PDA

View Full Version : What Do U Think??

CALIFORNIA PERFORMANCE
07-25-2004, 02:04 PM
I am looking at a 19' dana with a 496 merlin heads,t ram, 2-660s,full roller motor at around 775 hp....Brekley jet,droop,place diverter,c-impeller,The guy says 95mph at 6700rpm..Does this sound right??Nice boat...Are they a splash of anything???What do u think its worth??

HavasuDreamin'
07-25-2004, 02:19 PM
I think you need to post a picture. :D

CALIFORNIA PERFORMANCE
07-25-2004, 02:26 PM
http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/5/8/73812858.htm Heres a pic in the trader..Went and looked at it today. Pretty nice.. Only bad part is thge trailer, its a single axle deal.Really like the motor and pump..Boats nice too:D

HBjet
07-25-2004, 04:10 PM
Well...
I have a 496 with an Edlebrock tunnel ram, dual HP750 DP's, full roller and I run on 91 octane (Pump Gas). With my 19' hull that has some bottom work and a lot of pump work, I turn my race detailed berkeley stainless "b" impeller 6000rpm and run 95.5 on the GPS. I don't have Merlin heads, I have GM 990's that have been ported to flow pretty damn good. We ran my motor on the dyno. Ask this guy where he gets his 775hp number from? If he ran it on the dyno, ask him to provide a print out of the pull. As for turning 6700rpm and going 95mph. Meet him at the lake, and stick your GPS in the boat and tell him if he comes back and the boat is runing 90+ mph according to the GPS then you have a deal!
Better yet, if he goes to Elsinore or something, I'll meet you out there and if he can keep up with me (or pass me) then you should buy that boat.
HBjet

JetRookie
07-25-2004, 04:19 PM
Yeah I talked to that guy over the phone. Seemed like a good powerplant, just had this feeling that it may have been driven a little too hard for my liking.

TRG
07-25-2004, 08:42 PM
i would definitly look at the whole package and see just how the motor performs....oh!... and take randy up on that offer! he needs an excuse to get his boat wet! lol

CALIFORNIA PERFORMANCE
07-25-2004, 09:03 PM
Yeah. More than likely we will be at Elsinore earily sat morn.He has a bit of paper work on the boat. I have not seen any dyno sheets but will ask tuesday for sure..We will see.....

TRG
07-25-2004, 09:08 PM
i might be out with my brothers boat sat. morn, let me know!

dmontzsta
07-25-2004, 09:16 PM
are you keeping the v-drive?

HBjet
07-25-2004, 10:58 PM
Originally posted by CALIFORNIA PERFORMANCE
Yeah. More than likely we will be at Elsinore earily sat morn.He has a bit of paper work on the boat. I have not seen any dyno sheets but will ask tuesday for sure..We will see.....
I might head out there Saturday early AM to run the boat for a little bit.... I'll let you know
HBjet

Hotcrusader76
07-26-2004, 04:56 AM
775HP with two stock 660s is hard to come by unless he's running massive compression which is requiring good gas. Before you seal the deal ask him for a compression check per cylinder and possibly a leak down if something isn't within 5psi of each other for a 775HP motor.
Just remember that there are folks here who paid high dollars for 700HP to go super fast and it wasn't easy. Ask about the details of that motor....and please do a compression check and watch him perform it while you are there.
Boat looks great BTW...

flat broke
07-26-2004, 09:24 AM
Motor asside, the old Dana hulls are not known for being the best lay ups around (nothing to do with the current Dana Boats). I had a 21 daycruiser and it left a lot to be desired. Motors will blow, and be built bigger and bigger. Make sure you have a hull that is a proven performer and is solid enough to be consistently encoutering the HP/speeds you are talking about.
My .02
Chris

CALIFORNIA PERFORMANCE
07-26-2004, 03:35 PM
dmontzsta . Yeah sell ing the v-drive.So if ya know anyone i will make them a great deal..
Hotcrusader76. Thanks and will do.
Flat broke. Yeah I really want a gullwing, But...I hear what your saying about the hull.

dmontzsta
07-26-2004, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by CALIFORNIA PERFORMANCE
dmontzsta . Yeah sell ing the v-drive.So if ya know anyone i will make them a great deal..
Hotcrusader76. Thanks and will do.
Flat broke. Yeah I really want a gullwing, But...I hear what your saying about the hull.
So...you are going from V-Drive to Jet? :confused: :argue: :eek:

notfastenuf
07-26-2004, 05:31 PM
If you really want a gullwing why buy something that you are going to settling for like the boat you are looking at. I would hold out and get what you really want. Here are two that are in the trader.
http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/6/9/74169369.htm
http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/2/4/74452024.htm

Squirtin Thunder
07-26-2004, 05:54 PM
It took me 4 1/2 years to find the right Sanger. Just whatever you do don't settle. You won't be happy. Engines are a dine a dozen. Not really but you can always have one built for you the way you want it or how fast you wan't to go. Personally I don't like the Dana boats but then again I don't really like the Glastron Tri Hull converted boats eather. But everyone has there own taste.Don't Settle !!!!!!!
Jim

Jake W
07-26-2004, 07:25 PM
Squirtin T you better check your data they were not made from a choped Asstron it was a Apollo fishing boat and a bad set up Gullwing will walk all over that perfect set up Sanger any day of the week.
C P do not settle I have went throught way too much money redoing something I really did not want 2 times.Befor I ran across my barn boat deal (Thanks Steve M) it will show up.
Jake:yuk:

Squirtin Thunder
07-26-2004, 07:56 PM
But the bottom line is;
Don't Settle !!!!!!!
And like I said it was my oppinion. And everybody is intittled to there opinion nomatter how ****ed up it is.
Jim

Squirtin Thunder
07-26-2004, 08:04 PM
JakeW,
I saw two boats right next to each other here in Bullhead. One was a quote Gullwing and the other was a Glasstron. To tell you the trueth except for the transom hieght it is very hard to tell them appart. Now if you go to the front you can see that the Glastron has much larger tunnels. I wander if anyone ever raced a Glastron Tri Hull. Imagen no windshield and a flat deck and some numbers on the side, with a big Blower motor and a hot MPD pump.
Jim

Jake W
07-26-2004, 08:11 PM
Well I guess when we buy all of these (Gullwings) up it will be time to cut down some Glastrons and see what they are made of.They would probely still be faster than that Sanger bat bottom you have.
Jake

Squirtin Thunder
07-26-2004, 08:18 PM
JakeW,
From what I hear my Sanger Custom Sprint Jet was a very fast hull even though a un-named pro says it won't run over 70mph. Which was my first gull to squash that. My next goal is to get close to 90mph. Now if Hallet Hath No......... can run in the mid to high 90s I think I sould have no real problem. After hours of set up and test and tune.

Jake W
07-26-2004, 08:23 PM
Now tell me that does not look like a Bat Man sign.Get the 1000 lbs Sanger to go 90 sounds like a quest and alot of motor.For real I like Sangers they are very nice well built boats.
Jake

Squirtin Thunder
07-26-2004, 08:34 PM
JakeW,
I was able to take the boat to 74mph with a 77 untouched pump except for a Place diverter and a angle iron grate, 74mph@5200rpms with a old chewed up Berk "A"
Not bad !!!!
I have been paying attention to all the little details and installed a top loader intake grate. I will also be installing a droop. I have also spent many hours in prep on this pump. As far as the engine I should be on the high side of 600hp (678hp).
Which should help a bit.
Jim

Squirtin Thunder
07-26-2004, 08:36 PM
JakeW,
This hull is very thin !!!!
I also took out the old floatation foam, which had moisture trapped in it, for new lighter stuff.
Jim

djdtpr
07-27-2004, 03:08 PM
http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/6/9/74169369.htm
http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/2/4/74452024.htm
Gullwings suck they make a great river boat and a nice race boat i hate them things!:wink: But i did like them more when they werent so common.