PDA

View Full Version : Got a ticket Friday evening

mud duck
07-24-2004, 07:23 PM
I played hooky from work Friday to go boating and test out my new 540 engine. On the water by noon, had fantastic sunny weather, finally headed to the ramp to pull it out about 6:40 PM. Not a block away from the ramp, a Wisconsin patrol boat flicks on his lights to check us out. Counted the life jackets, inspected the throwable, inspected the fire extinguisher, inspected the lights & horn, checked the registration and current Minnesota state license. Then tested my exhaust noise and found I was just over 100 decibels and the law is 86 decibels. So I got a $150 ticket! It was almost a perfect full day of cruising. We had passed several other patrol boats earlier in the day, we waved & they waved back. No problems with those guys, but then the first Wisconsin patrol boat they go through the whole nine yards. Luckily we were not dinking. They even had me open my engine hatch to see what exhaust setup I had (which is only Lighning headers). So now I am in the market for some mufflers. I here HPI mufflers are good, what about those GGB mufflers, and/or what does Rex sell these days? I am so pissed off. On a good note, the new engine ran like a top all day, but we kept it below 4500 rpms and varied the rpm a lot, just put-putting along most of the day. Any suggetions on mufflers?

Clown
07-24-2004, 07:29 PM
Check Out www.Livorsi.com
He has some new ones out this year.
And I can get you a Deal on them if you decide to go with them.:D

Danhercules
07-24-2004, 08:33 PM
Maybe I am not reading it right, but did you get a ticket AFTER you pulled the boat out and drove away from the ramp?
If so , WOW, that really sucks.

mud duck
07-24-2004, 08:42 PM
No, we were still in the water maybe a city block away from the ramp. By this time of day there were loads of people using the ramp, so we were jockeying for position, kind of waiting our turn to use the ramp. 20 minutes more and we would have been gone on the road heading home. :mad:

Rexone
07-25-2004, 01:53 AM
Originally posted by mud duck
what does Rex sell these days?
Our new PowerSilencer™ Tip Replacement Full Time Silencer will be available in approx 1-2 weeks. They replace standard exhaust tips in the transom and fit 4" hose. They will meet or exceed J2005 standards (dock test) which is basically 88 or 90 dBA depending on year of mfg measured 3.3 feet from the transom at 4-5 feet off the waterline.
This model will not adapt to a tailpipe that goes clear through the transom (clamp on model). That one is still being worked on.
Let me know if I can be of any assistance.
A complete description of the noise law for CA is listed here. Many states use identical test standards. (http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=22813&highlight=noise)

Sleek-Jet
07-25-2004, 05:33 AM
So the Rex Marine ones comming out will only be for OT headers for now, correct??

Rexone
07-25-2004, 05:45 AM
Originally posted by Sleek-Jet
So the Rex Marine ones comming out will only be for OT headers for now, correct??
Not for OT's.
Thru-transom SS Tip replacement model only initially.
Clamp-on 4.5" thru-transom model will be next. For thru transom 4.5" one-piece pipes or headers.
OT model requires different design that we're still experimenting with because of the lack of any appreciable amount of water to aid in silencing. I have no date estimate on a model for OT's yet as we are in very preliminary design stages on it. (Basically we don't have anything that works good enough yet and are still experimenting etc.) If it doesn't meet J2005 specs it's not worth building in my mind anyway although there is stuff on the market in this non-J2005 category. Anything that doesn't meet J2005 in CA next year won't be worth a crap if LE decides to enforce the law to the specs. That obviously remains to be seen and I'm sure will vary depending on where you do your boating.
The challenge remains to meet J2005 on OT's "without power loss". The second part of that being the tough part. Anyone can plug something up enough to make it quiet. That is not the objective we're after now.

Sleek-Jet
07-25-2004, 05:58 AM
Originally posted by Rexone
Not for OT's.
Thru-transom SS Tip replacement model only initially.
Clamp-on 4.5" thru-transom model will be next. For thru transom 4.5" one-piece pipes or headers.
OT model requires different design that we're still experimenting with because of the lack of any appreciable amount of water to aid in silencing. I have no date estimate on a model for OT's yet as we are in very preliminary design stages on it. (Basically we don't have anything that works good enough yet and are still experimenting etc.) If it doesn't meet J2005 specs it's not worth building in my mind anyway although there is stuff on the market in this non-J2005 category. Anything that doesn't meet J2005 in CA next year won't be worth a crap if LE decides to enforce the law to the specs. That obviously remains to be seen and I'm sure will vary depending on where you do your boating.
The challenge remains to meet J2005 on OT's "without power loss". The second part of that being the tough part. Anyone can plug something up enough to make it quiet. That is not the objective we're after now.
OK, that clears it up. :D
I didn't understand your first post about not adapting to an existing thru-transom pipe. You meant that I'll need to buy an entire new end to get the muffler, no clamp on yet.

Rexone
07-25-2004, 06:01 AM
The new "tip replacement" model (1-2 weeks) actually replaces a standard exhaust tip that would be mounted in the transom. Take the tip out, bolt the silencer tip in, simple deal.
The next one coming will be a clamp-on model designed to clamp around an existing thru-transom one-piece exhaust pipe or header (like a CMI tailpipe for example), where there is no separate tip mounted in the transom.
Hope that clarifys.
Unfortunately neither of the above help you on the OT setup.

Sleek-Jet
07-25-2004, 06:32 AM
Thanks for clearing that up Mike. :D

mud duck
08-16-2004, 09:54 AM
Last week I installed a set of HPI 4" clamp on silencers. This weekend we went out on the river and could not be happier with the results. The exhaust noise was reduced considerably, and my performance was not. I also think they fit in well along my swim platforms. They look like they belong.