PDA

View Full Version : Pocket Nines

Lake Pirate
07-20-2004, 05:02 PM
It seems the last three (or is it four) years in a row the World Series of Poker has been won by an amateur?
Ya think the "pro's" are just overrated players and that skill has nothing to with it? At least in the long term?

Phat Matt
07-20-2004, 06:38 PM
I think you are still at the mercy of the cards. You can make a text book move and go with the odds and still lose. It only takes once when you're all in! :)

Kilrtoy
07-20-2004, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by Phat Matt
I think you are still at the mercy of the cards. You can make a text book move and go with the odds and still lose. It only takes once when you're all in! :)
DAMN, so that is how I got three kids.... I told her i should have only put it half way in.

plaster dave
07-20-2004, 08:30 PM
do any of u guys play poker on a regular bases?? i do and if u r playing with someone that doesn't know that they should fold their hand cause its not worth the $ to try and catch their 1 or 2 cards they need to make their hand then your top pair that u bet big before they could let their hand develope, then u cant get them out and u lose . but in the long run its allways the pros that win... do u remember the name of any of those new guys that won ??? i doubt it , but u remember the pros cause their allways like phil ive , doyle brunson daniel i forgot this last name lol and the never forgetable phil helmouth . tj cloutier s/p so i think u know what i think now lol:D

Lake Pirate
07-20-2004, 08:43 PM
Do they have qualifying tournaments in Cal or AZ? Around here we just play regular hold 'em and have for decades. 10/20 or 20/40 usually. Tournament play is quite a bit different than standard hold 'em. With the clock running and blinds doubling it's not necessarily prudent to play good cards only. We only see the final table on TV. I would imagine there had to be some chances taken with marginal cards to get there?

al cole'holic
07-20-2004, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by plaster dave
do any of u guys play poker on a regular bases??
We have turned a regular house Wednesday poker night into a pretty sweet tournament at an establishment on the SantaSu pass "neighbor" :D

Phat Matt
07-20-2004, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by Lake Pirate
Do they have qualifying tournaments in Cal or AZ?
Yeah. Ben Affleck just won a seat in the WPT. :rolleyes:

Lake Pirate
07-21-2004, 08:05 AM
I think it's pretty cool poker has come so far. It's like, "the new football." It's everywhere on TV and I am finding it mentioned (at least) in most major sports publications. It has to be the "perfect" sport. Anyone can win. I think I'll turn pro. See y'all on ESPN.

lucky
07-21-2004, 08:26 AM
It seems the last three (or is it four) years in a row the World Series of Poker has been won by an amateur?
Ya think the "pro's" are just overrated players and that skill has nothing to with it? At least in the long term?
OHH i though you where talking about " me " ( pocket nine ) -- ha ha ha ha ha --- ummmm ------ yea --- over rated :p

Dr. Eagle
07-21-2004, 08:46 AM
Chess is my game, I don't go in for poker...

Lake Pirate
07-21-2004, 08:49 AM
Poker (at least hold 'em) has become a good way to make some big money in the small amateur games. Suddenly everybody is an expert and playing big stakes to prove it. It is nothing to make 4 or 5 grand a night.

WaTchTheGelCoat
07-21-2004, 09:13 AM
I play on a regular basis. I think its funny to see people that have watched the WPT, and come in to play for thier first time, they look about as comfortable as kunta kintia (SP) at a KKK meeting. :D

welk2party
07-21-2004, 09:20 AM
Love to play. Have made the money in one tourney and have done fair to good in money games. The only way to learn is to play and everyone is dead money when they started to play.

WaTchTheGelCoat
07-21-2004, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by welk2party
Love to play. Have made the money in one tourney and have done fair to good in money games. The only way to learn is to play and everyone is dead money when they started to play.
Yes sir.

Lake Pirate
07-21-2004, 09:31 AM
What I see as atypical here, is most players do not adjust their psychology or their style according to the game or players. That's a huge mistake. I'm lovin' every minute of it. (At least while it lasts?)

WaTchTheGelCoat
07-21-2004, 09:42 AM
What I see as atypical here, is most players do not adjust their psychology or their style according to the game or players. That's a huge mistake. I'm lovin' every minute of it. (At least while it lasts?)
I always adjust my play according to the players at the table, if I am sitting with a bunch of newbs, I will be very aggressive and try to take control of the game, eventually backing off and playing tight.
There is an old saying. "if you cant spot the sucker at the table in the first half hour, you are the sucker"