PDA

View Full Version : Odd watew leak????

nowheels
07-24-2004, 04:13 PM
When I am crusin 3500-4000 rpm all is good, but when I nail it the bildge fills up in a hurry. I dont know where the water is comming from. I replaced the packing, but no help.
Any ideas on where it might be comming from.

Floored
07-24-2004, 04:44 PM
check the hose from the pump to engine, when pressurized at full throttle they will sometimes cause severe problems, I darned near sunk a jet from that line popping in the middle of a lake.

MudPumper
07-24-2004, 06:31 PM
check the bolts on the bowl, if you lost the gasket or seal, water can go through the threads and into the boat. I had some work done on mine and the guy forgot to put the bowl gasket on and water was pouring out of the bolt holes.

nowheels
07-25-2004, 07:41 AM
Thanks for the ideas. I think I have these covered as well. I replaced the line from the pump to the to the engine with steel pipe and braided steel line. The pump is set back so if the bowl was leaking it would be outside the boat.
Anybody else please chime in.:confused:

1Bahnerjet
07-25-2004, 07:50 AM
O.K. not good new's
it could be leakin' around the intake piece (you know where the loader grate sit's in) :(
if that's it you will have to re-set it (not Fun)
if you do a Search you will find step by step instructions.

Floored
07-25-2004, 08:17 AM
put a few inches of water in boat and climb under and look for a leak. put in plug!!!

Hallett19
07-25-2004, 08:33 AM
if it leaks only when you get on it, then you probably have a problem somewhere in the cooling system. The only other thing is if you have a crack somwhere in the hull, it will mostly take water on when you are at speed. Check the bottom for a hairline fracture, check the whole boat, espiecaially near the middle. If its not the hull, it could be absolutley anywhere. freeze plugs, cooling lines, cracks in your exhaust....... good luck !

kp216
07-25-2004, 09:09 AM
It sounds to me like it's in the cooling somewhere. How about taking a buddy along and have them search for the leak while you're gettin' on it? If it's filling up as fast as you say it is, it ought to be real easy to spot.

dgie
07-25-2004, 12:11 PM
Sure pays off being part of this board,,,,I am having the same exact problem. Burned out my bilge pump yesterday getting the water out. Mine fills up when I am getting on it , yet nothing when I am sitting idle. I am suspecting the cooling lines also. Floored I was also thinking of doing what you said about filling it up and crawling under to look for a leak. Good idea, reverse engineering.

nowheels
07-25-2004, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by kp216
It sounds to me like it's in the cooling somewhere. How about taking a buddy along and have them search for the leak while you're gettin' on it? If it's filling up as fast as you say it is, it ought to be real easy to spot.
I can't get anybody to get close to this beast when I'm runnin at wot. I can't figure out why.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/506/1841engine_in_boat_01.jpg
I did the water in the boat and there is a very small leak around the intake but I don't think it 's causing the problem(one drip per min):confused:

Floored
07-25-2004, 07:37 PM
need friends with hair on their a$$. small leak when you are torquing the boat and pump could get much bigger. 6-800 pounds of torque could be moving things around. nice engine by the way. how about a friend with a mirror on a stick?

Cs19
07-25-2004, 07:54 PM
Pressurize your cooling sys. and check for leaks.
Nice boat by the way!

chadjones99
07-25-2004, 08:04 PM
put in a 2nd buldge pump ! , cheap investment till you find it,
good luck, so far the putting water in the boat and getting under it sound good, also put some food coloring in you water line and hook a hose till it some how, and see if it gets in boat. sound like you got some great advice from these other people !
chad

fleetimus
07-25-2004, 09:03 PM
My boat is getting quite a bit of water in the bilge from the header weep holes. Could be the same in yours.

dgie
07-25-2004, 09:16 PM
Not trying to jack this thread, but I am having the same problem and am also trying to figure out whats going on. On mine I checked the plumbing today by hooking a water hose up and running water thru it. I have a gate valve just before it goes out of the boat. I closed it just a little bit and seen nothing leaking in the plumbing. I then put the plug in and filled it up with a little bit of water like Floored mentioned, then crawled under it. I Seen the same, a couple dribbles nothing special. If it is coming out of the weep holes in the headers how do you minimize it? I can easily check for it, by shutting the gate valve to the headers and running it across the lake. but need to fix it if that is it.

Danhercules
07-26-2004, 06:03 AM
if you are getting a drip with water in the boat, I bet thats your problem. under power and speed, you are dealing with a lot of pressure. How high did you fill the boat with water? 1/2 way up the pump? Just the pump intake?

Back Forty
07-26-2004, 06:32 AM
my oil cooler had a hairline crack that only leaked when I was on it...
Took me while to realize where the problem was...

dgie
07-26-2004, 07:37 AM
I filled it all the way up, until it started to pour out of the boat over the sides. Looked like a swimming pool in there........Just kiddding, :D I filled it up until it almost reached the oil filter, maybe 4 inches of water did not want to put too much in. I assume the best way is to check it in the water where most of the hull, including the pump is submerged. If you are talking about the little drip that I am getting from the transom adapter, I am not sure if that could be it, because most of that is not in the water at high speeds, because water is rushing by aft of the transom, so fast.

Floored
07-26-2004, 08:23 AM
when all else fails go to quiet out of way paved launch ramp. tie boat securely to trailer, back in enough to submerge pump. take a couple friends( with hair) start with clean dry bilge. fire off the boat on trailer and start watching at idle. put jet near a neutral position and slowly bring revs up, while having someones hand on key, and watch to see if any leaks appear through the cooling system or hull I ain't saying full throttle here, just put a pressure load on pump and lines and it will also stress the pump mounting and stringers and watch for leaks. and yes I've done this to find probs with my own boat just don't get carried away, with that engine you would land around OMAHA!! also if I don't get reverse bucket completely clear of nozzle it shoots a stream of water straight into the back of my boat, just one more thought. I'm not saying to do this it's just my way of duplicating a condition to find a problem

dgie
07-26-2004, 08:55 AM
sounds good to me, I will try that on mine next. I like the idea of having it on the trailer while it is taking on water. It wont end up at the bottom of the lake :)

HalletDave
07-26-2004, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by nowheels
When I am crusin 3500-4000 rpm all is good, but when I nail it the bildge fills up in a hurry. I dont know where the water is comming from. I replaced the packing, but no help.
Any ideas on where it might be comming from.
The same thing happened to JetBoatRich last year. It turned out to be a water hose that was leaking profusely under hard throttle. Check all your water hoses again or just replace them all.
Pretty cheap insurance if you ask me.;)
Good luck and tell us what you find.

rcurtis
07-27-2004, 09:30 PM
check the bolts on the intake to pump, i had a friends boat doing the same thing. filled the boat with water just like you guys same thing small leak around intake. put the boat in the water idle around no leaks. tear ass across the lake within seconds the boat would have 8-10 inches in it. check your bolts, may have the pump to intake gasket blown. thatwas his culprit .

Dan Lorenze
07-27-2004, 10:20 PM
I wrote a thread two weeks ago with the same problem.. A hoseclamp cut a hole in my water inlet, almost sank my boat.. When I got to the ramp, another jet was having the same problem.. Like everyone else said before.. Check your hoses.. Under a load the leak gets greater..
Dan :D