PDA

View Full Version : GMC vs. Chevy

K9Blitz
07-24-2004, 08:11 PM
I've recently priced out the GMC and Chevy 1500 Crew Cab 4x4's each with the 4:10 rear end ect...
In the old days GMC's were more of a "work truck" without the bells and whistles of the Chevy. Anyone have any words of wisdom between the two? I've heard their assembly lines are right next to each other with the only difference being logo's and slight body style.

cc322
07-24-2004, 08:45 PM
Words of wisdom for tou.......... Buy a Ford:D

Dr. Eagle
07-24-2004, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by cc322
bad choice grasshopper...

cc322
07-24-2004, 08:52 PM
:eek:

Dr. Eagle
07-24-2004, 09:01 PM
:eek: LOL...... Always been a Chevy Guy... always will be!
As for the original question:
GMC has tried to position themselves as the "premium" GM truck/suv maker... kind of a step between Chevy and Cadillac. But there really isn't much difference unless you step up to a Denali in the SUV category.
I'd get the one that had the best price equipped as you want it.

cc322
07-24-2004, 09:46 PM
My brother n law just bought a sub he loves it, he is a ford man at heart (like me) but happens to like what gm is doing with the suv's better than ford, I am not fond of the new expy's with the rear independent suspension, but I'm sure gm will follow suit, everybody want's a nice plush ride, . My next vechile will be a f- 250 4x4 imo they just look bad:D

Dr. Eagle
07-24-2004, 09:51 PM
My Suburban has the Electronic Ride Control... it rides like a car, and adapts to towing trailers or off road conditions. I love that SUV!

HighRoller
07-25-2004, 10:32 PM
The two trucks are basically similar, but there are subtle differences in the body. Obvously the front ends are different, but the hood on my GMC is radically different than a Chebbie too. Aside from that and the badging on the engine, interior and tailgate they are the same.
I seriously cannot figure out what Chevy was thinking when they put the angular and boxy "cat eye" front end on a truck with rounded and flowing lines. I like my GMC because the front end flows into the rest of the body instead of looking like a slab of square sheeetmetal with headlights.

Havasu Hangin'
07-26-2004, 04:56 AM
when I bought my Sub, I was told that GMC and Chevy use the same production lines...the only change is the front end and badges.

Jordy
07-26-2004, 08:18 AM
My next vechile will be a f- 250 4x4 imo they just look bad:D
Yep, look even worse broke down on the side of the road. ;) :D

Jrocket
07-26-2004, 08:45 AM
They are the same,both built like legos.

Roxysnow
07-26-2004, 09:15 AM
Both are almost identical, but GMC is built a little better and a bit more luxury. Ask about the spot welding on GMC. Chevy bolts the bed whereas GMC spot welds in addition to bolting. But, Chevy just changed body style so it ain't going to change any time soon.....Hopefully! Denfinitely go GM!!!:D

CARGUY
07-26-2004, 09:25 AM
Chevy is the entry-level truck, and the GMC is the step up. Trucks share the same assembly line, only real differences are exterior--wheels, mldgs, etc. Trucks have the same rebates, but GMC pegs(production equipment groups--ls vs. sls--lt vs slt)are usually slightly higher.

Havasu Cig
07-26-2004, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by CARGUY
Chevy is the entry-level truck, and the GMC is the step up. Trucks share the same assembly line, only real differences are exterior--wheels, mldgs, etc. Trucks have the same rebates, but GMC pegs(production equipment groups--ls vs. sls--lt vs slt)are usually slightly higher.
I call Bullshit on this...I have an 04 Chevy 2500 HD CC D-max LT with every option available. I looked at GMC's before I ordered the Chevy and there is no difference between the trucks except for styling. I happened to like the looks of the Chevy better and decided to go that route.
I was told by a GMC dealer that the trucks are built on the same line.

Lightning
07-26-2004, 02:04 PM
They are both pretty much the same truck, that is obvious. The difference is this; GMC's come with more options that are standard - huh?
There are a few things that are options on a Chevy which are standard on a GMC when you compare SLE to LS and SLT to LT.

CARGUY
07-26-2004, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by Havasu Cig
I call Bullshit on this...I have an 04 Chevy 2500 HD CC D-max LT with every option available. I looked at GMC's before I ordered the Chevy and there is no difference between the trucks except for styling. I happened to like the looks of the Chevy better and decided to go that route.
I was told by a GMC dealer that the trucks are built on the same line.
Agree with or don't that's up to you. I am a Chevy Dealer and I don't agree with it, but every Regional meeting I go to, and every Marketing plan I get says the same thing--Chevy is the entry-level for the masses truck, and GMC is the step up or "Premium Grade" truck. The amount of Chevy Dealers(4,000 +) vs. GMC Dealers(less than 2,000) supports this.
As I stated in my reply these trucks are built on the same assy line, exterior differences are all that seperate them. All I am doing is stating how G.M. markets these vehicles. My living is made by Chevy's I sure am not going to dog them.

SoCalOffshore
07-26-2004, 07:58 PM
I looked at both Chevy and GMC and they priced within a couple fo hundred dollars of each other. They are both made in the same line. I chose the Chevy because I liked the angular front end. I love the truck and the DMAX.

DOHARA
07-27-2004, 07:43 AM
I like the GMC line do to small details that are standard as to chevy it's not available or extra. Look at the mirrors. GMC has the chrome piece on it or its match painted and chevy is just black. Also the plastic on top of the front bumper. GMC is match painted to vehicle color, chevy's are black regardless of vehicle color. tow recovery hooks standard on GMC, 40.00 extra on chevy. Small details but GMC's hold the value on resale. Look at a truck or suv trader you'll see hell of alot more chevy's for sale then GMC's.
:D :D :D

Havasu Cig
07-27-2004, 09:37 AM
Originally posted by CARGUY
Agree with or don't that's up to you. I am a Chevy Dealer and I don't agree with it, but every Regional meeting I go to, and every Marketing plan I get says the same thing--Chevy is the entry-level for the masses truck, and GMC is the step up or "Premium Grade" truck. The amount of Chevy Dealers(4,000 +) vs. GMC Dealers(less than 2,000) supports this.
As I stated in my reply these trucks are built on the same assy line, exterior differences are all that seperate them. All I am doing is stating how G.M. markets these vehicles. My living is made by Chevy's I sure am not going to dog them.
I think I am reading your post wrong. I think you are saying you can get a lower base model with Chevy than you can with GMC. That might be true, but for those that say Chevy is not as good as GMC they don't have a clue.
My buddy bought a GMC a couple months after I got mine and except for exterior styling they are identical. I would like anybody with a GMC SLT to show me what options they have that I don't, because the answer will be none.
I had connections with both GMC and Chevy, but decided to go with the Chevy because I liked the new front end better.:cool:

Havasu Cig
07-27-2004, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by DOHARA
I like the GMC line do to small details that are standard as to chevy it's not available or extra. Look at the mirrors. GMC has the chrome piece on it or its match painted and chevy is just black. Also the plastic on top of the front bumper. GMC is match painted to vehicle color, chevy's are black regardless of vehicle color. tow recovery hooks standard on GMC, 40.00 extra on chevy. Small details but GMC's hold the value on resale. Look at a truck or suv trader you'll see hell of alot more chevy's for sale then GMC's.
:D :D :D
Bro, I have the optional towing mirrors on my truck, as does my friends GMC, and they are exactly the same.
You are right about the front bumper being painted but that was actually one of the things I did not like about the GMC. I had a hitch installed on the front of the truck and we had to modify the front bumper. It would not have looked as good if it was painted.
I think this subject gets to me a little because I had a salesman at a GMC dealership B.S. me to try and sell me a truck. He was going on and on about how much better the GMC was than the Chevy. I can't stand car saleman that will say anything, true or not, to try and make a sale.

DOHARA
07-27-2004, 11:01 AM
Havasu cig, I'm not talking about optional tow mirrors. I was trying to explain the decrative chrome piece on front side of mirror. Most chevy's don't have them, it's a black mirror. I have the 1500x-cab sierra and a few of my buddy's have the chevy and they don't have them. I have been looking at tahoe's and yukon's this weekend and like I said, just a few cosmetic and interior differences. I like the GMC styling better. But to each is their own.;)

Jordy
07-27-2004, 01:24 PM
I was trying to explain the decrative chrome piece on front side of mirror.
I've got them on mine. Chrome on the mirrors matches the chrome door handles. ;) :D

Powerquestboy
07-27-2004, 02:43 PM
I have a Yukon XL that is loaded. When I bought it I looked at a suburban but disliked it due to the fact that all the trim was black and not painted. I also liked the console in between the front seats better and I like the front grill. I have a freind that is in the car business and he told me they are exactly the same trucks but GMC trims their trucks nicer than Chevy. Now you can definitly buy an awesome chevy with all the options and they would be very similar. I just liked the minor details that were nicer such as the mirrors, door handles, moldings, bimpers etc. that were painted instead of black plastic.
Only thing I wish I had was 2 buckets in the back instead of a bench, but I think you have to step up to the Denali for that.

franky
07-27-2004, 02:54 PM
We just bought a 2004 Tahoe with the captains chairs (nice buckets like up front) in the middle so you do not have to "step up" to the pimpin rapper b-ball Denali to get the twin center seats rather than the bench

Havasu Cig
07-27-2004, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by Powerquestboy
I have a Yukon XL that is loaded. When I bought it I looked at a suburban but disliked it due to the fact that all the trim was black and not painted. I also liked the console in between the front seats better and I like the front grill. I have a freind that is in the car business and he told me they are exactly the same trucks but GMC trims their trucks nicer than Chevy. Now you can definitly buy an awesome chevy with all the options and they would be very similar. I just liked the minor details that were nicer such as the mirrors, door handles, moldings, bimpers etc. that were painted instead of black plastic.
Only thing I wish I had was 2 buckets in the back instead of a bench, but I think you have to step up to the Denali for that.
We had an LT Suburban before the truck and all the molding and door handles were painted. We also had 4 captains chairs. Like I said before anything you can get on a GMC you can also get on a Chevy. The Suburban you looked at with the black trim must not have been an LT.
As far as Chrome on the mirrors of the GMC, That must be a 1500 thing. I sam 2 GMC 2500's today with the standard (not towing) mirriors and they were black with no chrome.

Havasu Cig
07-27-2004, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by jordanpaulk
I've got them on mine. Chrome on the mirrors matches the chrome door handles. ;) :D
You must of went with the Denali handles. I put Suburban ones on our's. Either way they both look much better than stock.:cool:

Jordy
07-27-2004, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by Havasu Cig
You must of went with the Denali handles.
Nope. Denali handles are painted to match. Escalade handles are chrome with matching painted background/mounts. :D

goneboatin
07-27-2004, 06:00 PM
I was trying to explain the decrative chrome piece on front side of mirror. )
I had a '99 Silverado with the chrome or mystery metal on the mirrors. It didn't make any difference how much I polished, or cleaned those things, they would not shine like new. The rocks you get hit with on the freeways always leave a little pit. IMO I prefer the black backs on the mirrors to the mystery metal, but painted the same as the body color looks better. You can get that on the Suburban, but not on the Silverados. I've got an '04 2500 crew cab w/ the Q-steer, with the LT package, it came with the black mirrors and door handles. I had the mirrors painted to match the body and had Escalade handles installed. Now the truck looks finished. But the GMC Sierras come with the black mirrors and handles also, so it's whatever you like.

Uplink
08-01-2004, 11:07 PM
Originally posted by K9Blitz
I've recently priced out the GMC and Chevy 1500 Crew Cab 4x4's each with the 4:10 rear end ect...
In the old days GMC's were more of a "work truck" without the bells and whistles of the Chevy. Anyone have any words of wisdom between the two? I've heard their assembly lines are right next to each other with the only difference being logo's and slight body style.
Chevy....
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/1942004silv_crew_z71_2.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/194245287_28_full.jpg
GMC.....
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/1942004sierra.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/1942004sierra1500crew3-med.jpg
I like the lines of the GMC's, but thats just me:D

SHAKE-YO-AZZ
08-02-2004, 10:34 PM
yes indeed, GMC and chev are the same :eek: