PDA

View Full Version : Boater Sentenced in Fatal Accident

Boatcop
07-26-2004, 12:41 PM
Jeffery Hewlett, who ran over and killed a PWCer on July 4th weekend, 2003 was sentenced in La Paz County Superior Court today, July 26th, 2004.
Hewlett plead "No Contest" to a single charge of Negligent Homicide last month. He was originally charged with 16 counts including Manslaughter, Endangerment, Child Endangerment, OUI and fleeing the scene of a fatal accident.
Hewlett was sentenced to 1 year in the County Jail, and 4 years probation.

hboldno7
07-26-2004, 12:45 PM
Boatcop, was that the guy they caught with his boat on the trailer on the way home?

Brady Bunch
07-26-2004, 12:46 PM
I do not remember this case, but driving a boat drunk, killing someone and fleeing the scene, 1 year in jail? WTF!!!!!

Lightning
07-26-2004, 12:48 PM
That's what I am saying, 1 yr for all that. wtf??

JetBoatRich
07-26-2004, 01:14 PM
On top of everything, only a year:o
WTF:yuk:

hd&boatrider
07-26-2004, 01:23 PM
Not anywhere near what should have been done to this guy.

summerlove
07-26-2004, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by Brady Bunch
I do not remember this case, but driving a boat drunk, killing someone and fleeing the scene, 1 year in jail? WTF!!!!!
Alan, while this does not make it right, didn't he flee to get his kids out of there so they didn't have to go through any more trauma - seeing their dad hauled off to jail? Didn't he immediately return to the scene after he dropped them off? While I don't condone his actions, I do understand his intentions. Or is this incorrect? Thanks...

mbrown2
07-26-2004, 02:16 PM
This was the accident that happened up near the dam by Winnetou north of Moonridge...from what I remember he fled the scene in his Lavey and was found later in his trailer right in the same area by Winnetou...he had a place there...Don't quote me but I remember the story being that he did not render aid...it was a someone else that jumped in and helped the Jet Skier (maybe someone JRocket or someone else on the board knows)...pretty bad scene...guy was running pretty fast back and forth all day and that 4th, it was packed near the dam...we were on the docks when all of the police came rolling up near the dam....Folks that heard the sound of the collision knew it did not sound good...like drive coming out of the water and RPM's spinning pretty high after the sound of a Fiberglass to fiberglass collision at pretty good speed...The person that lost his life was a friend of person in Moonridge II and his family was staying across the street of a good friend of mine....It was terrible 4th for that family...
May he rest in peace..

Boatcop
07-26-2004, 02:43 PM
Didn't he immediately return to the scene after he dropped them off?
I wouldn't call 90 minutes "immediately". Especially when his dock was next to where the accident happened.
I'm not going to comment on this much more. It seems that someone here is feeding everything I write to the defense attorney, in an attempt to connect my words here with my official duties, and threatening lawsuit against me and/or my Department.
Something about my contributing here on my own time as a private person, and my right to free expression and speech that they don't seem to understand.

jackpunx
07-26-2004, 02:46 PM
BC..
thanks for the info.. Im always a big fan of your posts.. I hope it works out well for you.. I would hate for the education you give us on the boards to stop.

wsuwrhr
07-26-2004, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by Boatcop
I wouldn't call 90 minutes "immediately". Especially when his dock was next to where the accident happened.
I'm not going to comment on this much more. It seems that someone here is feeding everything I write to the defense attorney, in an attempt to connect my words here with my official duties, and threatening lawsuit against me and/or my Department.
Something about my contributing here on my own time as a private person, and my right to free expression and speech that they don't seem to understand.
"New Screen Name" for these types of posts Alan. In a
not-so-official format.
Although I don't always agree with LE, I do still appreciate your contributions and information here.
Brian

Three Days Only
07-26-2004, 03:25 PM
One year seems like nothing, If I was the family of the decest I would be outraged. After fleeing the scene and not rendeering help, one year. What a joke.
Fleeing from the scene is an admission of guilt in my opinion and not helping another person is cowardly, One Year is bull shit.

jackpunx
07-26-2004, 03:29 PM
Not condoning this act.. One year for the life of my kid?... Wouldnt fly with me.. but that is another subject.
Question.
what do you think would have happend if he stayed.. he still got all the charges and picked up a year in county.. which is about 4 months....
Do you think he would have gotten less time if he would have stayed?..
could you imagine?..
I understand accidents.. but the OUI thing..

wsuwrhr
07-26-2004, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by jackpunx
Not condoning this act.. One year for the life of my kid?... Wouldnt fly with me.. but that is another subject.
Question.
what do you think would have happend if he stayed.. he still got all the charges and picked up a year in county.. which is about 4 months....
Do you think he would have gotten less time if he would have stayed?..
could you imagine?..
I understand accidents.. but the OUI thing..
It seems it would have been WORSE for him if he stuck around.
I think it should be TEN times WORSE if he left. You are not to leave a scene of an accident. Especially in a boat. Render aid, do whatever you can to help. No matter who is at fault.
Can't prove intoxication, who was driving, condition of the vessel or contents after the accident.
I feel the same way about another accident at the river...
Brian

sleekvino
07-26-2004, 04:42 PM
theres always a few bad apples in the bunch.this time it killed some one.my buddy learned a lesson as well when he blew his right hand off with a m1000.he just had his 3rd surgery.it just goes to show you how fragile we are or how stupid we can be. god speed to the family.

XtrmWakeborder
07-26-2004, 05:17 PM
What a joke! One year for killing someone and leaving the scene? Thats rediculous, i give my condolences to the family.
PS. I always enjoy your posts boat cop and look forward to them in the future, thank you...

dmontzsta
07-26-2004, 07:32 PM
One year for killing someone is a little shitty. :(

Jrocket
07-26-2004, 08:04 PM
If that guy killed my kid,Id kill him and take the year myself.That guy should be in there for ALOT longer than a year.
My buddy Cory is the guy who jumped in and swam out to help the guy in the water.He's a fireman and also on this board..screen name "blackcloud75" Real good guy.

Jrocket
07-26-2004, 08:08 PM
Well F U C K them,whoever it is.
I more than appreciate you taking your time to come in here and give us any info,advice or input on laws and what not.Thanks Boatcop..

dmontzsta
07-26-2004, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by Jrocket
Well F U C K them,whoever it is.
I more than appreciate you taking your time to come in here and give us any info,advice or input on laws and what not.Thanks Boatcop..
YEAH **** THEM! let us know who it is Boatcop. ;) we can handle it. :D

blackcloud75
07-26-2004, 09:44 PM
BC,
Thanks for keeping my name on the "down low" through the criminal portion of this ordeal. The one phone call I received was from the defense attorney and he didn't like what I had to say. I am sure with the possibility of Civil lawsuits pending, we will be getting more calls. Alan, I still have your WCFD shirt but every time I stop by your never around. I'll get it to ya' eventually.
Be safe!!!!

blackcloud75
07-26-2004, 09:45 PM
I forgot..............BULLSH#T on the 1 year ...........

Jrocket
07-26-2004, 10:19 PM
Hey prick...wheres my shirt?

blackcloud75
07-26-2004, 10:48 PM
Johnny..........we don't have bay doll T's........
Lil' Snookums'.....................call me with a size...
Cory

Tyson Ross
07-27-2004, 01:36 AM
:mad:
Lame :yuk:

FlatRat
07-27-2004, 08:58 AM
Bogus one the one year.Ya get more that for burnin' a fat one!!:mad:

framer1
07-27-2004, 09:39 AM
That the punishment you would expect from a second DUI without hurting anybody or close to it. The punishment seems awful lenient:(

summerlove
07-27-2004, 10:52 AM
Alan: I certainly hope you did not take my questions/misunderstanding of the situation as a question of you or your professionalism! I completely agree that 90 min is unacceptable. I was only wondering if the boater was trying to get his family off the boat so that he could do the responsible thing. That is what i heard shortly after the accident. Obvoiously, that is not the case and my info/recollection was incorrect. I apologize if that has caused any concern on your part. Please do not misinterpert my comments any other way. I, as do everyone else on these boards, appreciate your candid and insightful observations.
Rick

vdrivenman
07-27-2004, 12:35 PM
Who determined the sentencing judge or jury ???
9 times out of 10 a dwi or neg homicide will appeal to a jury of their peers for sentencing.
most jurors won't convict or give a heavy dwi sentence becuase they've done the same thing !
what is the process where this ocurred ??

Boatcop
07-27-2004, 04:06 PM
He accepted a "gimmie" plea deal to the one count of Negligent Homicide. I found out today that there was a near riot in the court room when the judge handed down the sentence. He had a bunch of friends in court testifying to what a "good guy" he was, and how he had been boating for 20 years, never had an accident, etc.
Many of the same remarks written here were conveyed loudly in court.
One final blow to the family was that he can do his time in Orange County (if he pays for it) so he can be on work release to support his family. Never mind that the guy that he killed had a wife and 3 kids to support.
There'll be another similar case going for sentencing next month. I wonder if the Judge will take the reaction of the court room into consideration when handing down a sentence in that one.

slink
07-27-2004, 04:21 PM
Alan, why would they give him a plea like this? At what stage was it offered? was the jury already seated and testimony started or is the La Paz county court back logged? I've heard it is only one attorney doing every case out there, is that true?

ColeTR1
07-27-2004, 04:39 PM
plead "No Contest" to a single charge of Negligent Homicide last month.
Boatcop is the RUSH case is going in this same direction?
One Year for a live. :mad:

boatnam2
07-27-2004, 04:54 PM
wonder why his 20 buddies didnt tell him to quit driving like a fuukng idiot before the tradgedy.

Boatcop
07-27-2004, 04:55 PM
The plea deal was made before a trial date was set and jury seated. I had hoped that it went to trial, but we have no say in how the case goes after we present it to the prosecutor.
And yes. The prosecutor's office is under a heavy case load, so most cases are plead out long before it gets to the trial stage.
Our County Attorney is a former Defense Attorney and has that defense mind-set. When the defense puts up a scenario, he thinks: Hmmm. That's what I'd probably do. And lays out a sweet deal. We'll have to see what happens in the election this fall. Maybe a prosecutor with a desire to see justice done will be elected into the office.
The Rush case has already been plead. Again a "No Contest" to 3 counts of Negligent Homidice and 1 count of Aggravated Assault. Sentencing is set for next month some time.
Although a "No Contest" is the same as a "Guilty" in the eyes of the Criminal Court, it is not an admission of guilt or responsibilty in a civil court, so the plaintiffs in any law suit have to work harder to prove their case, since the defendant can claim that they aren't responsible, even though there's been a conviction.

Petrofied
07-27-2004, 10:35 PM
Something about my contributing here on my own time as a private person, and my right to free expression and speech that they don't seem to understand. People need to understand your a cop 8 or 12 hrs. a day. Oh and have fun, Opinions and rights like the rest of us. Hope all turns out well.
MR.P. :)

Evo22
07-29-2004, 06:01 AM
what an idiot and he deserves more than that

Ducatista
07-29-2004, 01:42 PM
What a sad story from start to finish....I feel for the family of the deceased.:(

RiverDave
07-29-2004, 01:48 PM
Are you shitting me??
They are threatening to sue you for putting up the "facts" in the case?
RD

RiverDave
07-29-2004, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by framer1
That the punishment you would expect from a second DUI without hurting anybody or close to it. The punishment seems awful lenient:(
Thank God your not a judge.. A year in jail for a DUI? Jesus..
What do you do if a kid spray paints a wall give him the electric chair?
RD

Jrocket
07-29-2004, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by RiverDave
RD
He said second dui and I agree with him!
Dave thinks you should get a discount at the bar of you get a dui..:D

HalletDave
07-29-2004, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by Jrocket
[B Dave thinks you should get a discount at the bar of you get a dui..:D [/B]
LMAO :D

ColeTR1
07-29-2004, 03:38 PM
Every time something bad happens on the parker strip there is alcohol involved. How dam hard is it to have someone not drink and be in charge of the boat? If you get a DUI these days you have to be an F’ing moron and to get a second WTF. All of the fatalities over the last year and the bad press from them has made Parker a different place. I’m mad about the people that drink and kill with there boats. They have F’ed it up for the rest of us.

Misogynist
07-30-2004, 01:08 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong.... I remember some of the facts of the accident from news accounts... Wasn't the person killed technically at fault for making a u-turn in front of the boat that hit him?... Is this the same accident?... or is this another one?

ColeTR1
07-30-2004, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by Misogynist
Wasn't the person killed technically at fault
In both cases the boat drivers left the seen of the accident. Think about how bad that is! The first thing you do is help who is ever hurt period…

framer1
07-30-2004, 04:57 PM
I didn't say you should get a year for a 2nd DUI. If you read the post it said that about what they give for a 2nd DUI without hurting anybody. So I think that the guy got off to easy.

BILLY.B
08-02-2004, 05:30 AM
Originally posted by RiverDave
RD I don't get the statement Dave. You seem to feel that drinking and driving while at the river is part of the deal. I like alot of people have had a couple beer's while hanging out but I have "NEVER" and I repeat "NEVER" driven my boat while being intoxicated. I'd be curious had you'd react to this same situation if you were in this family's shoe's :mad: .

HavasuDreamin'
08-02-2004, 06:51 AM
Sounds like the county prosecuter needs a new occupation. :yuk: I would have a very difficult time restraining myself in the courtroom if that was my kid who was ran over recklessly. :mad: :mad:

dmontzsta
08-02-2004, 08:06 AM
Personally I think that DUIs are let off the hook pretty easy. Even though you might drive drunk and nothing happens, except you getting pulled over and busted. Just think about all the accidents that do happen, I know those people that got behind the wheel drunk did not expect for anything to happen.
People know they should not drive drunk, yet they continue to do so, so the punishment should be higher. It is very selfish of somone to drink then drive, so they should be punhished when caught.
Losing a family member is VERY tough and to think it never would have happened if someone would have been smart is sick. If I go to partys and know I have to drive, I DO NOT drink. Planning is easy, I guess some people do not have that skill.
BTW: These people that go to jail for killing someone in a DUI might not be treated so good if word gets out what they are in their for.

Screemy1
08-02-2004, 08:47 AM
Sounds like killing a person on a PWC with a boat is about the same for killing a person on a motorcycle with a car... Life sucks with this kind of stuff going on.... I hope he does serve in Orange County and get work release... so he can pay every penny to the family that lost their father and husband.

uclahater
08-02-2004, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by BILLY.B
I don't get the statement Dave. You seem to feel that drinking and driving while at the river is part of the deal. I like alot of people have had a couple beer's while hanging out but I have "NEVER" and I repeat "NEVER" driven my boat while being intoxicated. I'd be curious had you'd react to this same situation if you were in this family's shoe's :mad: .
Billy all River Dave does is defend Drinking and Driving every chance he gets. I personally find him to be retarded on this manner and very disrespectful to those who have lost a close one because of it..
Party on Dave wouldnt want to cramp your style:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

dmontzsta
08-02-2004, 12:56 PM
My brother in law was locked up in Theo Lacy in the OC. He happened to be in the same time as that drunk that killed the two kids and their mother. He said when he got in the guy was already swolen from inmates beating him, the guards would send him to the hospital for treatment, then put him back in with the inmates and they would get him again. Bastard will probably be beaten to death, or just punked the rest of his life in prison. I bet he wished he would have just stayed the night where he was drinking or had someone else drive.

Tyson Ross
08-02-2004, 11:04 PM
I hate the term accident. They are collisions due to someone's negligence. Why do we call them accidents? Whether you are drunk or sober, driving unlawfully and killiing someone should result in the same sentence since the result is the same. Driving / boating is a privilege and unfortunately too many take it for granted and do not pay attention causing these fatal COLLISIONS. :mad:

Seadog
08-03-2004, 05:49 AM
I have found that the only people that can condone this behavior are those who have a drinking/drug "problem" or the lawyers who plan on making a lot of money to get them off.