PDA

View Full Version : Out of the Water!

rposton1
07-21-2004, 10:07 AM
How long can you run a 502 with no water running thru it, just ran it 40 seconds, hope that didnt hurt it.....Rob

Havasu Hangin'
07-21-2004, 10:09 AM
It hurt.
Impellers are cheap...engines aren't.

Havasu_Dreamin
07-21-2004, 10:09 AM
You should never run a engine without water running through it as you can damage the impeller among other things. You may not have damaged it but without looking at it there is really no way to tell. Go buy the ear muffs if you want to run the motor while on the trailer.

ADDICTED
07-21-2004, 10:12 AM
I would assume if the temp did not get to high the only problem you have caused or will cause is the water impeller to fail or fail sooner then it would have.

gramps
07-21-2004, 10:17 AM
I would say that 40 seconds on the motor itself in no problem, if there was "static" water in the water jackets.............as far as the pump goes.....that can be a different matter.

Ducatista
07-21-2004, 10:24 AM
Well if you didn't ruin the impeller, you put 6 months of wear on it. Run it with a flush kit and watch your temp gauge. Even if she runs normal, I would recomend replacing it anyway.

rposton1
07-21-2004, 10:24 AM
Ouch! anyway to tell if pump was damaged or not. Rob:frown:

dicudmore
07-21-2004, 10:25 AM
I think I remember him having a jet boat....
You're probably ok, but that seems a little long

rposton1
07-21-2004, 10:31 AM
Yeah I have a jet boat, well I hope its still a jet boat.:frown: ...>Rob

Havasu Hangin'
07-21-2004, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by rposton1
Ouch! anyway to tell if pump was damaged or not. Rob:frown:
The pump was not damaged.
However...that little rubber impellor is probably toast. Cheap insurance to change it.

rposton1
07-21-2004, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by Havasu Hangin'
The pump was not damaged.
However...that little rubber impellor is probably toast. Cheap insurance to change it.
How hard is that to change out?....Rob

HavasuDreamin'
07-21-2004, 10:48 AM
If you have a jet pump, you are putting miles on your wear ring. If you have an outdrive, the water impeller may be toast, or at least has more wear on it. The only way to tell with an outdrive is to pull the lower unit. :cool:

Havasu Hangin'
07-21-2004, 10:49 AM
Jet?
Nevermind. Carry on. My bad.

rposton1
07-21-2004, 10:52 AM
yeah its a jet, man I feel bad:frown: ...thanks all for your help, your all great

riverbound
07-21-2004, 10:54 AM
If its a jet you dont have to worry about it. But It is always better to run water through the motor.

RiverDave
07-21-2004, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by ADDICTED
I would assume if the temp did not get to high the only problem you have caused or will cause is the water impeller to fail or fail sooner then it would have.
How is he going to know the temp of the engine when the temp guage will not read accurately with zero water pressure? (Or better yet zero water)
RD

BADBLOWN572
07-21-2004, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by RiverDave
How is he going to know the temp of the engine when the temp guage will not read accurately with zero water pressure? (Or better yet zero water)
RD
He will know the first time he puts it in the water. Always check to confirm that water is coming out of the pipes and closely watch your temp gage. Chances are 40 seconds, you probably did some damage, but the question is how much. You will know within the first 30 seconds of it being in the water. If you don't have any water coming out of the pipes, you have fried your impeller and will need to replace it. If your temp gauge rises quickly, you will also know. Usually there is enough water left in the jackets of the motor to get a fairly accurate temp reading. If new water pressure is not pushing the water through the jackets it will heat up very quick. Just as a safeguard, I would replace the impeller anyways because a $50 part is a lot easier to change at home versus in the 110 degree heat at the river. Also talk about a bad way to start the weekend.

HavasuDreamin'
07-21-2004, 11:25 AM
Guys..........JET BOAT!

Jdbuck
07-21-2004, 11:25 AM
As a side note to this topic, a buddy of mine suggested before you connect your rabbit ears to the outdrive, put a little liquid (palmolive, joy, whatever) dish soap in the end where the ears connect to the hose. Then turn on the water and start the engine. The soap will flow through the impellar like a lubricant and add life to the impellar. He swears by it!
We he services his boat at Alco, they cannot believe what good condition it is in. I've started doing that this year, so we will see how good of idea that really is.....:D

rposton1
07-21-2004, 11:38 AM
....QUOTE]Originally posted by HavasuDreamin'
Guys..........JET BOAT! [/QUOTE]
I'm still learning alot hehe someday I may have a boat with a prop:) :) Robert

rivercrazy
07-21-2004, 12:10 PM
There are two things to look for after that run. The impeller to wear ring clearance (water acts as a lube even though the clearances probably are enough not to make contact). The bigger concern is the rubber exhaust hoses. They are designed to run wet and running em dry for any length of time is hard on them. If you get a crack or burn a hole in them, your boat could sink pretty fast (assuming your exhaust tips are below the water line).....

lucky
07-21-2004, 12:29 PM
LET ME HELP YA HERE
YOU HAVE A JET - EVERY TIME ( TO ENSURE MAXIMUNM LIFE IN A BERKLEY ) simple steps
two lil " plastic , square headed caps on the back of your bowl - take both out and fill with 90wt gear oil( till it comes out the other side ) every time you put it in the water -- what this does is flushes all the water that blows by the seal ( common ) and gives fresh lube for your bearing in the back - most people just run the piss out of their stuff , not knowing how to take care of it and avoid problems -
step #2 go to the inside of boat and look at the top of the jet by the shaft seal - ( packing ) there is a zerk fitting - Put one pump of grease ( i use redline synthic ) about every third time i take out boats ( when i had the jet- gave it to my pops )
this should become a ritual of yours
next - you can run a jet dry for no more than 30 seconds - what happens is you will eat up your packing - ( if you look at your jet its the rope like stuff wrapped around the shaft - i
also make sure your inspection cover is tight - and where the water out put is ( from jet to engine ) make sure that it is a pipe with a ball valve .. if it is rubber hose then valve then hose again - change it immediatly as this will bite you in the azz ( valve creates excess pressure and hose from pump to valve blows , boat fills up with water very fast .. i don't recomend the ball valve for temp controll - only for safty ...
when you get a ski rope stuck in the jet ( it happens ) take your boat to the trailer put it on - take the keys out of the ignition - remove inspection cover and remove remenents of rope - and also under neath the boat from the grate . do not remove cover when boat is in water - NEVER
another key to keeping your jet boat realiable - isssss always double nut your steering cable - but do not tighten cable tight to the tiller arm - check and leave your rudder on ! ohh if you break your reverse cable on the river , simply - tie it open it will get you home ... sincer your new - go threw and tighten all loose bolts in you toy - have a great boating experience ;)

rposton1
07-21-2004, 01:35 PM
Awesome Info, thanks alot I will do those things for sure....Rob

BoatFloating
07-21-2004, 03:32 PM
I might have a dumb question??? Why was it running for 40 seconds out of the water?:(

rposton1
07-21-2004, 03:59 PM
Tring to refill the preluber took a little longer than I thought it would, I just installed it so I wanted to test it before my river trip....Rob

dicudmore
07-21-2004, 04:07 PM
Rob I think you should take a day off, go down to the lake and try her out, just to be sure ;)

rposton1
07-21-2004, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by dicudmore
Rob I think you should take a day off, go down to the lake and try her out, just to be sure ;)
Yeah that would be nice hehe.....Rob;)

77Eliminator
07-21-2004, 06:40 PM
I would not be to concerned about 40 seconds on the the motor but I would replace the impeller. If the impeller is damaged it could break up and pieces of the impeller could get stuck in your heads and block the flow. Now you have a motor problem. The voice of experience.

73kona455
07-21-2004, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by 77Eliminator
I would not be to concerned about 40 seconds on the the motor but I would replace the impeller. If the impeller is damaged it could break up and pieces of the impeller could get stuck in your heads and block the flow. Now you have a motor problem. The voice of experience.
its a jet......this is not a problem

rposton1
07-21-2004, 08:27 PM
Thanks alot I feel alot better now :)