PDA

View Full Version : headbolt question

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
07-26-2004, 02:52 AM
Does anyone know what the torque specs are for arp headbolts on a bbc. Felpro performance book says 85ftlbs. I know on the stock specs the short ones have a different spec than the long ones.

victorfb
07-26-2004, 09:57 AM
there should have been a little spec sheet inside the ARP box that tells you the torgue specs. mine said 85 pounds if useing oil. (good quality oil) or 65 pounds useing ARP lube. i used the oil and 85 pounds and ended up stretching a couple bolts. i was sent a new set and bought some ARP lube and did the 65 pounds. worked great. just retorqued yesterday and no bolts needed tightening. (after 4 days of running the boat, and aluminum heads). use atleast a three step sequence. maybe start at 25# then go to 45# then 65# with the ARP lube. you get the idea. retorque again by loosening them one at a time and back to 65#. do one more check on the torque after a day or so. good luck.
by the way. mine is a gen6 BBC. your specs may be differant. call ARP, they are very helpfull.

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
07-26-2004, 06:03 PM
These heads are steel heads not aluminum. Actually its my buddy's motor and he asked me to check for him. I could of swore there were 2 different torque specs for the bbc heads w/ molly lube. But his bolts go into the water jackets. i did some searching on the molly lube vs, sealant and I came to the conclusion that sealant is a better choice. i know someone knows the answer to this!

Fiat48
07-26-2004, 08:01 PM
Steel heads:
75 ft lbs on the longs using sealant
65 ft lbs on the shorts using sealant.
From the "How to Hotrod Big-Block Chevy Engines" 70's era publication.
But most guys just torque em all at 75 ft lbs.

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
07-26-2004, 09:10 PM
So with arp bolts 75ftlbs with sealant on the steel heads. I think I will use 75ft lbs with sealant on both.
thx fiat