PDA

View Full Version : Trying to get rid of too much play in the steering...

Scarab Jet
07-26-2004, 01:33 PM
I've got a tilt rotary style steering with my legend pump and have [I think] way too much play in the steering wheel. It is almost about a quarter of a turn play in that thing...
Any ideas as to how I can adjust it to get rid of it (or at least most of it)
Thanx in advance...

Scarab Jet
08-03-2004, 09:14 AM
Come on guys, 57 views and no replies... I'd appreciate any help on this...
Thanx in advance...

Wet Dream
08-03-2004, 09:19 AM
Where is the play coming from? Does the cable move at the pump end with every movement from the wheel? Or does the wheel have to move 1/4 turn before the pump end moves? If you have that much play in the wheel end, replace it. If its in the pump end, you need to figure whats loose and we can go from there.

victorfb
08-03-2004, 10:13 AM
i have the old rack and pinion style that most old jet boats came with. when i got the boat it had been sitting less engine since 1999. the cable has a 03-98 date on it but has about 1/4 " play, which tranlates to alot of play at the pump or helm. i checked on getting a new one and that also had about 1/4 " play. mine moves very freely and imagine its fairly unused since the boat sat for all this time. i was told that all the new cables are like that and the only way to remedy it is to switch to the new rotary style, but would have to do some gel work since the new ones have a smaller helm. which i would also have to replace. that is an expensive fix. i really dont want to have to repair my gel at the helm since i just did all the gel work. so im basically goiong to have run the steering the way it is for now and try to come up with a fix myself. i am thinking a duel cable set up, kind of like the what the racers use but without the pully wheels. just use two sheathed cables. and now that i hear the rotary style isnt much better ill be working harder on a fix.

roostwear
08-03-2004, 10:31 AM
Victor, you can try mine out at CBBB. I installed a new Hardin rotary in the Advantage the end of last season, and the dash mods don't show. The slop in my old steering was a combination of a tight 30 year old cable, and a worn out helm. The only play in the new steering is from where the cable enters the rotary housing. I could tighten it up more if I were that concerned. The only down side is there are no cool billet covers available :(

victorfb
08-03-2004, 10:35 AM
hummmm? id be very interested in seeing that set up mike. thanks. im sure id be able to fab up a mount that looks good without having to do any gel work. you wouldnt happen to have any pics of that do you? :D
i was thinking of the rotary style but was told i also had to replace the entire helm. that got a bit expensive at this time.

hack job
08-03-2004, 10:47 AM
my old rotary was that way i replaced it( the whole thing with cable was like 110 or some thing ) and problem gone and the boat turned way quicker ( like a quick ratio on a car);)

victorfb
08-03-2004, 10:50 AM
well my problem is that i would be going from the old rack and pinion style to the rotary and was told i need to replace the entire helm. i have the old large square center mount. its like a square beveled peice that fits inside and the helm attaches to that.

roostwear
08-03-2004, 10:57 AM
Here's a thread I posted when I replaced it. It had a rotary in it originally (a R&P wouldn't fit in an open bow), but you can get an idea what the mounting is like. I just noticed the old interior in the shots.......:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
Replacing a helm (http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=19060)

hack job
08-03-2004, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by roostwear
Here's a thread I posted when I replaced it. It had a rotary in it originally (a R&P wouldn't fit in an open bow), but you can get an idea what the mounting is like. I just noticed the old interior in the shots.......:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
Replacing a helm (http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=19060) thats a good post.
i never saw that the first time around.
its the same one i had in my spectra. it kicked ass;)

OkieDave
08-03-2004, 12:08 PM
Rex sells both types helms with cables pretty cheap. before you order one, check to see if the nut going from the cable to the tube out the back is tight. if its loose, you will have lots of slop. a little slop is not noticeable.

Scarab Jet
08-04-2004, 11:31 PM
Where is the play coming from? Does the cable move at the pump end with every movement from the wheel? Or does the wheel have to move 1/4 turn before the pump end moves? If you have that much play in the wheel end, replace it. If its in the pump end, you need to figure whats loose and we can go from there.
Thanx WD... To answer your question, in my case the wheel has to move 1/4 turn before the pump end moves. So, I guess it is the rotary helm unit itself, right? The thing that puzzles me is that this unit was brand new when I put it in just about 3 seasons ago and I've only been boating 3/4 times a season, so should that many trips cause the rotary unit to go bad already or did I have a lemon to begin with?
Is there any adjustements anywhere by the rotary helm unit that I can use to make things tighter? I looked there and couldn't see anything that I can fiddle with, but thought maybe I missed something...
Thanx again in advance for any help...

Hemicbx
08-05-2004, 05:22 AM
I'm often troubled by this as well. When I got my boat I thought there was too much slop in the steering. It has a round single cable Steermaster helm. I took the helm apart and re-lubed, checked all the bushings & everything. There was absolutely no slop in the helm, so I bought a new cable. Still have slop at the wheel. Not so much that it's unbearable, but it's noticeable.
Hemicbx

HammerDown
08-05-2004, 06:02 AM
Yep I also have a little play at my wheel...took the back cover of the rotary unit to see whats going on. Nothing to adjust, nothing looked bad so I lubed it up and forgot about it...just the nature of the beast I guess.

roostwear
08-05-2004, 07:32 AM
The helm I replaced was a Steermaster, and like a few of you, I disassembled it, cleaned and lubed it, and it wasn't any better. The culprit was actually the cable.... it was corroded inside, and since it didn't move smoothly enough, what slop was in the helm was accentuated. I priced a new cable, compared it to a new helm, and the the new helm was actually cheaper. I'm glad I went this route. What slop I have now is from where the cable enters the helm. The retaining bolt has a little play, so the cable can move back and forth a little as you turn the wheel.