PDA

View Full Version : Paul Oakenfold and The Crystal Method 2night!!!

Froggystyle
07-23-2004, 06:52 AM
Anyone going to the show tonight at 4th and B?
Should be richter. I can't wait.

totenhosen
07-23-2004, 07:11 AM
Oakenfold is way overhyped! For the people that are into him have a good time but there are tons of other DJ's that are way better.

Phat Matt
07-23-2004, 07:40 AM
Froggystyle, I had no idea. I should send you some of my cd's. I used to be an Oakenfold fan until I saw hime live about 5 years ago. He is over rated. Crystal Method on the other hand are the shit when they perform live. I have seen them many times. They used to be regulars in Vegas. On the decks their ok. They really haven't been spinning that long. They made music long before they learned to DJ. I'm sure it will be a fun night though with cool people.

Goldilocks
07-24-2004, 12:33 AM
Hate Jokenfold, but I have seen Crystal Method about 7 times live and they are the sh!t everytime I have seen them (playing their music, and not as djs) Let us know how the show was.

Phat Matt
07-24-2004, 02:02 AM
Originally posted by Goldilocks
Hate Jokenfold, but I have seen Crystal Method about 7 times live and they are the sh!t everytime I have seen them (playing their music, and not as djs) Let us know how the show was.
That's my girl! :D

Froggystyle
07-26-2004, 10:25 AM
Sick... show!
Crystal Method was off the hinges. No turntables. Just keys and sequencers. The only bummer was continutity. They kept stopping in between songs. Plus, some rapper came up and started singing in between Name of the Game and kind of ruined it. High Roller was awesome, as was Vapor Trail.
Oakenfold was absolutely amazing. He came on after CM and really raised his game accordingly. I saw him three/four years ago in a club and it was awesome... made me a big Oaky fan. Saw him last year at 4th and B (same place as Friday) and it sucked ass. For one, he was done by 12:00, and for another he had a whole band up there with him and destroyed the show.
Different story this year. Oakenfold came out with one of the best sets I have ever heard, and blew it up for two and a half hours. Then DJ B-side came on after him and owned it till closing. Great show, Oakenfold is seriously at the top of his game, but I think it takes an opening act like Crystal method to get him to bring his A game.
Saw Ferry Corsten this year too. That kicked ass. It has been a great couple of months for live DJ's in San Diego. We have seen Darude, Monk from Rabbit in the Moon, John Bishop, Paul Oakenfold, Ferry Corsten, DJ Irene, and a bunch of others.
Good times.

Reaper1
07-26-2004, 11:34 AM
Yeah but, were you E-bombing at the show?:D

Froggystyle
07-26-2004, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by Reaper1
Never this kid. I did drink a couple of Martinis first though.
Lots of people were rolling there though. I am, with the exception of alcohol, straightedge.

WILDERTHANU
07-26-2004, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by Reaper1
LMAO!!!!

nybadboy
07-26-2004, 03:56 PM
saw both tiesto and oakenfold at avalon nyc on seperate nights. both spun for about 3 to 3 1/2 hours. both were sick but oakenfold was a little better. he played alot more vocals than tiesto did. over all tiestos cd's and mixes are better than oakenfold but the live sets i saw oakenfold was the man.

Phat Matt
07-26-2004, 04:32 PM
Some great DJ's to see live are Deep Dish, Seb Fontaine, Danny Howells, and of course, Phat Matt. :D
If you ever get a chance to see any of those peeps spin, you won't be disappointed.
Phat (will be spinning a 5+ hour set 8/21 in Vegas) Matt

Froggystyle
07-26-2004, 05:23 PM
Still want to see Tiesto. I spin with a lot of his songs, and even use his Nyana albums on occasion. It was weird hearing that album, because I was already spinning with Delerium, Motorcycle, Solu, and a couple of others that were on that album.
Anyway, Paul blew it up. I loved it. Sorry you guys don't dig him, but I still think he is one of my favs. He is certainly having more impact on mainstream music than anybody spinning today.
Anyone seen Boy George spin? Alledgedly, he is awesome.

Phat Matt
07-26-2004, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by Froggystyle
Anyway, Paul blew it up. I loved it. Sorry you guys don't dig him, but I still think he is one of my favs. He is certainly having more impact on mainstream music than anybody spinning today.
Anyone seen Boy George spin? Alledgedly, he is awesome.
I used to like him, but he killed it for me the first and second time I saw him. It could have been and off night or maybe he was all coked out. Who knows. Maybe I should give him another chance.
I have heard the same things about Boy George but I have never seen him live.
How long have you been spinning?

Froggystyle
07-27-2004, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by Phat Matt
How long have you been spinning?
About six months. I retired from the Navy medically after a bad parachute accident that trashed my left hand for guitar playing, so I had to switch gears.
I think it gave me a head start, as I am progressing faster than most would figure.
Here is a pic of my rig...
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=812830

Phat Matt
07-27-2004, 01:52 PM
About six months. I retired from the Navy medically after a bad parachute accident that trashed my left hand for guitar playing, so I had to switch gears.
I think it gave me a head start, as I am progressing faster than most would figure.
Here is a pic of my rig...
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=812830
Cool. How do you like Final Scratch? Pretty crazy huh? I have been using it since it came out but just switched over to Scratch Live by Rane. Do you have your tables set up scratch style with the pitch control on the top? I've been doing it for over 10 years now (as a paid hobby) and there still is no better feeling when you are in front of a big crowd controlling them with every song you drop. I don't spin at the clubs as often as I used to because these damn real jobs get in the way. My only regular gig now is a monthly gig at Curve in Vegas.
Nice set up. It looks like we are going to go down to SD for some club hopping the weekend of the 14th. If you want to meet us out for a cocktail, let me know.

Froggystyle
07-27-2004, 02:24 PM
Cool. How do you like Final Scratch? Pretty crazy huh? I have been using it since it came out but just switched over to Scratch Live by Rane. Do you have your tables set up scratch style with the pitch control on the top? I've been doing it for over 10 years now (as a paid hobby) and there still is no better feeling when you are in front of a big crowd controlling them with every song you drop. I don't spin at the clubs as often as I used to because these damn real jobs get in the way. My only regular gig now is a monthly gig at Curve in Vegas.
Nice set up. It looks like we are going to go down to SD for some club hopping the weekend of the 14th. If you want to meet us out for a cocktail, let me know.
Final Scratch could be the bomb, but currently I am running an older version and it blows goats. I am going to off it for Rane though.
The tables are set up battle style, with the tonearms on top. Pitch is in the upper left. Nice thing about the TTX's is that the controls are moveable between mix and battle style.
You should come over and spin before we all head out. Not to toot my own horn, but the pad is bomb. We have a Cerwin Vega Earthquake 18" sub, 2) JBL M415 speakers and a 3000 watt PAS 3 channel amp. Laser, strobes, fog machine etc... all in the house. We built it so we wouldn't have to leave once we started partying.
In any case, it is THE place to kick off the party, and spin after hours. Unbustable with regard to the po po. I live on an acre.
We should get together, but you will need to get over the Paul Oakenfold hangup. I spin quite a bit of Perfecto records... ;)

Phat Matt
07-27-2004, 03:21 PM
Final Scratch could be the bomb, but currently I am running an older version and it blows goats. I am going to off it for Rane though.
The tables are set up battle style, with the tonearms on top. Pitch is in the upper left. Nice thing about the TTX's is that the controls are moveable between mix and battle style.
You should come over and spin before we all head out. Not to toot my own horn, but the pad is bomb. We have a Cerwin Vega Earthquake 18" sub, 2) JBL M415 speakers and a 3000 watt PAS 3 channel amp. Laser, strobes, fog machine etc... all in the house. We built it so we wouldn't have to leave once we started partying.
In any case, it is THE place to kick off the party, and spin after hours. Unbustable with regard to the po po. I live on an acre.
We should get together, but you will need to get over the Paul Oakenfold hangup. I spin quite a bit of Perfecto records... ;)
It doesn't sound like we would leave your house at all. Once I get spinning with a buzz it's hard to stop. I think we are definitely going to have to stop by "Club Trident". :) Do you want the current version of FS? I think I could burn you a copy and bring it down. BTW the way, it's sounds like you've got a horn to toot so toot away! How far away are you from the Gas Lamp district? That's most likely where we will be staying. (Although Mandelon offered us to stay with him)
Oakey is playing a BPM party tonight with BT and Junkie XL in LA. Sould be a good show. I have some friends that are going. Perfecto has put out some good stuff from Timo Maas, Hernan Cattaneo and more recently Seb Fontaine, so he's not all that bad. ;)

jus a baker
07-27-2004, 04:51 PM
you guys are lucky, you got all the cool stuff down there.

Phat Matt
07-28-2004, 09:04 AM
Originally posted by jus a baker
you guys are lucky, you got all the cool stuff down there.
Are you telling me the big DJ's don't tour through St George? ;)

Froggystyle
07-28-2004, 09:16 AM
It doesn't sound like we would leave your house at all. Once I get spinning with a buzz it's hard to stop. I think we are definitely going to have to stop by "Club Trident". :) Do you want the current version of FS? I think I could burn you a copy and bring it down. BTW the way, it's sounds like you've got a horn to toot so toot away! How far away are you from the Gas Lamp district? That's most likely where we will be staying. (Although Mandelon offered us to stay with him)
Oakey is playing a BPM party tonight with BT and Junkie XL in LA. Sould be a good show. I have some friends that are going. Perfecto has put out some good stuff from Timo Maas, Hernan Cattaneo and more recently Seb Fontaine, so he's not all that bad. ;)
I am having a hard time getting the current version. When I bought mine, they kind of screwed me, and sold me 1.0 for a cheap price, and then gave me the 1.1 upgrade because they were out of the Native Instruments version.
So, I need to not only upgrade to 1.1.4, but I need 1.2 as well to be current. I will tell you flat out that the first Traktor version has major problems. So, I would love it if you brought yours down.
It took me 16 minutes to get home from the Oakey show to give you an idea of how far we are. Probably 16 miles too. But, those 16 miles are why we can rage past sunup with no po po!
Hernan Cattaneo is great. A little moody for me, but great. I am starting to move more into breaks again too. I love throwing breaks inbetween trance builds, or immediately following a drop.
Come on down! The hot tub is stellar too.

Phat Matt
07-28-2004, 09:37 AM
I am having a hard time getting the current version. When I bought mine, they kind of screwed me, and sold me 1.0 for a cheap price, and then gave me the 1.1 upgrade because they were out of the Native Instruments version.
So, I need to not only upgrade to 1.1.4, but I need 1.2 as well to be current. I will tell you flat out that the first Traktor version has major problems. So, I would love it if you brought yours down.
It took me 16 minutes to get home from the Oakey show to give you an idea of how far we are. Probably 16 miles too. But, those 16 miles are why we can rage past sunup with no po po!
Hernan Cattaneo is great. A little moody for me, but great. I am starting to move more into breaks again too. I love throwing breaks inbetween trance builds, or immediately following a drop.
Come on down! The hot tub is stellar too.
I'll PM you my cell.

SchellSchock
07-28-2004, 09:42 AM
Wes....
Not to Hijack your thread...
but.....:D :D
Anybody else check out the John Fogerty concert last night???
Just thought I would thow that in as all the Groups you guys are talkin' bout' I never even heard of!!!!
It SUCKS gettin old! :mad: :mad

Doctor Feniks
07-28-2004, 11:48 AM
saw jokey, JXL, Crystal and BT last night at Avalon LA...pretty good show. i'll post a review with some pics and videos later (i'm too damn tired right now).
tha doc

Phat Matt
07-28-2004, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by Doctor Feniks
saw jokey, JXL, Crystal and BT last night at Avalon LA...pretty good show. i'll post a review with some pics and videos later (i'm too damn tired right now).
tha doc
Suck it up wuss and post the pics! :D

welk2party
07-28-2004, 12:30 PM
Hey, I want to come to club Trident! My wife loves SD and would jump at an opportunity to go south.:)

Phat Matt
07-28-2004, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by welk2party
Hey, I want to come to club Trident! My wife loves SD and would jump at an opportunity to go south.:)
I think you'd have to talk to Froggy and see if he could put you on the VIP list. ;)

Froggystyle
07-28-2004, 01:52 PM
I think you'd have to talk to Froggy and see if he could put you on the VIP list. ;)
IAnyone know where to find a velvet rope?
How funny would that be, have a little roped off area by the dancefloor (yes, we have a dancefloor) as the V.I.P. lounge! Put a little cooler over there... hehe.
We should party.
No boat talk though. That is the rule in da club...

Froggystyle
07-28-2004, 01:53 PM
I know the owner... I'll make a call...

welk2party
07-28-2004, 03:07 PM
I know the owner... I'll make a call...
Sounds good. I will wait with baited breath!
Sorry about the pic Wes. I sold the truck and forgot to take the pic. There is a truck out there with a Trident sticker.

Froggystyle
07-28-2004, 03:11 PM
Sounds good. I will wait with baited breath!
Sorry about the pic Wes. I sold the truck and forgot to take the pic. There is a truck out there with a Trident sticker.
Even better!
I will get you another.

Phat Matt
07-28-2004, 03:36 PM
IAnyone know where to find a velvet rope?
How funny would that be, have a little roped off area by the dancefloor (yes, we have a dancefloor) as the V.I.P. lounge! Put a little cooler over there... hehe.
We should party.
No boat talk though. That is the rule in da club...
OK, I know this is a little picky but does the DJ booth face the dance floor, or is your back to it. I feed off the crowd. Also, what's the cover and do guest DJ's get to put peeps on the list? ;) :D And I need go go boxes with go go dancers! :D

Doctor Feniks
07-28-2004, 03:40 PM
Suck it up wuss and post the pics! :D
okay here you go...
we got there about 10 pm and the line to get in was about 3 miles long. fortunately, our friend knew the promoter for the night and was able to get us in within a few minutes (man do i love walking to the front of the line and walking right in...). when we got in, JXL was in the middle of his 2 hr set and he was off the hook (best set of the night IMO). he just seems to ooze energy....jumping around on stage, hyping the crowd, and triggering all his music live from his laptop.....damn it was awesome. trainspots include JXL mixes of Ayumi Hamasaki - "Vogue", Infusion - "Legacy", Dave Gahan - "Dirty Sticky Floors", and his new remix of the newest baroque records release (name of the song escapes me right now). at around 11, oakenfold got on the decks and proceeded to rock the crowd properly. i'm not a big fan of his but he actually sounded okay last night. his mixing was fairly clean (the bass was soooo loud that you could feel it vibrate the people standing next to you--that is, if you touched them you could feel the bass vibrating through from the speakers, through the floor and through them....). most of the tracks he played i didn't recognize. however, i did hear his remix of U2 - Beautiful Day towards the end of his set. about 2 songs before he finished, the chemical brothers came on stage and were dancing in front of oakies booth as he was mixing. then they jumped on the decks doing back-to-back 1/2 hr sets. they actually started out sorta slow.....killed the vibe a bit. however thier last 4 or 5 songs were big BIG breaks tracks that absolutely put the crowd in a frenzy. i was a little dissapointed that they only DJ'd and didn't do any live stuff. and to be honest, their mixing was a bit shadey at times. however, they still put together a great performance and i'm glad i got to see them finally. and then at 1 am it was BT's turn. i actually caught up with him backstage a few minutes before he went on and got to talk to him for a minute. i gave him a copy of a remix of his song "Remember" that i made a few months back. anyways, he started out with an unreleased remix of "Breezer" and then proceeded to add samples and hooks and mix beats on the fly as he triggered it all from his laptop and a midi keyboard (i think hwe was using Ableton Live but i couldn't get a good look at his screen). he also completely tore the floor up with Futureshock - "Sparc" and then used some guitar samples of Lenny Kravitz - "Are You Gonna Go My Way" to loop and drive the crowd crazy. he had the volumes cranked soooo loud that we had to take a break. we wandered upstairs to the Spider Club where i found out the DJ was using Serato Scratch Live (i'm a beta tester for this company so it was nice to see someone else using it in a club other than myself). after that, it was getting close to 2am so we headed out trying to beat the crowd. overall it was a great night and i had an awesome time. much thanks to Tammy and Sean for hooking up the VIP (prob won't read this anyway...). i put some pictures and video clips up on my FTP server for you guys to download. here's the link:
ftp://4.61.183.38
user: clubpics
password: clubpics321
enjoy....i'm going to sleep early tonight.
doctor "chilly willy" feniks

Froggystyle
07-28-2004, 03:46 PM
OK, I know this is a little picky but does the DJ booth face the dance floor, or is your back to it. I feed off the crowd. Also, what's the cover and do guest DJ's get to put peeps on the list? ;) :D And I need go go boxes with go go dancers! :D
Faces the dance floor, and I have cages for go-gos. Well, a dog house, but same deal, right?
I even have another whole PA for the DJ Cafe room. I will take some pics tonight...
Guest DJ's drink for free, and you do get peeps on the list, but I keep the whole door. ;)

Phat Matt
07-28-2004, 03:49 PM
Bout fricken time!
Maybe an introduction is in order for Dr Feniks. He was one of the Havasu virgins I took out for the boys weekend a few weeks ago. It was his wedding that caused me to miss my regatta. He is also the other half of "Sofa King", our name when we DJ gigs together. The Dr part; this dumbass is a med student at Loma Linda and in is last year, what a loser! :p And to top it all off, he's my best friend who infiltrated the boards because I told him about all the cool peeps I was meeting in Havasu. To make things worse, HE'S CANADIAN! :yuk: But it's not his fault. :D So give him shit, because I always do! :D

Froggystyle
07-28-2004, 03:50 PM
Sounds like an awesome night Doc. Also sounds like a similar set that Oakey spun for us. I thought the U2 wasn't bad. Too vocal for me.
Did he open with Southern Sun, the Gabriel and Dresden mix?

Phat Matt
07-28-2004, 03:52 PM
Faces the dance floor, and I have cages for go-gos. Well, a dog house, but same deal, right?
I even have another whole PA for the DJ Cafe room. I will take some pics tonight...
Guest DJ's drink for free, and you do get peeps on the list, but I keep the whole door. ;)
:D
So does this mean we're on for at least one night that weekend?

Froggystyle
07-28-2004, 03:58 PM
:D
So does this mean we're on for at least one night that weekend?
Like Donkey Kong.
Bring the doc...
I love being JV quality!

welk2party
07-28-2004, 03:58 PM
Sounds like fun was had. I have not heard this much DJ talk in a long time. An old friend of mine was trying to break in to the DJ scene and all he would talk about was DJ this and that and we would go to clubs to hear certain DJ's spin. It was pretty cool. I love hard house, house and some trance music. Just cannot beat them for a party.

Froggystyle
07-28-2004, 03:59 PM
Sounds like fun was had. I have not heard this much DJ talk in a long time. An old friend of mine was trying to break in to the DJ scene and all he would talk about was DJ this and that and we would go to clubs to hear certain DJ's spin. It was pretty cool. I love hard house, house and some trance music. Just cannot beat them for a party.
You come too!
I will give you a sticker in person...

welk2party
07-28-2004, 04:04 PM
You come too!
I will give you a sticker in person...
Sounds like a deal. Name the time and date. :cool:
Does this mean I have to party with Matt too? J/K:D Matt, I am still waiting for corporate to get off their a** and give me their mark ups. Maybe I can advertise this year!:eek:

KACHINA KEN
07-28-2004, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by Doctor Feniks
okay here you go...
oakenfold got on the decks and proceeded to rock the crowd properly. i'm not a big fan of his but he actually sounded okay last night. his mixing was fairly clean (the bass was soooo loud that you could feel it vibrate the people standing next to you--that is, if you touched them you could feel the bass vibrating through from the speakers, through the floor and through them....). most of the tracks he played i didn't recognize. however, i did hear his remix of U2 - Beautiful Day towards the end of his set.
doctor "chilly willy" feniks
U2 had him on tour as their opening act on Zoo TV, Sorta helped launch him to superstar DJ status, same cant be said for Howie B, didn't do much for him but he has a really strange style anyhow. I am still spinning myself but harder stuff not really popular, alot of stuff from a label called Bluetonium & another one called BXR. Hard House minus the house y'know?
Kenny

Froggystyle
07-28-2004, 04:10 PM
Sounds like a deal. Name the time and date. :cool:
Does this mean I have to party with Matt too? J/K:D Matt, I am still waiting for corporate to get off their a** and give me their mark ups. Maybe I can advertise this year!:eek:
Matt is on point for the date. I am easy. I work every day.
Figure it out gents... let me know.

Doctor Feniks
07-28-2004, 07:24 PM
i'm in...