PDA

View Full Version : First River Trip

78Southwind
04-06-2006, 07:32 PM
This will be our first river trip with Roxy. Anyone have a clue on how to introduce Roxy to the water? A friend of mine said he just threw a ball into the water and the dog thought it could walk on water and found itÂ’s self swimming. Sounds logical to me. Anyone else have any other ideas.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1676Roxy_River_Ready.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1676Roxy_Southwind.jpg

Mrs.Racer277
04-06-2006, 08:01 PM
We took our dog when she was a pup to the lake. She saw the water and just ran right into it. I keep her on a leash on the boat. I do not trust her not to jump out. She loves the water.
Good luck.

Wake Havasu
04-06-2006, 08:04 PM
How ridiculous a pfd vest for the dog!
er Â… ah Of course I have one for mine as well!
:rollside:

Riverat84
04-06-2006, 08:29 PM
How ridiculous a pfd vest for the dog!
er Â… ah Of course I have one for mine as well!
:rollside:\
eh i think its a pretty cool idea for the pup...never saw them until now.
Reid

78Southwind
04-07-2006, 05:54 AM
Yeah we thought it was a pretty good idea to get the dog a vest since she is just a pup. We saw the vest at the boat show and the vendor said that they had a Puppy Exchange Program. After your dog grows out of the vest you can trade it in for a bigger size and only pay shipping as long as the price is the same. If the new vest is more then you just pay shipping and the difference in price. They are a little more expensive than other vests but with the Puppy Exchange Program it is worth it to us. Here is the website if anyone needs more info.
http://www.doggydocks.com/index_files/Ruffwear.htm

Tremor Girl
04-07-2006, 06:20 AM
She's a lab. I think the only trouble you'd have with her is keeping her out of the water! We took ours when she was about 4 months old and have been unable to keep her out since. Just make sure you keep a leash on her until her recall is solid. Our girl is 10 months old now and we still keep a leash on her. If she sees a duck, she instantly becomes deaf and is gone :p Good luck and the PFD is a great idea. It really helps getting them back in the boat if you're floating. BTW, Roxy is gorgeous!
http://usera.imagecave.com/lakelover/Montourpics/muddydog1-copy-copy.jpg

Miss Managed Assets
04-07-2006, 06:33 AM
Thanks! We will definitely have her on a leash, her recall is not that good yet when she is really after something specific. :rollside:

Squirtin Thunder
04-07-2006, 06:40 AM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1676Roxy_Southwind-med.jpg
I keep hearing Roxy saying, Dad why do you have a hotrod boat ??? We need a Duck boat !!!

HefeRaton
04-07-2006, 06:57 AM
You'll have a harder time keeping her out of the water. I just picked up a 12 week old lab for my son and the first thing that dog did when she got home was jump in the pool. Our other lab goes with us to the lake and she loves it. Good luck and have fun.

NOTALENT
04-07-2006, 07:17 AM
Yeah we thought it was a pretty good idea to get the dog a vest since she is just a pup. We saw the vest at the boat show and the vendor said that they had a Puppy Exchange Program. After your dog grows out of the vest you can trade it in for a bigger size and only pay shipping as long as the price is the same. If the new vest is more then you just pay shipping and the difference in price. They are a little more expensive than other vests but with the Puppy Exchange Program it is worth it to us. Here is the website if anyone needs more info.
That vest is a great idea...now she can float through the channel with you and the ice chest..... :crossx:
On a serious note....it's awesome...I know my buddies boxer's can use it....they just sink... :D

Debbolas
04-07-2006, 07:49 AM
We take our pups to the river when they are young, they get use to the car ride, the boat ride, etc....Sonny loves it! but Blondie is a little water shy and can't swim well (they are both labs)
I need to get her a vest...........
Also the pavement in the summer is super hot, so watch their feet. We once had to use towels to get our dogs from the marina to our trailer, the ground was so hot.....July at Lake Mohave......... :)
Introduce her to the water slowly and gently, I've hear stories about labs hating water because they were introduced to it the wrong way. Does she swim at home? If so that's half the battle.:D
Sonny gets bored, if no one throws the frisbee for him, he sticks his head under the water and brings rocks up onto the beach.....(anyone elses dog do this?) :rolleyes:

roostwear
04-07-2006, 08:34 AM
Damn Jerry, you gonna be an overprotective mother to the DOG? Just put it at the shoreline, and let it discover it in it's own way. No need for a lifevest.... it's an instinct. On second thought, do it. I'll need the laugh seeing a lab Obie's size with a lifevest on http://www.roostwear.com/forum/images/smiles/icon_drown.gif

Tremor Girl
04-07-2006, 01:57 PM
We take our pups to the river when they are young, they get use to the car ride, the boat ride, etc....Sonny loves it! but Blondie is a little water shy and can't swim well (they are both labs)
I need to get her a vest...........
Also the pavement in the summer is super hot, so watch their feet. We once had to use towels to get our dogs from the marina to our trailer, the ground was so hot.....July at Lake Mohave......... :)
Introduce her to the water slowly and gently, I've hear stories about labs hating water because they were introduced to it the wrong way. Does she swim at home? If so that's half the battle.:D
Sonny gets bored, if no one throws the frisbee for him, he sticks his head under the water and brings rocks up onto the beach.....(anyone elses dog do this?) :rolleyes:
Lola will hunt rocks, sticks, anything she can find if she thinks you'll throw it for her :p
I agree with you 100% on the hot pavement Deb. So many times we've been at the docks and someone is yelling at their dog to "settle down"! DUH! If it's hot on your feet moron, it's hot on your dogs paws. Our friends dog wound up with 3rd degree burns from the docks at Katherins Landing
Please check the pavement before you try to walk your dog across it. :hammer2:

moneypit
04-07-2006, 02:20 PM
You have a water dog and you want to know how to introduce it to the water? Well lose the lifevest...
I would suggest undoing the leash, grab a stick and throw it in the water and say "fetch". I must be an expert because its worked on 100% of my dogs. you wont be able to keep that dog out of the water or other peoples boats.. :)

Holland
04-07-2006, 02:24 PM
Our first dog we took (Lab) wasn't fond of the water. He didn't seem to care about the ball in the water, but he went exploring and came back with a crow he killed. i threw it in the water, he is now an avid swimmer and cant keep him out of the water.
Answer, throw something dead in the water... The dog will be gone!!!!!

Restless22
04-07-2006, 03:05 PM
I think the life vest in the boat is a must! If an accident ever occors in the middle of the lake, the dog will get tired of swimming.... Once on shore, I would take it off. :)
Congrats on the Lab. Hands down a great, great dog!

78Southwind
04-07-2006, 03:49 PM
Damn Jerry, you gonna be an overprotective mother to the DOG? Just put it at the shoreline, and let it discover it in it's own way. No need for a lifevest.... it's an instinct. On second thought, do it. I'll need the laugh seeing a lab Obie's size with a lifevest on http://www.roostwear.com/forum/images/smiles/icon_drown.gif
Damn Mike.............
You're grumpy on the internet. :rolleyes: :) The vest is mainly for the boat and the Sea Doo. Yes, I said it Sea Doo. We make a lot of trips to Topock and the Sand Bar so I feel a little better having the vest on her.
My neighbors lab hates the water and I don't want that to happen to Roxy. We make to many trips to the River to leave have to leave her at home. I donÂ’t think I have seen Obie on the boat with you guys do you bring him out on the boat?

78Southwind
04-07-2006, 03:55 PM
She's a lab. I think the only trouble you'd have with her is keeping her out of the water! We took ours when she was about 4 months old and have been unable to keep her out since. Just make sure you keep a leash on her until her recall is solid. Our girl is 10 months old now and we still keep a leash on her. If she sees a duck, she instantly becomes deaf and is gone :p Good luck and the PFD is a great idea. It really helps getting them back in the boat if you're floating. BTW, Roxy is gorgeous!
http://usera.imagecave.com/lakelover/Montourpics/muddydog1-copy-copy.jpg
Nice pictureÂ….do you care to elaborate about the muddy paws and big smile the dog is wearing. It looks like she caught what ever she was chasing.

78Southwind
04-07-2006, 03:58 PM
That vest is a great idea...now she can float through the channel with you and the ice chest..... :crossx:
:
Floating?.....She is going to be pulling me through the channel. Got to earn those treats. :)

NOTALENT
04-07-2006, 06:07 PM
Floating?.....She is going to be pulling me through the channel. Got to earn those treats. :)
Haha...and if for some reason you sink....she can pull you out... :crossx:

Miss Managed Assets
04-08-2006, 02:32 AM
LMAO! :) !

bchbum
04-08-2006, 06:13 AM
I think the vest has a handle on top, so it's easy to pick the dog up from the water when your in the boat . :cool:

roostwear
04-08-2006, 06:18 AM
Damn Mike.............
You're grumpy on the internet. :rolleyes: :) The vest is mainly for the boat and the Sea Doo. Yes, I said it Sea Doo. We make a lot of trips to Topock and the Sand Bar so I feel a little better having the vest on her.
My neighbors lab hates the water and I don't want that to happen to Roxy. We make to many trips to the River to leave have to leave her at home. I donÂ’t think I have seen Obie on the boat with you guys do you bring him out on the boat?
Wearing a vest on the boat (as a puppy) is a good idea. I had a mental picture of Roxy on the beach, full grown, wearing a vest. (sportin' that short bus look)
Obie doesn't go out with us much anymore, He's big and heavy, and getting him in and out of the boat is an ordeal. Here's another mental picture.... Obie on a seadoo..... no room for anyone else!

Squirtin Thunder
04-08-2006, 06:45 AM
Here is another one Mike on a Seadoo

Tremor Girl
04-08-2006, 11:08 AM
Nice pictureÂ….do you care to elaborate about the muddy paws and big smile the dog is wearing. It looks like she caught what ever she was chasing.
Labs love water and digging. I snapped this pic after I got her outside! She came through the dog door, over the bed around the couch.....you get the idea. Just wait. Everyday it's something else :hammerhea But, I wouldn't change a thing. She's a blast :p

Miss Managed Assets
04-08-2006, 12:23 PM
Labs love water and digging. I snapped this pic after I got her outside! She came through the dog door, over the bed around the couch.....you get the idea. Just wait. Everyday it's something else :hammerhea But, I wouldn't change a thing. She's a blast :p
To cute, yea they do love the indy 500 when they first came in from outside!

Miss Managed Assets
04-08-2006, 12:30 PM
Here is another one Mike on a Seadoo
Hee Hee! :rollside: Hey, we rolled into havi. at 2:30am this morning, gotta love the Arizona weather.

72Hallett
04-09-2006, 07:27 PM
Hee Hee! :rollside: Hey, we rolled into havi. at 2:30am this morning, gotta love the Arizona weather.
Your in Havy? I'm still waiting for my call. I don't want to hear about the dog or the vest. I want to hear about the madian voyage. Did it run? Did it sink? Did it fly? Details.

WUTWZAT
04-09-2006, 07:44 PM
Hey isn't this considered spam? LOL! Damn, I just bumped your spam man.
So when is the first trip Jerry? Pup looks cute too, hope to see you out there real soon. Jason

78Southwind
04-17-2006, 01:28 PM
I still have a couple minor things to finish on the boat. Roxy loved the water she was a little gun shy at first but she followed me off of the shore about 25Â’. Here is a picture of her at a small rock bar just off of Windsor Beach. She wasnÂ’t real happy here she had just jumped back on the Sea Doo after taking a nose dive off the other side. :)
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/1676Roxy_SeaDoo_Lake_Havasu.jpg

Tremor Girl
04-17-2006, 02:05 PM
OMG She's soooooooo cute. I was wondering how she did. Here's one of Lola being the Princess that she is
http://usera.imagecave.com/lakelover/100_0105-copy.jpg

redneckgirl
04-17-2006, 02:14 PM
OMG She's soooooooo cute. I was wondering how she did. Here's one of Lola being the Princess that she is
TG,
You 3 going to the regatta this year??? Can't wait to meet Lola :rollside: Is it July yet!!! :220v: :)
RNG

Legal Chemistry
04-17-2006, 04:28 PM
That's awesome! PLEASE COVER THEIR FEET!!!!!!!!! You can use the "snow shoes" or something like that. It's sad to see a dog walk across a parking lot at 115 degrees in August.... I've yelled at people and picked their dogs up, and they don't have a clue. Just tell them to take there pretty sandels off and walk (end rant.) Now if I can only figure out how to post my pic....

Tremor Girl
04-17-2006, 06:11 PM
Hi Shelly, we'll be there again this year if we still have the boat. I think we're going to try to sell it when we get home from Powell. With Lola, I think it's time for a deck boat :p

Tremor Girl
04-17-2006, 06:16 PM
That's awesome! PLEASE COVER THEIR FEET!!!!!!!!! You can use the "snow shoes" or something like that. It's sad to see a dog walk across a parking lot at 115 degrees in August.... I've yelled at people and picked their dogs up, and they don't have a clue. Just tell them to take there pretty sandels off and walk (end rant.) Now if I can only figure out how to post my pic....
That's a huge pet peeve for me too. What are people thinking? :hammer2:
I've tried a couple different kinds of dog boots and none of them would stay on so I came up with the idea of using baby no-skid socks. She looks silly but they stay on better than anything I've tried and she doesn't mind them at all.
P.S. Your dogs are gorgeous :cool:

Legal Chemistry
04-18-2006, 10:45 AM
Thanks Tremor.... That's mom and her two boys :). I'd love to take them to Hav. in the summer... but it's just too darn hot! Maybe this spring they come out.

Mrs. casean
04-18-2006, 10:59 AM
OMG that is such a cute picture! I can't wait to take my dog out for her first time! I am going to get her the booties and a life jacket (to be safe) before she makes her maiden voyage to the water. They are so cute out there! Lots of good looking dogs in this thread!!!