PDA

View Full Version : Rough water Deckboat.

BOBALOO
07-22-2004, 03:12 PM
I know this might fit better in Cats& Tunnels but who has experience with using a performance deckboat 24-28' in typical Havasu weekend chop.
Is the ride smooth like a normal tunnel ?
Does water come over the front and rush to the back?
and has this happened to you?
Would you feel more comfortable (less likely to sink in rough water) in a 25' vee or the deckboat?
When it is cold do you use your boat even though there is nothing blocking the wind?
Thanks for answering some or all of these questions.

CARGUY
07-22-2004, 03:20 PM
I do not own one but have driven the Conquest in very rough Havasu chop and it was fine. Took no water over the front, ran about 65-70 right across the top of the chop and was very stable.
I almost bought one but wanted a cuddy, and a deeper boat for the kids.
Have several friends that have Daytonas and Deck boats and the only time they are not fun is in real high wind driven swells, but are awesome, stable boats for everyday Havasu chop.
Good luck!!!

OutCole'd
07-22-2004, 03:20 PM
I have a 28' Magic Deck and have had it in the Havasu chop with no problem at all. Boat seems to run better in 12" + of chop. I have never had waves splash over the bow swim plat form either.
I was out there a few months ago when a 10-12 boats went down, and did fine.

welk2party
07-22-2004, 03:23 PM
Never had a problem. Felt safe and secure. I have been in Havasu the last stoem that sank boats and we were all fine. I have been on Lake Mead in a bad storm in 3 to 4 foost swells and a boat full of people and no one complained. I have years of driving experience though. The only time my boat took on water was when my father in law was driving and speared another wave.

beer hunter
07-22-2004, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by OutCole'd
I have a 28' Magic Deck and have had it in the Havasu chop with no problem at all. Boat seems to run better in 12" + of chop. I have never had waves splash over the bow swim plat form either.
I was out there a few months ago when a 10-12 boats went down, and did fine.
I remember that storm. :eek:
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/22491415Hava_Storm55.JPG

revpuffdaddy
07-22-2004, 03:29 PM
I just spent last Friday (7/16) through (7/18) on Havasu and Friday, (7/16) a storm blew in from the south end of the lake. I drove right into 4' & 5" chop at 40mph to 45mph and never even had has much as a drop come into the boat. We drove past several vee bottoms that were getting pounded! I am very happy with my Conquest Top Cat II deck boat.
Hope this helps!

BOBALOO
07-22-2004, 03:32 PM
Thanks for the replies, I was out in Havasu the week or two before the big storm and the rough water got me thinking.
does the deck drain into the engine compartment?

Ivan Dan
07-22-2004, 03:34 PM
We were out on Easter weekend when it was SUPER windy and nasty chop out there. We pulled out of Windsor headed towards the sandbar and had waves coming over the front because I had 12 people, 3 ice chests, and 96 gallons of fuel on board. I turned right around and went into the channel and hung out there instead. I think if it would have been the normal crew of 5-6 we would have been fine. Every other time out the boat has handled everything I've thrown at it.

revpuffdaddy
07-22-2004, 03:35 PM
On the Conquest there are two floor drains. One drains into the left sponson and the other drains into the right sponson. There are bilge pumps in both sponons and the engine compartment.

OutCole'd
07-22-2004, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by BOBALOO
Thanks for the replies, I was out in Havasu the week or two before the big storm and the rough water got me thinking.
On the Magic it does drain into the builge, then pumps it out from there.

Ivan Dan
07-22-2004, 03:36 PM
Drains into the hull and is pumped out by the bilges. The Magic and Conquest deckboats have 3 bilge pumps to handle that.

BADBLOWN572
07-22-2004, 03:37 PM
Usually there are small drains in the deck that will allow the water to escape to either the engine compartment or one of the outside sponsons.

bohica
07-22-2004, 03:37 PM
Im took my demo ride on the Conquest and Magic deckboats the day of the Spring Heatwave poker run. I was in the Magic as we headed back from spectating around Sand Point, as they were headed back to Thompson Bay. Water was pretty chopped up from all the big boat traffic and the boat handled it well.
I couldn't believe the ride in the Conquest. In my opinion, it was a much smoother ride than the 34' Magic I had just sold. However, in really big stuff, like that weekend when all the boats sunk, I was glad to be in a big deep V.:D
I'm having Conquest do a cuddy cabin in my new deckboat. Someplace where the kids can get out of the cold.

Toomstone
07-22-2004, 03:39 PM
ive got a 28' magic deckboat and have been to havasu a few weekends this summer. if you go slower 25mph to 35 you feel the chop. buy if you go 50 or 55 you get right on top of it.

beer hunter
07-22-2004, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by OutCole'd
On the Magic it does drain into the builge, then pumps it out from there.
Bill, is there a rear door that could be opened to let water out if you got more than a few inches in the boat? :)

Toomstone
07-22-2004, 03:46 PM
we were there during the hava-storm in april and tried to go to sandbar. we had three waves come over the front. there was about 8" of water in the back of the boat. but we were only goin about 30. if we would have been going 50, we might have gotten on top of it. we were goin about 15 or 20 from the mouth of the river back to the channel keeping the nose up. the water was gone out of the back by the time we got to the channel. the bilges work fast

OutCole'd
07-22-2004, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by beer hunter
Bill, is there a rear door that could be opened to let water out if you got more than a few inches in the boat? :)
No door, I have never needed on though. Unless I use my wash down hose to clean the boat, I barely ever see the bilge run.

phebus
07-22-2004, 03:48 PM
Carrera 257 Party Effect. Haven't had any problem with water coming on to the deck in rough stuff. That includes going through the narrows at Lake Powell, where rollers and chop were coming from all directions. Far worse than anything I have had it in at Havasu.

nodigg
07-22-2004, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by bohica
Im took my demo ride on the Conquest and Magic deckboats the day of the Spring Heatwave poker run. I was in the Magic as we headed back from spectating around Sand Point, as they were headed back to Thompson Bay. Water was pretty chopped up from all the big boat traffic and the boat handled it well.
I couldn't believe the ride in the Conquest. In my opinion, it was a much smoother ride than the 34' Magic I had just sold. However, in really big stuff, like that weekend when all the boats sunk, I was glad to be in a big deep V.:D
I'm having Conquest do a cuddy cabin in my new deckboat. Someplace where the kids can get out of the cold.
Any new pics you can share of the cudy in progress??

bohica
07-22-2004, 04:12 PM
Here's the only pic I got of the cuddy in progress. Losing a cooler by doing this, but I figure I can just throw some soft sided coolers in there. Gonna be a Bomar hatch on the top for air and ventilation.
http://www.glamisdunes.com/photopost/watermark.php?file=500/914Dscf0008-med.jpg
http://www.glamisdunes.com/photopost/watermark.php?file=500/914Dscf00051-med.jpg

nodigg
07-22-2004, 04:30 PM
Thanks for the pics. Sure am anxious to see the finished boat!
On another note, I have had water over the front twice now on my deck boat.
Once while rescuing a guy from the water while his boat sank in a storm off cottonwood cove because by the time 3 of my crew yanked him onto the bow we had turned into the rollers and with four guys up front we dipped into a wave. the 3 bilges took it out quickly. the only other time was with 16 peeps on board and some idiot hit the gas on his boat just as he left the marina at Topock and trying to avoid him hitting us I let off and dipped into his giant wake. ARGGHHHH! I can't imagine rollers big enough to come over the front while driving under power? You have to drive for the conditions with any boat don't you? Just get the bow up and power over the swells. Now if your motor dies...give me a deep vee and a storm anchor to keep me point into the wind!

RIPPINGNOLEGSKROKER
07-22-2004, 04:32 PM
Offshore styley in a 26 Conquest Top Cat. Late afternoon, late August Monsoon on lake Powell, BIG lake water. It was like riding in a hurricane that made you laugh. Boat did awesome!!
SPAM: The boat is For Sale In Cats and tunnels under Wicked Conquest for sale.

Mrs Luvnlife
07-22-2004, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by bohica
Here's the only pic I got of the cuddy in progress. Losing a cooler by doing this, but I figure I can just throw some soft sided coolers in there. Gonna be a Bomar hatch on the top for air and ventilation.
WOW.......that is looking VERY nice!!! :)