PDA

View Full Version : Outboards

SILVERWING
07-26-2004, 07:40 AM
ARE THEY AS FASTER THAN JETS AND CAR MOTORS THAT ARE IN BOATS.

Tom Brown
07-26-2004, 07:51 AM
No. Try as I might, I can't beat the jet boat guys. :(

RiverDave
07-26-2004, 07:52 AM
Originally posted by SILVERWING
dollar for dollar they probably are... but realistically when you get into the "extremes" no they aren't, not even by a long shot.
RD

HCS
07-26-2004, 07:53 AM
There are some pretty fast clamp on's.

gramps
07-26-2004, 07:57 AM
there's a hell of a lot of bass boats out there that will do 60 - 70 mph and they all have clamp on's............

Dan Lorenze
07-26-2004, 08:14 AM
I think it all depends on the boat and engine the configuration. I've seen many "twin" outboards at the river take on the biggest, baddest BBs.. Mercury has a nice ,Blown, intercooled, 4 stroke out board, it's 275hp..They call it the "Verado" I would say a performance hull with two Verados bolted to the back would go easily see triple digits provided the boat was set up to do it. But then again you have two engines.. Since it's a fourstroke, the exhaust note is low and quiet compared to a typical twostroke and get good MPG.. One thing I like about an outboard is it sure does give you more room in the boat..

HavasuDreamin'
07-26-2004, 08:46 AM
Originally posted by RiverDave
dollar for dollar they probably are... but realistically when you get into the "extremes" no they aren't, not even by a long shot.
RD
With V-drives I will agree. With jet boats I disagree. What is the record for the fastest jet? 170mph or so?
Fastest wacker ran 176 mph.
HD

h2oski2fast
07-26-2004, 09:17 AM
Hmmmmm.......That is a loaded question! So, John how fast does the Silverwing with "twins" go?

Tom Brown
07-26-2004, 09:20 AM
Originally posted by Dan Lorenze
I would say a performance hull with two Verados bolted to the back would go easily see triple digits provided the boat was set up to do it.
Or, you could buy a 20' STV, bolt a Merc 280 on teh back, and do 110+ out of the box.

Sleek-Jet
07-26-2004, 11:34 AM
I'll respond to this when it gets moved to "Bench Racers" :D

CrazyHippy
07-26-2004, 01:26 PM
Outboards were designed to be put on boats. To run at 2/3 throttle all day long.
The BBC was designed to be put into trucks.
BJH:D

RiverDave
07-26-2004, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by Tom Brown
Or, you could buy a 20' STV, bolt a Merc 280 on teh back, and do 110+ out of the box.
That's why I said dollar for dollar..
If I was looking to just straight Haul Ass and Saw off anyone anytime in any water Parker Strip has to offer...
21' Liberator with some serious Twin Action going on.. ;) :D
(probably be in my budget too)
Instead, I'll keep saving my nickels and dimes to purchase a boat that costs literally 3 times as much, goes arguablly 20 mph slower, etc.. etc... LOL
RD

Tom Brown
07-26-2004, 01:59 PM
I'm glad to see that being closed minded isn't hurting you financially, Dave. :D
Hey, let me know when you get Bubbles on the water. I'll tow down and take you on. :D

Jrocket
07-26-2004, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by SILVERWING
Outboards can run well,it helps when you have alot of spare motors and parts in the shop and also twins hanging off the back.Keeps a guy in business i guess.:D

Havasu Cig
07-26-2004, 02:05 PM
My 500 EFI's and XR's in my current boat have been a hell of a lot more reliable than my 280's were on my DCB so I don't think you can really say reliability is better on an O/B.
My buddy just grenaded one of his 500's in his 33 power Play but that was after 750 hours on the motors. Pretty reliable if you ask me.;)

Kim Hanson
07-26-2004, 02:58 PM
I just like the sound of Healthy V8 OB, she rips to good also...little smoke, shit I don't smell it :D The people behind you will though and the NOISE is the best......The rooster Tail is the Best .....sorry:p
92 MPH roosterTail, is the shit............( . )( . )......12 feet high and 50 feet back....Jets suck :p

Dan Lorenze
07-26-2004, 03:15 PM
If I didn't go to the river, I would have an outboard.. They're fast, turn on a dime and leave a lot of room in the boat for passengers. Since I do go to the river I can launch my boat when most seadoos won't cuz it's too shallow.. No problem for the jet.

Wakker
07-26-2004, 05:54 PM
I've yet to get smoked by anything in Parker... in glass water...

ratso
07-26-2004, 06:31 PM
I own a stern drive, an outboard, and now a jet boat (personal boats.) I don't really have a preference between the outboard and stern drive, but there are certain times I prefer one over the other...so it is a draw. Jets basically make a lot of noise and go nowhere, compared to the previous two. That is why I am using the jet boat for my son's first boat because one thing I won't have to worry about is him going too fast in it, but he will probably think it is just as cool "sounding fast.":D

TOBTEK
07-26-2004, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by Havasu Secret
I have always had an outboard. Finally moved up to the Merc 300 and it has been a very reliable and fast set-up.
I think most opt for the inboard "Car Motor Boats" because there is so much more that you can do to them. The aftermarket performance part market is a huge benefit. There are also many engine packages to choose from at the time of purchase, Teague, Phaff and many others.
I think it is really what you like and what you "will like to invest in and/or work on later". Boat engines rev a lot higher and longer than cars... so you are going to sooner or later have some fall-out because of increased RPM's. Even the best outdive (B-Max, Teague, Mercury) seem to sooner or later blow because of the horse power that is being put through them.
Outboards can and do blow powerheads and prop shafts... so there is no real winner here on repairs. I also think it's a matter of sound. Big Blocks sound cool... but there are those of us who like the scream of an outboards. Just like we like the scream of a good woman in bed... once again it's a matter of sound.
Jets are great... I found a whole new respect for jets after seeing FroggyStyle's set up http://www.liquidaddiction.net/Froggy.htm and his new stuff that he is doing with his dual jet drive set up over at www.Tridentboats.com Boats is truely "Revolutionary". Look at this http://www.tridentboats.com/gal/showphoto.php?photo=107&password=&sort=1&cat=6&page=1
My Dad once said "Stay Single". I think he ment boat engins and maybe marriage also. Twins... either outboard or inboard are nice but you also have twice the expense for only a marginal amout of speed increase... and let's not even talk about the increased insurance on twins... OUCH.
So that is my two cents. I'm an outboard guy and this is my setup. 21ft Eliminator Daytona with a Merc Promax 300 (not even the "X" model) with a 26 pitch Mercurey chopper II prop and on a good day... 96MPH in Havasu.
Here is another Pic:
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/showphoto.php?photo=14291&password=&sort=4&thecat=523
MARK......where in the heck have you been? you must be one busy dude.....or you dont love us anymore ;) ...toby