PDA

View Full Version : MPD the magical mystery

dgie
07-22-2004, 07:59 PM
Hey I keep hearing that MPD does many things to improve the efficiency of a pump. Now i am curious, what do they do? Do they polish the inside of the bowl to give the water less to grab on to while it is rushing through? I also heard they will do something magical to the impeller on a Jacuzzi, what exactly do they do? Someone told me they reshape it, to what? I keep hearing a lot about these guys and i am wondering if this stuff anything the common man can do :confused:

77charger
07-22-2004, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by dgie
Hey I keep hearing that MPD does many things to improve the efficiency of a pump. Now i am curious, what do they do? Do they polish the inside of the bowl to give the water less to grab on to while it is rushing through? I also heard they will do something magical to the impeller on a Jacuzzi, what exactly do they do? Someone told me they reshape it, to what? I keep hearing a lot about these guys and i am wondering if this stuff anything the common man can do :confused: They will thin the vanes in the bowl,do some work on the impeller.for basics,But there is alot more he can do for set ups.I had the basics done and i kept the same speed just 400 rpm lower.
If it is the wj jacuzzi he can make it go pretty good i am not quite sure what they do to it(been a while since i owned a jet)but they work good

Danhercules
07-22-2004, 08:33 PM
Any man may be able to do it. But thats his buissness. If he never tells anyone, I respect that. Well, at least while he is still doing it!

dgie
07-22-2004, 08:36 PM
Im sorry charger, what? I was concentraing on your Avatar :D I know that they do good work since everyone recomends them. Do you or anyone have a picture of what an impeller looks like preferably a Jacuzzi after they are done with whatever they do to it? Also what do they do to a Bowl to make it flow better or is it just thin the vanes?

BrendellaJet
07-22-2004, 09:09 PM
Here you go: Stage 3 MPD Jacuzzi 12WJ
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/212WJ_Imp_fr_finished-med.jpg
Bowl
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/212WJ_Int_bowl_vanes-med.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/212100_0280-med.JPG
I havent ran it yet, but I have spoken with another boater who had the same amount of work done to his WJ pump and gained 11 mph. Jack also did a shoe, loader and a ride plate for me...
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/212WJ_Loader_finished3-med.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/212100_0287-med.JPG
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/212100_0286-med.JPG

LVjetboy
07-23-2004, 01:14 AM
"They" is "he"...Jack's the man. He does excellent work and I'm hoping he never retires...
jer

BigBoyToys
07-23-2004, 02:16 AM
Originally posted by dgie
Hey I keep hearing that MPD does many things to improve the efficiency of a pump. Now i am curious, what do they do? Do they polish the inside of the bowl to give the water less to grab on to while it is rushing through? I also heard they will do something magical to the impeller on a Jacuzzi, what exactly do they do? Someone told me they reshape it, to what? I keep hearing a lot about these guys and i am wondering if this stuff anything the common man can do :confused:
There's lotsa stuff the "common man" can do, but it's best to take it in to someone that does it for a living that knows the stuff. I have heard of instances where boat owners have tried to do the work themselves but actually made it worse and got slower speeds.
What I've done for my upcoming pump conversion, is purchased individual parts that have been reworked. I have a G Bowl that was done by Tom Papp, with the veins all sharpened up, and an impeller that has been done by ??? that will need some more slight attention around the edges. For the shoe/plate setup, I'd recommend taking it in to someone, because there are many different types and variations of it and to have it done right would require the expertise of someone that's done it a few times before.
I know that Jack at MPD does a great job, but am also aware of others that do equally great work on pumps, with most of them being former or present Jet Boat racers. Just a few others I know about in California are, GT Marine is good with pumps (Suisun/Fairfield), GS (Greg Shoemaker) Marine is good, Tom Papp is good, Kenny Francis at Howard and Son Truck and Marine (Sacramento), I've heard that Mike's Marine (Dixon) has done ok with some pumps (Dixon) and there's a few others that specialize in pumps. Best to let someone do it that does it for a living. For the price vs. Hours that you will spend doing it yourself, it's well worth it.

dgie
07-23-2004, 09:27 AM
BrendellaJet thanks for the pictures, looks really good. I am trying to get an idea if there is a big difference between what I have now and what Jack churns out at MPD. Once again I have no doubt about his abilities, and he has already helped me out once already. Jack mentioned for my setup, since I am not running high performance stuff right now I might want to concentrate on the impeller. Just kind of curious about the other stuff for later though. Like when I win the Loto and I can afford that 502 Crate motor for my boat :D As far as doing it myself I am thinking you guys are right about doing it myself, It would be better to spend the $200 to have the impeller reworked as opposed to doing it myself and taking a chance and screwing it up. I will check out the other places mentioned and see what they charge. Or I can just leave it how it is, not sure if the speed gain is worth $200 right now.

UBFJ #454
07-23-2004, 11:17 AM
Jer -
Re: "They" is "He"
Incorrect, it is "They" ... Kevin does a great deal of the fabrication and installation work ... Both prep and finish work other than impellers (Jack does the impellers) ... Yes, it is all supervised by Jack, but, Kevin does a lot of the work and as he has gained experience over the last few years ... He has gotten better ... Just giving Credit where it is due.

bp
07-23-2004, 11:31 AM
um, jak, kevin hasn't worked at mpd for months now. kevin became a big tv star in his own right, :D
he's been operating the cnc at boyd coddingtons. you can sometimes see him hiding in the back corner on "american hotrods".
jack does have some young blond mopehaird boy workin' in there now. as has happened so often in the past, jack must now start all over... train the kid how to read, write and more importantly, add and subtract. jack tells me he's graduated past the floor shinin' stage now, and has moved up to a productive assistant????
as the training goes on, it's pretty much "he", with a little "they" sprinkled in there
:D :D :D

HammerDown
07-23-2004, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by 77charger
I had the basics done and i kept the same speed just 400 rpm lower.
Thats quite impressive, can you offer any further info like impeller cut, mph/rpm, before/after the work.

UBFJ #454
07-23-2004, 12:22 PM
bp -
oops, my bad ... I now understand better what Jack was really saying when we talked last at Ming.
Great for Kevin, but, Not So Great for Jack (Right during the busy season) ... Guess that's what Jack gets for being such a Good Teacher .....

MudPumper
07-23-2004, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by bp
jack does have some young blond mopehaird boy workin' in there now. as has happened so often in the past, jack must now start all over... train the kid how to read, write and more importantly, add and subtract. jack tells me he's graduated past the floor shinin' stage now, and has moved up to a productive assistant????
as the training goes on, it's pretty much "he", with a little "they" sprinkled in there
:D :D :D
Chris is well on his way to doing great things with Jack's supervision. Now if Jack would just teach him the proper way to install a hand hole cover.;) :D
MPD did my pump work, worked the bowl and impeller and installed a loader. With no other modifications to my boat I gained 7.5mph verified by GPS.

bp
07-23-2004, 01:14 PM
he is definately the right young man, in the right place, at the right time. by sticking with it and working hard, he has educational opportunities that are not available anywhere else.
we know each other, and i just have the compulsion to give him a hard time, at least until he'll pull his weak azz out on the rope. i guess he'll get some more -practice-:rolleyes: at cbbb this weekend...:cool:

LVjetboy
07-24-2004, 01:11 AM
"They" is "he"...Jack's the man."
I'm sticking with my original post. No disrespect intended to his proteges or assistants now or then. Whoops, easy on the controversy. Don't want a ban to bench racers now would we?
jer

bp
07-24-2004, 10:02 AM
i agree.
yah, we're probably way beyond the line by now. see ya in tune town..:cool: