PDA

View Full Version : history on elsinore...?

Riverat84
04-06-2006, 07:20 PM
this may be a dumb/useless question, but out of curiosity...anyone know what year the lake was actually made? what was the land used for before they filled this toilet?
just curious,
Reid

Riverat84
04-06-2006, 07:37 PM
bumpity bump....what? no one knows?

78Southwind
04-06-2006, 07:38 PM
I think it was a dump and then they just added water. :)

phebus
04-06-2006, 07:40 PM
I think it was during the great flush of '64 :)

Riverat84
04-06-2006, 07:42 PM
oh really? damn thats crazy....flood of '64?.....yeah im just curious thanx.

phebus
04-06-2006, 07:46 PM
oh really? damn thats crazy....flood of '64?.....yeah im just curious thanx.
I really have no idea, I was just kidding with the "flush" part :)

Riverat84
04-06-2006, 07:47 PM
haha, flush.... im slow, i just got that lol.

572Daytona
04-06-2006, 07:58 PM
Google is your friend:
http://www.lakeelsinorechamber.com/LE_History.htm
Per the URL, Elsinore is Cali's only natural lake, therefore it wasn't made.

whiteworks
04-06-2006, 08:04 PM
grey water holding tank

Cole
04-06-2006, 08:09 PM
this may be a dumb/useless question, but out of curiosity...anyone know what year the lake was actually made? what was the land used for before they filled this toilet?
just curious,
Reid
Lake Elsinore has a interesing past, its not a man made lake, its a run off for the local mtns and for other lakes.
It was vacation retreat back in the 30s 40s and 50s for people who lived in the "city".
They would come to the lake to "get away", along with Big bear and other local areas. I have just bought 2 homes by the water that were built in the 50s and I am learning a lot about there history!!
There is a real cool Military school off of Grand ave (around the corner from the Marina) that was used in lots of Movies in the 50s
There are many HUGE homes in the hills that were homes to the stars from what I understand and have yet to look into this.

Riverat84
04-06-2006, 08:27 PM
Lake Elsinore has a interesing past, its not a man made lake, its a run off for the local mtns and for other lakes.
It was vacation retreat back in the 30s 40s and 50s for people who lived in the "city".
They would come to the lake to "get away", along with Big bear and other local areas. I have just bought 2 homes by the water that were built in the 50s and I am learning a lot about there history!!
There is a real cool Military school off of Grand ave (around the corner from the Marina) that was used in lots of Movies in the 50s
There are many HUGE homes in the hills that were homes to the stars from what I understand and have yet to look into this.
oh snaps! lol, that actually sounds real cool....why and how did it get the reputation of being so bad smelling and green looking? was it because of the lack of current? i heard that they have some pumps underwater to keep the current fresh/moving....anyone have any dirt on this topic?
thanx cole, i'm interested in those homes in the hills also, you can see a few from the boat sometimes!
Reid

ADDICTED
04-06-2006, 08:36 PM
Good topic!
This is very interesting.

Robert1050
04-06-2006, 08:41 PM
Interesting history, the lake looks really cool coming over the Ortega Hwy as well - there's a burger joint just past the crest (when you come from Capistrano) that overlooks the entire vally and it really is a spectacular view.
To bad I don't get on the lake anymore, I used to go there when I needed to do some testing and/or break-in - the high-speed zone is a good idea. With all of the dead fish I've seen floating near shore and the eye infection I got from that place, it'll take a lot to get me to go back......

Riverat84
04-06-2006, 08:43 PM
Interesting history, the lake looks really cool coming over the Ortega Hwy as well - there's a burger joint just past the crest (when you come from Capistrano) that overlooks the entire vally and it really is a spectacular view.
To bad I don't get on the lake anymore, I used to go there when I needed to do some testing and/or break-in - the high-speed zone is a good idea. With all of the dead fish I've seen floating near shore and the eye infection I got from that place, it'll take a lot to get me to go back......
wow....how the hell did it get you an infection? should i even know?

dmontzsta
04-06-2006, 08:56 PM
I heard there are homes under there, and have heard of telephone poles under there also, could just be rumors.
I know it was not uncommon to find turds in that lake, it was a real cess pool about 20 years ago.

Jrocket
04-06-2006, 08:58 PM
Riverrat84....Just curious but does your last name start with a K?

78Southwind
04-06-2006, 09:22 PM
My understanding about the lake is that it is actually real clean. The silt that runs off the mountains has a very high mineral content that causes algae to grow. I believe that the algae over oxygenates the lake which causes the fish to die. At least it’s something like that.

Cole
04-06-2006, 09:33 PM
My understanding about the lake is that it is actually real clean. The silt that runs off the mountains has a very high mineral content that causes algae to grow. I believe that the algae over oxygenates the lake which causes the fish to die. At least it’s something like that.
Very true...the lake is VERY clean and now the generaters are creating a current which if the city cooperates will be even cleaner!!
They released some Bass into the lake to eat the carp, so there are catfish and bass in the lake for some good fishing...so i heard!!

STOKER909
04-06-2006, 10:42 PM
Actually the problems with the algae originate from the high nitrate runoff from the streets of Lake elsinore. Those nitrates being chemical lawn fertilizers mainly. About ten years ago there was a huge project that the lake underwent and that was to remove a majority of the carp that infested the lake and grew so fast because of all the algae food supply they had to eat. They actually took drag nets and fished like they were in the sea of Galilee and caught tons of carp and sent the other fish like crappie and bass back into the lake. The Carp were beginning to crowd out the other indigenous fish.
Lake Elsinore is indeed a natural one, and the only natural boatable lake in all of southern california.
Not that any of you care but you're going learn it from me anyway, but the other natural lakes in socal are lost lake(not that spreading area north of Blythe) but lost lake in the Cajon pass and Jackson lake near Wrightwood both are on the same fault system near the San Andreas fault, both are known as fault block lakes, and not only that, though jackson and lost lakes (in the cajon pass) are nearly 20 miles apart and are 3000 feet apart in elevation(jackson being the higher of the 2.) they actually share the same water source. The fault blocking refers to the intrusive rock that actually shoved its way into the fault where the water travels and acts as a natural dam to force the spring water up to the surface to form those lakes.
I have often wondered how cool it would be to take a jet ski on lost lake but that area is heavily patrolled by Rangers from the forestry department because they are looking for people parked without their "forest adventure passes" so they can hand out tickets to people that pay for the taxes that already pay for the open use of the public lands that they are currently using. We are just getting double taxed and nobody seems to care so we say to the Goverment in california "thankyou may i have another?" Sorry about the rabbit trail, I had to vent a little.
I hope that info is useful to someone other than me, hey at that college education counts for something, right?

04-06-2006, 10:45 PM
True, the algae outcompetes the bacteria. They had a real problem with bacterial infections up at Canyon Lake a few years back and it's water runs into Elsinore. They didn't have the problem at Elsinore. There is even a crazy group that sets up chase lounges in about 12 inches of water to soak in the algae for it's "benefits", I $h!t you not! :eek:
I am in no way defending the green swamp, meerly observing. I test props and set-up changes there because of the "high-speed" zone. The problem is, one hour in the lake takes 3 hours to clean it off!

STOKER909
04-06-2006, 10:46 PM
"I hope that info is useful to someone other than me, hey at that college education counts for something, right?"
Apparently, that college education has not helped my grammar enough.

04-06-2006, 10:49 PM
Just don't drink & type! ;)

STOKER909
04-06-2006, 10:53 PM
Just don't drink & type! ;)
Haha! hey it's just coffee! I promise!

HM
04-07-2006, 12:01 AM
Elsinore is a nasty nasty arm pit of a lake. Rumor has it that it is causing testicular cancer and significan facial hair growth in women. You don't even have to touch the water, just the fumes of the water will do all the damage. So, everyone should stay the fock away if they don't want to die a horrible infected death followed by maggots eating their bodies.
Did you hear me? The lake sucks ass and you will die. Stay away.
;)

Riverat84
04-07-2006, 05:50 AM
Actually the problems with the algae originate from the high nitrate runoff from the streets of Lake elsinore. Those nitrates being chemical lawn fertilizers mainly. About ten years ago there was a huge project that the lake underwent and that was to remove a majority of the carp that infested the lake and grew so fast because of all the algae food supply they had to eat. They actually took drag nets and fished like they were in the sea of Galilee and caught tons of carp and sent the other fish like crappie and bass back into the lake. The Carp were beginning to crowd out the other indigenous fish.
Lake Elsinore is indeed a natural one, and the only natural boatable lake in all of southern california.
Not that any of you care but you're going learn it from me anyway, but the other natural lakes in socal are lost lake(not that spreading area north of Blythe) but lost lake in the Cajon pass and Jackson lake near Wrightwood both are on the same fault system near the San Andreas fault, both are known as fault block lakes, and not only that, though jackson and lost lakes (in the cajon pass) are nearly 20 miles apart and are 3000 feet apart in elevation(jackson being the higher of the 2.) they actually share the same water source. The fault blocking refers to the intrusive rock that actually shoved its way into the fault where the water travels and acts as a natural dam to force the spring water up to the surface to form those lakes.
I have often wondered how cool it would be to take a jet ski on lost lake but that area is heavily patrolled by Rangers from the forestry department because they are looking for people parked without their "forest adventure passes" so they can hand out tickets to people that pay for the taxes that already pay for the open use of the public lands that they are currently using. We are just getting double taxed and nobody seems to care so we say to the Goverment in california "thankyou may i have another?" Sorry about the rabbit trail, I had to vent a little.
I hope that info is useful to someone other than me, hey at that college education counts for something, right?
hey thats real interesting....i love hearing crap like this....but im not so sure about that lake fumes thing killing you.....wtf?
Reid

Riverat84
04-07-2006, 05:51 AM
Riverrat84....Just curious but does your last name start with a K?
no, my name is reid....nice to meet ya tho.

MagicMtnDan
04-07-2006, 06:28 AM
I heard the lake was clean until Brown came down, paid it a visit and left after depositing a mammoth stink pickle that changed the water "quality" forever. :D

HefeRaton
04-07-2006, 07:24 AM
I heard the lake was clean until Brown came down, paid it a visit and left after depositing a mammoth stink pickle that changed the water "quality" forever. :D
NICE! LOL! I haven't been back to that lake since I blew my motor there. As far as the algae the only stuff that creeps me out is the flourescent green stuff. That sh8t glows in the dark.

Her454
04-07-2006, 07:47 AM
This is a very cool topic actually as it pertains to many of us - not just Elisinore. Many of our lakes are man made and if you check into the history behind them you will find some cool stories of what it used to be prior to the flooding/creation of the current lake. Up on Mullet Mountain we have several lakes that are man made and they now cover old mining towns. During drought years these foundations can still be seen. Lots of history if you take the time to check. I am a complete history nutt and I can tell you exactly what is under every one of our lakes where I live and the history behind it. Love that stuff!

Riverat84
04-07-2006, 08:03 AM
This is a very cool topic actually as it pertains to many of us - not just Elisinore. Many of our lakes are man made and if you check into the history behind them you will find some cool stories of what it used to be prior to the flooding/creation of the current lake. Up on Mullet Mountain we have several lakes that are man made and they now cover old mining towns. During drought years these foundations can still be seen. Lots of history if you take the time to check. I am a complete history nutt and I can tell you exactly what is under every one of our lakes where I live and the history behind it. Love that stuff!
hell let us know, im a history nut also!....
Reid

andy01
04-07-2006, 08:24 AM
I was up at lake camanchie (sp) a few years back and it was super low, you could see the foundations of towns and homes at the bottom. Real wierd deal.
Andy.

Her454
04-07-2006, 08:40 AM
hell let us know, im a history nut also!....
Reid
Ok...... ;)
I was up at lake camanchie (sp) a few years back and it was super low, you could see the foundations of towns and homes at the bottom. Real wierd deal.
Andy.
True. Out toward the back under the bridge (Lancha Plana Bridge) where people float and party is the old town of Lancha Plana ("flat-boat" in Spanish) and was a small town in Amador County that was formed for a flatboat ferry crossing across the Mokelumne River that was founded in the 1800's. The remnants of the town were submerged as a result of the damming of the river to form Lake Camanche.
The cemetery that was once there for the miners and old chinese that worked the area was moved up to Campo Seco, about 3 miles away and is still in existence. Pretty cool old cemetery too (if you like cemeteries I guess :) )
BTW, Lancha Plana is listed as a California Historical monument but Im not sure of the #.

Robert1050
04-07-2006, 08:49 AM
wow....how the hell did it get you an infection? should i even know?
Before I bought my Daytona, I spent a lot of time on Jet-Ski's - I'd go to Elsinore during the week to do tuning & testing and if you've ever ridden a Sea-Doo XPL, you'd quickly discover that it's not a very dry ride......
Got the eye infection from being splashed in the face. Yuck! I've even seen people water-skiing on that lake....

superdave013
04-07-2006, 08:55 AM
I am a complete history nutt
That's because all the guys tell you that "you're history"! ;) and then those same guys are never seen again.
and I can tell you exactly what is under every one of our lakes where I live and the history behind it. Love that stuff
:eek: now we know where those guys went! must be down there with Jimmy Hoffa. :cool:

Her454
04-07-2006, 09:09 AM
That's because all the guys tell you that "you're history"! ;) and then those same guys are never seen again.
:eek: now we know where those guys went! must be down there with Jimmy Hoffa. :cool:
FOCKER. I take back all those nice things I said yesterday when I was bragging (lying) about you. :rollside: