PDA

View Full Version : BBC Thermostat System

SoCal Power
07-19-2004, 06:33 PM
Here's a before and after shot of a cooling system upgrade. Includes a newer style aluminum crossover with thermostat on a mid-80s INDMAR BBC jet package.
Besides the engine being an eye-sore, what do you think of the system?
PM me for details
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/521/1417Hinis_After_Cropped.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/521/1417Hinis_Before_Cropped.jpg

Nubbs
07-19-2004, 10:07 PM
It doesn't look bad. The aluminum piece is a bit large. Can you give some details as to how it works?

SoCal Power
07-20-2004, 08:50 PM
Nubbs,
I agree, it's a little overbearing in size. It makes for a nice surface to apply an engine-builder or boat manufacturer's logo though.
I designed it to enable versatile plumbing arrangements. They have been used mostly for offshore applications. The manifold can be drilled and tapped on any surface to install fittings as needed. The perimeter wall will accept up to 1" NPT.
There is divider wall running horizontal through the part with a port in the center to even out pressure to both sides of the engine.
I use them for plumbing to an inner-cooler or other apps where a water source is required.
In this case I installed it on a jet boat engine and I added a thermostat in the exisitng thermostat housing. I had to add a 90deg fitting on top of the exisitng housing also. When the thermostat is closed, by-pass water exits through the top-center port of the crossover, then through the (2) hoses to the risers. When the thermostat opens, water releases out of the engine through the risers hoses and restricts by-pass flow.
On to another subject........where are you working now?
Dave

Nubbs
07-20-2004, 09:05 PM
Thanks for the explanation.
I currently work at Advanced Engine Management (AEM). Been there for almost 2 years.

Bense468
07-20-2004, 10:06 PM
Dave
Whats going on buddy? Did you ever sell the boat? If not do you still want to?

SoCal Power
07-22-2004, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by Nubbs
Thanks for the explanation.
Your welcome
I currently work at Advanced Engine Management (AEM). Been there for almost 2 years.
I remember you talking about starting a business a while back, didn't know how that ended up.

SoCal Power
07-22-2004, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by Bense468
Dave
Whats going on buddy? Did you ever sell the boat? If not do you still want to?
I've been busy with new job, raising the little ones and trying to finish the new 19 you saw awhile back. I still have my 19 and it looks like I'll be trying to rig for 05.
Did you get a new boat?

Nubbs
07-22-2004, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by SoCal Power
I remember you talking about starting a business a while back, didn't know how that ended up.
That's still a ways off in the future. I'm not ready to start up a full time business yet, however, I still want to. On a side note, I'm starting a little side business selling custom golf carts, parts, and accessories. I should have all the little details worked out within the next week or two. You're not looking for a cart, are you??:D :D