PDA

View Full Version : Need help concerning jury duty

hd&boatrider
07-22-2004, 11:49 AM
? for you guys...What if I do not show up for jury duty in Riverside County? What happens next?
I have served on juries in the past but they are insisting I show up next week and I can't. Just wondering what is going to be the process if you don't show....
Just facts please

Havasu Hangin'
07-22-2004, 11:50 AM
What is your badge number?

Jrocket
07-22-2004, 11:52 AM
I get summons sometimes,but I never go.I still cant figure how they will know if you got it in the mail or not.

hd&boatrider
07-22-2004, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by Havasu Hangin'
What is your badge number?
It is at home.....That makes a difference?

Havasu Hangin'
07-22-2004, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by hd&boatrider
It is at home.....That makes a difference?
If you just got summoned, yes.
The higher the number...the less likely you'll have to serve. They make you call each night, and call in jurors in batches.
I was in the 900's last time, and never went in. It all depends on how many cases they got going.

Mrs. Bordsmnj
07-22-2004, 11:57 AM
tom, I don't think they can prove that you received your notice?!?!
OR send it back and draw swasticas and write a bunch of racist comments on it. They won't want you then.
:)

slink
07-22-2004, 11:57 AM
Tom, There should be something written on the summons somewhere what the penalty is. But again, I know for a fact there is ALOT of mail theft going on in Corona these days:wink:

hd&boatrider
07-22-2004, 11:59 AM
If you just got summoned, yes.
The higher the number...the less likely you'll have to serve. They make you call each night, and call in jurors in batches.
I was in the 900's last time, and never went in. It all depends on how many cases they got going.
So back to the original ? then....What happens if I don't show?

Havasu Hangin'
07-22-2004, 12:02 PM
So back to the original ? then....What happens if I don't show?
To the big house.
Just kidding.
Worse case would be contempt...not sure what the fine is.
BTW...they have little cameras and GPS trackers in those notices, so they know when you got it. :eek:

hd&boatrider
07-22-2004, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by slink
Tom, There should be something written on the summons somewhere what the penalty is. But again, I know for a fact there is ALOT of mail theft going on in Corona these days:wink:
I have postponed it before and this is the reschedule if you will. They said I am not excused and need to call them to discuss it further. What do you think Slink.....They going to come bust my door down come Tuesday Morning...lol
Seriously, I can't make it I don't want some damn warrant out for me for not showing up for jury duty or something like that.

hd&boatrider
07-22-2004, 12:03 PM
At this point they want a phone call from me to discuss the postponment further.
Originally posted by Mrs. Bordsmnj
tom, I don't think they can prove that you received your notice?!?!
OR send it back and draw swasticas and write a bunch of racist comments on it. They won't want you then.
:)

hd&boatrider
07-22-2004, 12:04 PM
Maybe Pelican Bay for someone like me :)
To the big house.
Just kidding.
Worse case would be contempt...not sure what the fine is.
BTW...they have little cameras and GPS trackers in those notices, so they know when you got it. :eek:

HighRoller
07-22-2004, 12:04 PM
They can issue a bench warrant if they want but that is doubtful. The jails would be full. I'm sure glad everyone takes their civil duty seriously.:rolleyes:

hd&boatrider
07-22-2004, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by HighRoller
They can issue a bench warrant if they want but that is doubtful. The jails would be full. I'm sure glad everyone takes their civil duty seriously.:rolleyes:
I do my duty...vote and serve on juries but damn :( I just want them to postponent. I am not going this Monday regardless so if I call them and tell them that they might make an exception out of me. I mean if they say "too bad you are to show up". Then it becomes a dis situation for them and they might take it personally. Who knows

Jrocket
07-22-2004, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by HighRoller
I'm sure glad everyone takes their civil duty seriously.:rolleyes:
Thank you.

slink
07-22-2004, 12:08 PM
Tom, Call them and see what they say about another extension, if not , just leave me a spare key under the mat so I don't damage the door:D See ya tuesday J/K

slink
07-22-2004, 12:11 PM
Oh BTW, for all you Riverside County residents, They have shut down all of the civil courts because of the back log of criminal trials, for some reason the DA isn't pleading anything out, so the courts are backed way up, so expect your summons any day know.

hd&boatrider
07-22-2004, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by slink
Tom, Call them and see what they say about another extension, if not , just leave me a spare key under the mat so I don't damage the door:D See ya tuesday J/K
You know...that is pretty funny. Probably payback for changing the Dam Run II date!

slink
07-22-2004, 12:18 PM
You know...that is pretty funny. Probably payback for changing the Dam Run II date! Ya know what, know that I think about, I beleive the penalty is 30 days in Jail. Lets see, If I get ya on Tuesday, thats the 27th, 30 days from then would be 08/27 just in time to be out for the 28th :D better start changing the date again :D

mickeyfinn
07-22-2004, 12:41 PM
I do my duty...vote and serve on juries but damn :( I just want them to postponent. I am not going this Monday regardless so if I call them and tell them that they might make an exception out of me. I mean if they say "too bad you are to show up". Then it becomes a dis situation for them and they might take it personally. Who knows
It may not be anyone's business, but if you ask a question like that you should let people know why you are not going. Being on Jury Duty sucks. It is boring and makes a week take forever to go by even if you do get a case, but it is one of the prices we pay for living in this country. I would think that if you have a medical problem or some legitimate reason for not being there then they should be able to delay it for you. If you don't want to go because you are going to the lake/river or have to work that is not an excuse.

PlyaPlya22
07-22-2004, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by Jrocket
I get summons sometimes,but I never go.I still cant figure how they will know if you got it in the mail or not.
I'm in agrreance. They have no way of knowing.

Dr. Eagle
07-22-2004, 12:53 PM
? for you guys...What if I do not show up for jury duty in Riverside County? What happens next?
I have served on juries in the past but they are insisting I show up next week and I can't. Just wondering what is going to be the process if you don't show....
Just facts please
Nothing much, just jail...
J/K... I missed it one time and they sent me a nastygram telling me I was gonna be arrested if I didnt' call them... so I did and they gave me a new date to report.

Ultracrazy
07-22-2004, 01:01 PM
They will issue a Bench Warrant......and if you get pulled over....you'll get a free ride to court.:D

Jrocket
07-22-2004, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by PlyaPlya22
I'm in agrreance. They have no way of knowing.
Yep..out of sight,out of mind..Jrocket always try to stay on the down low from the po po!
Has had to many rides from the five o's.:D

jbtrailerjim
07-22-2004, 01:07 PM
I got called for jury duty about a month ago and the Monday I got the notice in the mail I looked at the day I was supposed to be there and it was that day. I said WTF!!! What would happen if I was on vacation that week or something. I ended up just calling in every day the rest of the week and never had to go in and was dismissed on Thursday over the phone.
A friend of my parents that lives in San Bernadino county gets them in the mail and just throws them in the trash. She's been doing it for years and nothing has ever happened. I was tempted to on this one I got but I was afraid with my luck they'd be showing up at my door with a warrant.:eek:

Jrocket
07-22-2004, 01:14 PM
In the past years I have been in and out of court ALOT.In all those years of going in and out of court I have never seen anybody up in front of the judge for missing jury duty.It might happen but I have never seen one in court yet.Hopefully never will either!

PlyaPlya22
07-22-2004, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by Jrocket
Yep..out of sight,out of mind..Jrocket always try to stay on the down low from the po po!
Has had to many rides from the five o's.:D :D

eliot
07-22-2004, 01:23 PM
Unless it was sent certified they can't prove you ever received it.

91nordic29
07-22-2004, 02:03 PM
here is some info:
riverside jury duty (http://158.61.133.3/JSIWEB/)
i was on a jury (in phoenix superior) for 3 weeks, no pay. i STILL had to serve even though it was a hardship.

hd&boatrider
07-22-2004, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by mickeyfinn
It may not be anyone's business, but if you ask a question like that you should let people know why you are not going. Being on Jury Duty sucks. It is boring and makes a week take forever to go by even if you do get a case, but it is one of the prices we pay for living in this country. I would think that if you have a medical problem or some legitimate reason for not being there then they should be able to delay it for you. If you don't want to go because you are going to the lake/river or have to work that is not an excuse.
You ever heard of vacation time? Yes, it is an excuse. I have sat in on my share of jury duties in the past. I put in for the request to postpone and they want a friggin' phone call.

hd&boatrider
07-22-2004, 02:09 PM
Thanks for the input people. I will do what I have to do :rolleyes:
Slink....when you raid the house on Tuesday the door will be unlocked. Can you make it after 9A please.....lol

miller19j
07-22-2004, 02:11 PM
You ever heard of vacation time? Yes, it is an excuse. I have sat in on my share of jury duties in the past. I put in for the request to postpone and they want a friggin' phone call. Then give them a call and explain. I rescheduled my jury duty several times when I was traveling for work a lot. Not a big deal just explain it to them.
Again I am in a different county.

SeaRayPat
07-22-2004, 02:13 PM
Look here is the TRUTH!.........The letters are are generated from a computer data base , if you recieve your notice there is not one person from the court house who knows you by name..like I said its computer generated, so if you never respond to the letter they can not do a darn thing ..they dont know you!....BUT ONCE YOU RESPOND YOU ARE SCREWED!

BOBALOO
07-22-2004, 02:17 PM
In LA co as of last year the fine for not showing was $1500.00.
I figured out from spending 3 days at the courthouse that if you dont respond by calling in they cannot prove you received a summons. The way they get you is when you call in they know you got the summons. I talked to a few people that got registered letters from the post office stating the fine and possible jail time.
Dont get scared, they want you to serve. I could not go in when I was supposed to either and they just rescheduled me.
1st day, cattle call, 3-400 people waiting around from 8:00 til before noon when they gave us our first assignment. go to lunch for 1 1/2 hours. BS
Came back to fill out papers and to have them tell us that if your employer pays for jury duty that you will be on a long term jury. And not speaking english or not having anyone to take care of your elderly bedridden mother did not exclude you.
They then sent me to a different courthouse 15 min away to continue waiting.
2nd day waited a half day to get picked 15 min before the 1 1/2 hour lunch again. (who the hell gets a 1 1/2 hour lunch ?) We came back and spent 1 hour in jury selection. A woman there obviously was trying to use race and prejudice to get off but the judge sent hes back into the jury pool to try again.
3rd day listened to testimony(the guy was waaaaaaay guilty and he ended up pleading guilty. (also took all day)
We need a better system. In three days we could have accomplished much more.

CA Stu
07-22-2004, 02:25 PM
Show up with your Resident Alien card = automatic disqualification.
Works for me :D
CA Stu

BOBALOO
07-22-2004, 02:27 PM
I actually think they might take you even if you are undocumented. aka ILLEGAL
BOB(not p.c.)ALOO