PDA

View Full Version : Wax....

kcvega
04-06-2006, 09:07 PM
Are any of the boat waxes any different or better than a good car wax?

xs ultra
04-06-2006, 09:12 PM
cost more. ?

Beer-30
04-07-2006, 07:07 AM
Waxes are like pickups and boats. All mfgs are going an excellent job - and are all competing for the same market. Any of the upper name brands are great. After working in body shops growing up and continuing to keep paint nice through my years, I have found a few things.
Typically, the easier the wax is to put on/off, the shorter it's life span. A spray-on wax, for instance, as it will say on the label, is for EXTENDING the life of you existing wax, not for long term. Probably lasts about a week or so (between washes). A liquid wax can be very thin and easy to apply and remove. Usually about a month or so of coverage. A good paste wax can be a bear to apply and wipe off - but will last a few more months.
I have been a fan of Meguiars and really find their products to be quality stuff. I use the #26 Professional carnauba. It comes in paste or liquid. It seems to last quite well in either form. The biggest benefit is that it does not turn white when it dries. If it happens to get left along a door handle or an edge of weatherstrip, you don't see it. Having either red or dark blue vehicles - this is important for me.
The Wax Shop SUPER GLAZE is real nice stuff for easy-on-easy-off and it really brings out color. Only lasts a couple of weeks, especially in the summer, but it looks nice while it is on there.
I saw an ad for a new Turtle Wax product that is clear as water. Supposed to be long lasting. You might hunt that new product down and try it.
Hope it helps.

Beer-30
04-07-2006, 07:07 AM
cost more. ?
Like boats and electronics - you get what you pay for.

a catered life
04-07-2006, 07:15 AM
the DRIVEN line of products are great. have not used them on the cars yet but they do a great job on the boat

BlewByYou
04-07-2006, 07:26 AM
Meguires waxes are good, used them for years on my boats. :) BlewByYou

JMC
04-07-2006, 07:32 AM
http://www.superiorcarcare.net/klalpo.html

HefeRaton
04-07-2006, 07:38 AM
I use a product called Flash. This stuff works really well, but can only find it at automotive paint supply locations. A guy I know that paints only high end hot rods turned me on to this stuff and let me tell you I think it's better than any wax I've used in the past.

Havasu Cig
04-07-2006, 08:24 AM
the DRIVEN line of products are great. have not used them on the cars yet but they do a great job on the boat
I agree. I used to use Meguires but the Driven product is hands down the best stuff I have ever used. The only problem is that it will make your deck so slippery that you really have to be careful not to slip.

Mrs.Racer277
04-07-2006, 08:29 AM
I really like the Frenzy products. You can get them from Warlock25 on the boards. It is very easy to use. And smells good too. :)

Debbolas
04-07-2006, 08:32 AM
Frenzy is great! Their vinyl cleaner and protectant is cool as well.
(I saw Wax, and thought bikini :jawdrop: :D )

kevnmcd
04-07-2006, 08:34 AM
I agree. I used to use Meguires but the Driven product is hands down the best stuff I have ever used. The only problem is that it will make your deck so slippery that you really have to be careful not to slip.
Agree 100%! Used the Driven wax the last two years and is by far the best stuff I have ever used. Like HC said, be very careful cuz it makes things very slippery!

Mrs.Racer277
04-07-2006, 08:35 AM
Frenzy is great! Their vinyl cleaner and protectant is cool as well.
(I saw Wax, and thought bikini :jawdrop: :D )
OMG LOL spoken like a true blonde. That is perfect Deb.

Debbolas
04-07-2006, 08:42 AM
OMG LOL spoken like a true blonde. That is perfect Deb.
:D

jbtrailerjim
04-07-2006, 08:47 AM
I've never used anything else since I've tried Driven polishes and wax. Great stuff.

a catered life
04-07-2006, 10:17 AM
lmao did you bust your ass :cry: cause i did the same thing last year :p it was one small step for man and CRACK!!!

purrfecttremor
04-07-2006, 10:38 AM
Whats the best product for the outdrive to keep that white ugly shiat off ?

kcvega
04-07-2006, 12:57 PM
cool, thanks. I'm gonna try the Meguiars cause I can get it locally.

LOWRIVER2
04-07-2006, 01:02 PM
Meguiars no. 9 swirl remover for starter to clean surface.
Meguiars no. 20 polymer teflon for wax.
Both can be applied in direct sunlight
Works best with Orbital polisher such as a GEM. These orbitals are'nt cheap but are rebuildable and the company invented the orbital polisher.

Mrs.Racer277
04-07-2006, 01:05 PM
Hubby used a Tile and Grout Shower cleaner worked great. I hear Lime away works great too

jbtrailerjim
04-07-2006, 01:33 PM
I use Lime Away to get that stuff off.

hbpdub
04-07-2006, 02:36 PM
I have used the Driven products the wash and the wax and they both worked great! :crossx:

Havasu Cig
04-07-2006, 02:37 PM
lmao did you bust your ass :cry: cause i did the same thing last year :p it was one small step for man and CRACK!!!
Actually I did. Tony (from Eliminator) was helping me do some work on the boat and made a comment about how slippery it was and told me I was going to fall off of it and the next day I did. Thank god I hit a ladder on the way down or it might have been a hospital trip. I am a lot more careful now. You can't beat the finish though... :)

6 Dollar Boat
04-07-2006, 02:45 PM
I have used the DRIVEN products for years. Dont wear socks on a closed bow for about 6 months after waxing it, you will end up learning a lesson about gravity... :mad: :mad: :rollside: Buy DRIVEN here (http://www.driventoperfection.com/)

RitcheyRch
04-07-2006, 03:08 PM
I like Collinite 845. Originally developed for high power lines to keep them from arching.

76elimspecial
04-07-2006, 03:33 PM
EVERYBODY CHECK OUT BOAT WAX PLUS. boatwaxplus.com
THIS STUFF IS BADASS.

Beer-30
04-07-2006, 03:42 PM
EVERYBODY CHECK OUT BOAT WAX PLUS. boatwaxplus.com
THIS STUFF IS BADASS.
You mean www.boatwaxplus.com

purrfecttremor
04-07-2006, 04:27 PM
Thanks lime away it is. I have some in the garage in havi!

Burn Out
04-07-2006, 05:32 PM
I've had good luck with Babes products!
http://www.babesboats.com/index.php
:hammerhea :hammerhea

kanedog
04-07-2006, 08:38 PM
Turtle wax sprayon stuff, I install it everytime I come out of the water. its quick and easy. Is this good or bad? I haven't read if anyone waxes everytime they come off the water yet. Thanks, turtle man

Dan Lorenze
04-07-2006, 09:12 PM
I use Meguiars Tech Wax....

voodoomedman
04-07-2006, 09:30 PM
A drive shower! Keep it from getting on there in the first place. They don't cost a whole lot and it makes it look nicer to have a cool chrome thing on there too.

Havasu Cig
04-08-2006, 07:53 AM
Turtle wax sprayon stuff, I install it everytime I come out of the water. its quick and easy. Is this good or bad? I haven't read if anyone waxes everytime they come off the water yet. Thanks, turtle man
Driven makes a spray that is a concentrate that you can use when pulling out that works well. The Teflon based Driven polish / wax repels water spots in the first place and then the spay on stuff druing wipe down makes it look like the boat was just waxed again. The main thing is to get the water spots off without taking off the wax, but you also do not want to wax over the water spots because it will make them harder to get off later.

MayDaze
04-08-2006, 08:29 AM
Are you guys using the Marine Wax from Driven on your boats? Or something else

Havasu Cig
04-08-2006, 08:44 AM
I have used it on my boats the last two years and the finish is unreal. It is in a different league than anything else I have used, and I have tryed a lot of different stuff. I actually though about trying it on the vehicles as well.

MayDaze
04-08-2006, 08:49 AM
Has anyone used any Mark V Products? If so how do they compare to Driven products?

SOCALDETAIL1
04-08-2006, 05:09 PM
Has anyone used any Mark V Products? If so how do they compare to Driven products?
Thats mostly what we use. It's the professional line of Mothers & we use Waxing Frenzy. Don't waste money on on the shelf stuff.