PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone give me cheetah feedback?

TopGun4608
07-20-2004, 03:13 PM
Hi I am interested in buying a new boat. I currently have an 82 eliminator open bow that I have completely restored but its a little too rough and I am ready for something newer. I have a budget of around $45k and I want like a 22-24 footer. I have been really looking at the Cheetah and I havent heard too much about them. Can anyone give me any knowledge of the boat or any pros or cons to it. It would help me a lot.
Thanks
MIKE

twistedpair
07-20-2004, 03:27 PM
Cheetah definitely looks like a lot of bang for the buck. I'm sure the fit and finish aren't quite up to par with the 'elite' (pronounced expensive) builders, but hey, how many zip-ties do you need anyway! Check with Hot-Diggity-Dog here, or at Riverratlife.com, I believe he's had a couple of them. I sure don't seem to see many customer dissatisfaction threads about them.
Good luck, and keep us posted on your search.

SMFRiverRat
07-20-2004, 04:17 PM
I have a 2000 Cheetah Stiletto(or as my 14 year old daughter calls it, the "cat shoe"). My family and I have had A great time in it and are fortunate enough to use it about 4 days a week. I will agree that you do get a lot of bang for the buck.
I will say that the wiring set up has a lot to be desired. I went through it when I first bought it and reloomed(sp?) most of the wiring that was just atrocious. I literally found that the wiring was tied with twist ties that you would find on a loaf of bread. NO KIDDING! After about 3 hours and $7.00 worth of zip ties I had it dialed in to my very liberal specifications.
I will say that this is my only really serious complaint to what is otherwise a terrific value. I can tell you that my paint scheme was not copied from any other MFG, that's for sure. I understand that this has been a concern in the past.
Good luck and I am sure you wont be disappointed.

MOBrien
07-20-2004, 04:43 PM
Mike,
We purchased our 2000 Stiletto 24' earlier this year from its original owner. Like many, we just didn't have the funds to go new and found this beauty up for grabs. It handles boat chop like butter and actually prefers 1-2' wind chop over glassy conditions when we are WOT because of the hull. Ours is the walk-through open bow config, 7.4 MPI/bravo1 and runs a flat 60 mph turning a 21P 4-blade. Now they're offering it with the 496HO and is by far the best option for this boat for power, quickness, reliability,and the fact that the 496HO will put her out to about 78mph!
We've been out on the local lakes and river nearly every weekend and I have no complaints. "Twistedpair" put it perfectly though....fit and finish are not up to the likes of Essex, Ultra, Lavey Craft, etc....but what a great buy if you cannot throw out the $60-75K+ for a new one of those in the 22-24' range. To put it simply, we love our Cheetah and have no regrets with it.
PM me if you have any specific Q's that I may be able to answer for you from an owners perspective. Otherwise, call Cheetah Bob (owner of Cheetah) and pick his brain. Even though he owns the place, he's open to take calls and is always willing to chat about his product.
Hope that helps,
MOB

dicudmore
07-20-2004, 04:49 PM
happy Cheetah owner here....
ask away

dicudmore
07-20-2004, 04:55 PM
Mike check out this link also.
Gonna be off the board for a couple hours. PM or put up here any question you got I'll try to help.
-Dan
40k alternative, nice boat too (http://www.stealthmarine.com)

DogHouse
07-20-2004, 05:08 PM
Here's a little story that I think Cheetah Bob deserves a lot of credit for. I'm not sure how many other manufacturers would have done this:
My buddy recently ordered a new 23 tunnel from Cheetah. We went out to the factory and took along some drawings of the gel coat scheme that he was looking for. We looked at some color samples and picked the colors. Long story short, somewhere along the lines of communication between the customer and the guy that did the gelcoat, something got dropped and the boat just didn't come out right. The graphics were similar but not right, and the colors were not quite the right shade that he had asked for. The overall effect was just less than stunning. After a little discussion, it was clear that easy mods could not alter the look enough to make the customer happy. With no argument or hassles, Bob offered to build a whole new boat. This time, the customer made an appointment directly with the gel coater to make sure everyone is on the same page. For a builder that doesn't operate on a huge profit margin, I think that's a stand-up thing to do.
The 23/24 tunnels are really fun boats when you throw some power at them. Not a great rough water boat in the sense of Powell/Mead/Mohave on a bad day, but they'll handle most lake chop ok.
-brian

FRENCHIE
07-20-2004, 06:50 PM
definately talk to or p.m. Dicudmore that dude speaks the truth and very down to earth!!;)

goeasy8
07-20-2004, 06:51 PM
I can never seem to post a picture here but I will try again.

thom
07-20-2004, 07:45 PM
hey smf hows she running?? I miss that boat!! I still havent found a replacement. and no the ties are not from me

SMFRiverRat
07-20-2004, 08:00 PM
Hey THOM
We LOVE the boat. Just a couple little problems that were fixed without hassle at all. I know you did not do the twist tie thing.
As mentioned above, it handles the chop on the river and Folsom great. Have to wait till next year to try the Wind in Havasu or Mead. The bad part is that my G/F is getting so good at backing the truck and launching the boat that she wants to go by herself with her Girlfriends.
Hope your house is ok with the fires and all. Still need to fit me with some Pings.
Come up and take a ride anytime.

phebus
07-20-2004, 08:27 PM
Here is the picture from goeasy8.........
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=802195

78Southwind
07-20-2004, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by dicudmore
Mike check out this link also.
Gonna be off the board for a couple hours. PM or put up here any question you got I'll try to help.
-Dan
40k alternative, nice boat too (http://www.stealthmarine.com)
Whats the story with Stealthmarine I heard that hull was a mold of a Mirage and it was passed around a bit and Cheeta Bobs son now has it?

bigq
07-20-2004, 10:46 PM
Originally posted by 78Southwind
Whats the story with Stealthmarine I heard that hull was a mold of a Mirage and it was passed around a bit and Cheeta Bobs son now has it?
Passed around a lot, Laser Boats, Lighting boats, Stealth marine, Genisis Boats. I think they all made some tweeks to the hull. i know laser boats took of the plexiglass windhield.
60k for a 25' boat with an HP500 seems pretty good. :)

TopGun4608
07-20-2004, 11:25 PM
Thanks to everyone who has given me all the feedback in regards to the cheetah. As of right now I am looking at the 23' with the 496 and I think that it will be a really nice set up for just over 40k. If anyone still has info please leave it as it is helping me a lot.

dicudmore
07-21-2004, 06:43 AM
Originally posted by TopGun4608
Thanks to everyone who has given me all the feedback in regards to the cheetah. As of right now I am looking at the 23' with the 496 and I think that it will be a really nice set up for just over 40k. If anyone still has info please leave it as it is helping me a lot.
good luck in your decision....
let us all know what you go with.
Remember, any boat is a cool boat :D

dicudmore
07-21-2004, 06:55 AM
like he said, Laser, Genesis etc sell it as a 25' also.
To my knowledge Stealth is actually Bob's company (Cheetah Bob)
It was the virage or mirage in the late 90's
They're solid and have nice equipment in them.
E-ticket, Domn8r, Cheetah and Stealth are all laid up by the same glass shop in Havasu

goeasy8
07-21-2004, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by phebus
Here is the picture from goeasy8.........
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=802195
Thanks for posting it for me phebus, I can never figure out how to do it.
This boat is for sale anyone interested email me at goeasy8@charter for info and more pics.:)

nodigg
07-22-2004, 11:09 AM
1999 Fast Cat 24'. LOVE it! And yes it was short on wire ties too but WTF? Got about 600 hrs on it and just now thinking of selling to go bigger. (Any body in the used deck boat market??)

Stealth Marine
07-22-2004, 07:24 PM
Since there seems to be a little possible confusion here, I thought I might offer a few explanations.
Bob Burns, affectionatley referred to as "Dear old Dad" in our family, bought the original Virage mold a couple of years ago. From that mold we made a couple of plugs and sold them off to other manufacturers that wanted to offer their own variations on that hull.
Dad began building the "Stealth-252" shortly after buying the mold on a part time basis as a custom built boat for some of his customers that were looking for something different from the Cheetah line. In late 2002 he created Stealth Marine as a full time business to take over the entire production of the Stealth boats and keep it wholely seperate from Cheetah as its own entity.
At this point the hull is laid right here in River City, and all rigging is done just outside of my office. 100% of the Stalth 252 is made in Lake Havasu City, and I think it would be fair to call us a true manufacturer at this point.
Granted, for zoning reasons we don't shoot the gel or layup the hull in the same building where we do the rigging, but the same is true for Cheetah. Lake Havasu is a strange place, and town makes you jump through quite a few hoops these days if you want to build boats.
Now, having said all that, the hull is "Mostly" the same as the original Virage, but it is most certainly NOT identicle. The original design had its speed limitations and could get a bit unstable at time. We think we solved that with the modifications we made to the hull. I expect the others that bought plugs from us have attempted to do something similar as well.
Hope that helps to set the story right.

bigq
07-22-2004, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by Stealth Marine
Since there seems to be a little possible confusion here, I thought I might offer a few explanations.
Bob Burns, affectionatley referred to as "Dear old Dad" in our family, bought the original Virage mold a couple of years ago. From that mold we made a couple of plugs and sold them off to other manufacturers that wanted to offer their own variations on that hull.
Dad began building the "Stealth-252" shortly after buying the mold on a part time basis as a custom built boat for some of his customers that were looking for something different from the Cheetah line. In late 2002 he created Stealth Marine as a full time business to take over the entire production of the Stealth boats and keep it wholely seperate from Cheetah as its own entity.
At this point the hull is laid right here in River City, and all rigging is done just outside of my office. 100% of the Stalth 252 is made in Lake Havasu City, and I think it would be fair to call us a true manufacturer at this point.
Granted, for zoning reasons we don't shoot the gel or layup the hull in the same building where we do the rigging, but the same is true for Cheetah. Lake Havasu is a strange place, and town makes you jump through quite a few hoops these days if you want to build boats.
Now, having said all that, the hull is "Mostly" the same as the original Virage, but it is most certainly NOT identicle. The original design had its speed limitations and could get a bit unstable at time. We think we solved that with the modifications we made to the hull. I expect the others that bought plugs from us have attempted to do something similar as well.
Hope that helps to set the story right.
Cool seems like a good value. What speeds do you see with the HP500 or has anyone ordered one with it yet?

Stealth Marine
07-23-2004, 08:52 AM
Originally posted by bigq
Cool seems like a good value. What speeds do you see with the HP500 or has anyone ordered one with it yet?
You should see speeds listed on the www site next to the engine listings.

Ducatista
07-23-2004, 09:51 AM
Another happy Cheetah owner here also..........
FYI Stealth Marine is an excellent alternative to Alco & Savage on service too...........They're Merc mechanic "Mike" and Randy have treated me very well. :cool:

Stealth Marine
07-23-2004, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by Ducatista
FYI Stealth Marine is an excellent alternative to Alco & Savage on service too...........They're Merc mechanic "Mike" and Randy have treated me very well. :cool:
Dang, another satisfied customer got out alive... <G>
Glad to hear Randy and Mike took good care of you!

Hakuna Matata
07-23-2004, 04:50 PM
before you buy a Cheetah do yourself a favor and talk to domin8tor boats...nice boats for the money ...real nice 23' w/ lots of room and its a true 23' boat...not a tunnel though...still hadels great for a 23' boat .....good luck....Domin8tor boats-(909)931-3268....talk to Dory

Stealth Marine
07-24-2004, 07:23 AM
Originally posted by Hakuna Matata
before you buy a Cheetah do yourself a favor and talk to domin8tor boats...nice boats for the money ...real nice 23' w/ lots of room and its a true 23' boat...not a tunnel though...still hadels great for a 23' boat .....good luck....Domin8tor boats-(909)931-3268....talk to Dory
Dory make a nice boat.
But I don't think you would be comparing apples to oranges with a Cheetah Vs. Domin8tor.

SHAKEN Not Stirred
07-24-2004, 08:30 AM
TopGun,
Check your PM's....
CJG

24ROD
07-24-2004, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by Ducatista
Ditto: Mike hooked us up too! Great guy very very cool.:cool:

Stealth Marine
07-24-2004, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by 24ROD
Looks like Mike has a few supporters out there.

24ROD
07-24-2004, 04:24 PM
Btw. Cheetah does make a great boat for the money. Cheetah Bob has allways taken good care of us. We have been very happy with it. Maybe get the next one from Bob as well.:wink:

dicudmore
07-25-2004, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by Stealth Marine
Dory make a nice boat.
But I don't think you would be comparing apples to oranges with a Cheetah Vs. Domin8tor.
took the words right out of my mouth....
Dory does a nice job, but why buy a Cheetah with a Domn8r sticker when you can buy a Cheetah? :D
I still like the Stealth for the money also as v-bottom alternate to the tunnel :D
I'm pretty sure, read positive that E-ticket is laid up in the same shop as well

nodigg
07-26-2004, 06:35 AM
Originally posted by 24ROD
Well, Mike has my boat right now. I hope to agree with your opinion soon. I am hoping he can clean up the transom soot issue for me. I spoke to him at length Friday and he seems to have the right background for fine tuning hopped up motors. (Not that mine is hopped up)

Stealth Marine
07-26-2004, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by nodigg
Well, Mike has my boat right now. I hope to agree with your opinion soon. I am hoping he can clean up the transom soot issue for me. I spoke to him at length Friday and he seems to have the right background for fine tuning hopped up motors. (Not that mine is hopped up)
Is your boat the one with the Rich Fuel issue and the supercharger??

nodigg
07-26-2004, 11:40 AM
Yup! (Careful what you put out on the boards. I have everyone thinking it is a Vortech 4.3):rolleyes:

Stealth Marine
07-26-2004, 11:45 AM
Yup! (Careful what you put out on the boards. I have everyone thinking it is a Vortech 4.3):rolleyes:
Well, just as soon as we finish installing the headers on that 36' Scarab we will dive into your engine and find out whats going on.

nodigg
07-26-2004, 11:48 AM
Cool, anxious to see if you guys can solve the 5 year old problem. Then I gotta get it to Dave asap for the hook removal and get in back in the water by Thurs morning for some wakeboarding.

Stealth Marine
07-27-2004, 09:01 AM
Cool, anxious to see if you guys can solve the 5 year old problem. Then I gotta get it to Dave asap for the hook removal and get in back in the water by Thurs morning for some wakeboarding.
I sure hope you talking about NEXT Thursday and not the day after tomorrow???
I don't think there is any chance of you having this boat back in the water ready to rock and roll in 48 hours....

nodigg
07-27-2004, 09:04 AM
Uh-oh!