PDA

View Full Version : Oil change.....Durmax

Mandelon
07-19-2004, 08:07 PM
Its for the first oil and filter change in my new Duramax.
Lets hear the suggestions please.
I used Pennzoil in my 460 powered Ford and its been fine, I use Mobil 1 in the boat and its been fine.....but I've never had a diesel before.

Jordy
07-19-2004, 09:04 PM
I run Valvoline 20w50 Racing with Wix filters in my personal truck. I run that combo in my boats and in every truck I've owned. No complaints here.
I run whatever is on draft in the company Duramax though. Company trucks are a good thing. :D :D :D

Jrocket
07-19-2004, 10:00 PM
I think with those Japanese motors you just throw them away dont ya?:D

LUVNLIFE
07-20-2004, 03:22 AM
Chevron Delo 400 15/40 with wix filters. You can get the filters at Napa.

N2Lake
07-20-2004, 04:06 AM
I used to run over the road trucks, farm tractors, and Power Strokes. Had great luck with Shell Rotella T 15/40. Had to rebuild a couple of motors in the trucks but it was at 5 to 6 hundred thousand miles.

PHX ATC
07-20-2004, 06:58 AM
Ro"smella" is good.
I've run Delo400 in mine (Chevron) and have had no ill effects.

HighRoller
07-21-2004, 12:55 PM
My only recommendation is that you use an oil made for diesel engines. I know this sounds stupid, but I've had to remind people that the oils for gas and diesels are different. I recommend Mobil Delvac.

Lightning
07-21-2004, 01:44 PM
I use Delo400 syn - you can get it at Costco. I use Baldwin Filters (the best in my opinion)- I found a local source if you want the info.
Don't forget, fuel filter change is recommended every 10,000.
Here is a list of service recommendation for the duramax from www.thedieselplace.com
5000 miles
Change oil and filter, lubricate suspension. Will be referred to as LOF for future
Inspect tires for correct air pressure and signs of damage. For aggressive tread patterns, it’s a good idea to rotate them at this time. Highway tires can go 10,000 miles between rotations
Replace external spin on transmission filter in Allison equipped trucks.
Drain and refill rear axle lube if equipped with the G-80 Eaton differential. It is only required at this interval to remove break in material.
PMI. (preventative maintenance inspection) This includes but is not limited too a complete general inspection of lights, possible fluid leaks and overall vehicle condition. Also, inspect and top off W/W solvent, brake fluid, power steering fluid, transmission fluid, coolant, transfer case, and front and rear axles. Check and replace air filter as needed. Check serpentine drive belt for fraying or cracking. Check and adjust air pressure in tires and don’t forget about the spare. Check and clean fuel cooler of debris. Inspect condition of wiper blades and replace as needed. Inspect batteries and cables for signs of leakage, tightness. Use a spray on type off sealer to help prevent corrosion buildup and keep it cleaned off using a baking soda and cola mixture or a spray style cleaner. GM feels that leaking batteries are partly caused from the posts overheating from poor contact between the cable and battery, make sure this is clean and the cable is tightened properly.
10,000 miles
LOF
Tire rotation and inspection
PMI
Lubricate door hinges, latches and pivots. Its also a good idea to lube the tailgate latches and hood latch.
Replace OEM fuel filter
15,000 miles
LOF
PMI
Inspect and replace passenger compartment filter (01 and 02 models only) as needed
20,000 miles
LOF
Tire rotation and balance.
PMI
Replace OEM fuel filter
Inspect brake pad wear and condition of rotors and pads. Just a visual is all that’s needed
25,000 miles
LOF
Tire rotation
PMI
30,000 miles
LOF
Have an oil analysis done at this time and keep a record of the results. This may help to find hidden problems that may exist
PMI
Drain and refill Allison transmission fluid. There is a plug in the pan which makes the job easy. Also replace the external filter at this time.
Replace OEM fuel filter
Inspect passenger compartment filter.
Drain and refill transfer case fluid if equipped
Treat all rubber weather-stripping with a silicone spray treatment. This will keep the rubber soft and prevent it from drying out and cracking. A dielectric silicone grease may also be used.
Lube driveshaft splines at transmission.
35,000 miles
LOF
40,000 miles
LOF
Replace OEM fuel filter
Tire rotation and balance
Inspect brake pad wear and condition of rotors and pads. Just a visual is all that’s needed
45,000 miles
LOF
50,000 miles
LOF
Replace OEM fuel filter
Drain and refill radiator. Drain valve located in pass side lower radiator, access through wheel well
55,000 miles
LOF
60,000 miles
LOF
Have an oil analysis done at this time and keep a record of the results. This may help to find hidden problems that may exist
Inspect brake pad wear and condition of rotors and pads.
Replace OEM fuel filter
Drain and refill Allison transmission fluid
Replace external spin on filter Allison transmission
Treat all rubber weather-stripping with a silicone spray treatment. This will keep the rubber soft and prevent it from drying out and cracking.
Drain and refill transfer case fluid
Lube driveshaft splines at transmission. Check u-joints for tight spots or wear while driveshaft is out.
65,000 miles
LOF
70,000 miles
LOF
Replace OEM fuel filter
75,000 miles
LOF
80,000 miles
LOF
Replace OEM fuel filter
85,000 miles
LOF
90,000 miles
LOF
Replace OEM fuel filter
Replace internal filter Allison transmission
Replace external spin on filter Allison transmission
Drain and refill transfer case fluid
Treat all rubber weather-stripping with a silicone spray treatment. This will keep the rubber soft and prevent it from drying out and cracking.
Lube driveshaft splines at transmission
95,000 miles
LOF
100,000 miles
LOF
PMI
Complete flush of cooling system
Replace radiator cap
Perform pressurized test of cooling system to check for leaks.
Drain and refill front differential fluid
Drain and refill rear differential fluid
Flush brake fluid
Drain and refill transmission fluid (ZF-6)
Replace serpentine drive belt
Resetting the oil life monitor
Turn the ignition key to the RUN position
Fully push and release the accelerator pedal 3 times within 5 seconds
If the Change Oil Soon light flashes, the system is resetting
Turn the key to OFF
Start the vehicle
The oil life will change to 100%
If the Change Oil Soon light comes back on, the system has not reset and the procedure must be repeated.
Handy Info
Lug nut torque is 140lbs
Fluid and Lubrication Recommendations
Engine Oil Any CH-4 or CI-4 designated oil. 15W-40 is the recommended viscosity of oil, a synthetic may carry a 5W-40 viscosity rating. It is allowed to use a 10W-30 viscosity oil when temps will be below freezing. Do not use other viscosity oils.
Automatic Transmission Dexron-III. Transynd fluid may be substituted or any synthetic fluid meeting Dexron-III standards. Transynd is the OEM fluid for use in Allison Transmissions and offers extended drain intervals.
Engine Coolant 50/50 mixture of clean drinkable water and Dexcool coolant
Brake Fluid DOT-3 brake fluid
Hydraulic Clutch Fluid GM Hydraulic Clutch fluid part no 88958860
Power Steering Fluid GM part no 10500017 or GM Cold Climate power steering fluid
Manual Transmission (ZF-6) Transynd synthetic automatic transmission fluid
Front Axle SAE 80W-90 Axle Lubricant GM part no 1052271 or SAE 75-90 Synthetic axle lubricant GM part no 12378261 (Grape Juice) It is recommended to replace vent cap with GM part no 12479296 when using a synthetic lube
Rear Axle SAE 75W-90 Synthetic Axle lubricant GM part no 12378261 or equivalent
Transfer Case DEXRON-III Automatic Transmission Fluid or equivalent
Weatherstrip Dielectric Silicone Grease GM part no 12345579
Pivot Points Superlube GM part no 12346241. Lube points include, but are not limited too: Key lock cylinders, floor shift linkage, hood hinges and latch, door hinges and latches, fuel door hinge, tailgate pivots, latch and handle,
Chassis Grease GM part no 12377985 or equivalent meeting category LB or GC-LB requirements

OutCole'd
07-21-2004, 02:00 PM
I read that whole thing, and it said nothing about changing the spark plugs...WTF??
:D

Duck
07-22-2004, 09:20 PM
I use Rotella. Drive it up on ramps or else the oil will curl back and catch the skid plate and then drain out two or three holes making a big @#$%^ mess. I put a Fram EZ drain on and love it. Lubing the puppy can be a bitch, as finding #11 zerk took a while (hint-remove the five 15mm bolts on the sked and remove-worth the coulpe of minutes). They say you can put angled 6mm zerks in to make greasing three of them easier, but the 6mm I bought still didn't fit, so I'm unbolting. Oh well. Fuel filter is not to bad to do-check out the DieselPlace. Good info.

rude235
07-22-2004, 09:44 PM
i don't own a diesel, but i've been using amsoil for a number of years now and have been very pleased with it. i use it in pretty much everything.

HighRoller
07-22-2004, 11:36 PM
read that whole thing, and it said nothing about changing the spark plugs...WTF??
Dumbass....everone knows you change them at the same time as the cap and rotor. DUH!
Seriously, even more important than the oil change is making sure you change the fuel filter(s) on your diesel pickup at or before the recommended mileage. Direct injected diesels have a very high fuel pressure and do not tolerate plugged filters well. In addition, the Powerstroke's fuel pressure is driven by the oil pressure so don't lag on oil changes either or you'll have twice the problem!

drysumpjet
07-23-2004, 03:23 AM
I have been using Amsoil's 15-40 diesel oil in my Duramax. It is the only synthetic I can find that is 15-40, most other synthetic diesel oils are 5-40. Has anybody else found any other 15-40 synthetic diesel oils?
Also changed the tranmission fluid to Mobil synthetic. Noticed now it engages into drive quicker and maintains a slightly lower transmission temperature.

Fiat48
07-26-2004, 07:05 PM
Rotella or Delo. Stay with the old standard brands.