PDA

View Full Version : Another Rice Road death...

Newcastle
04-06-2006, 04:12 PM
Dunno if this has already come out or not, but I just got word today.
Apparently a Placentia PD Sgt. was traveling Rice Rd. and got a flat. He and his nephew pulled off to the shoulder. An elderly man not paying attention ran into his trailer, which in turn pushed his truck into the Sgt. and his nephew. The nephew died at the scene and the Sgt. died later at the hospital.
There was another off-duty Officer with them in another vehicle, and by the time he had turned around the collision had already occurred.
I have some more details if anybody's interested.
DRIVE SAFE OUT THERE, ESPECIALLY THOSE ON RICE ROAD!!!!

shadow
04-06-2006, 04:18 PM
Dunno if this has already come out or not, but I just got word today.
Apparently a Placentia PD Sgt. was traveling Rice Rd. and got a flat. He and his nephew pulled off to the shoulder. An elderly man not paying attention ran into his trailer, which in turn pushed his truck into the Sgt. and his nephew. The nephew died at the scene and the Sgt. died later at the hospital.
There was another off-duty Officer with them in another vehicle, and by the time he had turned around the collision had already occurred.
I have some more details if anybody's interested.
DRIVE SAFE OUT THERE, ESPECIALLY THOSE ON RICE ROAD!!!!
Badass38chevy just called me with the news of the accident.
Blue & white Eliminator v bottom towed by Black Suburban.Man i hate that road.Very sad news for all families & friends of everyone involved.

THATJEFFGUY
04-06-2006, 04:19 PM
Wow, sux to hear this stuff ! Prayers to their familes. F'n old people..they're the worst on the roads, they don't pay attention to schit !!

jbtrailerjim
04-06-2006, 04:23 PM
Very sad to hear. :frown: I hate Rice Road.

Totally IncapASSitated
04-06-2006, 04:26 PM
Nate....anyone that we know?????

Totally IncapASSitated
04-06-2006, 04:31 PM
Always hate to hear something like this....my condolences to their families

Newcastle
04-06-2006, 04:34 PM
Nate....anyone that we know?????
Nobody that we'd know, although I just met the guy about 2 weeks ago at training.

Havasu Cig
04-06-2006, 04:42 PM
That is exactly why I do not tow on that road. There is not enough shoulder to get out of harms way if you need to stop with a trailer.

cc322
04-06-2006, 04:49 PM
Hate to hear that shiat very sad indeed. I was in Havi last weekend and my sister in law travels rice all the time said it knocks off about 1/2 hr and tried to convince me to take it. Needless to say I went my normal route, never been rice road, is it that bad?. Maybe I am just too scared because of topics like this one.

Havasu Cig
04-06-2006, 04:54 PM
Hate to hear that shiat very sad indeed. I was in Havi last weekend and my sister in law travels rice all the time said it knocks off about 1/2 hr and tried to convince me to take it. Needless to say I went my normal route, never been rice road, is it that bad?. Maybe I am just too scared because of topics like this one.
It can be a crazy road with people passing on blind corners at night and traffic flowing between 80-90 mph. If I am not towing I will drive it (my wife refuses too though) but I will take Ehrenberg if I have the boat.

raff
04-06-2006, 04:58 PM
that is very sad
Heading out tomorrow, guess I will be going through Erinburg if the wife has anything to say about it.
Hate that road
Mark out

Schiada76
04-06-2006, 05:01 PM
That is just flat out FCKD. :frown:

cc322
04-06-2006, 05:11 PM
[QUOTE= I will take Ehrenberg if I have the boat.[/QUOTE]
Thats the only way I ever go.

Ivan Dan
04-06-2006, 05:14 PM
Nobody that we'd know, although I just met the guy about 2 weeks ago at training.
Nate....PM me the info you have. I know a few guys that are Placentia PD.

MRSDRMCAT
04-06-2006, 05:17 PM
That is teribble news!

Kilrtoy
04-06-2006, 05:20 PM
GODSPEED BROTHER,
I too exclusively use that road and it can get scare at times

burtandnancy
04-06-2006, 05:50 PM
Lighten up Jeff, you're getting a little long of tooth yourself. And we young seniors don't pull the stunts as indicated by Havasu Cig - above. We've seen it all before...

H20Advantage
04-06-2006, 07:30 PM
Do you know his name? I've worked with alot of guys over there.

Mrs.Racer277
04-06-2006, 07:32 PM
Does anyone have anymore info????

me4drvr
04-06-2006, 07:35 PM
Is Rice Rd that much of a time saver rather than the 40/15 route from the IE?? There are enough side roads through Barstow and stuff to get around the Vegas merge.... but is it really worth playing roulette?? I've only taken the route once and that's all I needed to stick to the 40.... I make it to/from Corona in a little over 3 hours...

slink
04-06-2006, 07:43 PM
He was a brother of one of our retired officers :cry:

TCHB
04-06-2006, 07:54 PM
Sad News
I drive Rice road all the time and have seen my share of accidents. I am not sure if other two lane highways are any safer. People drive way too fast and pass on blind corners is the biggest problem. People pulling boats pass me like I am standing still and I am 70MPH.

LHC30Victory
04-06-2006, 08:01 PM
Our condolences to the families involved.....
We only take Rice during the daytime during a non-busy period. Otherwise, the 40 is our route....

jbtrailerjim
04-06-2006, 08:06 PM
Sad News
I drive Rice road all the time and have seen my share of accidents. I am not sure if other two lane highways are any safer. People drive way too fast and pass on blind corners is the biggest problem. People pulling boats pass me like I am standing still and I am 70MPH.
I quit driving Rice Rd. because of all the idiots that drive to fast. Rice Rd. is a little faster than going through Ehrenberg but the highway through Ehrenberg is flat, straight, and a lot less traffic. My families safety is more important than getting to river 20 or 30 minutes sooner.

Newcastle
04-06-2006, 08:34 PM
Sgt. Gene Stuckenschneider and his 16 year old nephew Eddie were on their way back from the Colorado River traveling west bound on Rice Road at the Ironwood cutoff in Palm Desert. Gene’s boat trailer had a tire blow out. Gene pulled off to the side of the road and was going to change the flat tire. The shoulder was too soft and the boat trailer became stuck in the sand.
Officer Eric Anderson, who was driving in his own truck ahead of Gene, saw Gene pulled over on the shoulder. Eric turned his truck around and drove back to Gene and told Gene that he would tow him out of the sand. Gene and Eddie got out of the truck and stood by the flat tire on the trailer.
As Eric waited for traffic to pass an elderly male driver not paying attention drove into the back of Gene’s trailer and truck which pushed the vehicle towards Gene and Eddie who were standing off the side of the road. The vehicles struck Gene sending him at least 50’ in the air and killing his nephew Eddie. Eric turned around and came up to the accident and started to give first aid to Gene. Eric was able to get a hold of the CHP which had a 45-minute response time. Gene was transported to a local airport by ground ambulance and then flown by air to Las Vegas University Medical Center. A short time later, Gene passed away at the hospital as a result of his injuries.

Newcastle
04-06-2006, 08:34 PM
Sad news indeed.

FreshTracks
04-06-2006, 10:23 PM
I take Rice all the time, however after reading more and more of these stories I think I'm over it. What is the Erenberg route? I'm coming from OC. Thanks.

Good Times!!
04-07-2006, 12:13 AM
As you can tell I am a long time "lurker" on this internet site. I do not post, but decide to read and enjoy.
I found out about what happened this afternoon and spent the rest of the day staring at my computer monitor in disbelief, receiving the information about my friend through email. I wanted to post, but could not come up with the right things to say. During my decision whether to post or not, I found that someone else already posted the preliminary information.
I just left a gathering this evening of friends and coworkers who were celebrating Gene's life, I write this only in honor of "Stuck" as we call him, not only as a Police Officer, but as a friend who will be missed. There are many empty hearts and deep sorrows felt throughout.
Stuck was a friend of mine and it is tragic as to what happened. One could only think that a Police Officer's only worry is to make it home at night after his shift to see his family. Stuck and his wife have no children, although they were trying. Stuck took his nephew to the river to enjoy the week during his nephew's easter break.
Unfortunaltely a tire blew out on the boat trailer as he was returning home. He pulled off to the side of the road to repair the flat tire. A friend who was ahead of him, turned around to render assistance. When his friend returned to his location an elderly gentlemen who was distracted by something (possibly a cell phone) dropping in between the driver and passenger area of his van looked down. His van swerved off the road and struck the trailer/boat and his Suburban. As this happened Stuck tried to pull his nephew to safety.
Unfortunaltely Stuck's nephew was struck by the trailer and killed instantly. Stuck was thrown apporximately 50' and suffered broken legs, a broken pelivs, a punctured lung and other internal injuries.
His friend called 911 and was told there would be a forty-five minute ETA by the CHP. As the CHP responded they came across another fatal accident. This not only diverted the CHP response, but delayed the response of emergency assistance.
Stuck's friend remained with him for over an hour before an air ambulance responded and was able to treat Stuck's injuries. During this time Stuck was concious and alert and asked about his nephew. His friend faced with the fact that Stuck's nephew was dead and the driver of the van was injured reassured Stuck that everything was okay.
When the air ambulance arrived Stuck was treated for his injures. The air ambulance began flying Stuck to University Medical Center in Las Vegas and he passed away in flight due to his injuries.
Stuck will be missed by everyone who every met him. I can only express my deepest gratitude to the CHP and Stuck's department for everything they did to assist his family, friends and fellow coworkers during this tragic event.
Be Safe Out There.

LOWRIVER2
04-07-2006, 01:05 AM
Sorry to hear, my friend works Placentia and I'm told he rode out to the hospital tonight with the wife. Very sad, the uncle and his wife had been together since high school.
God Bless the families and all those affected by this terrible loss.

RiverRatMike
04-07-2006, 01:49 AM
I quit driving Rice Rd. because of all the idiots that drive to fast. Rice Rd. is a little faster than going through Ehrenberg but the highway through Ehrenberg is flat, straight, and a lot less traffic. My families safety is more important than getting to river 20 or 30 minutes sooner.
and max speed limit is 55 mph and lots of Indian police around

Tremor Therapy
04-07-2006, 07:04 AM
There are just no words....my condolences.
I never take Rice Road..daytime, nighttime, towing or not. One of the families killed 2 years ago were friends of friends. I had only met them a couple of times, but even being that close breaks your heart.

4-B
04-07-2006, 08:01 AM
Thanks for the post Good Times. My thoughts are with the families.

unleashed
04-07-2006, 08:06 AM
Wow, this is such a tragedy. My condolences to the family and friends.
Deano

Parker Dreamin
04-07-2006, 08:09 AM
Man that is hard to read. Thoughts and prayers are with everybody involved. My family and I do not drive Rice Rd. any longer, we go through Erinberg everytime, not that it is 100% safe but it is safer with emergency vech. much closer.

Phat Matt
04-07-2006, 08:10 AM
Is Rice Rd that much of a time saver rather than the 40/15 route from the IE?? There are enough side roads through Barstow and stuff to get around the Vegas merge.... but is it really worth playing roulette?? I've only taken the route once and that's all I needed to stick to the 40.... I make it to/from Corona in a little over 3 hours...
You make it from Corona in a little over 3 hours?
It takes me 3.5 making good time from Yucaipa going through Desert Center.

Hardly Satisfied
04-07-2006, 08:12 AM
very sad :cry: sorry to hear

Havasu Cig
04-07-2006, 08:19 AM
I take Rice all the time, however after reading more and more of these stories I think I'm over it. What is the Erenberg route? I'm coming from OC. Thanks.
Stay on the 10 and the Ehrenberg exit is the first one after you cross into AZ. Make a left over the freeway then a right at the intersection. It will drop you off in the south side of Parker by Bradley Chevrolet. You will want to make a left by the Chevy dealer and go towards Parker. As mentioned above there is a lot of L.E. on the road (both Indian and S.O.) so make sure you drive the speed limit. They will sit blacked out on the sides and wait for people speeding so beware.

Throttle
04-07-2006, 08:25 AM
this is a hard way to start the season, thoughts and prayers!

Mr. Pixilated
04-07-2006, 08:26 AM
Sorry to hear...Our prayers go out to all..

LAFD
04-07-2006, 08:39 AM
very sad news and my thoughts and prayers are with the family and friends. i taken rice road and have never had a close call "yet". though i have only been on it a hand full of times i can see how things can get outta hand very quickly if you or anyone else stop payin attention.

Mrs. HOOTER SLED
04-07-2006, 08:51 AM
Our condolences go out to them..........his wife, thechilds family...all of their family and friends!!!!!!

pixilatedpussy
04-07-2006, 08:55 AM
As you can tell I am a long time "lurker" on this internet site. I do not post, but decide to read and enjoy.
I found out about what happened this afternoon and spent the rest of the day staring at my computer monitor in disbelief, receiving the information about my friend through email. I wanted to post, but could not come up with the right things to say. During my decision whether to post or not, I found that someone else already posted the preliminary information.
I just left a gathering this evening of friends and coworkers who were celebrating Gene's life, I write this only in honor of "Stuck" as we call him, not only as a Police Officer, but as a friend who will be missed. There are many empty hearts and deep sorrows felt throughout.
Stuck was a friend of mine and it is tragic as to what happened. One could only think that a Police Officer's only worry is to make it home at night after his shift to see his family. Stuck and his wife have no children, although they were trying. Stuck took his nephew to the river to enjoy the week during his nephew's easter break.
Unfortunaltely a tire blew out on the boat trailer as he was returning home. He pulled off to the side of the road to repair the flat tire. A friend who was ahead of him, turned around to render assistance. When his friend returned to his location an elderly gentlemen who was distracted by something (possibly a cell phone) dropping in between the driver and passenger area of his van looked down. His van swerved off the road and struck the trailer/boat and his Suburban. As this happened Stuck tried to pull his nephew to safety.
Unfortunaltely Stuck's nephew was struck by the trailer and killed instantly. Stuck was thrown apporximately 50' and suffered broken legs, a broken pelivs, a punctured lung and other internal injuries.
His friend called 911 and was told there would be a forty-five minute ETA by the CHP. As the CHP responded they came across another fatal accident. This not only diverted the CHP response, but delayed the response of emergency assistance.
Stuck's friend remained with him for over an hour before an air ambulance responded and was able to treat Stuck's injuries. During this time Stuck was concious and alert and asked about his nephew. His friend faced with the fact that Stuck's nephew was dead and the driver of the van was injured reassured Stuck that everything was okay.
When the air ambulance arrived Stuck was treated for his injures. The air ambulance began flying Stuck to University Medical Center in Las Vegas and he passed away in flight due to his injuries.
Stuck will be missed by everyone who every met him. I can only express my deepest gratitude to the CHP and Stuck's department for everything they did to assist his family, friends and fellow coworkers during this tragic event.
Be Safe Out There.
Well that just did it for me.......... :cry: Hug my kids tight...............and never driver Rice Rd again! So sorry for you loss sweetie. Thoughts & Prayers to all of you involved. Word cannot express my feelings for you all. God Bless.

RAMROD
04-07-2006, 08:58 AM
Wow, sux to hear this stuff ! Prayers to their familes. F'n old people..they're the worst on the roads, they don't pay attention to schit !!
This doesn't solve everything, but I have to agree. My dad is over 70, and scares the daylights out of me when I ride with him. Come to think of it, he always has, it's just worse now. I am on the road alot and honestly have more close calls with older people than with say, teens. Yet another topic, but do any of you think that at a certain age people need to be retested to keep their license? I would guess 65 or 70 and every five years after. It's just so sad to hear of things like this that could have been prevented.

Mrs.Racer277
04-07-2006, 09:00 AM
Thoughts and prayers for all involved.

Cole Trickle
04-07-2006, 09:11 AM
Sad very sad!!
My heart goes out to the family and friends of the parties involved. :cry:
I gave up driving Rice road 2 years ago at night and during busy weekends and now go through Eherenburg(sp).
Like stated above it might take you 15 minutes extra but I am not nearly as tired after the drive. :rollside:

Kokopelli
04-07-2006, 02:25 PM
I attended supervisor school with Stuck, so I was shocked to hear about his death.
My condolences go out to his family, and to the personnel at Placentia PD. Godspeed.

little rowe boat
04-07-2006, 05:37 PM
Amen to that me too.

fasthtm
04-09-2006, 08:24 AM
Terrible and unfortunate news about the death of an officer and his nephew was my first thoughts. Unfortunately I knew Matt Bender the nephew that was killed. He was a very good kid. I knew Matt from working at the snack bar for CGSA (Corona Girls Softball Association). My wife spoke to Matt on Monday and he was saying how excited he was to be going to the lake. To so soon to go!! He was a good kid and will be missed.

Wet Dream
04-09-2006, 08:52 AM
Sorry to hear the news...again

blackcloud75
04-11-2006, 04:51 PM
just found out he was good friends(and neighbor)with my cousin,
services tomorrow....

Kilrtoy
04-11-2006, 05:41 PM
I didnt realize I know STUCKY....
used to play with him in the projects back in the day
Great guy. he will be missed

barbigrl
04-11-2006, 09:51 PM
I travel Rice everytime I go to the river.........too close to home especially since his nephew was from Corona high.... :( What a tragedy...

boatnam2
04-17-2006, 01:04 PM
i was told about it a day after it happened by a trucker at the gas station at rice road.very sad.turned around and took blythe.

Hallett19
04-17-2006, 01:18 PM
Seems like every year there are at least a few accidents, and most include fatalities.... :(

riverroyal
04-18-2006, 06:16 PM
I went out on erinburgh towing last wednesday,and erinburgh home sunday,not towing.Its 9 miles longer,about 20 to 30 minutes longer.But theres places to eat and gas in blythe.Plus no A holes heading home on sundays,tired and hung over.