PDA

View Full Version : Motor Heads Tech Question??????

rustyk
07-20-2004, 06:59 PM
Ok i spoke to Ron Sporal Performance from Louisiana today. He told me that a blown 509-555 range should all have atleast 240 to 245 Duration at .050. This helps eliminate Detonation because you are filling the cylinders with less fuel vapors,Need more fuel in cylinder at time of firing. I have a cam with 234 duration at .050 its brand new from Camotion i hate to buy another one already, I told camotion when we built this motor i wanted a good cam for performance and leisure, this is what they sent me. 234 duration and 594 lift at .050 . Should i bite the bullet and get what he told me to get? Need some help here please tell me what you have and what kind of idle problems you have in gear, if any.Oh yeah what brand of cam is everyone using here?
Thanks
Rusty

plaster dave
07-20-2004, 07:49 PM
sell that shit and move to cali. u redneck ROFL
:D

rustyk
07-20-2004, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by plaster dave
sell that shit and move to cali. u redneck ROFL
:D
Don't listen to this damn fool he's got concrete between his toes.
OUCH! LOL! So much for fungus you got barnicles. LOL!
UH HUH! Pay backs are hell right.
Rusty

07-20-2004, 08:25 PM
"more fuel and less vapors"?....huh? Correct me if I'm wrong but its all vapors that goes into the cylinders....and its the cam that controls that??? I think your engine man needs lessons.:rolleyes: BTW, cam duration is usually checked at .050", not .50" As for the cam it would help to know what you are using the engine for and the type of hull and drive you are using. We need more info.

rustyk
07-20-2004, 08:33 PM
Originally posted by 058
"more fuel and less vapors"?....huh? Correct me if I'm wrong but its all vapors that goes into the cylinders....and its the cam that controls that??? I think your engine man needs lessons.:rolleyes: BTW, cam duration is usually checked at .050", not .50" As for the cam it would help to know what you are using the engine for and the type of hull and drive you are using. We need more info.
26 foot Firehawk (TALON BOTTOM) Cat hull bravo 1 drive for now going to change next,leisure and performance just trying to get around 100mph.
Oh yeah sorry he said more gas period, vapors in cylinders at one time will prevent detonation. Not enough vapors in at time of firing which causes a dry fire, and i tore up four pistons duing this.I learned my lesson.Good fuel no exceptions!

jerry billet
07-21-2004, 06:36 AM
058, I expected you to send him to Duane at Comp Cams.
Hint, Hint

rustyk
07-23-2004, 05:25 AM
Originally posted by rustyk
Ok i spoke to Ron Sporal Performance from Louisiana today. He told me that a blown 509-555 range should all have atleast 240 to 245 Duration at .050. This helps eliminate Detonation because you are filling the cylinders with less fuel vapors,Need more fuel in cylinder at time of firing. I have a cam with 234 duration at .050 its brand new from Camotion i hate to buy another one already, I told camotion when we built this motor i wanted a good cam for performance and leisure, this is what they sent me. 234 duration and 594 lift at .050 . Should i bite the bullet and get what he told me to get? Need some help here please tell me what you have and what kind of idle problems you have in gear, if any.Oh yeah what brand of cam is everyone using here?
Thanks
Rusty
Well all parts order yesterday,building 548cu in with new Bullet cam higher duration and lift not sure on specs but Bullet says have dynoed 540's at 1000 hp with this cam. Thanks
Rusty

lucky
07-23-2004, 05:30 AM
Originally posted by jerry billet
058, I expected you to send him to Duane at Comp Cams.
Hint, Hint
I called comp asking about some valve springs and got duane - He was a nice guy and was really helpful .. seemed like he new something about engines , instead of reading it off a screen ... :D

lucky
07-23-2004, 05:33 AM
I've been on a cam mission - and have been hitt'n the books - so i'm curious .

Infomaniac
07-23-2004, 05:40 AM
My cams for 522-555 CID are lift in the 640's and @.050 duration in the lower 250's and 260's
They peak power at 6k or a little more depending on engine size.
The cam they recommended for you will peak power more in the sterndrive RPM range.
Sometimes a bigger cam will peak power at an RPM higher than you intend to run but will make more power at the RPM that you will run. If that makes any sense.

cstraub
07-23-2004, 05:41 AM
Do what? I've ground a few sticks for blowers and never heard this reasoning. Cam duration is determined by the induction system, CID, and rpm range. If induction is poor, the it only makes sense you will need more duration. All of the blower cams that I do, from Pro 5.0, to 16-71 Truck Pull engines all have shorter duration and moderate to high lift. Blown engines like getting the charge in the cylinder quickly and then shutting the valve. We aren't waiting on pressure drops like a NA engine. They do not like advance in cam timing. Strait up on a 112 or 114 is best. I'd run what you have.
Chris

Infomaniac
07-23-2004, 05:47 AM
Originally posted by cstraub69
Do what? I've ground a few sticks for blowers and never heard this reasoning. Cam duration is determined by the induction system, CID, and rpm range. If induction is poor, the it only makes sense you will need more duration. All of the blower cams that I do, from Pro 5.0, to 16-71 Truck Pull engines all have shorter duration and moderate to high lift. Blown engines like getting the charge in the cylinder quickly and then shutting the valve. We aren't waiting on pressure drops like a NA engine. They do not like advance in cam timing. Strait up on a 112 or 114 is best. I'd run what you have.
Chris
Was this directed at the original post?
I know that my cam is a bit much for those engine as compared to what you provide.
I need to try one of yours Chris. And I will.
It is very hard to get away from something that has worked well for you in the past.

cstraub
07-23-2004, 06:43 AM
Ron, original post. Hey when you are ready try one of my cams that is fine. You haven't been on Hotrodders lately. ..been busy I am sure, Rogers Performance had me grind 2 circle track cams. He is very pleased even after one of them had a lobe and lifter go down. . .damn flat tappets. . .saving grace was Roger's customer was the fastest he had been at the track.
Chris

DogHouse
07-23-2004, 08:42 PM
Unfortunately as soon as you say "bravo", you immediately limit the amount of fun you can have with duration and high rpm. They really need to idle below 900 rpm to shift smoothly. 800 is better. I've backed off to 256/262 @.050, 114 lobe separation on a 598 inch motor and it's still a bit much at idle.

rustyk
07-24-2004, 06:29 AM
Originally posted by DogHouse
Unfortunately as soon as you say "bravo", you immediately limit the amount of fun you can have with duration and high rpm. They really need to idle below 900 rpm to shift smoothly. 800 is better. I've backed off to 256/262 @.050, 114 lobe separation on a 598 inch motor and it's still a bit much at idle.
Doghouse you have a split duration cam? What is your lift? Also split too?
A guy i know told me that comp cams like to produce straight durations and lifts no split combinations is this true Comp Cams if you read this?
Rusty