PDA

View Full Version : WTF.. It's Only April???

Boatcop
04-06-2006, 04:46 PM
From Epress News (http://www.justsaynews.com):
Fatal Boating Accident Hospitalizes Four
LAKE HAVASU CITY, AZ - A boating accident at Site 6 in Lake Havasu has left one person dead. Fire Battalion Chief Don Mesisca says the details are sketchy at this time.
“We had one DOA and four transported to the hospital - three with major injuries.”
The accident occurred when two boats collided just offshore. When officers arrived on the scene, one boat was circling unmanned near the docks, the other is reported to have sunk in the same area. This incident is still under investigation.
Anyone got any info?

Perfect Mixer
04-06-2006, 05:03 PM
Hopefully this isn't an indication as to how this season will be.

cc322
04-06-2006, 05:09 PM
Very sad news but man its becoming the norm latley wtf are people doing to get involved in such horrific accidents?

phebus
04-06-2006, 05:12 PM
Very sad, but wait and see what happens if and when they limit the traffic through the channel. The area around the island, and by site six will become death row. The council needs to wake up! :mad:

GHT
04-06-2006, 05:12 PM
Hopefully this isn't an indication as to how this season will be.
NO Sh1t.... This is not a good start. It just seems you can't be too careful. You have to avoid EVERYONE. People just don't seem to pay attention. I think two things are MAJOR contributors. #1. New boaters that don't heed to boating rules (or don't know them).
#2. They come from lakes that are MUCH less busy and DON'T have to pay as much attention. They don't understand Havasu takes 110% of your knowledge and attention..... :cool:

GHT
04-06-2006, 05:23 PM
I definitly try to avoid each and every boat/pwc at all times. I have a hard time being on the rivers now as it seems like everybody is coming straight at you. I didn't use to feel that way and maybe it is just a by-product of being on the lakes usually.
Might be a by-product of getting OLD.. :crossx: :D
J/K... I feel the same way.. It's almost as if you constantly have to be ready to YANK the wheel....

doesitfloat?
04-06-2006, 06:06 PM
NO Sh1t.... This is not a good start. It just seems you can't be too careful. You have to avoid EVERYONE. People just don't seem to pay attention. I think two things are MAJOR contributors. #1. New boaters that don't heed to boating rules (or don't know them).
#2. They come from lakes that are MUCH less busy and DON'T have to pay as much attention. They don't understand Havasu takes 110% of your knowledge and attention..... :cool:
#3. ALCOHOL

GHT
04-06-2006, 06:07 PM
#3. ALCOHOL
Yep.. Your right...

Riverat84
04-06-2006, 06:08 PM
No escape route it seems. Just have to trust the other driver...F THAT!
just like on the focking roads....you'd like to trust them, but in REALITY! you cant trust no one roads or water....its scary, and i havent even been on the lake w/ my boat, just the strip....keep those heads on a swivel guys.
Reid

RP1
04-06-2006, 06:11 PM
You forgot about swingers that are to busy hitting on girlfriends to pay attention to the waterways :D

ASM22
04-06-2006, 06:11 PM
If anyone gets details post em up...

GHT
04-06-2006, 06:28 PM
You forgot about swingers that are to busy hitting on girlfriends to pay attention to the waterways :D
I really try to keep away from this one.... :rolleyes:

04-06-2006, 06:28 PM
Most people don't even know that there is a 35 MPH speed limit in the channel by Site Six. Definitely not the place to be making any high speed runs! All it takes it something like this and the City Council gets more ammunition against us.
Bless the families...
----Rob

Kilrtoy
04-06-2006, 06:35 PM
#3. ALCOHOL
NO ONE from ***boat would ever drink and drive :rolleyes:

Kachina26
04-06-2006, 06:37 PM
Most people don't even know that there is a 35 MPH speed limit in the channel by Site Six. Definitely not the place to be making any high speed runs! All it takes it something like this and the City Council gets more ammunition against us.
Bless the families...
----Rob
Certainly not the place for a speed run, but I'm not aware of a speed limit through there. BC?????

Kilrtoy
04-06-2006, 06:37 PM
Bless the families...
----Rob
There is????????
i have never seen the signs, I guess I better look harder

Phat Matt
04-06-2006, 06:40 PM
Bless the families...
----Rob
Where does it say 35 and what part exactly is the channel? There is nothing marked there.

Boatcop
04-06-2006, 06:40 PM
Certainly not the place for a speed run, but I'm not aware of a speed limit through there. BC?????
"No Wake" in the Site Six Lagoon, but no speed limit in the channel between the point and the California shore...........
........yet!

Kilrtoy
04-06-2006, 06:42 PM
"No Wake" in the Site Six Lagoon, but no speed limit in the channel between the point and the California shore...........
........yet!
Ok, im glad Im not missing the signs....

GHT
04-06-2006, 06:44 PM
Ok, im glad Im not missing the signs....
Me too. I was running 50 mph through there last time we where in Havi..

Wake Havasu
04-06-2006, 07:25 PM
........yet!
I pray all the “reports” are wrong and no one was hurt by a large boat going at a high rate of speed.

burtandnancy
04-06-2006, 09:03 PM
I think there are two threads started on this

Phat Matt
04-06-2006, 09:29 PM
One killed in crash off Site Six
By David Bell
Thursday, April 6, 2006 11:19 PM MDT
http://www.havasunews.com/content/articles/2006/04/07/news/news02.jpg
News-Herald Photo/L.J. Frink A Mohave County Sheriff's deputy and three Lake Havasu City firefighters carry one of the victims from a pontoon boat at the Site Six docks to a waiting ambulance Thursday afternoon.
A 14-year-old boy was killed and four others were severely injured in a two-boat collision on Lake Havasu Thursday.
Mohave County Sheriff's officials said the accident occurred around 3:40 p.m. about 50-100 yards offshore, just northwest of the handicap fishing dock at Site Six on the Island. Investigation into the cause of the crash is ongoing.
“To my knowledge all males were involved,” said Sheriff's Lt. Randy Johnson. “The 14-year-old was deceased at the scene. As I understand it, the father was on board the boat and is being treated for his injuries at this time.”
Identities of the victims are being withheld pending the investigation and notification of next-of-kin.
Early reports indicate that three people, including the boy and his father, were on a Sleekcraft boat while the other two victims were on a bass boat. The two watercraft were traveling toward each other at an unknown rate of speed prior to the crash, however exact nature of the crash is unknown as the Sleekcraft sunk following the collision. Salvage operations were ongoing as Today's News-Herald went to press.
“There were a couple of boats in the area and they got (the victims) on board their watercraft and got them in,” said Johnson.
Lake Havasu City Fire Department dispatched one ladder truck and two engines with 10 firefighters and one battalion chief to initiate emergency medical treatment. All victims were transported to Havasu Regional Medical Center.
Lake Havasu City Police, San Bernardino County Sheriff's Office and U.S Fish and Wildlife also assisted the eight Mohave County Sheriff's personnel investigating the incident.
It was the second death on Lake Havasu in 2006. On February 16, a 67-year-old California woman died when her watercraft crashed into the shore.

04-06-2006, 10:34 PM
Very sad for all involved.
As for the speed limit, I heard it at our regatta, that there were a number of 35 MPH zones on the lake and none of us were aware of them. They all were technically on the CA side. The only one I remembered was Site Six because I've gone bonzai passed there several times on the way to Topoc. Maybe it was told to the regatta group for safety reasons?
Either way, in retrospect it is a bad place to be flying by with all the small crafts coming out of coves in a relatively small channel.

JetBoatRich
04-07-2006, 03:26 AM
Just Horrible News :yuk:

purrfecttremor
04-07-2006, 03:33 AM
No shit!!!!!!! Very sad indeed.

Phat Matt
04-07-2006, 08:03 AM
Very sad for all involved.
As for the speed limit, I heard it at our regatta, that there were a number of 35 MPH zones on the lake and none of us were aware of them. They all were technically on the CA side. The only one I remembered was Site Six because I've gone bonzai passed there several times on the way to Topoc. Maybe it was told to the regatta group for safety reasons?
Either way, in retrospect it is a bad place to be flying by with all the small crafts coming out of coves in a relatively small channel.
For them to enforce a limit it would have to be posted I would think, which it isn't. They probably just said that for the regatta.

havasu5150
04-07-2006, 08:19 AM
I was at Havi last Monday. As I headed south around the island, the area just outside of the bouys at Site 6 was VERY conjested w/ boats. It appeared that something may have happened then, or perhaps Site 6 is getting real busy due to noise enforcement..... Again this was on a Monday....am. Lake traffic in general was very light. Be careful!

BADAXE
04-07-2006, 08:26 AM
One killed in crash off Site Six
By David Bell
Thursday, April 6, 2006 11:19 PM MDT
http://www.havasunews.com/content/articles/2006/04/07/news/news02.jpg
Early reports indicate that three people, including the boy and his father, were on a Sleekcraft boat while the other two victims were on a bass boat. The two watercraft were traveling toward each other at an unknown rate of speed prior to the crash, however exact nature of the crash is unknown as the Sleekcraft sunk following the collision.
If people would just follow the counter clockwise traffic pattern many of these cases would not happen. If this happened that close to shore then someone was going against the flow of traffic. All you newbee's should always keep to the right. I've seen it happen many times I've been at Havasu, people coming out of site six and heading straight for thompson bay along the shore line of the island instead of going out to the south shore line then heading east toward the bay. It takes another minute or two but would save a few lives. Bottom line: if the shore is closer to the left side of your boat than the right side, YOU'RE GOING THE WRONG WAY IDIOT!!!!

Her454
04-07-2006, 08:28 AM
I definitly try to avoid each and every boat/pwc at all times. I have a hard time being on the rivers now as it seems like everybody is coming straight at you. I didn't use to feel that way and maybe it is just a by-product of being on the lakes usually.
I feel the same way. I feel trapped with no where to go sometimes, especially its coming around a turn out in the sloughs somewhere. I love the river, but feel much safer with the openess of the lake.

Tom Brown
04-07-2006, 08:30 AM
Me too. I was running 50 mph through there last time we where in Havi..
... with your hands off the wheel, taking a pull from a beer bong. :D
How many people won't believe alcohol really impares their ability to operate a vehicle until they hurt someone badly or worse and then think... gee... I guess I was wrong... It's too bad my fock up cost those people their lives.

Throttle
04-07-2006, 08:34 AM
the prayer list is growing to fast...
c'mon gang lets keep it safe around here...

BADAXE
04-07-2006, 08:36 AM
For them to enforce a limit it would have to be posted I would think, which it isn't.
Really? when was the last time you saw a speed limit sign posted on any lake? (besides a no wake bouy)

gmocnik
04-07-2006, 08:55 AM
If people would just follow the counter clockwise traffic pattern many of these cases would not happen. If this happened that close to shore then someone was going against the flow of traffic. All you newbee's should always keep to the right. I've seen it happen many times I've been at Havasu, people coming out of site six and heading straight for thompson bay along the shore line of the island instead of going out to the south shore line then heading east toward the bay. It takes another minute or two but would save a few lives. Bottom line: if the shore is closer to the left side of your boat than the right side, YOU'RE GOING THE WRONG WAY IDIOT!!!!
This is the one that gets me every time. i would say without exception, every time i head north past site six some idiot is inside of me coming around the island. with boats hovering outside of site six and idiots not observing traffic patterns, this area is probably the most dangerous on the lake. i sure see alot of le busting kids in copper canyon or in the channel for flashing boobies but i don't think i have ever seen le just hanging around this area busting idiots for driving the wrong way. seems that saving lives would be more a priority. but what do i know...

Havasu_Dreamin
04-07-2006, 09:21 AM
Counter-clockwise rotation and at least 100 feet separation if possible.

Phat Matt
04-07-2006, 09:40 AM
Really? when was the last time you saw a speed limit sign posted on any lake? (besides a no wake bouy)
Let me clarify. In that specific area. Lakes that are all 35 mph are usually posted before you launch.
Nothing is posted in that area besides the no wake zone.

Laveyman
04-07-2006, 10:11 AM
My condolences to the families. Very, very, sad!!! :frown:

NorCalCat
04-07-2006, 10:43 AM
I have only been to Havasu a handfull of times. Where is Site 6?

SummitKarl
04-07-2006, 11:05 AM
From Epress News (http://www.justsaynews.com):
Fatal Boating Accident Hospitalizes Four
LAKE HAVASU CITY, AZ - A boating accident at Site 6 in Lake Havasu has left one person dead. Fire Battalion Chief Don Mesisca says the details are sketchy at this time.
“We had one DOA and four transported to the hospital - three with major injuries.”
The accident occurred when two boats collided just offshore. When officers arrived on the scene, one boat was circling unmanned near the docks, the other is reported to have sunk in the same area. This incident is still under investigation.
Anyone got any info?
very sad, but it doesn't suprise me, went out yesterday to test the boat had one guy coming head on, I verred off, he turned right into me, I had to flip the boat into a hard 180. and he just looked and waved like nothing was wrong..... :mad: :rolleyes:
if that wasnt enough, loading at the ramp (it's empty mind you) no one but my truck on a 6 wide ramp, this WOMAN decides that she was going to use the slot my truck was already in, she just started backing into the ramp, if it wasn't for BIGDOUG screaming at the top of his lungs, she wouldn't have stopped, BigDoug got her to stop only about 1' from backing her trailer under my truck....WTF THERE WERE 5 OTHER LANES OPEN :mad:
sorry for the rant but some people just SHOULD NOT OWN BOATS :rolleyes:
DAMN and this was a Thursday evening

Phat Matt
04-07-2006, 11:09 AM
I have only been to Havasu a handfull of times. Where is Site 6?
On the end of the island.

UncleLarry
04-07-2006, 11:31 AM
When we hold an event on Lake Havasu the Coast Guard Issues a Permit.. Their are stiulations we must follow.. I asked the Coast Guard if these are rules that are in effect all the time - their answer was.. "We recommend that boaters always follows these guidelines"
Shall Maintain a safe and prudent speed not to exceed 50 mph in the following locations....
Spectator Point to Site Six
Pilot Rock to Steamboat Cove.
Shall Maintain a safe and prudent speed not to exceed 50 MPH with 200 yards of the followig locations.
Copper Canyon
Black Meado Landing
Sand Pt and Cattail Cove
Havasu Springs
Havasu Landing

JB in so cal
04-07-2006, 11:35 AM
When we hold an event on Lake Havasu the Coast Guard Issues a Permit.. Their are stiulations we must follow.. I asked the Coast Guard if these are rules that are in effect all the time - their answer was.. "We recommend that boaters always follows these guidelines"
Shall Maintain a safe and prudent speed not to exceed 50 mph in the following locations....
Spectator Point to Site Six
Pilot Rock to Steamboat Cove.
Shall Maintain a safe and prudent speed not to exceed 50 MPH with 200 yards of the followig locations.
Copper Canyon
Black Meado Landing
Sand Pt and Cattail Cove
Havasu Springs
Havasu Landing
Shit. PWC are 20 feet from the beach at BML and going 50mph...

RiverDave
04-07-2006, 11:53 AM
........yet!
I'm a little curious to see how that works out. I don't know the area that people are talking about, but I gotta wonder if this "narrow" area is any wider then most of Parker Strip (I'm guessing not) if they put a limit on that, then what's to stop them from putting a limit on Parker?
RD

Tom Brown
04-07-2006, 12:32 PM
...if this "narrow" area is any wider then most of Parker Strip (I'm guessing not) if they put a limit on that, then what's to stop them from putting a limit on Parker?
I think they should. That place is dangerous. The entire strip needs to be a no wake zone.
..... with a 0.00% BAC limit. :D

Phat Matt
04-07-2006, 01:49 PM
I'm a little curious to see how that works out. I don't know the area that people are talking about, but I gotta wonder if this "narrow" area is any wider then most of Parker Strip (I'm guessing not) if they put a limit on that, then what's to stop them from putting a limit on Parker?
RD
This area is probably wider than the strip.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/1524Havasu-site_6.jpg

MrsMathWiz
04-07-2006, 07:39 PM
My husband's buddies were the two guys in the bass boat. They are safe (thank you God!). It is terrible that someone had to die - especially someone so young.
Both men were released from the hospital and are on their way home to So. California. Their bass club is out there this weekend for a tournament.
This accident may have been a case of not knowing boating rules. All of the bass club has had training on boating safety but when this boat started coming at the bass boat my husband's friend veered right to pass but the Sleekcraft started to veer to the left (when he should have passed on the right) so the driver of the bass boat thought he better turn the other way too & when he did the other boat turned back to the right too and they went back and forth (I'm not sure how many times) until it was too late. Such a bummer. Maybe the guy on the Sleekcraft just wasn't paying attention and started to veer left without realizing. We don't know yet. But if boating rules were followed, this accident probably wouldn't have happened.
As far as my husband said, the two drivers did have eye contact although I'm not sure how close they were at the time the Sleekcraft saw the bassboat. He didn't ask how fast they were going but if I get the details I'll post.
Please...pay attention, know the rules and have fun safely.

purrfecttremor
04-07-2006, 08:57 PM
I hope the city council takes this into consideration when they talk about making the channel one way tuesday.The traffic around the island is already very busy and making it one way will make it alot worse.This may be the wrong time to say this but all my friends call the area in front of site 6 blood alley for good reason.

Ziggy
04-08-2006, 12:57 AM
RDI think its less that the area is narrow than it is the fact there are multiple boats going in multiple directions coming and leaving the ramp area and the various coves on either side of this "narrow" section.
I'll be interested to see who's boat was not truely following the counter-clockwise rule more prudently in this instance.
To have a 14 yr old perrish along with serious injuries of others is generally due to someones poor judgement or ignorance....
Prayers to the familes of those whose hearts have been crushed :cry:

shueman
04-08-2006, 04:45 AM
So sad.....interesting that the operators of the vessels veered left & right rather than BACKING OFF THE THROTTLE..... :frown:
The names were released today:
LAKE HAVASU CITY, AZ - A teenager from Tenino, Washington was killed in a two-boat collision on Lake Havasu late yesterday afternoon. The boy has been identified as 14-year old Malachi Chance. Four adult males were also injured when the two vessels collided. Sheriff's Department spokeswoman Trish Carter says alcohol and drugs do not appear to be a factor. However, the investigation is ongoing.
“The salvage company has located the sleek craft boat,” said Carter.
“It will be removed today from the water.”
Richard Hubner, 43, of Olympia, Washington and 19-year old Jordan Gaken of Lake Havasu City, who were aboard the sleek craft with the deceased, were transported to University Medical Center in Las Vegas with serious injuries. John Barnes, 66, of Moreno Valley, California and 47-year-old Steve Ellis of Fontana, California, who were both aboard the second boat were taken to Havasu Regional Medical Center, then treated and released.
The cause of the collision is not yet unknown. The incident remains under investigation by the Mohave County Sheriffs Office.

Big Warlock
04-08-2006, 04:49 AM
too many people and not enough required education in boating. As a point, there is a point in the dance that you back off the THROTTLES!!!! Boating is a two dimensional (sp?) sport. Many, many times in the river with my smaller boat or on the lake or ocean, I have pulled back the throttles and been upset with the other party for stupidity, but stopped something before it got out of hand.
No one can say what happened here. Horrible accident and my heart goes out to the families.
The worst and most dangerous events seem to happen on the river itself with Personal Watercraft. People rent them with absolutely no knowledge of boating nor respect for larger craft THAT CAN KILL THEM!!!! How many times has one of us been tooling along with our friends and families and a jetski / Sea Doo comes flying out of no place with a teenager on board? Better yet, I have had them pass me while doing a calm cruise at 50 mph only to have them suddenly stop right in front of me to fix their hair!!! I am surprised it isn't worse. Havasu is bad just from the volume of people. I do not drink and boat. Alcohol is a huge factor. I am far from being a drunk, period. But in the event of an accident, some idiot will go after everything you have on the legal theory of partial blame. Happens at work all the time.
Off my soapbox! :argue:
Rob

shueman
04-08-2006, 05:05 AM
We love to fish off the Site Six piers. We like to get there just before sundown and fish into the late evening. Good small striper action for the kids.
On Friday & especially Saturday nights, the area is FULL OF BOATS waiting to get back on the trailer well into the night; it's doesn't thin out until after 9p-10p. I would say easily 40-50 vessels at any one time, moving around at idle or just floating. It so crowded that the boats push out beyond the "no-wake" bouys.
While it's fun to come down and watch the follies, it is a VERY DANGEROUS area on the water. Boats going in, going out, boats passing the area at high speed IN BETWEEN boats floating out in the lake waiting to retrieve.....AFTER DARK..... :220v:
Just because it's free doesn't mean it's safe. I have personally witnessed several accidents that resulted in minor injuries. Something needs to be done.

Roaddogg 4040
04-08-2006, 09:20 AM
I am very sorry for the death of anyone in this case but in response to the wife of one of the victms that explaned what happened when the two drivers saw each other, they kept turning in different directions. Why dosn't anyone ever think to just stop their boat. You just don't have to keep ziz zaging back and forth, you can just stop and avoid this type of accident!
Steve

Ziggy
04-08-2006, 01:16 PM
I am very sorry for the death of anyone in this case but in response to the wife of one of the victms that explaned what happened when the two drivers saw each other, they kept turning in different directions. Why dosn't anyone ever think to just stop their boat. You just don't have to keep ziz zaging back and forth, you can just stop and avoid this type of accident!
Steve
Game of chicken and ego's of "I'm not gonna back down first"......numerous other accidents happen exactly the same way....like the one last year near the south end of the lake.
Ego or not I have the sense to make and keep large space between any vessel I pass or cross paths with, my family depends on my driving to bring them home after a great day on the water

Wet Dream
04-08-2006, 01:53 PM
There seems to be alot of people talking about a 35 mph speed limit in the area. Not one report mentioned high speed as a factor. Does anyone here have a clue what happens when 2 boats hit each other head on at 35mph? Its the impact of something similar to a 70 mph head on into a wall, but your body is still travelling 35. Granted, they probably did not hit nose to nose, so so a lot of factors come into play. Extremely sad, but it appears to be driver error.

Harley5229
04-08-2006, 09:03 PM
This was in the Seattle news yesterday - sad for all families involved.
'He Was Our Baby'
April 7, 2006
By KOMO Staff & News Services
TENINO, WASH. - It was supposed to be the vacation of a lifetime, but a 14-year-old from Tenino was killed and four other people injured when two boats collided on Lake Havasu in Arizona.
The Mohave County sheriff's office says the teen, Malachi Chace, died Thursday at the scene, more than 50 yards off shore.
Two of the injured, 43-year-old Richard Huebner of Olympia and 19-year-old Jordan Gaken of Aberdeen, were airlifted to a hospital in Las Vegas with serious injuries.
Malachi's aunt, Denice Heiser, said the teen went to the lake with family friends for his spring break vacation. "He had been looking forward to it for a long time," she said. "He was a very special boy, he was our baby."
His grandmother, Theresa Chance, said Malachi was his mother's pride and joy and her only son. "She's having a real hard time with all of this," Theresa said. "It's just so devastating. You never expect it."
On top of the grief of losing a young son, the family has been told it will cost $6,000 to bring Malachi's body back to Washington. It's money they don't have.
The family has set up a memorial fund in Malachi's name to help raise money to bring him home. Donations can be at any Venture bank.
"We need to bring our baby home," said Denice. "That's what we want."