PDA

View Full Version : Hey Fellas tryin to find my first Jet boat need some help doin it

JetRookie
07-24-2004, 07:29 PM
Hey guys, basically me and my cousin just turned 21. I own a 67 gto with a mild built 400(bore.30/cam/blah blah). Seems like the top 3 motors people are running are the 454s, 460s, and 455s. I dont have much expirence with the 460s or the 455s(although a couple buddies have some kick ass olds 442). My uncle has a 21ft 89 Hardin marine Carribean with a 454. hasn't given us much trouble over the years.
So over all what do you guys suggest? should I stay away from a specific motor(460s) or certain boat manufacturers(tahiti?) Everyone has their own opinion and I understand that, just need some help steered in the right direction.
We got about 6k saved up and would like something thats going to attract pu$$y, haul ass and not eat my $$$. hahha. So if anyone can help me out and give me a few pointed let me know.
By the way has anyone heard of a 72 'Jencer' with a 455? A guy is selling one but I've asked around and no one has a clue or have ever heard of the make of the boat.
Thanks in advance guys.
Here is some eye candy for you fellas...this eliminator is my absolute favorite boat I have yet to see. I wish I could find something like this bad boy!
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/521/410Picture_001-med.jpg

Nubbs
07-24-2004, 07:48 PM
Since nobody else is jumping in here, I'll give you my 2 cents worth. I wouldn't buy a boat with anything other than a GM big block. Parts are pretty easy to find, and relatively inexpensive. As far as jets are concerned, I like Dominator. As far as hulls are concerned........well, I don't have any advice on them. I had an 86 Nordic bubbledeck and I liked it. Good luck.

JetRookie
07-24-2004, 08:27 PM
Thanks for the info Nubbs, hopefully some more people post up and share their opinion too.

Sangster
07-24-2004, 09:05 PM
Stay away from the OLDS also...And make sure it has a Berkley pump...

FOURQ
07-24-2004, 09:07 PM
ok ill get on this one... i am partial to the BBC but the fords are really good to turning some really good #'s..i would try to stay with a berkeley pump as far as the hull i am partial to the Southwinds strong boat and very reliable never heard anyone say anything bad about them..but they all have their problem areas i would stay away from the no names like what you mentioned a ?? what Jencer wtf is that? as far as a boat not eating your $$$$ GET A ROW BOAT! you must not know what boat stands for?? (Bust Out Another Thousand)...just my .02

KARNAC
07-24-2004, 09:23 PM
Hello JetRookie,
After reading a number of posts in this forum, I believe the
454 is the most popular followed by the 460 Ford and 455 Olds.
I picked-up a 1973 Southwind Jet from "THE BOAT BROKER" at
Havasu,Az. last summer for less than 4K. It is pretty much stock
and is being used to tow the family around.
It's equiped with a 455 Olds. and Jacuzzi WJ pump. This isn't the
fastest rig on the water at this altitude of 5000 feet plus, however
it does a good job of towing.
If you go to the Hot Boat (Image center or forum) and type in
KARNAC in the search block it should take you to some pictures
of what less than 4K will buy. A very clean boat for the price.

mud duck
07-24-2004, 09:37 PM
You can build an Olds or Ford to be very stout, but it will probably take more money and time to do. I had a 1975 18' Taylor SS with an Olds 455, nice boat never gave me any trouble at all. It was my third boat, but my first jet boat. However, I always wondered what a BBC could do for me because of all the talk on these boards about how great Chevys are. Well, they can blow up to if you push them to hard. I am currently on my second BBC which was an expensive mistake for me. I thought they were bullet proof, my simple stupid mistake, I know. Open bow boats will be harder to find around 6 grand. Good luck and keep us informed as to your progress and selection. I agree with FOURQ, boating is always more expensive that you had previously thought. But it can sure get the adrenaline flowing. :D

Dan Lorenze
07-24-2004, 10:03 PM
would like something thats going to attract pu$$y, haul ass and not eat my $$$.
I think that's the key to life....... If you find something that will do all that, let us know....
:D
I have a 460 in my boat, it runs real nice.. One thing I noticed about having a BBF is that parts are not as easy to find as if I had a BBC.. Looking through catalogs has shown me that BBC parts are just about everywhere. I would also get a Berkeley pump, again, parts are easy to get and they are reliable.
Last but not least, look at the trailer. My old trailer was rusted and cracked, it was a pain to keep running. I finally upgraded it to a new one with brakes, it's like having a new boat...
Dan

lilrick
07-24-2004, 11:39 PM
chev,berk, full stringer hull.... with 6k, you should have no problem...

1Bahnerjet
07-25-2004, 07:03 AM
Originally posted by lilrick
chev,berk, full stringer hull.... with 6k, you should have no problem...
alot of Bahner's out there fit this description...
can't go wrong with a Bahner...

JESSE
07-25-2004, 07:36 AM
where are you going to take the boat the most.i have had
a few 18'er's and loved all of them but when i stop going to laughlin/ needles. and started going to parker i had to go to
21' because of the chop even with a 21 it still beats you up on bad days. i would say the same as most bbc with a berk more
parts for less $$ but that does not mean that other makes can't are don't do a good job just coast to do it.
p.s. i have a 21 foot bahner and love it!

nowheels
07-25-2004, 07:56 AM
Don't forget the most important thing, buying the boat is the easy part. It cost a lot more to run the boat. A boat is a hole in the water you pour mony into. Make sure whatever you get you will have enough disposable income to enjoy it!:)

JetRookie
07-25-2004, 08:48 AM
Hey Guys I really appreciate the help! I was so glad to find a forum that was alive, all the rest are pretty much dead. I was not expecting such quick responses.
As for the 72 'Jencer' I'm going to give the guy a call again today and maybe try to clear some stuff up. I'll ask him for the HIN and hopefully one of you guys can make something of it.
This one also caught my eye in classifieds(although for some reason the catagories don't show up all the time), its a 77 soutwind with a 460 dual carb w/ berkey. However he's asking 8900 and its the original gel coat, I can't afford that and I dont want to low ball the guy at 5500 or 6000 cash. It is a sweet looking boat though and one of the better paint scheme ones I am looking at. Almost everything is either rootbeer or metal flake.http://images.traderonline.com/EMedia/tarchive2/144/63349/00428603519.jpg
I also hav another question. How hard is it to keep a dual carb'd marine motor tuned? I use to have a quadrajet on my 67gto, it was becoming such a pain in the ass to keep tuned and warm the motor up in cold start that I ditched it for the new Holly Street Avenger with is a bitchin bolt on. Am I going to have to take a tool kit with me just to keep the motor from running too lean or rich?
Thanks guys here is some more eye candy for your help...
http://img78.photobucket.com/albums/v292/SuperbSantorings/fafaaf35.jpg
http://img78.photobucket.com/albums/v292/SuperbSantorings/fafaaef2.jpg

JetRookie
07-25-2004, 09:11 AM
Hey Jesse, as far as where I want to take the boat out to...I have been going to laughlin/needles since I was a little kid, I would definately go there on some of the less crowded off days. I also want to go out to Lake Las Vegas. There are also a couple man made (?) lakes around me, I am in the Inland Empire and there is a small lake over by Raginng waters in San Dimas CA. Not sure if they will allow me to launch a boat with wet stacks though:D because there is homes around it.
But yeah over all I could care less if its spring break or a lake event. I'd rather go during the week and launch it right before sunset and just haul ass on glassy waters and then just trailer it up or beach it if it gets too crowded or choppy. It's just going to be me and my cousin and a couple buddies(all in the 20's) so I think it would be pretty easy to launch it, have fun, and then just trailer it up pretty fast since there are no delays with family or kids. I'll tell you what though, I want to take it out a bunch of times a year, even in the offseason, (motor willing of course). I don't see a problem with going to the river in mid December and make a couple runs if you don't have to take kids along. Do you guys take it out all year long or seasonal?

Shark In The Pond
07-25-2004, 10:15 AM
With 6 k you can find a nice ride ! Just don't get in a hurry ,come Sept. the deals will start popping up and get much better in the winter if you have the time ? I'm amazed at some of the boats that get spammed here at how low $$$ some are. 2.500.00 for a fresh BBC with nice paint and new seats ? Who was it just awhile back a guy near Dallas had a 21' ( I think ) w/ fresh everything damn near for 2.500.00 OBO and I was going to head south that weekend to get it just for another toy but it got snagged up QUICK .

JESSE
07-25-2004, 01:27 PM
jet rookie yes we go out all year not to the river in december but to the local lakes mostly elsinore in the off season. you should be able to fined a nice boat for the cash you have to spend. good luck

HavasuDreamin'
07-25-2004, 01:49 PM
Some boats that I would look for with $6K.....all would be between about 1977 and 1983-4 or so......
Challenger/Southwind/Sanger/Rogers (if you can find one)/Bahner.
Make sure the boat has full stringers. I would opt for a Berkley pump or dominator. I would stay away from Jacuzzi pumps (harder to make go fast) and I would stay away from Olds motors (oiling/reliability issues).
You should be able to find what you are looking for in the Boat Trader.
Best words of advice I could give are.......be patient.......the right boat will come along. Don't........I repeat don't jump on the first boat you see just because you are excited.
Good Luck.

FOURQ
07-25-2004, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by JetRookie
This one also caught my eye in classifieds(although for some reason the catagories don't show up all the time), its a 77 soutwind with a 460 dual carb w/ berkey. However he's asking 8900 and its the original gel coat, I can't afford that and I dont want to low ball the guy at 5500 or 6000 cash. It is a sweet looking boat though and one of the better paint scheme ones I am looking at. Almost everything is either rootbeer or metal flake.http://images.traderonline.com/EMedia/tarchive2/144/63349/00428603519.jpg
I
my personal opinion that boat is over priced for an 18 and as far as original gell i dont think so we never did a target like that on an 18
4Q

JetRookie
07-25-2004, 04:29 PM
Thanks Havasu Dreamin, so I should stay away from the 71-78 age group? I seem to like some of the styling a little better. Is it just not at well built as the 78s and up, haul wise?
FOURQ: I also thought that those graphics dont look original. Those are the most moden looking paint scheme I have yet to see for sale. From what I've seen so far, I too think that boat is over priced. How much would you say a rig like that is worth?

FOURQ
07-25-2004, 07:37 PM
well in my opinoin only i would say around 5000 but thats my OPINION there is nothing wrong with the 70's hulls i actually think they were built better than the 80's in some cases NOT ALL..so to all you guys that want to bash me its ok cause its just MY OPINION :) ......almost all the Southwind 18's we built had the same target not some freestyle thing like that 5this is what the old school southwind target lookes like
http://www.southwindjetboats.com/1117IM000105.jpg
4Q

Nucking futs
07-25-2004, 07:52 PM
As far as being over priced we are not aware of the engine and pump upgrades if any.It looks to me as someone did a new gel coat job and new int.We all know we dont get back what we put in to our rides.That boat looks really clean and if he has some details and all the invoices on what he did it might not be a bad deal.IMO i would say 5500-7000 if everything is in tip top shape and make sure you test drive it!!!!I have went with several people to buy a boat and the seller wouldnt let us meet him to test drive it.Then there was one that we blew up in 10 min and we just left and told him we were not interested.

HavasuDreamin'
07-26-2004, 05:57 AM
Originally posted by JetRookie
Thanks Havasu Dreamin, so I should stay away from the 71-78 age group? I seem to like some of the styling a little better. Is it just not at well built as the 78s and up, haul wise?
Not necessarily. I would just buy as new as possible and there were a sh*t load of jet boats made in the late 70's.
Good Luck.

Keithb87
07-26-2004, 09:22 AM
Boat Trader Online (http://www.boattraderonline.com/newadsearch.html)
Check on here for boats in your price range.

JetRookie
07-26-2004, 11:42 AM
I'm checking boat trader like 3 times a day.

CALIFORNIA PERFORMANCE
07-26-2004, 03:42 PM
ME TOO!

RoostKing
08-02-2004, 10:48 PM
Heres a Bahner, and fro reading the boards (im new) it appears a Bahner may be best? Im looking for a boat in the near future myself...
RoostKing
:burnout:

BigBoyToys
08-03-2004, 04:41 AM
I've sold all of my motors so now have a nice hull for sale minus motor if interested. it's a 1981 Syndicate Gull Wing T-Deck Jet, hull is in excellent shape, comes with the original interior (Needs redone) and a second interior that consists of 2 Fiberglass Bucket seats with the foam/covers. This is a great safe 80+ mph Lake boat and has a Berkeley 12JI Pump with a built-in nozzle adjust (Like a Jetovator). I'm selling it complete minus engine, including motor mounts, Tandem Axle Trailer, and Fiberglass Wing ;) for $3500.00. I'm selling it because I'm stepping up to a bigger boat. I have lotsa pics and video if seriously interested. Email me at JimP@pritek.net or PM me here if Interested. Here's a few pics of it (The boat is Original Orange Gelcoat, not pink like some of the pics appear).
http://www.pritek.net/forsale/syn6.jpg
http://www.pritek.net/forsale/syn7.jpg
http://www.pritek.net/forsale/syn3.jpg
http://www.pritek.net/jb.jpg
http://www.pritek.net/jbs.jpg

BigBoyToys
08-03-2004, 04:53 AM
Here's a little video of the boat just messing around and adjusting a new engine on 5/29/04. Best to right click on the link and save it to your PC and play it from there ( Click on "Save Target As" ). Here it is Syndicate Video on May 29 2004 (http://www.pritek.net/syndicate/5-29-04.mpg)