PDA

View Full Version : OIL CHANGES...about how often

FRENCHIE
07-23-2004, 08:24 AM
do you change you boat oil??? or how many hours more specifically???:confused: ;)

RiverDave
07-23-2004, 08:24 AM
Once a year at the end of the season.. :)
There's guys on here that change it every other trip out though.
DR

1stepcloser
07-23-2004, 08:29 AM
I change mine about every 20 hours or so....the outdrive gets done annually with the service

Bre
07-23-2004, 08:31 AM
Drive..every year... and engine at 20hrs.... 50 hrs... 100 hrs... and so on

jbtrailerjim
07-23-2004, 08:31 AM
I change mine once a season.

Havasu_Dreamin
07-23-2004, 08:33 AM
Usually every 50 hours is what is suggested. I've heard of some guys with the 500's and 525's changing it every 20 hours due to the high performance parts. Guess I should learn how to change the oil. The drive oil should be changed at least once per year, either end of season or at the start of the season.

Havasu Hangin'
07-23-2004, 08:35 AM
Originally posted by 1stepcloser
I change mine about every 20 hours or so....the outdrive gets done annually with the service
Yep.

Bre
07-23-2004, 08:38 AM
Originally posted by Havasu_Dreamin
Usually every 50 hours is what is suggested. I've heard of some guys with the 500's and 525's changing it every 20 hours due to the high performance parts. Guess I should learn how to change the oil. The drive oil should be changed at least once per year, either end of season or at the start of the season.
It's not hard to change the oil. I can teach you one time if your out there at the same time we are. It'll sabve you a bunch of money if you can do it yourself too:)

HCS
07-23-2004, 08:40 AM
50HrSOrOnCEayeaR.

LHC30Victory
07-23-2004, 08:46 AM
Originally posted by HARDCORE-SKI
50HrSOrOnCEayeaR.
Kinda gotta read this with eyes like Marty Feldman!

FRENCHIE
07-23-2004, 08:53 AM
Originally posted by Bre
It's not hard to change the oil. I can teach you one time if your out there at the same time we are. It'll sabve you a bunch of money if you can do it yourself too:)
can i sign up for this one on one course!!:confused: :p ;)

Havasu Cig
07-23-2004, 08:56 AM
Engines every 20, drives every 30.

Bre
07-23-2004, 08:58 AM
Originally posted by FRENCHIE
can i sign up for this one on one course!!:confused: :p ;)
Sure... when are you going out again??? It is really very easy.... espec. if a girl knows how to do it;)

FRENCHIE
07-23-2004, 09:04 AM
Originally posted by Bre
Sure... when are you going out again??? It is really very easy.... espec. if a girl knows how to do it;)
gonna be at mojave this weekend...but not down to your way...havasu for two or three weeks! im in....will let ya know!;)

Dan Lorenze
07-23-2004, 09:05 AM
Once a season...
I have hose that is attached to the bottom of my oil pan (like most boats). The hose is long enough to go out of my drainplug hole. I feed the hose through the drainplug hole, take the cap off, then attach a "Drill pump" on the end of the hose.. I connect my drill motor to the drill pump and let her rip.. If you don't use a drill pump it would take hours for the oil to drain all the way out (on my boat). With the drill pump, I can get all the oil drained out in about 5 minutes.. I change the filter and spin on a new one.
You can get a drill pump from most hardware stores, you'll have to buy the correct size tubing for the pump and your drain hose.
They're cheap, maybe 10 bucks...
I buy my oil at Costco for 10 bucks a case and Walmart has filters for 3 bucks...
Dan

Bre
07-23-2004, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by FRENCHIE
gonna be at mojave this weekend...but not down to your way...havasu for two or three weeks! im in....will let ya know!;)
Sounds good:)

Bre
07-23-2004, 09:12 AM
Originally posted by Dan Lorenze
Once a season...
I have hose that is attached to the bottom of my oil pan (like most boats). The hose is long enough to go out of my drainplug hole. I feed the hose through the drainplug hole, take the cap off, then attach a "Drill pump" on the end of the hose.. I connect my drill motor to the drill pump and let her rip.. If you don't use a drill pump it would take hours for the oil to drain all the way out (on my boat). With the drill pump, I can get all the oil drained out in about 5 minutes.. I change the filter and spin on a new one.
You can get a drill pump from most hardware stores, you'll have to buy the correct size tubing for the pump and your drain hose.
They're cheap, maybe 10 bucks...
I buy my oil at Costco for 10 bucks a case and Walmart has filters for 3 bucks...
Dan
There you go guys... that's how it is done. See it's easy:p

Tom Brown
07-23-2004, 09:19 AM
I change my oil every time a cylinder fires to a maximum of about 48000 oil changes per minute.

rivercrazy
07-23-2004, 09:20 AM
I change my engine and drive oil every 30 hours.

Dr. Eagle
07-23-2004, 09:24 AM
50HrSOrOnCEayeaR.
For a small block.... true.
For a big block with forged pistons... more often. I cut my oil change duration down to 35 hours because of the blow by and oil consumption in the big block. The oil gets contaminated more quickly.
With the Ultra and the small block, I stick with your formula.
If you only change the oil once a season, change it before lay-up do not wait until the spring. The impurities in the dirty oil will combine with water from moisture in the air or in condensation inside the motor to create nitric acid. Your motor will be much happier.

Dan Lorenze
07-23-2004, 09:31 AM
If you only change the oil once a season, change it before lay-up do not wait until the spring. The impurities in the dirty oil will combine with water from moisture in the air or in condensation inside the motor to create nitric acid. Your motor will be much happier.
Good point!! :D

El Chingon
07-23-2004, 09:39 AM
Change our engine oil every 20 hours and oil filter every other change.We change the drive oil every 30 hours. Not very hard to do...saves some cash too.

CrazyHippy
07-23-2004, 09:54 AM
Everytime i add gas....
And the lower gets changed every 12-15hrs.... surfacing props is hard on those gears.
BJH

Essex502
07-23-2004, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by Havasu_Dreamin
Scott....I've got one of them afncy "oil suckers" if you wanna' learn how!

jackpunx
07-23-2004, 10:02 AM
I do mine every 20 hrs and get the drive done everytime I do the oil.. every 3rd time I do the water pump..
If the oil smells to much like gas.. I'll change it then.. I may over do it a little.. but so far.. thats all Ive had to do with this boat.. So if it works.. dont fix it..lol

Hallett19
07-23-2004, 10:13 AM
I change it once to twice a season

Sandbar Mike
07-23-2004, 10:23 AM
I try to change my oil as often as possible, about every 3rd trip out. A little excessive but you cant beat preventitive maintenance.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/522/40f004-med.JPG
I'm hoping she'll last me a while
;) :p

HCS
07-23-2004, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by Dr. Eagle
For a big block with forged pistons... more often. I cut my oil change duration down to 35 hours because of the blow by and oil consumption in the big block. The oil gets contaminated more quickly.
What motor do you have in your boat? A big block?
Just curious.:)

Tom Brown
07-23-2004, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by Sandbar Mike
I try to change my oil as often as possible...
Come on Mike, you've never had oil or gas near that motor. Holy cow! That's a clean engine compartment. :D
Very, very nice. :cool: :cool:

Sandbar Mike
07-23-2004, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by Tom Brown
Come on Mike, you've never had oil or gas near that motor. Holy cow! That's a clean engine compartment. :D
Very, very nice. :cool: :cool:
Tom I try like hell,
thanks

mickeyfinn
07-23-2004, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by Dr. Eagle
If you are going to only change it once/year it is best to do it at the end of the season. If you store your boat outdoors in an area that sees high humidities and large temp swings then it is a good idea to "pickle" it for the off season. Fill the crankcase FULL of oil (not just to the full mark). This will prevent condensation from accumulating during the off season. Then before using the boat drain it down to the proper operating level. May waste a couple of quarts but beats engine problems.

Havasu_Dreamin
07-23-2004, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by Essex502
Scott....I've got one of them afncy "oil suckers" if you wanna' learn how!
I definitely think I need to learn how. Question is, should I have you or Bre teach me? You're both married, but frankly, she's better to look at than you are! LMAO :p
My apologies if in any way Bre or Andy we're offended by the above.

Dr. Eagle
07-23-2004, 12:51 PM
What motor do you have in your boat? A big block?
Just curious.:)
The boat I have now is a 350. The boat I sold a year ago... had twin 502s...

SHAKEN Not Stirred
07-25-2004, 01:27 PM
Motor & drive every 20 hours.....
Cheap insurance.....
CJG
:cool: