PDA

View Full Version : Boat crash in Havasu?

ASM22
04-06-2006, 05:50 PM
I saw the CRC MTI cat out in havasu today doing some speed passes and i just heard that a "Offshore Cat" ran over some fishermen and killed one... Does anyone have anymore info on this?? Post Up...

GHT
04-06-2006, 05:53 PM
I saw the CRC MTI cat out in havasu today doing some speed passes and i just heard that a "Offshore Cat" ran over some fishermen and killed one... Does anyone have anymore info on this?? Post Up...
There is a thread started about a boat accident.. "It's only April" (or something like that). Sounds like the same.. Not good...

lalhc
04-06-2006, 06:06 PM
I just got off the water and didn't see or hear anything. I did see a couple big boats cruising 100+ mph.

ASM22
04-06-2006, 06:13 PM
If its the boat that i think it was, it was making passes at 150+... APBA supercat national champion last year...

hotsand65
04-06-2006, 06:29 PM
Damn, I hate to hear that!!!!!!!!

GHT
04-06-2006, 06:31 PM
? how long does it take one of those big cats to hit 150 mph+
The real question is does anyone REALLY know how long it takes one to stop?? Maybe only the driver but not all the other boats..

burtandnancy
04-06-2006, 06:32 PM
t & b, it doesn't take one of those cats very long to go 0 - 150 but it takes a very long time for one to go 150 - 0

Boatcop
04-06-2006, 06:32 PM
? how long does it take one of those big cats to hit 150 mph+
Better question would be:
How long does it take to stop from 150 MPH+?

purrfecttremor
04-06-2006, 06:33 PM
Sure get tired of hearing this stuff! Our prayers go out to those involved and their familys and please be carfull everyone its tough out there anymore with all the faster boats and all the newbes!!!

ASM22
04-06-2006, 06:34 PM
i think everyone is gonna answer that the same way... damn shame...

burtandnancy
04-06-2006, 06:34 PM
This is just starting. Its going to be a long nite. Lets hope its not what appears above...

ADDICTED
04-06-2006, 07:01 PM
Before we start talking about how unsafe a big boat is, does anyone know for sure if it was a boat doing a 150? Was it the MTI?

mbrown2
04-06-2006, 07:06 PM
Who knows what happended? No details, but people are saying 150......damn,this place is never short on rumor and speculation...

ADDICTED
04-06-2006, 07:12 PM
just asking a ? :cool: i rather be in a big boat :)
Couldn't agree with you more! :)
The only thing I dont understand is on a major holiday all the hot wild chicks are on a rental pontoon. Then all the big bad ass boats are a suasage fest :cry:

RiverPirate
04-06-2006, 07:37 PM
My wife was in the ER with our daughter when the ambulances started arriving. She was quite concerned as we had family and friends on the water today. The information she got from the ER and apparent family members who arrived later was two boats collided near Site 6. No children on board, 7-8 people involved, all males 20-50 years old. Double fatality, one drowning at the scene, one passed in the ER, two others in critical condition with severe back injuries. It probably occured between 3 and 4:00pm? Very sad news and there were not a lot of boats on the water. :frown:

ASM22
04-06-2006, 07:38 PM
Dont know what speed he was going or if it was the MTI? I work in the boat industry and heard from a realiable source the the boat involved was an "offshore race boat" and i know the mti was out there running pretty hard at about the same time this went down.. once again i am also just trying to get info...

Charley
04-06-2006, 07:39 PM
from a reliable source, CRC was NOT involved....

phebus
04-06-2006, 07:47 PM
The visibility in the afternoon can be terrible if your heading west into the sun.

ASM22
04-06-2006, 08:02 PM
from a reliable source, CRC was NOT involved....
Good to hear... Someone please fill in some blanks...

LHC30Victory
04-06-2006, 08:12 PM
Good to hear... Someone please fill in some blanks...
Yeah, Fill in the blanks with FACTS, not rumor or conjecture.....
OOPS, heresy on HB :rolleyes:

RVRKID
04-07-2006, 08:13 AM
Early reports indicate that three people, including the boy and his father, were on a Sleekcraft boat while the other two victims were on a bass boat.

dirty old man
04-07-2006, 08:34 AM
Tragic all around. Fourteen year old boy - too close to home. Another black eye for recreational boating. and as someone said, its only April

the_gray_goose
04-07-2006, 08:50 AM
Who knows what happended? No details, but people are saying 150......damn,this place is never short on rumor and speculation...
Well said!
Why does everyone allways assume it was a big fast cat that was involved??
"Most" of the accidents allways turn out to be some idiot on a jetski or some runabout full of drunks or rooky boaters.
I would bet there are more deaths on rice road and HWY 40 a year than on the water. and most of them involve 65MPH minivans.

Tom Slick
04-07-2006, 09:13 AM
My thoughts and prayers are with the victims and the families invloved, what a tragedy, but what a bullsh!t thread. Why are people so quick to jump to conclusions and post nothing but speculation on this or just about any other accident. Just because a race boat, fast boat, etc. happened to be running hard somewhere on the same lake that the accident happened on, doesn't mean that they were involved. As is the case with this thread, rumor gets started right from the start and it isn't even close to the facts. Like the_gray_goose said, most boating accidents that we hear of are inexperienced boater, or night time, or drunks, or D all of the above.

MrsMathWiz
04-07-2006, 11:01 AM
The info about this crash is available at HavasuNews.com
My husbands 2 buddies were on the bass boat. They are members of the Inland Empire Bassmasters. The club is out there for a club tournament this weekend. These guys were out pre-fishing the lake.
We can't get ahold of anyone that knows any current info. b/c cell phones aren't working great out there. My husband is currently on his way out there and will call me when he gets more info on the guys.

MrsMathWiz
04-07-2006, 11:03 AM
Oh, the HavasuNews.com website reports that the other boat was a "sleekcraft" and that 3 people were on board including the 14 year old boy who died at the scene.
I know the 2 men that were on the bassboat but have not gotten any updates on their condition yet today.

MrsMathWiz
04-07-2006, 07:50 PM
update:
My husband's buddies were the two guys in the bass boat. They are safe (thank you God!). It is terrible that someone had to die - especially someone so young.
Both men were released from the hospital and are on their way home to So. California. Their bass club is out there this weekend for a tournament.
This accident may have been a case of not knowing boating rules. All of the bass club has had training on boating safety but when this boat started coming at the bass boat my husband's friend veered right to pass but the Sleekcraft started to veer to the left (when he should have passed on the right) so the driver of the bass boat thought he better turn the other way too & when he did the other boat turned back to the right too and they went back and forth (I'm not sure how many times) until it was too late. Such a bummer. Maybe the guy on the Sleekcraft just wasn't paying attention and started to veer left without realizing. We don't know yet. But if boating rules were followed, this accident probably wouldn't have happened.
As far as my husband said, the two drivers did have eye contact although I'm not sure how close they were at the time the Sleekcraft saw the bassboat. He didn't ask how fast they were going but if I get the details I'll post.
Please...pay attention, know the rules and have fun safely.
ps...there are 2 other threads started on this same accident

Liquid Courage
04-07-2006, 09:58 PM
How many times has the "chicken game" happened to you?? I've had it happen many times!! As you're running at someone I always go to the right (like a vehicle on the road) but the other boat goes left, then I go left then they go right then I go right and we pass and shake our heads at one another. Sh!t never ceases to amaze me.
Boats are very unpredictable (especially if the other boat is driven by a novice). I try to stay the f*ck away from other boats when I'm running. Especially if it's at high speeds.
Just my .02.

RVRGIRL
04-07-2006, 11:07 PM
Boat crash victims' names released
By DAVID BELL
Friday, April 7, 2006 10:46 PM MDT
Today's News-Herald
The identity of the 14-year-old boy that was killed in a two-boat collision near Site Six Thursday has been released. He is Malachi Chase of Tenino, Wash.
Four others involved in the crash also have been identified. They are Richard Huebner II, 43, of Olympia, Wash., Jordan Gaken, 19, of Lake Havasu City, John Barnes, 66, of Moreno Valley, Calif., and Steven Ellis, 47, of Fontana, Calif.
The four survivors were transported to Havasu Regional Medical Center for treatment. Barnes and Ellis were released Thursday evening while Huebner and Gaken were airlifted to Las Vegas area hospitals with unspecified injuries.
Huebner was piloting a 20-foot Sleekcraft boat with passengers Chase and Gaken, when it collided with a 20-foot Ranger bass boat piloted by Barnes. The accident occurred at about 3:40 p.m. about 50-100 yards from shore just north of the handicap fishing pier at Site Six.
The Sleekcraft sank following the crash and the Mohave County Sheriff's office sent divers into the lake. Divers located the boat at 10:30 a.m. Friday and the vessel was salvaged.
The cause of the crash remains under investigation.

RiverRatMike
04-07-2006, 11:36 PM
that is just crazy! I was on my way to work this afternoon around 4pm and saw emergency vehicles on hwy 95, wondered what was going on.

BajaMike
04-07-2006, 11:46 PM
How many times has the "chicken game" happened to you?? I've had it happen many times!! As you're running at someone I always go to the right (like a vehicle on the road) but the other boat goes left, then I go left then they go right then I go right and we pass and shake our heads at one another. Sh!t never ceases to amaze me.
Boats are very unpredictable (especially if the other boat is driven by a novice). I try to stay the f*ck away from other boats when I'm running. Especially if it's at high speeds.
Just my .02.
And so many times, the boat coming at doesn't even slow down.....ya pull back on the throttle a little bit and things happen a whole lot slower!!
My .02
:idea:

77charger
04-08-2006, 11:33 AM
sorry for the loss to those involved
Now get your popcorn
I cant believe how many hypocrites change thier minds in tradgedy.First they say going fast in a big boat is safe and so on they are in control it feels like 30 in a car they can go in and out of boat traffic easily.WELL not all the time and when it goes wrong it cost a life.NO MATTER THE SIZE OF BOAT accidents can happen seems to be speed is more of a factor than drinkin in accidents now.But you will hear my boat is safe at any speed bla bla bla.
IMO you shouldnt go faster than conditions allow but their are some that think they can go 150 past copper and a patrol boat.I aint your parents so i aint going to tell you how to drive drive as you please use or dont use saftey gear,drink your beer bong,etc.Just remember accidents can happen and when it does i will say i said so.

Harley5229
04-08-2006, 09:00 PM
I don't care who may have been at fault - it's just sad for both parties involved. I saw this in the news yesterday. They don't even have enough money to get the body home...
'He Was Our Baby'
April 7, 2006
By KOMO Staff & News Services (Seattle)
TENINO, WASH. - It was supposed to be the vacation of a lifetime, but a 14-year-old from Tenino was killed and four other people injured when two boats collided on Lake Havasu in Arizona.
The Mohave County sheriff's office says the teen, Malachi Chace, died Thursday at the scene, more than 50 yards off shore.
Two of the injured, 43-year-old Richard Huebner of Olympia and 19-year-old Jordan Gaken of Aberdeen, were airlifted to a hospital in Las Vegas with serious injuries.
Malachi's aunt, Denice Heiser, said the teen went to the lake with family friends for his spring break vacation. "He had been looking forward to it for a long time," she said. "He was a very special boy, he was our baby."
His grandmother, Theresa Chance, said Malachi was his mother's pride and joy and her only son. "She's having a real hard time with all of this," Theresa said. "It's just so devastating. You never expect it."
On top of the grief of losing a young son, the family has been told it will cost $6,000 to bring Malachi's body back to Washington. It's money they don't have.
The family has set up a memorial fund in Malachi's name to help raise money to bring him home. Donations can be at any Venture bank.
"We need to bring our baby home," said Denice. "That's what we want."

Wet Dream
04-09-2006, 05:20 AM
what a tragedy, but what a bullsh!t thread. Why are people so quick to jump to conclusions and post nothing but speculation on this or just about any other accident.
Because there are alot of people on here that don't have a clue what the "F" they're talking about. "I HEARD", "RUMOR HAS IT" " I THINK IT WAS..." and the BS goes on and on. And these mother f'ers always have to ASSume that its always high speed, 100 or 150. These jokers need to get the facts before speculating on BS. It is a tragedy and I feel for the family.