out the Member's rides section as well as the History section. We even caught up with Roger Taylor himself. :)

shootingstar72683
12-28-2005, 03:33 PM
i'll email ya a pic of my sc taylor,it's ugly as hell!but that thing rode on a cloud. :cry:
You said that 92 was the last, what's the first year? Are all the bottoms basicly the same on all Taylors, a deep V?

shootingstar72683
12-28-2005, 03:36 PM
I am not entirtely certain if ALL the Taylor's (especially older ones) came with the insert Berk (E or F) I am pretty certain all the later ones did. I have been unable to find a "release history" dating the berk drives development. I'm sure, just like everything else, prices made demands just as customers did.
I was at Broken Bow the last weekend of June, but was unable to get together with any of the Taylor Owner's Club any other trips. I stayed dry and home 4July and Labor Day weekend was spent sipping suds while anchored on ElDorado Lake near home. Damn the $3.50/gal unleaded. We only had tube riders a while Sat afternoon. I was on Texoma the last weekend of July with friends from the BABC board (Boating ABC's) for the 2nd year running.
Tons of Taylor's right here, SS's, SJ's, SD's, SSD's, LP's, I think we have at least 1 of everything: The Taylor Boats Roost message board, home of the Taylor Owner's Club.
Check out the Member's rides section as well as the History section. We even caught up with Roger Taylor himself. :)
Tanks for the web page, I'm going to go over there right now fer a short.

Klass Klown
12-28-2005, 05:30 PM
I had an old Hondo Tdeck jet boat which my father as well purchased new. After several pump mods. I was out killin the local T deck runner bottom flats in or around central Virginaia back in the 90's. This boat with a destroked 498 BBC would run 96 m.p.h all day long and quick..

taylormanss
12-28-2005, 05:54 PM
there's gonna be a get together on texoma on memorial day weekend,go over to texas***boats.com . there's gonna be a few jets from texas and a few from a jetboat club out of OKC.

IMPATIENT 1
12-29-2005, 06:20 AM
You said that 92 was the last, what's the first year? Are all the bottoms basicly the same on all Taylors, a deep V?
I'M REALLY NOT SURE WHAT YR THEY QUIT MAKIN THE TAYLOR BOATS. SOMEONE ON THE TAYLOR EZBOARD SITE CAN ANSWER THAT ONE BETTER FOR YA GARY. I KNOW A 78 SS AND A 78 SJ HAVE THE SAME BOTTOMS ,JUST DIFFERENT TOPS. INTERIOR ON MOST TAYLORS ARE BASICALLT THE SAME DESIGN TOO.
GARY, YOU GET A CHANCE TO LOOK AT YOUR IMPELLOR?HOW'D IT LOOK?

Duane HTP
12-29-2005, 06:57 AM
Some of the early boats came with WJ Jacizzi's, but Oscar Taylor usually always used E Series pumps ( or F), in his boats. They were much cheaper, (E Series Pump = Economy Series Pump ), because they cost a lot less and gave more room inside the boat. But, I special ordered several with the JC or JG pumps. So there are some out there with just about every kind of pump.
E & F pumps were the factory run of the mill deal. The Snoot was originally designed for the Taylor boats. It is what we ended up with to take the porpoise out of the ones that had that problem. It works. Finding out that it made them and a lot of the other boats go faster was just an accidential plus.

shootingstar72683
12-29-2005, 11:38 AM
I'M REALLY NOT SURE WHAT YR THEY QUIT MAKIN THE TAYLOR BOATS. SOMEONE ON THE TAYLOR EZBOARD SITE CAN ANSWER THAT ONE BETTER FOR YA GARY. I KNOW A 78 SS AND A 78 SJ HAVE THE SAME BOTTOMS ,JUST DIFFERENT TOPS. INTERIOR ON MOST TAYLORS ARE BASICALLT THE SAME DESIGN TOO.
GARY, YOU GET A CHANCE TO LOOK AT YOUR IMPELLOR?HOW'D IT LOOK?
I'm going to pull the cover off today. The wind has been blowin on top the mtn.,not hav'n a garage-shop anymore is rough at my age. Does this hook-up have u-joints connected to the flywheel like the 12jc pumps? The only way to feel for play is through the inspection cover? Is the impella the only place the jet can be losing speed?

shootingstar72683
12-29-2005, 11:42 AM
Some of the early boats came with WJ Jacizzi's, but Oscar Taylor usually always used E Series pumps ( or F), in his boats. They were much cheaper, (E Series Pump = Economy Series Pump ), because they cost a lot less and gave more room inside the boat. But, I special ordered several with the JC or JG pumps. So there are some out there with just about every kind of pump.
E & F pumps were the factory run of the mill deal. The Snoot was originally designed for the Taylor boats. It is what we ended up with to take the porpoise out of the ones that had that problem. It works. Finding out that it made them and a lot of the other boats go faster was just an accidential plus.
Is there a basic rebuild kit I should start with before I start adding the deverter,loader,shoe-plate?

IMPATIENT 1
12-29-2005, 12:19 PM
I'm going to pull the cover off today. The wind has been blowin on top the mtn.,not hav'n a garage-shop anymore is rough at my age. Does this hook-up have u-joints connected to the flywheel like the 12jc pumps? The only way to feel for play is through the inspection cover? Is the impella the only place the jet can be losing speed?
SINCE YOU HAVE A 12JE ,YOU CAN'T REALLY TURN THE PUMP TO GET A FELL ON IT.THE CONNECTION BETWEEN THE PUMP AND CRANK DOES NOT COMPRESS DOWN TO SLIDE OFF OF THE PUMP SPLINES.YA HAVE TO SLIDE ENTIRE MOTOR FORWARD. THIS IS ONE OF THE DOWNFALLS OF THE EPUMPS 3 POINT SETUP.THE DRIVE LINE IS BOLTED TO YOUR CRANK AND SLIDES ONTO THE PUMP DURIN INSTALL. THERE'S ALOT OF THINGS THAT CAN MAKE A BOAT SLOW.

SmokinLowriderSS
12-29-2005, 01:01 PM
The pump is hellishly simple. If you unbolt the cables, and take tyhe bolts off from arround the bowl, and yank, the whole end comes off in your hands. There SHOULD be oil drain out from the tail-bearing once the bowl is off the shaft as the shaft is no longer in the lip-seal. have a BFW (really large wrench) available and the impeller nut comes off (a nylock) On mine, a couple stout yanks and the impeller comes off but is on about a 3" woodruf key. Some folks have to use a puller to get it off. Then you can REALLY look the impeller over. The shaft comes out the front so the engine MUST be moved. In my SS, the engine will go far enough to 1 side to slide the thrust bearing out JUST past the oil pan. Don't ever let a thrust bearing go bad on you, the impeller and shaft move fwd and eat parts up, generally suction housing and engine trhrust bearing/crankshaft/block. The pump should run smoothly, vibration and noise free. A small "rattle" at idle from the splined shaft in the coupler is normal and not cause for alarm, althouth, if mine rattles, I have never been able to hear it.
AS said, lots of things will slow ANY boat down, a jet too.
Rough hull at the rear
Ride not bow-high so dragging a lot of hull in the water
excessive gap between the impeller front ring and the wear ring which seals the low pressure side (front) of the impeller from the high pressure side (rear). Extra gap reduces the pump's ability to generate pressure as water backwashes arround the impeller to be pumped again, and again.
too small of a nozzle opening
too large of a nozzle opening
motor unable to spin impeller very fast (weak motor or too big an impeller). For example, same motor, Say, A-imp and 60 MPH, AA imp and 50MPH but better mileage from lower RPM but not using all the motor's power available.
Cavitation (air bubbles forming in the pump) from rough impeller, intake imperfections, poor pump loading at higher speeds, being airborne, etc.
I'm probably missing a few things, (like the passenger, the skiier, 2nd beer cooler and the 2 anchors) but that should be a good general starting list FYI.
Best speed (as with any boat) is in the setup entire package, engine/drive/hull/ride position/weight

SmokinLowriderSS
12-29-2005, 01:17 PM
Is there a basic rebuild kit I should start with before I start adding the deverter,loader,shoe-plate?
IMO, it would be best to at least open the pump up and give it a thorough inspection to see just how "tight" it is before trying to chase speed. DuaneHTP at http://hi-techperformance.com/ sells a rebuid kit for a good price, has all the parts, sans impeller. You SHOULDN"T need one of those (impeller) unless yours has been eating rocks & sand. Rocks chew the blade edges up, sand eats up the gap between the wear ring & impeller. IMO, Duane makes the best wear ring too, "Ultimate Wear Ring", polyurethane. Easy to install, lasts a VERY long time (mine is 15 yrs old, near 200 hrs), is somewhat "self-healing" from minor sand damage, I like it, especially for a lake boat. The impeller blades knife edges can get curled slightly from wear (very sharp edges) and should be filed flat, get advice here, only file 1 side. The curl (burr) that forms causes cavitation eventually.
Once you have a known tight pump, I reccomend a diverter and ride plate as #1/1A mods. The diverter changes the whole boat's personality and expands it's abilities a great deal. The ride plate lets you set the attitude of the hull at full speed with the diverter up to not get a porpose going (too bow-high) yet not drag too much (bow low). I put shoes and other mods 3rd and down, finer tuning after trhe diverter & rideplate are on & adjusted.

shootingstar72683
12-29-2005, 03:31 PM
IMO, it would be best to at least open the pump up and give it a thorough inspection to see just how "tight" it is before trying to chase speed. DuaneHTP at http://hi-techperformance.com/ sells a rebuid kit for a good price, has all the parts, sans impeller. You SHOULDN"T need one of those (impeller) unless yours has been eating rocks & sand. Rocks chew the blade edges up, sand eats up the gap between the wear ring & impeller. IMO, Duane makes the best wear ring too, "Ultimate Wear Ring", polyurethane. Easy to install, lasts a VERY long time (mine is 15 yrs old, near 200 hrs), is somewhat "self-healing" from minor sand damage, I like it, especially for a lake boat. The impeller blades knife edges can get curled slightly from wear (very sharp edges) and should be filed flat, get advice here, only file 1 side. The curl (burr) that forms causes cavitation eventually.
Once you have a known tight pump, I reccomend a diverter and ride plate as #1/1A mods. The diverter changes the whole boat's personality and expands it's abilities a great deal. The ride plate lets you set the attitude of the hull at full speed with the diverter up to not get a porpose going (too bow-high) yet not drag too much (bow low). I put shoes and other mods 3rd and down, finer tuning after trhe diverter & rideplate are on & adjusted.
Sure thank ya. I'm in touch with Duane. Going to get the kit fer sure. Now that you've given me enough information to get in trouble, I've got to take it apart now, just to see it. Being that ya'll here to guide me through just incase of the hidden spring that flies out, or the ballbearing that goes rolling accross the floor. You know the part that ya sit there for a second, then respond " WHERE THE HECK THAT CAME FROM"

shootingstar72683
12-29-2005, 03:45 PM
SINCE YOU HAVE A 12JE ,YOU CAN'T REALLY TURN THE PUMP TO GET A FELL ON IT.THE CONNECTION BETWEEN THE PUMP AND CRANK DOES NOT COMPRESS DOWN TO SLIDE OFF OF THE PUMP SPLINES.YA HAVE TO SLIDE ENTIRE MOTOR FORWARD. THIS IS ONE OF THE DOWNFALLS OF THE EPUMPS 3 POINT SETUP.THE DRIVE LINE IS BOLTED TO YOUR CRANK AND SLIDES ONTO THE PUMP DURIN INSTALL. THERE'S ALOT OF THINGS THAT CAN MAKE A BOAT SLOW.
To pull the motor; Unbolt the exhaust, the mid mounts,(from the stringers, or motor, or does it matter?).Then the motor is free to pull forward and out? It'll come out with a shaft connected to the crank. There is no flywheel? The starter bellhousing comes out together with the motor?

SmokinLowriderSS
12-29-2005, 07:14 PM
To pull the motor; Unbolt the exhaust, the mid mounts,(from the stringers, or motor, or does it matter?).Then the motor is free to pull forward and out? It'll come out with a shaft connected to the crank. There is no flywheel? The starter bellhousing comes out together with the motor?
Loosten the 2 bolts at the bottom of the bellhousing at the drive. There is an upside-down saddle-clamp arrangement there with a large rubber "band" vibration isolator between the bellhousing and the drive snout.
There is either a flywheel or (more likely) a flexplate. you have to have something to engage the starter. The drive coupler bolts with 4 bolts tho directly to the end of the crank thru the flexplate.
Don't forget to take the wiring loose. :idea: