PDA

View Full Version : ride plate angle ?

texas-19
07-22-2004, 04:58 PM
I have a ? about the ride plate angle on a tx-19.If i raise the angle more then about 1 1/2 degrees up from the keel it will start to porpoise even with the nozzle all the way down.I would like to get it freed up some more without the porpoising at cruising speed.Any help would be appeciated.
Mike

Jetdriver
07-22-2004, 05:06 PM
Might want to check for hook!

texas-19
07-22-2004, 05:48 PM
ok,i'll check it.Thanks

Jake W
07-22-2004, 06:04 PM
Do you have a droop?
Jake

texas-19
07-22-2004, 06:10 PM
Jake,
yes,i have a aggressor droop and diverter with a dominator pump.

texas-19
07-22-2004, 06:33 PM
[img]http://www.***boat.com/image_center/showphoto.php?photo=49196[img]
Here is a picture of it.Hope it works,this is the first time i tried to upload a picture.

texas-19
07-22-2004, 06:40 PM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/showphoto.php?photo=49195&password=&sort=7&thecat=500
One more try

texas-19
07-22-2004, 06:43 PM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/showphoto.php?photo=49195
If this don't work could someone help?

texas-19
07-22-2004, 06:49 PM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1831smrvl7-med.jpg
OOOOONNNNNNNNEEEEEEE MORE TIME

460rogers
07-22-2004, 06:56 PM
NICE BOAT
How far down does the aggressor droop put the nozzle?
Do you have any wedge or running it flat to the bowl?

texas-19
07-22-2004, 07:01 PM
460 ROGERS,
If you put a straight edge on the bottom of the ride plate the droop is about 1" above the straight edge at the lowest point.I live in Texas also,that picture was taken at Lake Somerville.Thanks for the comment.Oh ya,no wedge,it is bolted straight to the bowl.
Mike

460rogers
07-22-2004, 07:21 PM
Yea I see it now you are from the other side of the lake.
Does your TX have a shoe?

Squirtcha?
07-22-2004, 07:42 PM
Our boats are like night and day different, but I've done lots of tuning and ride adjustments and have found that wedging makes a world of difference on mine.
I went out one weekend armed with four different wedges and tried all configurations. I wedged up and down in increments of 1, 2, 3, and 4 degrees. Adjusted the rideplate up and down and all around. After an entire day of tuning, I found that my boat was it's absolute slowest with no wedges installed. I found that when wedged down from 4 degrees (original setting was 4 degrees up) towards no wedge, it would get progressively slower. After I tried it with no wedges (slowest of all the testing) I started wedging towards 4 degrees down. It picked up speed with each wedge and rideplate adjustment, but it never ran as fast as it did when wedged up.
Bottom line was, after all that work my boat had the correct amount of wedging and rideplate adjustment on it from the getgo and I ended up taking it right back to where I started from. It was however, enlightening and a cool experimentation day.
You might want to try playing with that aspect. Get ya some different degree wedges and go play for a day. Try it both ways (up and down) and adjust your rideplate each time you try a different wedge or stack of wedges. They're cheap and it can make a big difference. I'm betting you'd be able to find a spot where the speed is good and the porpoise goes away.
Don't forget you'll need some additional hardware (longer bolts or studs) for the bowl for the different wedges.
Oh yeah, sidenote. I was able to make my boat porpoise when I had the wrong amount of wedges installed coupled with a bad rideplate adjustment (up too high). I was also able to get rid of that porpoise by continuing with different setups.

texas-19
07-22-2004, 07:45 PM
yes it does have a shoe,and a loader.
We plan on going back to somerville before summer is over.We are about 2 1/2 hours away.

460rogers
07-22-2004, 07:54 PM
I hope to have my TX-19 ready this year .
It still needs a whole lot of little things done.
Hope to see ya at the lake..
I was just curious about the shoe.I don't know much about them yet, just know mine has one too.

texas-19
07-22-2004, 07:59 PM
Squirtcha?
Thanks for the long reply,that helps.
When you wedged down did you move the ride plate up?
Say what range did you adjust ride plate,from what degree did you start and finish.
When i bought the boat it had 2 wedges in it raising it up.But it really porpoised.I took them out and it was alot better.I will try to wedge down and raise ride plate.Hows that sound.How wide is a 1 degree wedge at the thickest part?
mike

texas-19
07-22-2004, 08:03 PM
Did you buy it needing work?

Squirtcha?
07-23-2004, 05:02 AM
texas,
A one degree is wedge is approximately 1/4" at it's thickest point.
Sounds like you may be on to something by wedging it downward.
When I did mine last year, I adjusted the rideplate anywhere from 1 degree up, to 5.5 degrees up. I never tried taking it down, but that's not to say it wouldn't work.
My setup ended up being 4.5 degrees of up wedge, and 4 degrees of up on the rideplate. I'm running some different hardware on mine now though, and like I said before.......our boats are very different.
Good luck.

460rogers
07-23-2004, 02:04 PM
Texas-19
The TX was one of those deals I jumped at before I really looked at it close enough.It was complete less motor. BUT It had been sitting longer than I was told and was powered by a SBC.The conversion to BBF wasn't the hard part its the little things that keep popping up.I put my ROGERS on hold thinking I could get this one ready sooner. NOT.I probably could have had the total resto done quicker and cheaper.http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/1161DSCN0349-med.jpg

texas-19
07-24-2004, 08:16 AM
Squirtcha?,
Thanks for the info,looks like i have a 2 and 4 degree wedge.I'll start with the 2 and go from their.I can only about 2 1/2 degrees on the ride plate without cutting on the rear bracket or lowering the shoe with some shims.If it picks up speed i have about an 1/8" i can lower the shoe.It is not back cut so i could try that two. your help is really appreciated.
Looks like you have 2 nice boats.A friend of mine has a rodgers and it runs real strong,it's called "just add water".When i bought the tx-19 i thought it did not need much but after i got into it over the winter i had to replace alot of things,Kinda like you it is the small stuff that's killin me.I had the motor from a previous boat i had and it has been the least of my worries.I go over every piece and if i have a problem i replace it or fix it,i don't want to be broke down,especially because of small things.Thanks for posting the picture,looks good.I am going to be doing some "set up" testing so when you get it ready i may be able to give you a pretty starting point.
Mike

Taylorman
07-26-2004, 08:24 AM
I have a question about wedges. When testing different wedges, what position do you have your diverter in? Why would you need wedges when you have a diverter, does this not do the same thing?

texas-19
07-26-2004, 09:13 AM
Taylorman,
Yes the diverter does the same thing but with the diverter all the way down on my boat, it will still porpoise if i hit some waves just right.I don't want to move the rideplate down any more than i have too.My rideplate is only 1.5 degrees up and want to go up more but the only way i could do that is with some down wedge.Never experimented with this so don't know if this will free it up or just fight one against the other.My ride plate does have a small bend in it and their maybe some hook in the boat that is contributing to the problem.Have not checked for hook yet.I am going to make a few changes to see what it does for now until this winter.
Mike

LVjetboy
07-26-2004, 02:24 PM
Texas, I have no hook in my jet. But wedge and plate still make a difference in porpoise. I had a 4 degree down wedge and took it out for more top end. I didn't see a top end gain but definitely got more porpoise even with full down trim, so I put it back in. Like you, my plate is just under 2 degrees up. I think a little more would help top end, but hurt rough water handling. I run a lake jet so a smooth ride's just as important to me as top end.
jer

texas-19
07-26-2004, 06:32 PM
LVjetboy,
Thanks alot for the help,that really makes it easier to experiment with the set up someone with experience tells me what works for them.So,my take is i can wedge it down and raise the plate and possibly see a gain at top end and should not porpoise.I know every boat is different but that should be a good place to start.What kind of boat do you have?Thanks again.
Anybody else out their with a tx-19 or a cp-19,or any other jet boat for that matter, mess with their set up?I know just about everyone that reads this forum does.What works best for you?
Mike

LVjetboy
07-26-2004, 10:59 PM
18'6" PlaceCraft tunnel. I can post bottom dimensions if you like. Probably not the same as you but sounds like you're having similare setup challenges.
jer

Old Guy
07-27-2004, 02:41 AM
If you go here
http://arneson-industries.com/Arneson%20Rocker%20Plates.htm
and substitute the word "ride" in the description at the top, for the word "rocker", I think it might help understand how these plates work.

texas-19
07-27-2004, 06:32 AM
Jer,
Please do post those dimensions,any help is greatly appreciated.
old guy,
thanks for the link,pretty interesting info.sure would make it easy to test and tune if someone would make a hydraulic system that would replace the rear ride plate bracket and could adjust the ride plate from the drivers seat that would fit the jet pumps.There may even be some out their but i haven't seen any.
Mike

LVjetboy
07-28-2004, 12:11 PM
Here ya go...
http://members.cox.net/lvjetboy/PCProfile.jpg
All dimensions in inches. Here's a computer model showing how it looks from the rear...
http://members.cox.net/lvjetboy/RearView.jpg
And my extended ride plate...
http://members.cox.net/lvjetboy/PumpModDone.jpg
jer

texas-19
08-01-2004, 07:43 PM
jer,
thanks for posting the pics.The rideplate and brackets are very well thought out.I really like the way the brackets are machined so they don't drop below the bottom of the nozzle.I like the design of the rideplate also. When you extended the rideplate did you end up changing the angle and if do how much?I appreciate the help.
The computer graphics is pretty cool.I take it you must use them fairly often and those brackets weren't cut with a hacksaw either,Maybe you designed them and cut them with a cnc?
mike