PDA

View Full Version : RPM Engine development???

Gerard
07-26-2004, 11:07 AM
Hello,
Has anyone heard of RPM Engine Development in Tempe, AZ.? They do advertise in the back of Powerboat magazine.
I will be rebuilding my HP500's soon and wanted to know if anyone here has used them or has info, good or bad. They gave me a price in writing to rebuild the HP500's and it was approx. $4,800. (assuming crank and block are ok) That's a good price. Every other builder was in the $7,500+ range.
I will probably go with Teague, but I was curious about RPM.
Thanks,
Gerard

Sleek-Jet
07-26-2004, 11:57 AM
Well if you're going to bring it all the way to Phoenix, take a look at Larry's Engine and Marine ( www.larrysengine.com) down in Tucson. He builds some pretty bad ass motors. Several peeps on here have them. I've got one of his engines in my Cutlass.

Jrocket
07-26-2004, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by Gerard
I will be rebuilding my HP500's soon and wanted to know if anyone here on OSO has used them or has info, good or bad.
Thanks,
Gerard
OSO???? Your in the wrong house,we'll let ya slide this time.:D
Larry Peto,Bob Teague,Gary Teague,Pfaff...all great choices.Pfaff and Gary Teague are the closest to ya and both do excellent work.
Have not heard anything about RPM.

rrrr
07-26-2004, 12:46 PM
Back before Toyota and Honda got in the game, the Indy Racing League had two engine manufacturers; GM and Nissan.
There were a handful of independent engine builders that bought the base engine and assembled it according to IRL rules, which are pretty restrictive.
RPM consistently put out motors that were among the best. They also currently build sprint car and stock car engines. From what I hear around the sport they know what is going on, so I suspect a BBC from them would be a good piece.
Seems like a few folks in the engine business out there aren't exactly playing straight up. I would grade a builder on reputation and warranty over dyno results if it was my money.

Jrocket
07-26-2004, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by rrrr
Seems like a few folks in the engine business out there aren't exactly playing straight up. I would grade a builder on reputation and warranty over dyno results if it was my money.
Always.:D

Gerard
07-26-2004, 01:09 PM
Thanks for the info guys. I will check out Larry Peto. I completely agree about checking out the builder, that's why I'm looking here for feedback on RPM.
So far, they have been very nice to deal with on the phone and rrrr had some positive info for me.
I was interested in RPM because I "thought" they had a good reputation and was curious because they are approx. $3K each motor cheaper than Teague and Pfaff.

KACHINA KEN
07-26-2004, 01:28 PM
Thanks for the info guys. I will check out Larry Peto. I completely agree about checking out the builder, that's why I'm looking here for feedback on RPM.
So far, they have been very nice to deal with on the phone and rrrr had some positive info for me.
I was interested in RPM because I "thought" they had a good reputation and was curious because they are approx. $3K each motor cheaper than Teague and Pfaff.
Teague is bad ass no doubt but since he is so popular he gets paid a premium and rightfully so, I dont think you will find a whole lot of quality differentiation between the two, lots of years behind both of these guys. But yeah Peto can probably get ya back on the water quicker as well, wouldn't think he would be as backed up as Bob.
Kenny

Gerard
07-26-2004, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by KACHINA KEN
Teague is bad ass no doubt but since he is so popular he gets paid a premium and rightfully so, I dont think you will find a whole lot of quality differentiation between the two, lots of years behind both of these guys. But yeah Peto can probably get ya back on the water quicker as well, wouldn't think he would be as backed up as Bob.
Kenny
I need to get the Powerplay up and runnin' again!!

rrrr
07-26-2004, 02:12 PM
RPM built the motors for the Curb-Agajanian Motorsports IRL entry in 2001. Billy Boat was a co-owner and drove the car.
Billy is well known around the Phoenix area as a local driver at Manzy. He now owns B&B Performance Exhaust in Phoenix. They build sick exhaust systems for trucks and RVs, also for exotic cars.
Give Billy a ring at the shop, he can tell you more about RPM than just about anyone.
As for the rest of you wankers, buy an exhaust system for your truck from B&B. They have the best stuff out there... :D :D
B&B Performance Exhaust (http://www.bbexhaust.com/)

KACHINA KEN
07-26-2004, 04:15 PM
I need to get the Powerplay up and runnin' again!!
?

KACHINA KEN
07-26-2004, 04:16 PM
As for the rest of you wankers, buy an exhaust system for your truck from B&B. They have the best stuff out there... :D :D
B&B Performance Exhaust (http://www.bbexhaust.com/) [/B][/QUOTE]
Im a tosser not a wanker:D

fourspeednup
07-26-2004, 04:33 PM
B&B Performance Exhaust (http://www.bbexhaust.com/)
Im a tosser not a wanker:D [/B][/QUOTE] Since we're on the B&B topic...look out for Billy's son in Phoenix racing mini sprints and working his way up to follow in daddy's footsteps:)

Gerard
07-26-2004, 06:33 PM
?
Ken,
Why the ?

Gerard
07-27-2004, 09:10 AM
I was really hoping to get more feedback from you guys. Fo those who have posted, thanks for the info.

Jrocket
07-27-2004, 10:53 AM
I was really hoping to get more feedback from you guys. Fo those who have posted, thanks for the info.
Ive been posting in this place for some time and I dont recall to much talk about RPM company.So not to say they're bad,just not too many people in here have used them is all.You got some good feed back on them already,so if your happy with what youve heard,then use them.Seems like a long way to travel for motor work is all..best of luck on it.

Gerard
07-27-2004, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by Jrocket
Ive been posting in this place for some time and I dont recall to much talk about RPM company.So not to say they're bad,just not too many people in here have used them is all.You got some good feed back on them already,so if your happy with what youve heard,then use them.Seems like a long way to travel for motor work is all..best of luck on it.
Thanks for the reply. I really haven't gotten enough info on RPM . I do agree it might be far to travel for engines. I will probably go to Teague, just wanted to get some different options.