PDA

View Full Version : Boating with children

KineticoH20
04-06-2006, 07:30 PM
Have any of you ever went to the lake with just the young kids? if so how did you handle launching and loading the boat back up. Reason I ask is I want to take my 11 yr old on a dad/son trip this weekend, but don't kow how I would swing it.

advantage21
04-06-2006, 07:34 PM
i have taken my five year old out by myself just unload the boat tie it up park the truck and run back down to the dock, also depends where you go and how busy it is.

phebus
04-06-2006, 07:35 PM
I've done it with my daughter many times. I didn't let her leave my side, and it was just like when you launch and retreive your boat by yourself.
You and your son back boat in, you both get out, get on boat and bring it to the dock, walk back to vehicle, park vehicle, and walk back to boat for a great day.

shadow
04-06-2006, 07:35 PM
Have any of you ever went to the lak with just the young kids? if so how did you handle launching and loading the boat back up. Rason I ask is I want to take my 11 yr old on a dad/son trip this weekend, but don't kow how I would swing it.
I'd keep him in the truck with you at the launch ramp away from traffic,water "danger".Launch the boat tie it to the courtesy dock.Run up park the truck with your son then hustle back to the boat tied to the dock.
Your son will always remember how "My Dad" launched and parked the truck all by himself.Have a great time out there with your boy.

KineticoH20
04-06-2006, 07:39 PM
I would be afraid that people would get bent at Windsor or Kathrines because I didn't pull the trailer out right away and tied up the ramp.

OutCole'd
04-06-2006, 07:41 PM
I would be afraid that people would get bent at Windsor or Kathrines because I didn't pull the trailer out right away and tied up the ramp.
I would think that when it is busy there, that may get rough. What about the marina? I hate that place, but it might be easier there.

redneckgirl
04-06-2006, 07:42 PM
It should be no problem. I would do the boat like you were by yourself. Family radios would also be great for this. I would feel comfortable leaving my 12 yr old son at the dock with the boat by himself...but he is also a competition swimmer!!! Have a great time with your son!!! :)
RNG

Charley
04-06-2006, 07:42 PM
Have any of you ever went to the lake with just the young kids? if so how did you handle launching and loading the boat back up. Reason I ask is I want to take my 11 yr old on a dad/son trip this weekend, but don't kow how I would swing it.
Ive done this....try park moabi up near needles it has a sandy beach next to the ramp to just stab it into rather than taking the time to fender and tie up.... have fun with the boy...GREAT BONDING TIME!!!!

phebus
04-06-2006, 07:44 PM
No different than launching by yourself, you just have to be courteous, and avoid the busy times at the launch area. Launch early, and retreive either early afternoon, or after the late day rush.
If your proficient, it really doesn't take much longer.

YeLLowBoaT
04-06-2006, 07:45 PM
When I was that age it was my job to put the plug in, hook up the gas and prime it...( OB) I also use to start the boat and "warm it up" if you have a I/o you could show him how to trun on the blower.... Even a small job will make them feel like they really did something.
this is all assuming the ramp is not full of ppl.

OutCole'd
04-06-2006, 07:47 PM
Every season I take my kids, either just one at a time or both and we hit the lake. Great times. That is the stuff they remember I hope.
Also helps if you stay at someplace that has a private launch ramp.

Partycattin
04-06-2006, 08:17 PM
Take your son to the Kmart parking lot for a quick lesson in backing the truck up with the boat.
Hit Site 6 and let the kid have a run at it. He can't do any worse than most of the idiots that launch there or park there trucks on the ramp for 20 minutes while they try to get their 1971 Bayliner to start.
I have seen others do it and most people will lend you a hand.

KineticoH20
04-06-2006, 08:36 PM
Take your son to the Kmart parking lot for a quick lesson in backing the truck up with the boat.
Hit Site 6 and let the kid have a run at it. He can't do any worse than most of the idiots that launch there or park there trucks on the ramp for 20 minutes while they try to get their 1971 Bayliner to start.
I have seen others do it and most people will lend you a hand.
You got to be kidding right, let my 11 yr old back a escalade and an Ultra down a ramp.
Although I wanted to go to Havasu, I think the best idea is to go to park Moabi, but that means staying in Needles, anyone know where to stay in Needles?

HMF'er
04-06-2006, 08:57 PM
C'mon, give him a chance. If he does a good job, reward him with a beer.

Havasu_Dreamin
04-06-2006, 08:59 PM
Although I wanted to go to Havasu, I think the best idea is to go to park Moabi, but that means staying in Needles, anyone know where to stay in Needles?
Better to stay in Laughlin than Needles. Personally, if I were there and you were to ask me to help out because it was just you and your son I would gladly help. I would think you could find someone to watch the boat for you, but understand if you're hesitant.

MAINEVENT
04-06-2006, 09:02 PM
Ive done this....try park moabi up near needles it has a sandy beach next to the ramp to just stab it into rather than taking the time to fender and tie up.... have fun with the boy...GREAT BONDING TIME!!!!
What he said^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Great times i did it with triplets i looked like a circus act but it was well worth it when your just chillin in the water with just you and your kids.... :rollside: Its what boating is all about.... IMO

TRUMP TIGHT
04-06-2006, 09:06 PM
F M! Just do what you need to do to have a nice day on the lake with your son.

eman1625
04-06-2006, 09:09 PM
maybe try launching at some of the areas south...Springs or cattail. I think I would head down there if it were busy. a little less stressfull

xs ultra
04-06-2006, 09:10 PM
If your located in chino hills and want to boat for a few hours ,puddingstone lake is good .easy to lauch there's no stress.Also a sandy area by the far or left side ramp.I have done with my kidd and my self .Had a great time and got to test the boat out.Remember boating days are even days only ,odd day are sea doo days.Have fun.you kid will also have a fun time.

svlperry
04-06-2006, 09:44 PM
in needles i would stay at the best western of the colorado river right off west broadway about a block down on the right

bignet
04-06-2006, 10:16 PM
When he's 13 give the lil guy a shot...of red bull! Hell no don't let the boy drive your cadi.... I've got a 4 yr old and 2 yr old, and I leave them in my escalade while I launch and tie up in the marina. Just be courteous and don't try it during peak times. However, if it's not a huge weekend, most river rats are pretty cool especially if you've got kids. Drunk and disorderly, however will get someone knocked out! :crossx:
bignet

Squirtin Thunder
04-06-2006, 10:59 PM
My daughter is the one that runs the show, ask Tom.
She handles launching and holding of the boat. If I don't do it right she lets me know quick !!! I think it is quite funny hw some people shelter their kids. I mean my daughter has built engines, that we have raced, know the proper proseadures for boating can handle and control the boat and knows how to fix it if somthing happens. It is almost like I am not needed. Oh yeah, she is only 9.

shueman
04-07-2006, 05:01 AM
I've done it several times at Windsor....no problems....just pick a slow time / week-day at the ramp.... :cool:

Partycattin
04-07-2006, 06:06 AM
Any thoughts on staying at AVI? I've heard they have a pretty nice beach area for the kids to play and you won't be far from Park Moabi.

TOBTEK
04-07-2006, 06:14 AM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/135new_boat_day_-Jan_06_015-med.jpg
BOATING WITH CHILDREN ....... whats the problem??? Love it, now I have a "D-D" ... she can drive it better then me.... :)
Seriously though..... I have been stressed about the whole launching thing as well. Wifey is a novice at best at backing the trailer down, and what do we do with the screaming 18 mo old ???

Tremor Therapy
04-07-2006, 06:33 AM
I'd keep him in the truck with you at the launch ramp away from traffic,water "danger".Launch the boat tie it to the courtesy dock.Run up park the truck with your son then hustle back to the boat tied to the dock.
Your son will always remember how "My Dad" launched and parked the truck all by himself.Have a great time out there with your boy.
Exactly what I have done for years Shadow! When we started boating again my kids were 3 and 6 and what Shadow wrote was exactly what we did. They sat in the truck with me, I backed the boat down, tied it up at the dock, and then we went together and parked the truck.
Interestingly enough, I rarely had any issues at the dock. Most people would see that I was by myself with 2 small children, and many would idle off the dock so that I could tie up. Courteous behavior begets courteous behavior, so if they did give up their spot for me, I'd "even" the score by offering up some cold ones!

a catered life
04-07-2006, 07:12 AM
i have done a single trip with my son and man hes the best boat helper (since sean mr racer, who by the way is the best boat biacth ever) my sone the great helper helps me do everything starting at the house he fills the ice chest, moves them to the boat, we generally stop at walmart to get ice he fills the bags with ice, stores al the other stuff. when we get where were going he gets in the boat and puts on his vest first and gives me the plugs, he opens the hatch, turns on the batteries, makes sure all the cushions are secure, snaps down the hatch and takes his seat...he loves it and its a great bonding for you too....you know the man stuff and my son just turned 9 this year have fun just watch carefully :p

Wake Havasu
04-07-2006, 07:16 AM
I've done it with my daughter many times. I didn't let her leave my side, and it was just like when you launch and retreive your boat by yourself.
You and your son back boat in, you both get out, get on boat and bring it to the dock, walk back to vehicle, park vehicle, and walk back to boat for a great day.
Amen.
Keep the kid(s) with you at all times.
And if any get upset that it takes a little longer for your launch, screw ‘em.
Life is way too short and you only have a brief time with your kids.

WYRD
04-07-2006, 07:18 AM
Last year I took the kids a couple of times and usually found some hot boater at the launch ramp to help launch............someone on these fourms is always out there, go figure :idea: :cool:

Daytona100
04-07-2006, 07:31 AM
Id be concerned about leaving my kids in the car and waiting. Been a few trucks slideing into the lake lately. That would freak me out. Your backing up the boat looking for a place to tie up and you see your trailer truck and kid slideing into the water. I think I like the idea of keeping the kids with me at all times.

Boa1277
04-07-2006, 07:33 AM
Great thread! I have been using my sons expertise since he was around 6yrs old. when he was six I would launch the boat and have him hold it off to the side of the ramp in ankle deep water while I parked the truck, I would always do this on Fri. morning or when the ramp was not busy. Now that he is 10yrs old I get the boat started he idles it just outside the launch area and he will pick me up on one of the side docks, I have to say he has been driving boats since he was old enough to see over the dash, you should see him drive the big boats during the summer when I go down and take a leak, it is very funny to see 40 or 50 faces when I go walking down stairs and they wonder who is driving and look up and see it is a 9yr old kid, granted he only does this for 5 or so minutes and usually there is not another boat within a couple of miles but it is always good for a laugh. (by the way the big boat only does 11 knots and I tell him to stay true to course.) I guess it really depends on the kid, and how much you trust him. They are just kids and you have to be aware of other boaters and you would never want him to hurt someone else so make sure he is capable before letting him take the wheel.

Debbolas
04-07-2006, 07:43 AM
Squirting Thunder has his daughter with him all the time:D
Have a blast! They are never too young to learn. We spend many summers teaching our oldest daughter (she got really good) then she goes off to college and decides she..............(drumroll) HATES THE RIVER How can anyone hate the river? :rolleyes: So now we are trainning the other two.....

KineticoH20
04-07-2006, 01:54 PM
C'mon, give him a chance. If he does a good job, reward him with a beer.
vYea then I could take him to the red room for some shots and then get him a hooker :cool:
Actually were stayin in Needles and launching at Moabi, we'll be in a 21 green and purple Ultra.

voodoomedman
04-07-2006, 02:57 PM
You got to be kidding right, let my 11 yr old back a escalade and an Ultra down a ramp.
You can still go to Havi. If you want an uncrowded ramp PM and I'll tell you where to go for a nice uncrowded beautfiul ramp. I'd tell you here but then I'd get reemed for saying it out in public.

DEMOMAN
04-07-2006, 04:07 PM
As mentioned earlier launching at Moabi is great with only on driver, beach is close to ramp. If your staying in Havi try the nautical you can launch and beach next to the ramp while you go park.

ELVIS
04-07-2006, 04:59 PM
Id be concerned about leaving my kids in the car and waiting. Been a few trucks slideing into the lake lately. That would freak me out. Your backing up the boat looking for a place to tie up and you see your trailer truck and kid slideing into the water. I think I like the idea of keeping the kids with me at all times.
a few years ago a child died at lake smellsomemore, they were belted in and parents were launching. truck rolled back in the lake. no one was able to rescue them in time gas in water made it impossible to reach them. after reading about that i have eveyone take seatbelt off and widows down as we come down the ramp. i have let my son's help/learn as soon as possible.