PDA

View Full Version : Lake Mohave boating accident Sunday 7-18-04

hd&boatrider
07-20-2004, 03:39 AM
Be careful out there people. I was in GA around this time and the sheriff came in then shot out real fast around the time this happened. Somewhere I read here in the HBF that there were police checking/hasseling people coming out of GA...maybe it was because of this:
Victim of boating mishap identified
By STACY BRANDT
LAKE MOHAVE -- The National Park Service has released the name of the man who died Sunday in a boating accident on Lake Mohave.
Hovanes Minasian, 26, a resident of Burbank, Calif., died after falling from his personal water craft and being run over by another vessel, according to a National Park Service press release.
The vessel was a propeller-driven boat, investigating park ranger John Tesar said.
A preliminary coroner's report stated that Minasian bled to death after receiving multi-system trauma, Tesar said.
The incident happened at about 1:30 p.m. near mile marker nine on the lake.
The cause of the accident is under investigation.

Flying Tiger
07-20-2004, 03:56 AM
Honestly, I'm surprised there aren't more of the kinda accidents on Mojave.
Sad and sorry to read it,, but we avoid Katherines for this very reason.
I suggest to anyone considering Mojave,, to take the extra time and launch from Cottonwood,, and then head North.

Essex502
07-21-2004, 06:47 AM
What was a personal watercraft doing that close to a boat? Perhaps cutting in and out of traffic? Jumping wakes? "buzzing" the boats is jest? I'm surprised it doesn't happen more often. PWC riders have no respect (yes a generality) plus they are usually ignorant of the rules of boating. Every last one of them should be required to take a safe boating class and show proof of successfully passing said class BEFORE being able to purchase a PWC.

surfer2001
07-21-2004, 07:02 AM
http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=52252&highlight=wakeup+call+in+parker

dicudmore
07-21-2004, 07:02 AM
thats a sad deal

Ducatista
07-21-2004, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by Essex502
[. Every last one of them should be required to take a safe boating class and show proof of successfully passing said class BEFORE being able to purchase a PWC. [/B]
I agree. But I wouldn't just pick on the PWC's, I would include owners/ operators of boats also. I'm usually not the one that wants more legislation, but on this issue we would all be alot better off. Education on safety, the rules of the water, people are just "clueless" sometimes.

Ducatista
07-21-2004, 11:28 AM
I agree. But I wouldn't just pick on the PWC's, I would include owners/ operators of boats also. I'm usually not the one that wants more legislation, but on this issue we would all be alot better off. Education on safety, the rules of the water, people are just "clueless" sometimes.

RiverLife
07-21-2004, 11:28 AM
Ditto!!!!!!!
Originally posted by Ducatista

Essex502
07-21-2004, 01:01 PM
I have NO PROBLEM with any laws being passed to certify or license boat operators. I think it would get the dangerous ones off the lake - dangerous as meaning those that have no business rolling into town and renting a pontoon or other type boat and being "released" onto the water with no experience whatsoever. I'm sick and tired of avoiding these idiots or repairing my gel coat due to getting hit.

Havasu_Dreamin
07-21-2004, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by Ducatista
I'm usually not the one that wants more legislation, but on this issue we would all be alot better off.
I agree. Unfortunately, I think in the not too far off future we will see mandatory llicensing.

Racer277
07-21-2004, 01:17 PM
Sure, let's require classes and licenses.
Then we'll add sound laws, then smog laws, hell let's also give a written test every few years.
This has kept all of the idiots off the roads in Los Angeles for years, and thank god, it makes driving simply a pleasure.:)
I have seen 10 year olds on Jet Skis who show maturity and respect, but are breaking the law simply by riding alone on a lake. I have seen Big Shooters in 1/4 million dollar boats that couldn't pull into a slip without causing damage.
More laws are not the answer.:rolleyes:

Essex502
07-21-2004, 01:43 PM
What licensing would do it take the 'casual' boater off of the waterways. Today, all you need to do is plunk down a deposit and a rental yard will let you take the shiny new boat out without any experience whatsoever. Same with PWC's.
We license drivers why not license boaters?

Racer277
07-21-2004, 02:01 PM
This person was already a victim of a broken law.
How would being a victim of additional broken laws have helped?
We have plenty of laws covering boating now, including reckless operation. If it was not enforced in this case, what would it matter if the reckless boater (or PWCer, or both) also wasn't licensed? We all know that the boat cops have too much to do and enforce, how will additional laws help them?
Forgive me, I just don't see additional laws against stupid people as helping. All they seem to do is restrict/slow down/piss off the good law abiding people.
My 2cents.
For Example, a buddy was pulled over in Gasoline Alley this weekend, he is in a new 32 Sunsation. "Checking registration and fire extinguishers". He was all good. Meanwhile, MANY jetskis were ridden right by, you can bet 80% of them had neither.
How did these laws help anyone?