PDA

View Full Version : Trailer Tires vs Car tires

novaguy
07-26-2004, 10:44 AM
Ok, I recently had a regular car tire on my trailer seperate and another turn eggshape. I had to tow my boat back this last trip and the other side now has one tire that is eggshaped with a buble on the side. The other tire on the same side is ok. What are the advantages/disadvantages of having trailer tires. It seems whether you have trailer tires or regular car tires, people still have problems with them seperating, blowing out, etc. I don't tow my boat very much as it is kept at my house at the river, and am just wondering if I should replace all the tires with trailer tires or just keep the regular car tires on them. I called a local tire shop I use and they said to just keep the regular car tires? Just want to hear some opinions and experiences. BTW, the tires I had were approximately 2 years old. My boat sat parked for a long time (2 years) after it was stolen so I could restore it after it was recovered. I think this is what might have caused the tires to eggshape. Is it best to store your trailer on jacks during non use or winter time?

Tom Brown
07-26-2004, 12:00 PM
I think trailer tires are constructed differently, particularly in the sidewall area.
I've never had a heavy enough trailer that it really mattered. Once our tires get down to the wear indicators, we move them to our trailers and they run forever again. :D

jackpunx
07-26-2004, 12:02 PM
I got a blowout on a brand new Carlile.(sp?).. this weekend..

HavasuDreamin'
07-26-2004, 12:04 PM
You will get varying opinions. I have had BFG Radial TA's on my light weight boat (trailer) for 10 years + without any problems. (Knock on Wood) ;)

RiverLife
07-26-2004, 12:34 PM
The size tire you put on your trailer is smaller than a regular car tire so it spins at a greater rate than normal which builds heat/pressure and causes blow-outs. Also, the size car those tires are meant to go on are much lighter than the boat and trailer so there is a lot of extra pressure. Trailer tires are constructed differently to disipate the heat more efficiently and handle the heavy weight. Having said that, I still use car tires on mine. However, make sure you do NOT over-inflate them and do NOT go too fast (over 60-65). Keep an eye on them and carry a spare........ or two. :D I've used car tires for ............... forever and the only problems I've had weren't the tire's fault.

AngryJosh
07-26-2004, 12:42 PM
I buy the best trailer tires offered by whatever shop I go to. I was told that the trailer versions offer a stronger sidewall(more plys). I do this because I drive fast, about 80-85mph and dont wanta blowout at those speeds. I will also add that in the past I have run regular car tires with no problems. But either way, I usually change tires every season, at least every other season. So my tires never get to the point of failure. Just my .02.
AngryJosh

Tom Brown
07-26-2004, 12:49 PM
I had you figured as a bit of a lead foot, Josh. :D

AngryJosh
07-26-2004, 01:02 PM
Oh man- its you again Tom Brown!! Why you keep pickin on me man:eek: :D :D :D J/k Take it easy- no need to get all upset!!

HalletDave
07-26-2004, 01:43 PM
Why would you not want to put nothing but the best tire on the trailer that hauls your pride and joy?
Automobile tires on a trailer are a disaster waiting to happen.
Under inflation on trailer tires is the worst thing you can do.
Under inflation makes the tires heat up = blow-out.:eek:
I carry two spares.;)

19cobaltcd
07-26-2004, 01:50 PM
Trailer tires are constructed differently. The side walls are stiffer because they dont corner. They get drug around corners. They also have more UV inhibitors. But dont know if it matters anymore. Coming back from the lake last week I had a truck tire blow at about 65 mph on a narrow 2 lane blacktop with deep ditches on both sides. These are BF Goodrich truck radials with about 37,000 miles on them. The tread completely seperated from the tire. Damn thing looks like a retread. Took out part of the inner fender of the truck and bent up the bed. Goodrich will not waranty them because they are 5 years old. (yea, I dont drive much) I've run Goodrich for 20 years and never had a problem but now I dont know which way to go.

77charger
07-26-2004, 03:08 PM
I had car tires on my old jet boat trailer they did fine.On my current oat it has trailer tires the first set were the towmasters they wore out quickly IMO.I put some of the goodyear marathons on it now.Also have them on my toyhauler.They seem to hold out very well and last longer

Seadog
07-26-2004, 04:33 PM
Trailer tires are stiffer and have a narrower tread. They are designed to handle the problem of taking curves with multiple axles. The tread is also not as deep because tread is the last thing to go on a trailer tire. Trailer tires do not wear out like car tires. They are now saying that any tire should be replaced every five years, car or trailer.