PDA

View Full Version : On-board charger

phebus
07-22-2004, 07:24 AM
I am getting tired of hooking up a charger at the end of each day, and would like to add an on board charger that all I have to do is plug the boat in at the end of the day. Any reccomendations on what unit to get?
Also, what would be the best way to wire it in to charge all batteries at once. I would think if I wired it to the "all" terminal on the Perko switch, and the other lead to ground it would do it.
This would be to charge either 3 or 4 Optima 12v's.
Thanks

gramps
07-22-2004, 07:27 AM
this "place" has the hot setup...............I know several peeps that use their systems, I do also, they work GREAT
www.dualpro.com

Dr. Eagle
07-22-2004, 07:37 AM
This is the one I had on my Eliminator:
Dual Channel (http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10001&langId=-1&catalogId=10001&classNum=683&subdeptNum=544&storeNum=9&productId=123658)
This is the one (wrong picture, but right price) I have on the Ultra:
Single Channel (http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10001&langId=-1&catalogId=10001&productId=27385&catalogId=10001&classNum=683&subdeptNum=544&storeNum=9)

ACCEPTENCE
07-22-2004, 07:50 AM
I'm confused here.
I'm guessing it's not a charging problem.
Is this a running the stereo all day thing?
Whats the deal with having to charge the batteries, precaution, maintenance, what gives?

phebus
07-22-2004, 07:59 AM
With a big stereo system, the alternator cannot keep up with the demands placed on the system. Charging at night not only brings the batteries to a full state of charge, but also allows a full service life. Storing batteries in a discharged state shortens battery life.

Magic34
07-22-2004, 08:01 AM
I used the 3 bank 30 amp Minnkota charger. Fully waterproof and fully automatic.

Dr. Eagle
07-22-2004, 08:02 AM
Originally posted by phebus
Storing batteries in a discharged state shortens battery life.
That is why I always plug mine into the charger... regardless of charge state.
The charger maintainer will keep it charged without overcharging and gassing the batteries

phebus
07-22-2004, 08:06 AM
What is the advantage of going with a multi bank charger, rather than hooking up to the "all" terminal and charging as one bank? I don't understand all the specifics.

gramps
07-22-2004, 08:06 AM
how many batteries are you running? if you get a chance look at the way a bass boat is set up. usally there are 3 or 4 batteries. one for the motor and 2 or 3 for the trolling motor. The dual pro system is basically a "computerized switch" that once your main battery is charged it will send the current to the other batteries. They also have "on board" chargers that you just run a power cord to and plug in, I have both systems on my boat and have run 10+ days on Powell and haven't had to plug into an outside power source.

gramps
07-22-2004, 08:09 AM
What is the advantage of going with a multi bank charger, rather than hooking up to the "all" terminal and charging as one bank? I don't understand all the specifics.
the multi bank system only charges what batteries that need charging also you can keep it pluged in when the boat is on the trailer and it keeps all the batteries in prome condition. whenever my boat is not in the water i'ts plugged in so I never have to worry about the batteries.

phebus
07-22-2004, 08:09 AM
My system has one battery to the numbr one position on the Perko switch for engine starting, and two batteries to the number two position for running everything else. The way it is wired either position will do everything, but I switch it to the two position while sitting to preserve the starting battery.

gramps
07-22-2004, 08:13 AM
if I were you I'd call Dual Pro (check their site for the #). They are VERY GOOD at listening and excellent at coming up with the proper way of setting up the batteries.

ACCEPTENCE
07-22-2004, 08:17 AM
Originally posted by phebus
With a big stereo system, the alternator cannot keep up with the demands placed on the system. Charging at night not only brings the batteries to a full state of charge, but also allows a full service life. Storing batteries in a discharged state shortens battery life.
Hummmm,
I've never considered it, but now ya got me thinkin. Thanks.

phebus
07-22-2004, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by gramps
if I were you I'd call Dual Pro (check their site for the #). They are VERY GOOD at listening and excellent at coming up with the proper way of setting up the batteries.
Called and spoke with the folks at Dual pro. Very helpfull. The only problem was the charger they reccomended (three bank pro charger) is $389.95. I think I will check out my options before buying.

gramps
07-22-2004, 10:09 AM
phebus
check your pm